Price drop problem

DaveOKC

I noticed that my Dec cruise had a price drop of $100 pp. I was able to do a test booking using the regular "find a cruise" option and got it to assign me a cabin (not a guarantee).

So, I called my TA and she checked with HAL. They told her it was a one week special and that it was only for a guarantee.

While I can cancel and rebook, I would lose $100 in OBC from a promotion, plus I might lose my assigned cabin.

Any thoughts/examples/similiar situations?

DaveOKC

I noticed that my Dec cruise had a price drop of $100 pp. I was able to do a test booking using the regular "find a cruise" option and got it to assign me a cabin (not a guarantee).

So, I called my TA and she checked with HAL. They told her it was a one week special and that it was only for a guarantee.

While I can cancel and rebook, I would lose $100 in OBC from a promotion, plus I might lose my assigned cabin.

Any thoughts/examples/similiar situations?

DaveOKC

You're not really coming out ahead here Dave if you do it. $100 in OBC or off the price - 6 of one - 1/2 dozen of the other. if you have carefully selected you room (which I am sure you have) then to me, not worth going to a guarantee;) I'd leave well enough alone unless the price went down to make it worthwhile.

JMO though:D

The saving is $200 vs the $100 in lost OBC, so I would be ahead. But, it is not enough to warrant the potential loss of my cabin selection IMO.

Since I got this new price from just doing a pretend booking, I did not see any restrictions. NOr where there any offer codes involved. I will double check just to be sure.

DaveOKC

The saving is $200 vs the $100 in lost OBC, so I would be ahead. But, it is not enough to warrant the potential loss of my cabin selection IMO.

Since I got this new price from just doing a pretend booking, I did not see any restrictions. NOr where there any offer codes involved. I will double check just to be sure.

DaveOKC

sorry Dave - of course $100 pp:o:p I don't like losing a cabin I have chosen either:D

DaveOKC

I agree, for 100 dollars, no but maybe down the road there will be a larger drop. Good Luck:)

Yes, but the point is that if the website didn't state guarantee only, and he was able to select a cabin, then the HAL rep is wrong. It's simply not right to advertise one thing and then say it doesn't apply.

Now it gets even crazier. I can rebook, keep my OBC the same, but I would have to given them an increased deposit of $700 more (I was on the onboard booking $200 deal). Also, there is no guarantee I would get my cabin back.

This makes no sense to me as I the reduced deposit promo was the same as the OBC one - so why can I get one and not the other?

I told them NO - I was not going to give up the cabin, even for the $200. Mostly since I am afraid they would also screw up my OBCs. I could select another cabin by the way.

This experience has convinced me to book directly with HAL in the future, as my TA is clueless IMO (she is with a VERY large brick and mortar Travel Agency).

DaveOKC

Yes, but the point is that if the website didn't state guarantee only, and he was able to select a cabin, then the HAL rep is wrong. It's simply not right to advertise one thing and then say it doesn't apply.

I agree...and is it possible the TA does not WANT to honor the price drop? Can you ask for a 3 way call with Hal?

Now it gets even crazier. I can rebook, keep my OBC the same, but I would have to given them an increased deposit of $700 more (I was on the onboard booking $200 deal). Also, there is no guarantee I would get my cabin back.

This makes no sense to me as I the reduced deposit promo was the same as the OBC one - so why can I get one and not the other?

I told them NO - I was not going to give up the cabin, even for the $200. Mostly since I am afraid they would also screw up my OBCs. I could select another cabin by the way.

This experience has convinced me to book directly with HAL in the future, as my TA is clueless IMO (she is with a VERY large brick and mortar Travel Agency).

DaveOKC

Dave,

Our cruise for November 25th 2012 also went down this past weekend (thanks to Lorekauf on our Roll Call for letting us know) anyway, we paid off our November cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam weeks ago, with Specific Stateroom chosen.

After reading Lorekauf's post about lower prices I looked and sure enough our cruise stateroom category SC was now $200.00 per person cheaper.

I immediately sent off an email to our HAL PCC yesterday asking for OBC as I did not think she would be able to rebook us without losing our stateroom..... WRONG:) She was

Here is a bit of the email conversation:

(ME) Good Morning my friend!!

