Private Parties in Public Spaces - Ouch

metsfan47

OP.

How long did the private group use that part of the Crows Nest? Was it an hour which is about the average? Was it all afternoon? I think that makes a big difference.

JMO.....

When I think back to all of the cruises that we have had I cannot say that we have ever been greatly inconvenienced by the closure of a venue on the ship for a private party.

There has always been an alternative. Lots of things happen when you travel. The small stuff is not worth sweating about.

There are many, many places aboard ship where a single person can have a great view of the ocean, there are far fewer where a group can gather for conviviality in view of the sea. Get over it - the ship doesn't revolve around a single passenger.

Nor does it revolve around a small portion of the passengers just because they constitute some kind of group. Surely the vast majority of cruises have sea days enabling groups to "gather for conviviality in view of the sea" without having to do it during prime scenic cruising of relatively short duration. I wasn't posting about a single person but rather several hundred or more passengers who were at the very least highly inconvenienced or even actually prevented from adequately seeing what they had a reasonable expectation of being able to see. For anyone who thinks that fits the definition of egocentric, perhaps consulting a dictionary would clear things up.

It has also been suggested that the group may not have realized that they would be having their meeting during prime scenic cruising. That's certainly possible, nevertheless closing off a part of the Crow's Nest at that time should not have been allowed. Let the group meet at some other time. Individuals in that group can do just like everybody else: compete for space on a first come, first served basis.

No one was prevented from seeing anything. Some were not able to be in one small particular space on the ship for a short time. That still left many more places where the view was as good if not better.

We were invited to a "private party" and it was held in the Hudson Room. This makes perfect sense to me. That way everyone would be happy. A cash bar could be set up along with munchies. And if it's a very large group, rope off the area to include that other room near the Hudson Room -- the name doesn't come to me now.

We recently cruised on the Zuiderdam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska. The cruise was great, the weather cooperated (for the most part), and we had a wonderful time.

However, one situation on board really bothered us.

When the ship was traveling through the Inside Passage on the final sea day, the Captain invited everyone to relax and see the sights he was pointing out on both starboard and port sides of the ship.

He suggested that we go to the Crow's Nest for maximum visibility.

We did go to the Crow's Nest and found that half of the space (the entire port side) was closed off to us.

When we inquired about this, we were told that there was a "Private Party" and that we had to use "the other side".

Shouldn't a "Private Party" be given a private space?

Taking away half of the Crow's Nest on a sightseeing sea day seems thoughtless.

Of course, we heard all of the hoopla of this private party and were very disappointed when we heard them ooh and ahh at the whales and porpoises they all saw on the port side of the ship that we could not see.

It made those of us on the "other side" of the Crow's Nest that day feel like second-class citizens. We felt as if, even though we had all paid for our cruises, Holland America thought we did not deserve to be treated equally.

Has anyone else encountered such a humiliating situation?

Shouldn't Private Parties be held in Private spaces and not take up public spaces on a ship?

First of all you were not humiliated except in your own mind. As far as private spaces for parties all venues are multipurpose. They don't have a private space for private parties.

As far as the viewing there are plenty of viewing areas. The Crows Nest being indoors, I would not consider that to be the best viewing area. The best areas are outside. Particulary for the inside passage and whale watching the promenade deck is much better.

No one was prevented from seeing anything. Some were not able to be in one small particular space on the ship for a short time. That still left many more places where the view was as good if not better.

Exactly. There are plenty of other places to view and there are better places to view than the one that was blocked off in this instance. The other person is making much ado about nothing.

If what you say is correct and there were plenty of other places where the view was just as good if not better, why didn't the private group schedule their meeting elsewhere? That would have been the more considerate thing to do. They obviously chose that spot for a reason. Wonder what it was.

I wasn't there, so don't know exactly what occurred. I'm merely arguing for equal treatment for all passengers when it comes to use of public areas during prime scenic cruising.

If what you say is correct and there were plenty of other places where the view was just as good if not better, why didn't the private group schedule their meeting elsewhere? That would have been the more considerate thing to do. They obviously chose that spot for a reason. Wonder what it was.

I wasn't there, so don't know exactly what occurred. I'm merely arguing for equal treatment for all passengers when it comes to use of public areas during prime scenic cruising.

