Private Parties in Public Spaces - Ouch

metsfan47

I know that there is a large group (National Review) on one of our weeks on the NA in November. I have seen the Lido pool area closed down in early afternoon on other ships to get ready for functions. We have rented a Lido Cabana for this cruise. Has anyone had any experience being told their cabana is being closed down to prepare for a private party? If so were you compensated for the time you were unable to use it?

We were on the NA with the National Review last December, and another larger group the following week. The Lido pool area wasn't shut down to our knowledge. Other than a couple of gatherings in the show lounge during the day, and one reception in the Crow's Nest at night, hardly noticed the group.

We were on the NA with the National Review last December, and another larger group the following week. The Lido pool area wasn't shut down to our knowledge. Other than a couple of gatherings in the show lounge during the day, and one reception in the Crow's Nest at night, hardly noticed the group.

Thanks for the reply. It most likely won't be an issue and probably would not have occurred to me had it not been for this thread.

I know that there is a large group (National Review) on one of our weeks on the NA in November. I have seen the Lido pool area closed down in early afternoon on other ships to get ready for functions. We have rented a Lido Cabana for this cruise. Has anyone had any experience being told their cabana is being closed down to prepare for a private party? If so were you compensated for the time you were unable to use it?

The Lido deck cabana usage is for daytime only whether there's a private party going on later or not. You will not be asked to leave the cabana early. They set up the public areas first. But the cabanas are closed off in the evenings and at night regardless of any other event.

Let's hope this does not happen. We were not refunded when the retreat was not available to us because of harsh weather, it was shut down. Also another time our Cabana was not ready/staffed on embarkation day although we had a week rental and confirmed in writing it could be used on said day...

If this happens lets hope they take care of you. The cabanas are still the best purchase on ship IMO. Let's hope the head talks to the hand. Only issue we have ever really had with HAL is communication. If I were you I'd contact the ships coordinatior and the group coordinatior to find out in advance. Might save you some time onboard.

How can a cabana be ready on embarkation day?:confused: There's 9 million things going on,people getting off passengers getting on,4 million pieces of luggage brought aboard fuel,water,grub,etc,and you want your cabana ready? That's laughable. I book the spa for the week,and can't use it till around 5pm at the earliest,why because they've got 9 million things happening.

I understand that the bottom line rules, but keep in mind that HAL advertises its venues. I'm shown pictures of places on the ship and told they will be accessible.

On our last NA Caribbean cruise the pool was closed off for a private party one night.

I don't swim at night, but I can see that it was inconvenient for others. And it wasn't a pool party, it was just a party located around the pool.

How can a cabana be ready on embarkation day?:confused: There's 9 million things going on,people getting off passengers getting on,4 million pieces of luggage brought aboard fuel,water,grub,etc,and you want your cabana ready? That's laughable. I book the spa for the week,and can't use it till around 5pm at the earliest,why because they've got 9 million things happening.

The cabanas are promised by 3pm, as champagne is available then. On our B2B, one sailaway day they struggled to have them available by 3, the other day they were ready by 1pm.

On our last NA Caribbean cruise the pool was closed off for a private party one night.

My bolding. The cabanas are only available until 5pm. They are closed after that. On our many HAL cruises, Lido pool activity drops significantly after 6pm. Yes, we have seen a person or three there after 7, but that is a very small number of the pax who are using it. Closing the pool area after 5 or 6 impacts a very small number of people.

He suggested that we go to the Crow's Nest for maximum visibility.

We did go to the Crow's Nest and found that half of the space (the entire port side) was closed off to us.

When we inquired about this, we were told that there was a "Private Party" and that we had to use "the other side".

Shouldn't a "Private Party" be given a private space?

Taking away half of the Crow's Nest on a sightseeing sea day seems thoughtless.

Well, it's the same space (Port side of the Crows Nest) that is typically closed off for the Cruise Critic Meet & Great on just about every cruise. It's done on a Sea Day and I'm sure the folks in Seattle did not know that whales would be spotted at that exact time.

Like mamaofami experienced when she booked a Lanai cabin- she wanted to use the access to the Prom deck, not get compensation for non-use (again a future OBC I presume).

She received the OBC on the cruise she was on.

I understand that the bottom line rules, but keep in mind that HAL advertises its venues. I'm shown pictures of places on the ship and told they will be accessible.

As does every hotel I know. Yet they won't let me in to a venue when some private party has booked it (wedding, conference, meeting, etc.) why should a ship be any different? Now, if it were never available during your cruise, there might be some push back...

Most all roll calls 'meet and greets' are held in the Crow's Nest. With large groups half of it can be closed for several hours.

The Captain himself holds several parties up in the Crow's Nest and again half the area is closed off for several more hours. Sometimes they hold the suite party up in the Crow's Nest which can take up to three quarters of the Crow's Nest

Private parties go on all the time, they try not to take over more then half of an area so that the other passenger can have some space too. They can be sponsored by anyone including the Captain. Trust me if you are one of the passengers that are invited to these parties, you don't mind a bit. Remember as Kakalina says"......Doesn't pay to tick off the Captain."

As far as holding these parties in private spaces, there really isn't any. Except where the officers offices are, kitchens, crew living quarters, most every spot on the ship is open to everyone.

On our last cruise they held the suite lunch in the Pinnacle one afternoon, so guess what, the Pinnacle was closed for lunch service that day. I'm sure there were passengers who were not happy about that either but..........

They try to hold these parties where there is liquor service and food service, that is why the Crow's Nest is so handy and it has the size to accomodate these groups. They also use the Pinnacle and the MDR for a lot of funtion too.

