Private Parties in Public Spaces - Ouch

metsfan47

We recently cruised on the Zuiderdam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska. The cruise was great, the weather cooperated (for the most part), and we had a wonderful time.

However, one situation on board really bothered us.

When the ship was traveling through the Inside Passage on the final sea day, the Captain invited everyone to relax and see the sights he was pointing out on both starboard and port sides of the ship.

He suggested that we go to the Crow's Nest for maximum visibility.

We did go to the Crow's Nest and found that half of the space (the entire port side) was closed off to us.

When we inquired about this, we were told that there was a "Private Party" and that we had to use "the other side".

Shouldn't a "Private Party" be given a private space?

Taking away half of the Crow's Nest on a sightseeing sea day seems thoughtless.

Of course, we heard all of the hoopla of this private party and were very disappointed when we heard them ooh and ahh at the whales and porpoises they all saw on the port side of the ship that we could not see.

It made those of us on the "other side" of the Crow's Nest that day feel like second-class citizens. We felt as if, even though we had all paid for our cruises, Holland America thought we did not deserve to be treated equally.

Has anyone else encountered such a humiliating situation?

Shouldn't Private Parties be held in Private spaces and not take up public spaces on a ship?

We recently cruised on the Zuiderdam round trip from Vancouver to Alaska. The cruise was great, the weather cooperated (for the most part), and we had a wonderful time.

When the ship was traveling through the Inside Passage on the final sea day, the Captain invited everyone to relax and see the sights he was pointing out on both starboard and port sides of the ship.

We did go to the Crow's Nest and found that half of the space (the entire port side) was closed off to us.

When we inquired about this, we were told that there was a "Private Party" and that we had to use "the other side".

Of course, we heard all of the hoopla of this private party and were very disappointed when we heard them ooh and ahh at the whales and porpoises they all saw on the port side of the ship that we could not see.

It made those of us on the "other side" of the Crow's Nest that day feel like second-class citizens. We felt as if, even though we had all paid for our cruises, Holland America thought we did not deserve to be treated equally.

Shouldn't Private Parties be held in Private spaces and not take up public spaces on a ship?

there are very few private spaces on the ships in reality.

Most cruise critic meet and greets are in the crow's nest. They either close it off all together or 1/2 way depending upon the group. Now, in all honesty, this doesn't sound like a meet and greet get together - but people do want to have get togethers.

From the other view point - if they were a large group and couldn't get a get together - there would be another complaint.

there is no right answer on most of HAL's ships. There are limited 'private spaces' on many and you basically use a public space for any get together.

Totally understand your feelings - just wanted to explain why it happens.

We have not experienced that on HAL, but have on other cruise lines. We made a point to complain to the captain about it !

It is completely unfair for you as a paying passenger to not have access to public areas of the ship. After all that is why they are called "PUBLIC" Areas. And yes we felt like second class passengers when it happened to us.

Its not uncommon for private functions to be held in public spaces depriving other passengers of use of that area for a while. CC Meet & Greets are such functions.

But I agree, with you. On a day where that area is prime viewing on a scenic cruise day, another area should have been used or the function should have been scheduled at another time.

BTW: Go Yankees!

WE know that everyone on board couldn't fit into the Crow's Nest - so what difference does it make that the "crowd" was a private party or half the ship's passengers? Was the Sky Deck closed, also? The Lido deck aft? Both are great places to be able to see port and starboard at the same time.

Groups like to meet and the Crow's Nest in the afternoon is usually a good place for that to happen.

WE know that everyone on board couldn't fit into the Crow's Nest - so what difference does it make that the "crowd" was a private party or half the ship's passengers? Was the Sky Deck closed, also? The Lido deck aft? Both are great places to be able to see port and starboard at the same time.

Groups like to meet and the Crow's Nest in the afternoon is usually a good place for that to happen.

Not everyone can be in the Crow's Nest but everyone SHOULD have a chance to be in the Crows Nest. They should have found a better time to schedule this event or perhaps held it in an unused level of the dining room.

I have experienced this on Celebrity but it was not half the equivalent of the Crow's Nest, it was the entire venue and it was every morning. I will be returning to Celebrity in December for my nephews wedding, but aside from that I expect it will be a LONG time before I sail with them. Very poor planning.

Roy

I don't understand how this could be humiliating. Did the other passengers tease you or something?

I know that there is a large group (National Review) on one of our weeks on the NA in November. I have seen the Lido pool area closed down in early afternoon on other ships to get ready for functions. We have rented a Lido Cabana for this cruise. Has anyone had any experience being told their cabana is being closed down to prepare for a private party? If so were you compensated for the time you were unable to use it?

The difference is that if it was just a bunch of passengers, and not a private party, everyone would have been able to look out both sides of the Crow's Nest. Because this was a private party, the OP was told they had to use the other side.

It does help when it's mentioned in the daily bulletin.

It saves trudging wherever and being turned away.

It was not mentioned in the daily bulletin nor was any announcement made.

Being turned away can be humiliating, and Holland America should not put any of us in this kind of position.

I know that there is a large group (National Review) on one of our weeks on the NA in November. I have seen the Lido pool area closed down in early afternoon on other ships to get ready for functions. We have rented a Lido Cabana for this cruise. Has anyone had any experience being told their cabana is being closed down to prepare for a private party? If so were you compensated for the time you were unable to use it?

