Anytime Entertainment??

mikjr

What did HE say was the reason? I've heard several now...

David Cole was the CD. He gave 2 reasons - the crowding and lines to get into the show and having to show up early to the show and the second reason was that "there are a certain amount of people who think they need to be in the theatre seat every single night and do not like when they repeat the same show a second night" - in reference to Princess trying to repeat the same show a second night so that more people can see the show.

In his mind - this was a win-win situation for all. Lines are eliminated and everyone is accommodated and they are not repeating the shows on following nights.

------

He did make a comment that I don't think is true. He indicated that the new Royal Princess's Theatre is not going to be any larger (which Princess material shows it will be). To his defense, he had just been on vacation and joined our ship (in May) around the same time when the new Royal Princess videos were released. So he didn't have a chance to see it. I don't know if he meant "relative size ratio to amount of people or what". He did joke and say that "people who design ships probably have never sailed ships and they (CDs) have to make do with what they have".

The people at our table were not thrilled with the change.

I was on the Sapphire for 3 weeks in May. I ended up skipping a lot of entertainment on the ship as we were on for 3 weeks and I didn't want repeats. Ironically - looking at people's posts later in the summer, they had better entertainment then what we had (Steve Moris, etc..)

David Cole was the CD. He gave 2 reasons - the crowding and lines to get into the show and having to show up early to the show and the second reason was that "there are a certain amount of people who think they need to be in the theatre seat every single night and do not like when they repeat the same show a second night" - in reference to Princess trying to repeat the same show a second night so that more people can see the show.

In his mind - this was a win-win situation for all. Lines are eliminated and everyone is accommodated and they are not repeating the shows on following nights.

------

Very interesting.

Here is an article from the Miami Herald from one of the Princess executives

http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/09/08/2985903_p3/sea-trek-the-next-generation.html

“It seems the passengers’ attention span is shorter. This may be a product of the digital age,” says Caluori. The shorter shows and high tech scenery also reduce costs.

Princess is putting additional focus on in-room entertainment.

“What we think is necessary now is for passengers to be able to demand music or a movie from their cabin whenever they wish,” Calouri says. Princess is developing its own proprietary on-demand system, which will debut on Royal Princess.

Well, this confirm's several things:

1) The shorter shows are to reduce costs.

2) There will be some sort ofn interactive TV on the Royal, my guess is at some cost for each showing of a movie.

Just got off the Sapphire (Alaska Cruise), which has the three shows per evening.

Having read these posts before I left on the cruise, I was worried that I would feel short-changed by just having 30 minute shows, but I found that (1) the shows were fulfilling and enjoyable, and (2) there were no lines or any difficulty getting seats. In fact, the theatre was quite quiet for the final shows of the evening. I felt bad for the performers, and wondered if Princess might at some point cut out the final show due to poor attendance.

Also, we found lots of other entertainment going on. We watched the late night comedian in Explorers, and again this was not well attended. I suspect the lower attendance was due to a post-Labour day cruise, which attracted a somewhat older demographic.

Well, this confirm's several things:

1) The shorter shows are to reduce costs.

2) There will be some sort of interactive TV on the Royal, my guess is at some cost for each showing of a movie.

OH no ! Don't tell me that they'll be charging to see movies? What's next paying for a seat in the show lounge to see "Piano Man".:D:rolleyes:

Just got off the Sapphire (Alaska Cruise), which has the three shows per evening.

Having read these posts before I left on the cruise, I was worried that I would feel short-changed by just having 30 minute shows, but I found that (1) the shows were fulfilling and enjoyable, and (2) there were no lines or any difficulty getting seats. In fact, the theatre was quite quiet for the final shows of the evening. I felt bad for the performers, and wondered if Princess might at some point cut out the final show due to poor attendance.

Also, we found lots of other entertainment going on. We watched the late night comedian in Explorers, and again this was not well attended. I suspect the lower attendance was due to a post-Labour day cruise, which attracted a somewhat older demographic.

Sounds quite different from other ships where if you didn't get to the late night comedian show 30 minutes early you couldn't even get in the lounge no less get a seat.

Sounds quite different from other ships where if you didn't get to the late night comedian show 30 minutes early you couldn't even get in the lounge no less get a seat.

Depends on the number of passengers on the ship.

The Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby have 500 more passengers than the other Grand class ships, but the same size theater.

In recent years our experience has been that the production shows were very crowded, but that attendance at the comedy, singing, and magic shows was significantly less.

