Private Parties in Public Spaces - Ouch

metsfan47

The M&G's are not ROPED OFF. There is a sign saying CC M&G or some such but if I wanted to look out the window up there I could walk right in - actually our group would have taken people in and welcomed them.

Most M and G's I have attended were roped off and displayed a private function sign.

That is funny. You are concerned that a private party in a public area will infringe on your private cabana in a public area. You get no sympathy from me.

igraf

I know that there is a large group (National Review) on one of our weeks on the NA in November. I have seen the Lido pool area closed down in early afternoon on other ships to get ready for functions. We have rented a Lido Cabana for this cruise. Has anyone had any experience being told their cabana is being closed down to prepare for a private party? If so were you compensated for the time you were unable to use it?

That is funny. You are concerned that a private party in a public area will infringe on your private cabana in a public area. You get no sympathy from me.

igraf

I am not asking for your sympathy. I asked a question out of curiosity so I would know what to expect. I do not believe that I have ever interacted with you in a rude way so I am puzzled by your animosity. Isn't CC all about asking questions and getting answers.

I make no apology for renting a cabana as they are offered for sale If that makes me a bad person then mea culpa. I do not like champagne though and was thinking of directing the stewards to offer it to someone nearby every day.

I am not asking for your sympathy. I asked a question out of curiosity so I would know what to expect. I do not believe that I have ever interacted with you in a rude way so I am puzzled by your animosity. Isn't CC all about asking questions and getting answers.

I make no apology for renting a cabana as they are offered for sale If that makes me a bad person then mea culpa. I do not like champagne though and was thinking of directing the stewards to offer it to someone nearby every day.

I would be happy to come by:p:p but I won't be on that cruise:(

Pretty sure you will have a good time Sapper1 -

btw there is nothing wrong with asking questions - isn't that what the boards are for:confused:

I see the private cabanas as the same thing as a roped-off private area. If you are willing to rent a cabana then you have no basis to complain about a private party getting in your way.

This is not personal, just like I do not have anything personal against those in the private party. I object only to the privatization of public areas in both cases.

igraf

I see the private cabanas as the same thing as a roped-off private area. If you are willing to rent a cabana then you have no basis to complain about a private party getting in your way.

This is not personal, just like I do not have anything personal against those in the private party. I object only to the privatization of public areas in both cases.

igraf

First of all - be clear we don't do the cabanas - second of all this is not a public area - people have paid extra for it - so I don't think it's the same thing.

That's to me like saying a cabana on HMC is roped off for an hour even though you paid for it for the day.

We don't pay extra for the other public spaces on the ship - the cabanas are NOT a public space - they are a reserved, paid for space. JMHO;)

igraf

I can see the direction this thread is going to take so I will stop replying to you at this point. We can agree to disagree. I only asked a simple question to find out what the policy was.

If HAL did away with cabanas they would look for other ways to increase revenue---like raising fares or charging by the hour for deck chairs. There are many possibilities. How about charging for library books, game rental, fee for daily news sheet, fee for evening shows, gym use? I bet people would dislike those options more than they dislike the idea of cabanas.

I have been on three cruises that featured the cabanas when I did not rent one.

They did not impact my cruise in the slightest.

My husband is elderly and he finds it hard to sit for a long time at one of the shady tables and chairs. I thought, bad person that I am, that this option would make it more comfortable for him.

I can see the direction this thread is going to take so I will stop replying to you at this point. We can agree to disagree. I only asked a simple question to find out what the policy was.

If HAL did away with cabanas they would look for other ways to increase revenue---like raising fares or charging by the hour for deck chairs. There are many possibilities. How about charging for library books, game rental, fee for daily news sheet, fee for evening shows, gym use? I bet people would dislike those options more than they dislike the idea of cabanas.

I have been on three cruises that featured the cabanas when I did not rent one.

They did not impact my cruise in the slightest.