The reason likely was that was where the ship hotel department scheduled them to have the event. Don't blame the group.

I never arranged an event on HAL. But in general you correspond with the cruise line in advance of the sailing. Tell the designated person who handles group arrangements what day and time you would like to have it. They tell you if that is possible. They assign the time and space.

Groups do not usually tell the ship where they will have their gathering. The ship tells the group.

For scenic cruising viewing, how does anyplace beat the bow?

As for scenic viewing in Alaska, if one wants to hear the narration while viewing, the bow is the prime place to be.

Groups do not usually tell the ship where they will have their gathering. The ship tells the group.

For scenic cruising viewing, how does anyplace beat the bow?

As for scenic viewing in Alaska, if one wants to hear the narration while viewing, the bow is the prime place to be.

The bow is the best place or the outside promenade deck at either end where you can quickly move from one side or another. The only reason I would be in the Crows Nest is if it were really bad weather conditions outside.

OP.

How long did the private group use that part of the Crows Nest? Was it an hour which is about the average? Was it all afternoon? I think that makes a big difference.

JMO.....

The private group used that part of the Crow's Nest all afternoon.

The weather was rainy and raw, so standing on any deck was out of the question.

An indoor space with large glass windows was the only real option for scenic cruising that day.

An indoor space with large glass windows was the only real option for scenic cruising that day.

The cruise lines love groups. HAL in particular hosts a lot of special groups and theme groups. Groups that pay extra to be catered too. For example last December they had the National Review one week and the next week they had The Nation. It was an Alaska group cruise on HAL where Sarah Palin was "discovered". If they had it all afternoon it sounds like it may have been one of those special or theme groups. The usual private group event like a CC meet and greet are about an hour.

I doubt that the whales kept to the port side. When I cruised the inside passage the whales were all over on both sides. After seeing about 40 whales I started to get bored....

62dac5ef-ffc9-a10c.jpg62dac5ef-ffed-d544.jpg

And, of course, HAL knew that a few weeks in advance when they were scheduling meetings...

That being the case - everyone could not have fit in the Crow's Nest whether there was a party or not. The Crow's Nest can't hold everyone on the ship - obviously some found other places to view:D The room would have been full no matter what I would think;)

I understand your disappointment. The Crow's Nest was my favorite place for viewing if I could not be outside. It has the best indoor viewing with its panoramic viewing. One can easily go from side to side. Unfortunately you did not have that option. I do think HAL should look for other places for groups to meet on the scenic cruising days, especially if they are going to tie up a spot for hours. I am sorry this happened to you, but hope you still had a great cruise.

There are no public spaces on a ship. It is not a park nor a 'commons' in any legal or practical sense.

Just as there are no public spaces inside a hotel or at Disneyland, there are none on a Dam ship. You are on private property, a paying client and if the landlord (HAL in this case) opts to treat some or all of its customers better/differently than it treats you, that's its business. You can be humiliated if you so choose. Maybe if you were getting preferential treatment, you might feel special. You can also take your business elsewhere.

Yes, but when you book at a hotel you are "encouraged" to stay there because of all of the other amenties they have (ie: pool, restaurants, spa, bar, etc.). If you booked a hotel on that premise and when you arrived you found out you couldn't use one or more of those facilities you'd be pretty ticked off and probably demand a refund. When you book a cruise you a paying to use ALL of the facilities that are being offered. If they take those away from you, even for part of the time, you are not getting what you paid for. No private group should have any more or less privilege than any other paying customer!

Yes, but when you book at a hotel you are "encouraged" to stay there because of all of the other amenties they have (ie: pool, restaurants, spa, bar, etc.). If you booked a hotel on that premise and when you arrived you found out you couldn't use one or more of those facilities you'd be pretty ticked off and probably demand a refund. When you book a cruise you a paying to use ALL of the facilities that are being offered. If they take those away from you, even for part of the time, you are not getting what you paid for. No private group should have any more or less privilege than any other paying customer!

There are plenty of the facilities that are not offered to all on a cruise. If I am not in a suite I can not use the concierge lounge. On some cruise ships they have pool deck space for suite guests. The children's club looks pretty neat :) .....yet only children are allowed to use the children's club areas.......

