Let's Hear the Truth!

jaybird from SC

Depending on type of SR, some S-Class are larger than their M- Class counterpart. For example, the S-Class verandas are 194sq ft and the M-Class is 175sq ft or thereabouts.

The S- Class have smaller closets in the standard SR, the bed stands don't have drawers and are smaller. They do have over-the-bed storage which is large but some people complain they are hard to get to.

Personally we've made 2-week cruises and extended B2B cruises and found the storage to be quite fine.

The closets met our needs as did the drawers. I would have liked drawers in the bed stands instead of open bins but found the rest OK.

And I don't think I fibbed too many times.

Den

I have been on Solstice 4 times and it is my favorite class. Rooms are plenty big enough for two full-sized adults. There is storage all over the cabin and lots even in the bathrooms. The cabinets over the beds, which some people don't seem to be aware of, are easy to reach if you are reasonably tall. I find the other drawers and shelves and the closets are big enough. The Solstice balcony cabins have a sofa as well as the bed, desk and tv. (dont' put anything that can't take heat on the shelf over the refrigerator -like chocolate) Also the closet has an adjustable fold down shelf. I've never felt a shortage of space for anything. If you are used to Princess cabins, the balcony cabins on Solstice class are equivalent to Princess mini-suites.

We have 8 weeks on the "M" class ships and 1 10 night Med. on Equinox. We always book balconies so I will give you my opinion for whatever it may be worth. In terms of cabin and balcony size I would call it a push. The "S" class ships have bigger and nicer flatscreen TVs but I have not been on an "M" class since they refurbished them all and I believe they now have flatscreens (but slightly smaller) as well. A lot of people don't like the fact that part of the storage space on the "S" class is on shelving on the wall directly above the bed. I did not view that as a major issue and if you include them than close to a push again with probably just a tad more in the "M" class. The BIG difference is in the bathroom. The "S" class bathrooms are bigger, brighter and have a very large glass enclosed shower which my wife absolutely loved. So if you are looking for lots of quality bathroom time then "S" class is definitely the way "to go" (sorry, I just couldn't resist). But overall, I don't think the difference is so great that I would let it be a major factor in booking a future cruise. Personally, I consider the difference in passenger load to be far more important than cabin size\layout. You will notice that there are an extra 900 to 1,000 people on board, especially on sea days or when you try to go to a movie. Beautiful ships, but bigger does not always mean better. Just my two cents.....

We had no problem storing clothing for a two week transatlantic crossing on Equinox. I personally liked the shelves above the bed - you can see everything very well. I also really liked that the closet was not in the "hallway" just inside the door, so my other half could open and close bathroom door and stateroom door without impeding my ability to access the closets. Yes, there are fewer drawers on the S-Class ships...

The bathrooms are a MAJOR improvement. So much storage! And the shower is wonderful.

I also felt the size of the balcony was larger, easily allowing someone to walk in front of another person who was seated in a chair.

As for me, I'd sail on either class ship with no complaints!

Joe

Agree that the key to storage is using the over-the-bed storage. For taller folks (I am over 6') these storage units are no problem...but for shorter folks they would probably have to stand on the bed :)

Hank

So many negative reports regarding cabin storage space and the size of balcony cabins on the Eclipse. How do these cabins compare in size and space to those on the Constellation, Summit and Millinium? Thanks for respondindg...

Having previously sailed with Royal Caribbean, I missed the storage space and drawers around the dressing table. It took me a while to figure out that this is a cheeky piece of design which allows Celebrity to make the cabins smaller and still allow guests to walk around the end of the bed. By alternating the positions of bed and sofa, the "bump" where all the storage space would be is actually where the next cabin's bed head is. I reckon this makes the cabins around a foot narrower. Clever!

Having previously sailed with Royal Caribbean, I missed the storage space and drawers around the dressing table. It took me a while to figure out that this is a cheeky piece of design which allows Celebrity to make the cabins smaller and still allow guests to walk around the end of the bed. By alternating the positions of bed and sofa, the "bump" where all the storage space would be is actually where the next cabin's bed head is. I reckon this makes the cabins around a foot narrower. Clever!