My husband is elderly and he finds it hard to sit for a long time at one of the shady tables and chairs. I thought, bad person that I am, that this option would make it more comfortable for him.

I think the cabanas are a perfect fit for your husband. He will get to enjoy being on deck but not have to walk alot or be in the sun. Do not pay attention when people are just looking to stir the pot or be abrasive. You were well within your rights to ask this question about a space you paid for.

I agree completely that renting these spaces keeps HAL from nickel and diming the guests. I am ok with whatever policys and procedures HAL puts in place for the renting of these cabanas, as long as they communicate it and stick to it.

HAL keeps the rates so low for a 7 day cruise, its these things that help keep our rates low, and frankly everyone should be greatful for low fares.

I think if more people sailed on the two ships that have these spaces for rent, or rented these cabanas, more people would understand that they are a great addition for many reasons. They are almost always sold out. Just because you see an empty cabana, does not mean it was not rented. On my sailings they were always sold out. This next sailing, there are 2 left.

I didn't see any animosity, simply the pointing out of an ironic statement. There have been lots of people who railed against the cabanas as "infringing" on public space...

You can't use the spa until 5pm because the spa people decided that. They are giving tours and raffling off non-prizes to sell more services. And that's fine, as long as you are aware when you book your "week" that it's only 6 days.

I agree completely hrhdhd-

When the cabanas are booked, they send you information about when they are available, whats available etc. They are telling you up front the policys & procedures, etc. You knowingly make your booking because of that. I am sure the same with the T-Suite.

I think the only issue that can arise, is when HAL does something different than what they have communicated. Which is rare. I think that with those who rent the cabanas, etc that we only want what has been promised, paid for and communicated. And if that can not be accomidated, then communication is the key.

We on average, pay more for our cabanas on ship than some pay for an inside fare. HAL usually does an awesome job with the cabanas IMO. They are one of the reasons why we choose to spend our $ with HAL and we feel the luxury they offer seperates HAL from other lines.

Not everyone can be in the Crow's Nest but everyone SHOULD have a chance to be in the Crows Nest. They should have found a better time to schedule this event or perhaps held it in an unused level of the dining room.

Roy

Absolutely! No one should be given preference when it comes to public areas during prime scenic cruising time. And it is nothing short of exceedingly bad manners to even request reserved spaces at such a time. It should be first come, first served.

beg to differ but I have seen them roped off - on the Oesterdam for one.

Our group was large enough on both the Prinsendam and the NA that the Crow's Nest was CLOSED due to private party (our CC meet and greet) so no need to rope it off. I've seen some not roped off as well - but definitely there is space reserved for the M & G;)

It really doesn't matter - the M & G is still taking up public space just as other functions do.

I agree with Kazu, we had a roll call of over a hundred on our South Pacific cruise and they rope off part of the Crow's Nest.

Absolutely! No one should be given preference when it comes to public areas during prime scenic cruising time. And it is nothing short of exceedingly bad manners to even request reserved spaces at such a time. It should be first come, first served.

I guess you need to take that up with the Hotel Manager, but I can tell you if it is planned by him and the Captain, I wouldn't ruffle your feathers or their's.

We recently cruised on the Zuiderdam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska. The cruise was great, the weather cooperated (for the most part), and we had a wonderful time.

However, one situation on board really bothered us.

When the ship was traveling through the Inside Passage on the final sea day, the Captain invited everyone to relax and see the sights he was pointing out on both starboard and port sides of the ship.

He suggested that we go to the Crow's Nest for maximum visibility.

We did go to the Crow's Nest and found that half of the space (the entire port side) was closed off to us.

When we inquired about this, we were told that there was a "Private Party" and that we had to use "the other side".

Shouldn't a "Private Party" be given a private space?

Taking away half of the Crow's Nest on a sightseeing sea day seems thoughtless.

Of course, we heard all of the hoopla of this private party and were very disappointed when we heard them ooh and ahh at the whales and porpoises they all saw on the port side of the ship that we could not see.

