Passport 6 month rule?

When we renewed ours, it was not 10 years from the original issue date but was 10 years from the date they renewed it. We lost several months.
I think you misunderstood sapete - it's always 10 years from the issue date of the new one, so everyone loses a few months unless you wait until after it actually expires. But they only cost $0.92/month.

In order for us to get a 5 year passport, which has to have 6 months validity and takes anywhere from 9 days to 17 to rreceive, we have less time and have to get a picture also and it must meet all kinds of qualifications. Costs $15 plus 13% tax here in Ontario for the picture. No shiny face, no smiling, etc.

We do it because we have to. We do have photocopies of our passport which we have with us on shore but have seldom had to use. Most islands anywhere do not care. Only place was St. Pierre & Miquelon. It is French near Newfoundland.

I keep a copy of our passport in the desk near the computer as I always have to fill in the number when booking airfare or a cruise. Makes it easier to run to the basement for the locked cabinet.

I thought it was closer than that but to be truthful I don't keep up on that. I wonder why the heck it takes so long. That said, it's taken me an eternity to get my Nexus card.

Canadians take heart, 10 year passports are coming soon. They will, however, cost more.

From the Canadian passport website:

ePassport

Enhanced security

Starting in the spring of 2013, all new Canadian passports issued will be electronic passports, or ePassports. The exact date will be announced later. At that time, adult applicants will have the option of a 5- or 10-year ePassport for both first-time applications and renewals, while children's ePassports will be issued for a maximum of 5 years. The Canadian ePassport will have an electronic chip embedded in the back cover of the book. The chip adds an extra layer of security to the passport and makes it more tamper-proof.

The chip in the ePassport stores the same personal information that you see on page 2 of the passport (except for the holder’s signature), the photo and a country-specific digital security feature (or "signature") that proves the passport was issued by the Government of Canada.

Canadians take heart, 10 year passports are coming soon. They will, however, cost more.

From the Canadian passport website:

ePassport

Enhanced security

Starting in the spring of 2013, all new Canadian passports issued will be electronic passports, or ePassports. The exact date will be announced later. At that time, adult applicants will have the option of a 5- or 10-year ePassport for both first-time applications and renewals, while children's ePassports will be issued for a maximum of 5 years. The Canadian ePassport will have an electronic chip embedded in the back cover of the book. The chip adds an extra layer of security to the passport and makes it more tamper-proof.

The chip in the ePassport stores the same personal information that you see on page 2 of the passport (except for the holder’s signature), the photo and a country-specific digital security feature (or "signature") that proves the passport was issued by the Government of Canada.

They expect the 10 year passports to begin the Spring 2013, just read it in the Snow Bird magazine (though we are not snowbirds) and the cost is expected to Be $160.00. They will give 5 year passports if you request this and they cost $120.00.

Ours expire March 2016 so will renew Sept. 2015 so we are always within the 6 month validity though for the US, they are valid up until the day of expiry.

They expect the 10 year passports to begin the Spring 2013, just read it in the Snow Bird magazine (though we are not snowbirds) and the cost is expected to Be $160.00. They will give 5 year passports if you request this and they cost $120.00.

Ours expire March 2016 so will renew Sept. 2015 so we are always within the 6 month validity though for the US, they are valid up until the day of expiry.

I just renewed mine today. It will be 5 years for me.

Sent my passport off last week for renewal because of 6 month requirement. I feel like a woman without a country at the moment.Barbara

I know what you mean. Every time one of us sends off a passport to be renewed, I'm sure I'll get some fantastic last-minute travel offer and we won't be able to take it. Hasn't happened yet, but I can always find something to worry about...

Sent my passport off last week for renewal because of 6 month requirement. I feel like a woman without a country at the moment.Barbara

I know the feeling!

Mine expires in January & we cruise in September. So, I sent my renewal Priority Mail to the Passport Agency on June 25. It was received the next day...... and according to the DOS website, I should have it Monday, July 23. Four weeks - that's pretty good. At least I think so. :D

And now, you don't have to PAY for passport pix! A white wall (or sheet), a digital camera & a printer is all you need. Now, there ARE very strict rules outlined on the DOS website, but at least that's $10 saved. :)

Actually, we're cruising to Alaska, r/t out of Seattle, so technically I don't need a passport. But that book is made to travel. Yes, I could take the one about to expire. Or I could take my flimsy, falling-apart-at-the-seams birth certificate. But I need to renew the passport anyway. So why NOT now? Besides, I've always HATED my passport photo - it's about 40# heavier. Ugh. :(

We were in Heathrow. Our boarding of a BA flight back to the US was delayed because the woman in front of us had a passport that was three months from expiration. They finally had to call a supervisor to work out the problem. (I know that she didn't get on our flight.) A neighbor had to pay various expedite fees to get a passport renewed because his wife's grandmother in Canada had passed away. Get it renewed now. Peace of mind is priceless.

You are getting good advice to renew, and good reasons for it. But, the answer to your question is no, you will not be refused boarding if your passport has less than 6 months left on it. You're on a closed loop cruise.

It's your decision whether or not to take the gamble.

And let me add that if you are a US Citizen even if you have to fly home from a Caribbean port you don't have to worry about the 6 month stuff. You only need a valid Passport to enter the USA and it's valid until it expires.