Just noticed that our 25 November 2012 7-Day Western Caribbean 25 November 2012 on board ms Nieuw Amsterdam has gone down another $200.00 per person for an SC category.

I know that we have paid in full already and realize we cannot cancel and rebook, nor do I wish to take the chance of losing our stateroom, so wanted to see what the chances are of getting On Board Credit for the Difference....

Our final price was (before Taxes and Fees):

Cruise/Tour Fare: $1,899.00

Today (Sunday 12 August 2012) it is listed as:

Cruise/Tour Fare: $1,699

Also, Roger wanted me to ask you when you need our Carnival Stock paperwork faxed to you for not only this cruise but also for our 2 December 2012 Westerdam cruise?

Joanie

(HER) It is paid in full, but still outside of penalty. So I can rebook it for a refund back to your card and keep the same room. Want me to do that? Let me know ASAP

(ME) Yes Please!!

As long as we get our same room. I do not want to lose it!!

Joanie

(HER)

Done, new booking number is ##### (Removed by Joanie)

This is a none refundable fare as of 9/11/12, unless you but Cancellation Protection. I would get it by the end of August if you want it J

Same room confirmed !

So much easier than what I see you going through right now....

Joanie

DaveOKC

to book with HAL would not make difference.TA use HAL rules:cool:

Listening to the sound advice here, and since I have 30 days until final payment. I think I will just wait and see when happens to the price after the "sale" is over. I bet the price stays at the lower level and then I can reapply.

DaveOKC

DaveOKC

Dave, you definitely need a new TA IMO - I got a lot more than a $100 OBC and more importantly I have a very knowledgeable TA who is helpful and knows how to do this stuff.

My booking only went down $50 pp - I nearly didn't even contact her - but then I said what the heck - she was happy to do it for us - no problem.

Losing a booking number has a big impact on me as I have prepaid items and being Canadian I will get nailed on the difference in the buy and sell rates for the US $$$. I am very grateful I have finally found a great TA:D They are out there.

If your cruise is in early December, there is a good chance that it will go down again. We are in FLL in early Dec. and are now looking at a few options, including Eurodam. Prices to have softened a little over the past two weeks.

It can be a good time to cruise-between Thanksgiving and Xmas. You might want to get a handle on these price decreases in case there is another drop that you can take advantage of.

If your cruise is in early December, there is a good chance that it will go down again. We are in FLL in early Dec. and are now looking at a few options, including Eurodam. Prices to have softened a little over the past two weeks.

It can be a good time to cruise-between Thanksgiving and Xmas. You might want to get a handle on these price decreases in case there is another drop that you can take advantage of.

Thanks for the thought. I tend to agree with you on the future price drop, so I will just wait a bit and try again.

DaveOKC

Dave, I have to say it sound like you are getting a bit of a run around and there should be no problem with HAL adjusting the price and you not losing you ZPM promotion or the reduced deposit. I have noticed that HAL has quite a few brand new reps. I think the TA's get the new reps becaus the reps who talk to clients without TA's may need a bit more informed gruidence or at least I hope. At any rate, I think your TA needs to be a bit more persistant.

YES they can change the price to the current sale with you you losing everything and if there are cabins in a particular category then NO you do not have to have a Guarantee.

Dave - I don't know if you prefer fixed dining or open seating, but if you are particular about a fixed seating, beware of lower fares that require new bookings and therefore new booking numbers.

If the fixed dining is no longer available at the time of the reduction, there is a chance it might not transfer to your "new" reservation.

You need to check this carefully if fixed dining is an issue for you.

Dave - I don't know if you prefer fixed dining or open seating, but if you are particular about a fixed seating, beware of lower fares that require new bookings and therefore new booking numbers.

If the fixed dining is no longer available at the time of the reduction, there is a chance it might not transfer to your "new" reservation.

You need to check this carefully if fixed dining is an issue for you.

Great point - I had not considered that. On this cruise it should not be a problem, since I am in a deluxe suite and they normally get what they want, even at the last minute bookings, as far as dining times.

Dave

Archived