Compensation is not always the answer and Lord knows OBC on a future cruise isn't the answer either (since you have to pay thousands for another cruise to get a small refund on the previous cruise where the problem occured- my pet peeve. I returned merchandise to Macy's today. They gave me an immediate refund; they did not tell me I'd get a discount when I bought another dress,). When you rent a Lido Cabana it is because you want and should expect use of a Lido Cabana. Like mamaofami experienced when she booked a Lanai cabin- she wanted to use the access to the Prom deck, not get compensation for non-use (again a future OBC I presume).

This happened on our Zaandam Alaska cruise last year too. It's not something that spoiled my day, however when one side of the Crow's Nest is roped off, everyone else has to crowd into the other side. That was annoying, you couldn't get a decent view or seat.

Most private events I have attended are held for only 1 hour. So if half of the Crows Nest was roped off for more that that on the day of cruising in Alaska waters, I think I would have complained also. On the other hand, the ship makes lots of money for extra drinks and snacks when ordered for a private event.

When I was scheduling the M&Gs for the 2013 Grand Med, I was asked if one meeting could be changed so all passengers could enjoy the sail through the Bosporus. It was presented as a way for the CC members to see the passage, not as a way to open the Crow's Nest to more people. We made the change without any hesitation.

On a different cruise on the Prinsendam, Thom Faulkner, the CD, came to apologize because another group had been booked into the Crow's Nest while out meeting was still in progress. We had no problem with sharing the space and even sent our leftover cookies and coffee to them; they were delighted.

I ask because there was a LARGE Charter aboard Zuiderdam during that cruise:

Fantasy - Vampires at Sea - Alaska Round Trip Vancouver - Zuiderdam - 06/23/2012

Now, with a Charter, they have paid to use that public space and I think we should look on it as they were decent enough NOT to close the entire Crow's Nest, which is what normally would happen for a larger charter.

I am sorry that you felt humiliated/frustrated/very understandably upset.

BUT, there are/were so many other places that you could have gone to, public areas, to view from the same side of the ship.

In this case it was a No Win situation for anyone other than the Charter Fantasy Group.

Joanie

It can be very annoying when you can't use space you feel you paid for. Once in the CN during a meet and greet they had scheduled bridge players at the same time. One of the card players stomped over to complain about the noise and was disconcerted to find the Captain the one on the microphone making the "noise". He continued to complain in a very loud voice. From that day on the CN was closed off to the card players. Doesn't pay to tick off the Captain.

We found it very irritating that every time they did hold a private event in the CN ( on S&R class) they closed off the smoking side which left us with nowhere cool to sit and enjoy a drink and a smoke. Did it ruin our cruise? No. Were we frustrated by this? Yes, but some things you just have to take in stride.

There are no public spaces on a ship. It is not a park nor a 'commons' in any legal or practical sense.

Just as there are no public spaces inside a hotel or at Disneyland, there are none on a Dam ship. You are on private property, a paying client and if the landlord (HAL in this case) opts to treat some or all of its customers better/differently than it treats you, that's its business. You can be humiliated if you so choose. Maybe if you were getting preferential treatment, you might feel special. You can also take your business elsewhere.

I ask because there was a LARGE Charter aboard Zuiderdam during that cruise:

Fantasy - Vampires at Sea - Alaska Round Trip Vancouver - Zuiderdam - 06/23/2012

Now, with a Charter, they have paid to use that public space and I think we should look on it as they were decent enough NOT to close the entire Crow's Nest, which is what normally would happen for a larger charter.

I am sorry that you felt humiliated/frustrated/very understandably upset.

BUT, there are/were so many other places that you could have gone to, public areas, to view from the same side of the ship.

In this case it was a No Win situation for anyone other than the Charter Fantasy Group.

Joanie

Hang on a minute Joanie.... other pax have paid to use that space too. Unless you are told when booking that portions of the ship will not be available to you, then I don't think it applies that a group has paid for extra space and only those people can use that area.

Hang on a minute Joanie.... other pax have paid to use that space too. Unless you are told when booking that portions of the ship will not be available to you, then I don't think it applies that a group has paid for extra space and only those people can use that area.

Agreed!

Let's hope this does not happen. We were not refunded when the retreat was not available to us because of harsh weather, it was shut down. Also another time our Cabana was not ready/staffed on embarkation day although we had a week rental and confirmed in writing it could be used on said day...

If this happens lets hope they take care of you. The cabanas are still the best purchase on ship IMO. Let's hope the head talks to the hand. Only issue we have ever really had with HAL is communication. If I were you I'd contact the ships coordinatior and the group coordinatior to find out in advance. Might save you some time onboard.

Let's hope this does not happen. We were not refunded when the retreat was not available to us because of harsh weather, it was shut down. Also another time our Cabana was not ready/staffed on embarkation day although we had a week rental and confirmed in writing it could be used on said day...

If this happens lets hope they take care of you. The cabanas are still the best purchase on ship IMO. Let's hope the head talks to the hand. Only issue we have ever really had with HAL is communication. If I were you I'd contact the ships coordinatior and the group coordinatior to find out in advance. Might save you some time onboard.

I think I would be very understanding if the area were closed due to weather as that would be out of HAL's control.

Renting out an area that they already rented to me would be looked at differently. I think I will wait and see what happens---no point in creating a fuss in advance. It might be at a time when we did not want to use it anyway.

Archived