Actually, we're cruising to Alaska, r/t out of Seattle, so technically I don't need a passport. But that book is made to travel. Yes, I could take the one about to expire. Or I could take my flimsy, falling-apart-at-the-seams birth certificate. But I need to renew the passport anyway. So why NOT now? Besides, I've always HATED my passport photo - it's about 40# heavier. Ugh. :(

Because that r/t out of Seattle has a port stop in Canada, I thought that you DO need a passport, even if you don't plan on getting off the ship in BC. If my memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always), when we did that r/t Seattle to/from Alaska we needed a passport because the ship would be docking in Victoria BC.

Because that r/t out of Seattle has a port stop in Canada, I thought that you DO need a passport, even if you don't plan on getting off the ship in BC. If my memory serves me correctly (which it doesn't always), when we did that r/t Seattle to/from Alaska we needed a passport because the ship would be docking in Victoria BC.
This trip falls under the closed loop exception for US citizens therefor a Passport is not necessary.

We are headed to Bermuda in August and my passport expires in September and our son's in January. I looked up the rules for getting into the US and the 6 month rule doesn't apply but then when I looked into Bermuda it was so conflicting. Some government sites said the 6 month rule doesn't apply to Canadians, some said it did apply and yet others said it is 90 days.

So I am just going to pay for both of ours to be expedited. I hate paying extra but it is my own fault for letting it slide for so many months (the passport office here is a PITA to get to and park at).

Definetely get it renewed. Most countries have a hard a fast six months rule. If you are not traveling until November why risk it as you have plenty of time to get a new one.

Most countries do not have a six month rule.

USA does not, Europe contries do not, most contries do nopt.

People are very mis informed.

This trip falls under the closed loop exception for US citizens therefor a Passport is not necessary.

And here is the offical word http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/inspections_carriers_facilities/closed_loop_faq.xml

Most countries do not have a six month rule.

USA does not, Europe contries do not, most contries do nopt.

People are very mis informed.

Actually, most EU countries (the so-called "Schengen countries") require 3 months validity but many others (including Bermuda) do have the "6 month" rule. There's a very informative page about this at the USA Today travel site.

TA advised that all I need is government-issued photo ID (driver's license) & proof of citizenship (birth certificate). I also checked US state department website for entry to Canada & confirmed.

Last week when I checked status of my passport renewal, it was due to arrive Monday (today). It actually came Saturday via Priority Mail (which I did NOT request). My punched-out old passport also arrived in a separate envelope. Now for the $.65 postage & cost of the envelope, multiplied by how many renewals?, the folks at the passport office could have saved a few $$$ if they had just tucked the old one in the same Priority Mail envelope. Every little bit of waste adds up.

And I even liked the photo John took for my renewal. Until the government got hold of it. Now I look diseased with all these wavy blue lines across my face. :(

Actually, most EU countries (the so-called "Schengen countries") require 3 months validity but many others (including Bermuda) do have the "6 month" rule. There's a very informative page about this at the USA Today travel site.

That I knew, but the post I was responding to said most countries require 6 months and that is false info. As you point out most EU countries is three months not six.

And I even liked the photo John took for my renewal. Until the government got hold of it. Now I look diseased with all these wavy blue lines across my face. :(

Isn't that the truth? Just got my new passport back and a fairly decent picure has been turned into an orange and blue mess. Don't know what they did but sure hope the US Immigration people will see some resemblance.

Last week when I checked status of my passport renewal, it was due to arrive Monday (today). It actually came Saturday via Priority Mail (which I did NOT request). My punched-out old passport also arrived in a separate envelope. Now for the $.65 postage & cost of the envelope, multiplied by how many renewals?, the folks at the passport office could have saved a few $$$ if they had just tucked the old one in the same Priority Mail envelope. Every little bit of waste adds up.

Maybe they mail the old and the new in separate envelopes so you would have the old to reapply with if the new one got lost in the mail. :confused:

Maybe they mail the old and the new in separate envelopes so you would have the old to reapply with if the new one got lost in the mail. :confused:

Good point. Perhaps, also, the passports had to go by priority mail, which is required over so many ounces. But, must of all, why is anyone complaining about the Government sending out a passport via a more expeditious mailing?

Good point. Perhaps, also, the passports had to go by priority mail, which is required over so many ounces. But, must of all, why is anyone complaining about the Government sending out a passport via a more expeditious mailing?

Tampa - Sorry but your theory is incorrect. The old passport was returned regular first-class mail. A passport is not so heavy that is requires Priority Mail. :) Interesting that one sent Priority & one sent first-class but both received the same day. :rolleyes:

Last week when I checked status of my passport renewal, it was due to arrive Monday (today). It actually came Saturday via Priority Mail (which I did NOT request). My punched-out old passport also arrived in a separate envelope. Now for the $.65 postage & cost of the envelope, multiplied by how many renewals?, the folks at the passport office could have saved a few $$$ if they had just tucked the old one in the SAME Priority Mail envelope. Every little bit of waste adds up.

Also, I've re-quoted my post about my new passport being returned via Priority Mail, which while unexpected, was a nice bonus.

My concern, not really a complaint, is about my old passport being returned to me in a separate envelope. That costs extra money - the postage on that envelope was $.65 plus there is the cost of the 6x9 envelope. Multiply that by how many thousands of passport renewals annually??? I was merely pointing out that every little bit of wasteful spending adds up. :(

Archived