Is a suite worth the money?

bonbon663

OMG, it sounds and looks DREAMY! :D If ONLY!

Watch for specials/deals on the cruise rates. Sometimes you can really snag a great deal. The two times we booked mini-suites (did adjourning ones with other family members) we booked them at $200 more per cabin than the balcony cabins we had originally planned to book.

Our HAL "suite" - not a mini we booked at a great price as we booked way in advance. The perks and having a wrap-around AFT cabin totally made it a worthwhile expense for our first cruise to Glacier Bay (3rd to Alaska).

We have had inside, ocean view, balcony (most often) and our two future cruises one is a suite and one a mini-suite. Our full suite on HAL when we booked was actually less than a mini-suite on Princess plus with a full suite we get similar or better benefits than on Princess. So watch for deals, check different cruise lines, and it is possible to get a mini or full suite at times for a great price.

This is such a subjective question, but here are my 2 cents:

I cruise to cruise, not spend time in a hotel room. Honestly, our house is nicer than the suites; if I wanted to spend time in a nice room, I'd stay home. I cruise for the ship and the ports, and staying in a less expensive cabin gives us money for longer cruises to favorite places.

If we both still worked a bazillion hours a week and had limited time and unlimited funds, I'd book a suite (but not a minisuite...I don't like to shower in a bathtub). But we have unlimited time and limited funds, and that impacts our cabin choice.

Depends on finances, if money is no problem go for it.

We have always booked a mini suite since always and that suits us. We are generally able to get it down close to a balcony in price and sometimes below and a lot of times we still mark it "no upgrade".

We have been getting all the perks for sometime now so we are happy.:cool:

I've been away from the boards for a long time, but, happily I am planning another cruise. I want to go big, and have a memorable time. I'm planning on the Carribean, and have decided on Princess. I've heard marvelous things about it. I've tried Celebrity, that was great too. Now, my question is.....are the suites worth the BIG extra money? I really want to be treated like royalty, and was wondering if a suite will really fit the bill. Thanks in advance everyone. I love these boards! I am excited to plan a cruise again. Yippee!!! :)

You have been given a lot of good advice. The question really is what do you want from a cruise. In my experience it is true that all passengers, no matter their cabin, are treated very well. I would think a suite is like flying First Class on a transatlantic flight. Both are great experiences, but I would not pay cash for them. I did a transatlantic flight using frequent flyer miles years ago. Amazing seat, lots of room, great beverages, and amazing food. Paying cash for it? I think not. Compared to a standard coach seat, first class can exceed 8 to 10 times the cost of coach. :eek:

I travel solo and find a balcony cabin suits me great. It has everything I want. I enjoy my cabin and spend lots of time there, but many things I like to do on a cruise are outside of my cabin.

I say choose a cabin you love based on what you like to do on a cruise. For splurges, take advantage of those extras for a cost: specialty restaurants, shore excursions (I love the special ones), special wines at dinner if you indulge, and maybe a few nice photos from ship photographers.

The new Royal Princess starts sailing the Caribbean on September 30. 2013 or there abouts. It looks like a great ship. Can you wait that long? :D

I've been away from the boards for a long time, but, happily I am planning another cruise. I want to go big, and have a memorable time. I'm planning on the Carribean, and have decided on Princess. I've heard marvelous things about it. I've tried Celebrity, that was great too. Now, my question is.....are the suites worth the BIG extra money? I really want to be treated like royalty, and was wondering if a suite will really fit the bill. Thanks in advance everyone. I love these boards! I am excited to plan a cruise again. Yippee!!! :)

You know what they say, GO BIG OR GO HOME!! Like you I just had to try a suite and got a great deal on a window suite on the CB 14 day TA. It worked out to $157/day and I've invited my best friend to be my guest. We booked before they did away with the free internet and that was a big determining factor in my booking. But, like the OP's have said, you are bound to have a great time regardless of where you lay your head.

Lots of good answers! My thinking is this:

1) Are you going on a cruise that has a lot of sea days?

2) Do you like "private time" away from the masses?

3) Do the suite incentives interest you?

We found the extra space, laundry, Sabatini's breakfast, free internet (no more), and special dining to be wonderful. It was worth it on this cruise to pay the extra. (Caribbean 14-day) If we were going to the Med or another port-intensive cruise, then it might not be.

The other option is to go all inclusive. If you like your drinks or maybe want included excursions or specialty enrichment lectures, then there are some other options that might make more sense. Either way - have a wonderful cruise!