Private parties happen all the time on cruise ship. I really don't understand why this would be humiliating to any one. Inconveniencing yes, but most of these parties don't last but a few hours.

I ask because there was a LARGE Charter aboard Zuiderdam during that cruise:

Fantasy - Vampires at Sea - Alaska Round Trip Vancouver - Zuiderdam - 06/23/2012

Now, with a Charter, they have paid to use that public space and I think we should look on it as they were decent enough NOT to close the entire Crow's Nest, which is what normally would happen for a larger charter.

I am sorry that you felt humiliated/frustrated/very understandably upset.

BUT, there are/were so many other places that you could have gone to, public areas, to view from the same side of the ship.

In this case it was a No Win situation for anyone other than the Charter Fantasy Group.

Joanie

A large charter ... would have paid for the entire sailing and all facilities would have been available only to that group, as they would be the only ones onboard.

Charters and large groups are not the same.

Because before booking, I was sent information that it was. My 2 cruises on the same ship since then they were ready and staffed on embarkation day and had sail away celebrations. So, it was just another instance of the head not talking to the hands. Have you ever booked one? You think its "laughable" that HAL states that they would be ready? Thats not really up to me what they say. Just as long as they do what they say. Communication is always the key.

I ask because there was a LARGE Charter aboard Zuiderdam during that cruise:

Fantasy - Vampires at Sea - Alaska Round Trip Vancouver - Zuiderdam - 06/23/2012

Joanie, they were on the June 16th cruise, not June 23rd.

Most all roll calls 'meet and greets' are held in the Crow's Nest. With large groups half of it can be closed for several hours.

The Captain himself holds several parties up in the Crow's Nest and again half the area is closed off for several more hours. Sometimes they hold the suite party up in the Crow's Nest which can take up to three quarters of the Crow's Nest

Private parties go on all the time, they try not to take over more then half of an area so that the other passenger can have some space too. They can be sponsored by anyone including the Captain. Trust me if you are one of the passengers that are invited to these parties, you don't mind a bit. Remember as Kakalina says"......Doesn't pay to tick off the Captain."

As far as holding these parties in private spaces, there really isn't any. Except where the officers offices are, kitchens, crew living quarters, most every spot on the ship is open to everyone.

On our last cruise they held the suite lunch in the Pinnacle one afternoon, so guess what, the Pinnacle was closed for lunch service that day. I'm sure there were passengers who were not happy about that either but..........

They try to hold these parties where there is liquor service and food service, that is why the Crow's Nest is so handy and it has the size to accomodate these groups. They also use the Pinnacle and the MDR for a lot of funtion too.

Private parties happen all the time on cruise ship. I really don't understand why this would be humiliating to any one. Inconveniencing yes, but most of these parties don't last but a few hours.

Agreed - on some ships - Trivia is in the Crow's Nes (my Maasdam cruise), wine tasting in the Explorers' Lounge (prinsendam cruise) so areas are being used all the time. They might not be 'roped off' - but they are certainly being used. There are lots of things on the go on the ship and I've never seen any real impact - but that's just me:)

She received the OBC on the cruise she was on.

Glad to hear that. Most often OBC is given for a future cruise, not a refund on the cruise where there was a problem. I knew HAL had made some kind of adjustment for her problem, but must have missed where she said it was made on her Bermuda cruise fare.

I ask because there was a LARGE Charter aboard Zuiderdam during that cruise

Going to nitpick a bit, but there is no such thing as a charter on a regular cruise; charters stake over the whole ship. You are talking about a group on a regular cruise.

Public areas are often taken over by private events on charters too! Cruise Critic Meet & Greets, TA sponsored parties, charter company's events for VIPs.

The M&G's are not ROPED OFF. There is a sign saying CC M&G or some such but if I wanted to look out the window up there I could walk right in - actually our group would have taken people in and welcomed them.

The M&G's are not ROPED OFF. There is a sign saying CC M&G or some such but if I wanted to look out the window up there I could walk right in - actually our group would have taken people in and welcomed them.

beg to differ but I have seen them roped off - on the Oesterdam for one.

Our group was large enough on both the Prinsendam and the NA that the Crow's Nest was CLOSED due to private party (our CC meet and greet) so no need to rope it off. I've seen some not roped off as well - but definitely there is space reserved for the M & G;)

It really doesn't matter - the M & G is still taking up public space just as other functions do.

Money talks and if someone is willing to spend to get that private space then HAL or any other cruise line will allow them to book it. I don't like it but I understand.

There's no charge for the space, although there is for the food and drink.

I book the spa for the week,and can't use it till around 5pm at the earliest,why because they've got 9 million things happening.

You can't use the spa until 5pm because the spa people decided that. They are giving tours and raffling off non-prizes to sell more services. And that's fine, as long as you are aware when you book your "week" that it's only 6 days.

You can't use the spa until 5pm because the spa people decided that. They are giving tours and raffling off non-prizes to sell more services. And that's fine, as long as you are aware when you book your "week" that it's only 6 days.

Yes I'm well aware it's only 6 days. I don't go to the front desk and complain either. It's not imperative that I get every second I've paid for in the spa,nor do I whine about it on a cruise forum.

beg to differ but I have seen them roped off - on the Oesterdam for one.

Our group was large enough on both the Prinsendam and the NA that the Crow's Nest was CLOSED due to private party (our CC meet and greet) so no need to rope it off. I've seen some not roped off as well - but definitely there is space reserved for the M & G;)

It really doesn't matter - the M & G is still taking up public space just as other functions do.

I agree.

I haven't been to that many M&G's but those I did attend had a 'private party' sign at the entrance and the area was roped off.

Archived