Second City - Love 'em or Hate 'em?

dznymom

How do you feel about Second CIty?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about Second CIty?

• I love them!
    • They're okay.
    • I can't stand them.

Love Second City (the original here in Chicago), loved it the first time I saw it on NCL, but seeing the same material on two other ships was disappointing. The beauty of SC is it's spontaneous originality....not a script or the same questions being tossed out to the audience.

I've been more amused painting my finger nails. They're the only thing I'd change about NCL's entertainment lineup. I've never ran into a SC group that I thought was good. One was okay. Not good, but okay. There was one woman, ONE, that was ever even truly amusing. The rest were "meh" at best. Which is why I never write about them in reviews. As the saying goes if you have nothing good to say...

I've done better improv and it's not my forte.

SNL has great comics, Second City doesn't come close but they seem to think that they do. They need to be told otherwise.

Love Second City (the original here in Chicago), loved it the first time I saw it on NCL, but seeing the same material on two other ships was disappointing. The beauty of SC is it's spontaneous originality....not a script or the same questions being tossed out to the audience.

I was wondering how it would be comparing these 'travelling troupes' to the big players downtown. I did see a show out at the mall area Suburban theater and you could tell they were 'earning' their way up to the downtown theater. I guess the travelling troupes are below the suburban counterparts.

I'm really surprised at these results so far. I thought we were the only ones that felt they weren't our thing.

Yeah, after seeing other threads, I was wondering if I was the only one who thought it was totally lame. Guess not!

SNL has great comics, Second City doesn't come close but they seem to think that they do. They need to be told otherwise.

I think you hit the nail on the head for me.

I was looking forward to Second City my last cruise, and my wife went with me grudgingly (she's a more dry humor/British comedy fan). I mistakenly thought that as many SNL Alum came from Second City, I'd love it. I didn't. I hardly laughed at all, and it doesn't take much for me to bust a gut.

The worst part? It was between Second City and the Comedy Hypnotist (Adults only show). My wife let me pick, because we generally do whatever she wants in port, and whatever I want on the ship. Reports back were that I should have chosen the Comedy Hypnotist (that my wife wanted to see). D'OH!

Love them. A primary reason we cruise with NCL. Not to everyones liking for sure. It is one choice out of many. I generally dont like or go to the music or dance shows. I do feel NCL has good variety which is more important to me than one group or one show.

Thanks for all the comments! I have often wondered why they have kept them for so long, but it seems that there are quite a few people that like them. Personally, I (and my group) was very disappointed in the last couple of shows I saw (I felt like I was watching old sitcom reruns) and we actually walked out. I won't bother with them again.

I would much prefer more standup!

On the Sky and Star I did not enjoy them at all. Kind of looked around at everyone laughing wondering how they found it funny. In May on the Dawn though, we found them quite funny. I guess it depends on which troup you see?

Personally I don't think they're that great, not very funny. They really aren't very good at improv, imo. They always seem to fall flat on the true improv and end up falling back on the the lines they've obviously used before from the more predictable statements that are made.

I voted 'I can't stand them'. Your post perfectly explains my reason for disliking their shows. I thought I was the only one who felt like the group was phoning in their performances.

I totally don' t get it. I love them!! it is a big reason i cruise NCL. I hate all those stupid music and dance shows!! LOL!! The talent it takes to do improv is so great. Yes i have seen less than steller shows but i am aware that it is on your feet at the moment and can't always be great. Anyway it is just a risk taking over the top thing that only NCL does while yes, others book more sure thing shows and (yes i have seen some bad shows but that is just part of it) !!

One or two skits put a smile on my face but I don't recall laughing. I walked out probably 3/4 of way through the show--enough. I prefer a stand-up comedian or hypnotist. :D

I voted 'they're okay' because I might try another one of their shows but I'll definitely choose a seat at the back of the venue! ;)

Archived