In any case the Crows Nest was available. The group only had the port side. The complainer was not denied. Plus they were in the inside passage with means there were views on both sides. The whine is much ado about nothing.

What it sounds like some are jealous of private groups and others just like to find anything to complain about. I will play my violin for all of you all.

c6e4c81d-d036-0182.jpg

c6e4c81d-d05c-55fd.jpg

Why does everything always end up with getting money back. Let look at this another way. Those people in the private party are passengers and have just as much right to be there and viewing the sites out the windows of the Crows Nest as the OP who is complaining.

If those passengers were there not for a private party but just for viewing, would this OP have any better chance of seeing the view, no!

I have been in the Crow's Nest many times wanting to look at the view when every chair and then some have passenger already their viewing the sights of Alaska. No matter where I move I can't see, do I ask one of the passenger to get out of my way because I paid my money and I have a right to see too, absolutely not. That's just plain craziness.

Why does everything always end up with getting money back. Let look at this another way. Those people in the private party are passengers and have just as much right to be there and viewing the sites out the windows of the Crows Nest as the OP who is complaining.

If those passengers were there not for a private party but just for viewing, would this OP have any better chance of seeing the view, no!

I have been in the Crow's Nest many times wanting to look at the view when every chair and then some have passenger already their viewing the sights of Alaska. No matter where I move I can't see, do I ask one of the passenger to get out of my way because I paid my money and I have a right to see too, absolutely not. That's just plain craziness.

Exactly! There's only so much room in the Crow's Nest - it would have been full whether there was a private party or not.

There are plenty of the facilities that are not offered to all on a cruise. If I am not in a suite I can not use the concierge lounge. On some cruise ships they have pool deck space for suite guests. The children's club looks pretty neat :) .....yet only children are allowed to use the children's club areas.......

In any case the Crows Nest was available. The group only had the port side. The complainer was not denied. Plus they were in the inside passage with means there were views on both sides. The whine is much ado about nothing.

What it sounds like some are jealous of private groups and others just like to find anything to complain about. I will play my violin for all of you all.

c6e4c81d-d036-0182.jpg

c6e4c81d-d05c-55fd.jpg

With all due respect, you're wrong! You can't equate a suite with the accompanying benefits to using the Crow's Nest or any other space which is open to the general sea-going public. Taking away use of these areas for private consumption is wrong...period! In essense, they are preventing the customer from using something they paid for. Let private groups, if they so choose, use facilities that typically aren't used during the day for their meetings such as the dinning room or the theatre. Taking away prime locations is very bad PR.

First off, nobody said anything about getting money back. Re-read what I said. I said "you would probably want your money back". Secondly, you are right in that those groups have a right to go anywhere they want. So, simply don't RESTRICT access! If they want to gather in the Crow's Nest fine....but don't prevent me from doing the same thing. That's the rub!!

With all due respect, you're wrong! You can't equate a suite with the accompanying benefits to using the Crow's Nest or any other space which is open to the general sea-going public. Taking away use of these areas for private consumption is wrong...period! In essense, they are preventing the customer from using something they paid for. Let private groups, if they so choose, use facilities that typically aren't used during the day for their meetings such as the dinning room or the theatre. Taking away prime locations is very bad PR.

Actually the theatre is used a lot during the day - lecturers, bingo, etc.

The dining room is busy - breakfast - lunch & dinner. In between things have to be set up, etc. Wine tastings are sometimes done there as well as afternoon teas. All the venues on the ship are put to good use - there are very few spots that aren't;)

Actually the theatre is used a lot during the day - lecturers, bingo, etc.

The dining room is busy - breakfast - lunch & dinner. In between things have to be set up, etc. Wine tastings are sometimes done there as well as afternoon teas. All the venues on the ship are put to good use - there are very few spots that aren't;)

So, if private groups wanted to use the pools exclusively you'd be ok with that. What if groups used all of the prime areas? Would you be ok with sitting in your stateroom?

I really don't understand why some people choose to defend cruise lines no matter what they do. HAL is a fine line. That doesn't mean they don't make mistakes or can improve on there services. There may be as many as 3000 passengers on board a ship. Letting a select few deprive those people of the opportunity to use facilities they paid for is wrong, wrong, wrong!

Archived