You are correct, the S class regular balcony cabins are narrower than their M class equivalent, but they are longer, as evidenced by the larger bathroom and full sized sofas. Personally, I find the storage on both classes about equivalent, though very differently configured.

Agree with the comment about the larger S-Class BRs, and love the shower enclosure instead of the curtain, and more storage room in the BR.

I also like the S-Class closets facing into the SR insead of into the entryway. With one at the closet, it gets tricky navigating by.

Love both Classes, but have cruised S-Class recently, and its our favorite. Will see how the extra deck and more passengers on the Reflection impacts the overall enjoyment of the ship.

Den

So many negative reports regarding cabin storage space and the size of balcony cabins on the Eclipse. How do these cabins compare in size and space to those on the Constellation, Summit and Millinium? Thanks for respondindg...

We did 12 nights in a concierge class cabin on the Solstice and did not find the storage space lacking. My husband had a tux for formal night and appropriate clothing for dining, plus day wear. I had a pile of cocktail dresses and casual clothing and several shoes. Somehow it all fit into the allotted drawers and closets. We definitely were NOT living out of our suitcases. ;)

At the link below, you can find some fairly detailed pictures of the storage on S-class ships.

These photos are of AQ 1552 on the Solstice. Later S-class ships are similar, except that they moved the safe from the bottom shelf of the closet to the cupboard over the mini-fridge.

In one of the photos of the closet, you can just barely see (behind the large bathrobes) a rack that folds down so that you can have two tiers of hanging space for shorter items.

There is lots of space under the bed to store your luggage, and there is a large wire basket there as well that contain your life jackets. When I travel with my daughter (we're 5'2" and 5'3") we move the life jackets from the basket and place them in the overbed storage, then use the baskets for storage. They slide in and out from under the bed very easily. When I travel with my DH, he uses the overhead storage and I get most of the drawers :p.

The bathrooms have wonderful storage.

We have sailed up to 13 days on the S-class ships, and have never had a problem finding enough room for everything. Having said that, the 3-door closet and the 2-drawer nightstands on M-class ships are always nice.

http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/7051726_vv4jcB#!i=451751605&k=oZ5t3

So sorry I forgot to turn the lights on before I took the photos. It was actually brighter in the cabin than it appears in the photos, and I just didn't think to turn the lights on. :)

I do find the Sclass cabins have less storage than Mclass - we always bring an "over the door" hanger rack (avail from dollar stores) for the bathroom door plus I pack with "packing bags" which work really well in the over the bed shelf. X really missed the boat (so to speak) by not having drawers in the bed side tables.:confused:. But we deal with it...much rather be a little short on storage than not cruising at all.:)

Fact: There is less storage space on the S class ships.

Second Fact: You'll love your cruise on the S class ships.

I remember standing in our stateroom griping grumpily about the storage and a couple of other things I like more about the M class staterooms and suddenly I realized I was in the middle of the most stunning stateroom I've ever been in and had to laugh at myself. Yes some of the storage features of the M class are not there but there are lots of pluses for the S class staterooms too! Wonderful bathroom with lots of storage. Beautiful decor. Storage over, and under, the bed - bed is higher so it is much easier to get your suitcases in and out so use them for storage of infrequently needed items.

We've taken 7, 10, and 14 night cruises on the S class and found room to store all of our stuff so everything had a place and the room was not cluttered.

I also will say once again: I always find things I like better, and things I like worse, on every cruise when comparing it to the cruise or two before it.

So enjoy your Eclipse cruise. We're booked for 2 weeks on the Eclipse next March and we can't wait!

We have not travelled on M class (yet), but have seven S class cruises which include three B2Bs with 27 and 28 day sailings. We have never found any problem with storage although we make full use of the over-the-bed cabinets. I put the most used items near the edge of the bed so I can reach them easily. I am 5'3" and a senior citizen and had no difficulty with this. The bathroom storage is very generous and we had no need for the recommended over-the-door storage we took. The night tables are not great, but I make sure to have the side without the phone! You wouldn't want to have any 'personal' items beside the bed since it is all on view! There is just room for my book and glasses on the top shelf. S class is our first choice when we are booking a cruise and we have to have a compelling reason to choose something different, like travelling with friends who prefer another line.

Fact: There is less storage space on the S class ships.