Lots of good answers! My thinking is this:

1) Are you going on a cruise that has a lot of sea days?

2) Do you like "private time" away from the masses?

3) Do the suite incentives interest you?

We found the extra space, laundry, Sabatini's breakfast, free internet (no more), and special dining to be wonderful. It was worth it on this cruise to pay the extra. (Caribbean 14-day) If we were going to the Med or another port-intensive cruise, then it might not be.

The other option is to go all inclusive. If you like your drinks or maybe want included excursions or specialty enrichment lectures, then there are some other options that might make more sense. Either way - have a wonderful cruise!

The number of sea days is certianly a factor for me.:D

I so enjoyed the extra space that I booked the Penthouse Suite on a Celebrity cruise for 2014. I hated to stray from Princess but the lure of that huge room on the Constellation was too much to resist. :D

You are going to love the Penthouse Suite!

We are the poor people who book the cabins on deck 7 aft, and watch with envy the rich people down below:)

Your suite takes up half the width of the ship. We befriended people in that suite on one cruise, and couldn't believe how amazing it was. Hope you play piano, as you have a grand piano in your suite.

Have a great time!!

Next week :D we sail to Alaska in our first suite. It is a Window Suite and does not have a balcony, but I thought for Alaska I wouldn't care. It has 2 large windows that I will enjoy - and unless it is 75 degress - I would not be on the balcony anyway.

I was very lucky, and caught the WS for the same price as a balcony - and booked it. I also booked about 15 months out.

Next week :D we sail to Alaska in our first suite. It is a Window Suite and does not have a balcony, but I thought for Alaska I wouldn't care. It has 2 large windows that I will enjoy - and unless it is 75 degress - I would not be on the balcony anyway.

I was very lucky, and caught the WS for the same price as a balcony - and booked it. I also booked about 15 months out.

I can't wait to hear all about it when you get back!:)

I've done suites twice (Emerald/Ruby). I spent major $$$ as I booked through the cruise line. The extra room was great and I made good use of the free Internet. Overall, I think our two Princess suite cruises (PH) were over priced for what was offered. In March we are sailing in a Vista suite. Much cheaper as it's a Vista vs a PH and I used a T/A who got me a great price. Looking forward to our first "wake view" cabin cruise.....:):):)

Bob

Not a whole lot to add, but I will echo some earlier thoughts for emphasis:

• Don't book a suite for better treatment on Princess. The "special" treatment is minimal and inconsequential, thank heavens. Go to Cunard if you want class warfare. A passenger in an inside cabin who books the Sanctuary, spa treatments and specialty restaurants can feel more pampered than a passenger in a suite who buries his/her head in their computer trying to use up "free" Internet minutes.

• Extra cabin space is irrelevant if you are out snorkeling, swimming with dolphins and rays, or getting a massage beachside at a land resort. You really have to weigh what you will be doing from 9:00-5:00. When the lights are out and your eyes are shut, your suite offers you nothing more than a standard room. During the day, you will see and feel a difference. But if you are happy eating your pastry at a cafe table at the International Cafe, and reading your Kindle by the pool, are you going to get four-figures worth of enjoyment out of your suite? I'm not suggesting an answer one way or the other. Only you can honestly weigh the difference.

If I wanted a pampered "in-room" vacation, I would stay at a St. Regis, Four Seasons or Ritz Carlton. Or in the Caribbean, I'd go to Little Dix Bay for some R-n-R. But I cruise for other reasons, few of which are attended to solely by staying in a suite.

Great catch and enjoy your cruise.:D

OP == Convert your wants and desires into numbers. Compare the price of an inside with a suite, then see how many things you can do with the extra money if you book the inside cabin.

Your answer will be in the numbers and you can see if the price of the suite is worth it to you.

i've been away from the boards for a long time, but, happily i am planning another cruise. I want to go big, and have a memorable time. I'm planning on the carribean, and have decided on princess. I've heard marvelous things about it. I've tried celebrity, that was great too. Now, my question is.....are the suites worth the big extra money? I really want to be treated like royalty, and was wondering if a suite will really fit the bill. Thanks in advance everyone. I love these boards! I am excited to plan a cruise again. Yippee!!! :)

yes!

Personally, we have except for one time ( had balcony on Hawaii cruise and never really used it) always had an inside room. If you are the type that like to be out and moving around, why do you need a suite. Your space is just to sleep in, change in, etc. Spend your money on extras like, excursions, shopping, etc.