It made those of us on the "other side" of the Crow's Nest that day feel like second-class citizens. We felt as if, even though we had all paid for our cruises, Holland America thought we did not deserve to be treated equally.

Has anyone else encountered such a humiliating situation?

Shouldn't Private Parties be held in Private spaces and not take up public spaces on a ship?

On practically every cruise I have been on the Port side of the Crows Nest has been closed for a few hours due to a private party. On my last cruise I was at a "Cruise Critic Meet and Greet and we met on the Port Side of the Crows Nest.

One good thing about this thread - it made me re-check our M & G dates and times to make sure it is not a scenic cruising time. Something I will keep in mind for the future;)

I guess you need to take that up with the Hotel Manager, but I can tell you if it is planned by him and the Captain, I wouldn't ruffle your feathers or their's.

I'm not particularly worried about their feathers. If it happens on a cruise we're on, they and the cruise company home office will hear about it. My objection may well fall on deaf ears, but if everyone passively submits to poor treatment such as this nothing will ever be done about it.

The "it's all about me" attitude which would lead to a group making such an egocentric request is highly inappropriate and one of the root causes of the coarsening of society at all levels.

The "it's all about me" attitude which would lead to a group making such an egocentric request is highly inappropriate and one of the root causes of the coarsening of society at all levels.

Actually, I'd find the person whining about a group meeting to be the one exhibiting an egocentric "it's all about me" attitude. There are many, many places aboard ship where a single person can have a great view of the ocean, there are far fewer where a group can gather for conviviality in view of the sea. Get over it - the ship doesn't revolve around a single passenger.

And yet, it is just the "it's all about me" attitude which began this thread. Sometimes it's about other people's needs. If CC members want to have a place for their meetings -- usually in the Crow's Nest -- they will have to learn to share instead of complain. I am tired of the "me first" tone of many of the posts on this and other threads, especially the ones that feature the word "compensation."

Did anyone consider that the private party group did not even have a clue that they would be using prime inside viewing area during the time they scheduled their meeting? I, personally, cannot automatically place the blame on the group for this reason.

Did anyone consider that the private party group did not even have a clue that they would be using prime inside viewing area during the time they scheduled their meeting? I' date=' personally, cannot automatically place the blame on the group for this reason.[/quote']

very valid point - and the ship never considered it either;) There are lots of private get togethers - sometimes the time is set by the ship due to different things going on. For example Trivia might be at 10, happy hour at 4, another function at 11 - Functions are rarely at lunch time so sometimes they are 'slipped into' an open slot.

And yet, it is just the "it's all about me" attitude which began this thread. Sometimes it's about other people's needs. If CC members want to have a place for their meetings -- usually in the Crow's Nest -- they will have to learn to share instead of complain. I am tired of the "me first" tone of many of the posts on this and other threads, especially the ones that feature the word "compensation."

Very true - there should be no problem with sharing. I brought up the M&G's as they are a function and theoretically deprive others a space in the location just as wine tastings, Trivia and various other things do.;)

There is no difference between a private gathering in the Pinnacle Grill for the suite luncheon, a M & G in the crow's nest (usually) for cc members or a private party for a different group. Who knows - they could have been 4* mariners invited to a reception?

Would be interesting to know if the op went to the M&G - because then - they were on the opposite side of the fence;)

Folks,

Remember back when the Crow's Nest was closed just about every day on one voyage for the Art Auction Crowd? After the uproar, I never heard of another group given access on such a scale. HAL heard, HAL acted. Having to share space with a group is not the end of the world. Usually these things last about an hour or so and take up a small portion of the space. I have attended group functions where we had to share with dance lessons or with trivia. Not the end of the world.

In the future, I too will be careful to schedule our M&G on days when scenic cruising is not scheduled but it isn't always up to us.

Let's all cut each other some slack here. :)

Archived