Second Fact: You'll love your cruise on the S class ships.

I remember standing in our stateroom griping grumpily about the storage and a couple of other things I like more about the M class staterooms and suddenly I realized I was in the middle of the most stunning stateroom I've ever been in and had to laugh at myself. Yes some of the storage features of the M class are not there but there are lots of pluses for the S class staterooms too! Wonderful bathroom with lots of storage. Beautiful decor. Storage over, and under, the bed - bed is higher so it is much easier to get your suitcases in and out so use them for storage of infrequently needed items.

We've taken 7, 10, and 14 night cruises on the S class and found room to store all of our stuff so everything had a place and the room was not cluttered.

I also will say once again: I always find things I like better, and things I like worse, on every cruise when comparing it to the cruise or two before it.

So enjoy your Eclipse cruise. We're booked for 2 weeks on the Eclipse next March and we can't wait!

Perfect post! As I stand there thinking that some previous experience/ship had a better 'whatever', I realise....I'm on cruise and having a grand time!

Den

We have a 1C balcony for our Eclipse 14 night cruise in Jan. Do we get the shampoo, creme rinse, shower gel and lotion in these cabins too? Makes for less packing if we do. Thanks!

Hi:) yes, you get them but I call it conditioner;)....creme rinse?

I remember that from when I was a kid....guess I am really aging

myself:eek:

They also give you cotton balls and swabs......

Elena thanks for the great photos of AQ cabin. We have sailed M class several times but not S class yet. Have our first cruises on S class next year and these photos will allow us to have a plan on where to put things.

We have a 1C balcony for our Eclipse 14 night cruise in Jan. Do we get the shampoo, creme rinse, shower gel and lotion in these cabins too? Makes for less packing if we do. Thanks!

As far as I remember, shower gel is only supplied in Concierge class and above. The first time we thought the cabin steward had just missed it, but he said we were not supposed to have any in a regular balcony cabin. Shampoo, conditioner and lotion were regularly replenished and were of a good standard.

Sheila

The bathroom storage is excellent.

The rest is difficult for us - two ladies who take pleasure in dressing nicely when cruising.

One lady uses the drawers and the other has a suitcase on the sofa for Tshirts etc. We also have our shoes and bags arranged on the back of the sofa!!

We are vertically challenged and the overhead storage is useless for us. We are too old to be bouncing about on the beds!!:D:D

We are not bothered - don't sit in our cabin watching TV:)

If you are short you will find it quite difficult to use the over bed storage as you cannot see if something has slipped to the back of it. No doubt there are loads of things left in them at the end of cruises. My dh is about 5ft 8ins and just about managed to use this space for storage.

As for the bedside tables, they are truly ridiculous. I got over this by packing very lightweight plastic containers, not solid, but more like a basket to fit on them. They are packed away in our loft now so cannot remember the size exactly but probably about 12" by 8". This way I could keep everything I needed on the top shelf without fear of it falling off.

I also bought very lightweight packing cubes with a see through window, without cardboard inserts, with zips around the top to keep tshirts and tops in. I rolled up the clothes and this meant I did not have to unpack them. I kept the cubes on the sofa where there is plenty of room. My dh was so impressed he has got some now for his tshirts and underwear. I have also bought some more as they are so good.

The wardrobe is quite large but very shallow. Our bed was by the window which meant that the settee was by the wardrobe. This made it quite difficult to get to things near the settee.

The bathroom has loads of storage, but of course you can only put cosmetic type things there as clothes would get damp.

We sailed AquaClass on the Eclipse and found the balcony was fine and storage adequate. We also sailed Veranda 2B on Equinox and same thing. The storage in the bathroom suited our needs and the closet and overhead bins (above the bed) were great as well.

You want the truth? You can't handle the truth!;)

The truth is...we make it work. For a 7 day cruise, it's more that enough space on S class balcony cabins, both for storage and for verandahs.

We do feel that it's a little cramped for longer trips- we sailed on Silhouette for an 11 day TA, and it was tight. But not so much that it would EVER impact our choice of itinerary or ship. In fact, there are so many plusses to the S class, that I'm not sure how I'll feel returning to the M class in October! (o.k., the truth- I'm gonna love it!)

Andrew

Archived