Just my opinion

hey if you are wanting to go all out then yes go for the suite.

Personally I would book a nice balcony and use the difference in money to do some of the following with the money I saved:

fly first class to port

stay at amazing hotel pre cruise

do spa treatments

do all excursions you really want to do

dine in both specialty restaurants

do ultimate balcony dinning

enjoy great bottle of wine every night

order flowers to your room

of course it is up to you, this is just my two cents.

vickie

Hmmm...good point.

I wish I had all the money that you all have!!

We've done everything from owners suite to inside and we've settled on balcony altho this time, mini suite since it's our anniversary.

Believe me, it will be a one time extravagance. Although, so many people here have pointed out that the vast majority of activities and fun is outside the cabin.

Please, do share... I have been in coach of some of the longest flights. I would love to find a way to get bumped up!:)

Well, we fly Space Available on military planes seated in webbed seats for hours. But the flights and the ear plugs are free!

People are different. We have good friends who can't even imagine suffering through Business Class to Europe. We see Space A as some grand adventure. But we've run the numbers: generally speaking, suites are twice as much as balcony cabins which are twice as much as inside cabins. I can't imagine what service suite passengers could get that would be that much better than inside passengers. And dinner at Sabatinis just doesn't make up for the higher price.

I think, as others have stated, that you have to want the extra space. Otherwise, you might possibly be disappointed when you compare your experience to others'.

Well, we fly Space Available on military planes seated in webbed seats for hours. But the flights and the ear plugs are free!

People are different. We have good friends who can't even imagine suffering through Business Class to Europe. We see Space A as some grand adventure. But we've run the numbers: generally speaking, suites are twice as much as balcony cabins which are twice as much as inside cabins. I can't imagine what service suite passengers could get that would be that much better than inside passengers. And dinner at Sabatinis just doesn't make up for the higher price.

I think, as others have stated, that you have to want the extra space. Otherwise, you might possibly be disappointed when you compare your experience to others'.

It is all horses for courses, personal choice as to what you want and how much you are willing to pay for it.:D

We were in window suite f311 this past June and loved it! We have never had a balcony before so there was nothing to miss but everything to gain.. We loved the larger room and bathroom. It was like being in a nice hotel room. the location was great too! We were right by the Passenger Services desk and just a flight of stairs up to the Promenade deck and a flight of stairs down to the International Cafe. We were also a short walk from the Princess Theater. All we did was take the elevator up to the Lido deck for the Horizon court and to be outside. We found it not bad at all to be outside on deck for glacier bay. We had no trouble getting a spot by the rails as it was pretty much just one person deep. Beautiful views and if I wanted to see the other side I just turned myself around!

We loved it so much we booked another one for Sept 2013. (Actually we booked very quickly in order to be included to get free internet).

Enjoy your cruise.

hey if you are wanting to go all out then yes go for the suite.

Personally I would book a nice balcony and use the difference in money to do some of the following with the money I saved:

fly first class to port

stay at amazing hotel pre cruise

do spa treatments

do all excursions you really want to do

dine in both specialty restaurants

do ultimate balcony dinning

enjoy great bottle of wine every night

order flowers to your room

of course it is up to you, this is just my two cents.

vickie

Hmmm...good point.

A little quick math. Using Princess' posted prices, (and not TA prices), one could book a Balcony on an Eastern Caribbean cruise in February for $949 per person. One could then add the following pampering:

2 x Chef's Table Dinner=$190

2 x Sabitini's Dinner=$40

2 x Crown Grill Dinner=$50

190 Internet Minutes=$83

2 x Full Week In Sanctuary=$210

$500 worth of pre-paid OBC gifted to your cabin to be used for spa treatments, mini bar purchases and laundry.

Total cost=$2,971.

The price for a suite on the same cruise is $2,249 per person. If a couple adds absolutely nothing else to their cruise, the cost would be $4,498.

Personally, I'd take the Balcony with all the pampering for less than $3K. What you cannot buy your way into is:

- more cabin space

- breakfast in Sabitini's

- early, preferred boarding

The extra space alone is worth it for many people. And with all the angst on this board regarding early boarding, it is obviously a huge intangible for many people and well worth the cost of a suite. But that is really what it boils down to. Space and early boarding. Worth it to many. Not worth it to many others.

If extra space is important then I would say it is worth it. The extra perks are nice but not worth paying the extra money if you don't want the space.

Archived