Depends on the number of passengers on the ship.

The Caribbean, Crown, Emerald and Ruby have 500 more passengers than the other Grand class ships, but the same size theater.

In recent years our experience has been that the production shows were very crowded, but that attendance at the comedy, singing, and magic shows was significantly less.

I was referring to the adult late night comedy show at 11:30 PM. There is usually only one per sailing (if that) & it's always packed.

As a side note I recently read that Princess has recently lost a suit to someone in the UK who felt that the show was demeaning to people of Irish decent. I don't know if it was at a regular show or late night "R" rated show but I suspect that all the comedians will be further restricted in their content in the future.

• 6 months later...

From discussions I have had with many GuestEntertainers the concept of "Anytime Entertainment" is very much unliked. It dilutes the audience, with 2nd and 3rd shows proving to be very tough work with very small numbers. Many GENT's are declining to work Princess because of this.

From discussions I've had with a few Cruise Directors, it is also not much liked by CD's across the fleet. It's a lot more work for them and their teams and most consider it a daft idea from head office.

Our recent 49 night cruise on the Grand was sold as three separate segments, though the vast majority of passengers were on for the whole 49 nights - and some for longer.

The production shows had been cut back to a bare 30 minutes, as were the guest entertainers' shows. Sometimes there were three shows in the Princess Theatre in the one evening and sometimes only two. I was looking forward to seeing several different production shows in the 49 nights (keep in mind this was sold as one cruise) but we had British Invasion and two other production shows, each on three times.

Only on a few occasions was there a separate entertainer or show in the Vista Lounge.

Maybe an up-side - We could walk in five minutes before any show and get a seat. Unfortunately, for many of the shows (even the production shows), the theatre wasn't even half full.

The production shows had been cut back to a bare 30 minutes, as were the guest entertainers' shows. Sometimes there were three shows in the Princess Theatre in the one evening and sometimes only two. I was looking forward to seeing several different production shows in the 49 nights (keep in mind this was sold as one cruise) but we had British Invasion and two other production shows, each on three times.

The singers and dancers are trained in x number of different shows and the scenery and props are on the ship only for those shows.

It does not matter how long a voyage is. They can only put on the different number of shows that they are trained in and for which they have the scenery and props.

The singers and dancers are trained in x number of different shows and the scenery and props are on the ship only for those shows.

It does not matter how long a voyage is. They can only put on the different number of shows that they are trained in and for which they have the scenery and props.

On previous cruises, there have been more different production shows. I would have to check our Princess Patters, but I think we only had three different shows. I thought Princess had around six shows.

From discussions I've had with a few Cruise Directors, it is also not much liked by CD's across the fleet. It's a lot more work for them and their teams and most consider it a daft idea from head office.

We sat next to David Cole at the Most Traveled Luncheon last May when the Sapphire first implemented the 3 shows. He just kept raving about it and kept saying it was a "win - win situation" for everyone involved.

Everyone at the table disagreed with him as we were not thrilled with the change. He could have been pushing the company line but he did not say anything negative about it and kept promoting it amongst our table as the best thing Princess did.

I think this was David's first experience with it on our sailing. Maybe his thoughts have changed since then.

When AE was first rolled out (and it was on the Emerald Princess on January 17, 2012), it was a huge departure from what Princess had done with entertainment in the past. There were the shortened shows, but also the elimination of any additional show options in any other lounge. They were using the Explorers Lounge for theme nights and trivia and Club Fusion solely for dancing. This is also prett much how it was on the Emerald Princess last November. When the ship returned from dry dock for the Christmas cruise, we noticed several changes. Sometimes there was a second show option in Explorers Lounge. Theme parties were moved to Club Fusion, though trivias still took place in Explorers Lounge most of the time (trivias associated with a theme party took place in Club Fusion before the party). It was definitely an improvement, though it wasn't like it used to be. We were happier with it. And we were very pleased that, on B2B cruises, there was more variety in the entertainment. Not the production shows, of course. There were four of them and they were always the same. But in the "side shows" (as DH calls them). I still miss the longer shows, though, but like that seats are easier to get.

The interesting thing was in early January, when people who always cruise that time of year came on board. The new entertainment format was panned by everyone we talked to. People hated it...and it was an improvement over the original AE format!

On previous cruises, there have been more different production shows. I would have to check our Princess Patters, but I think we only had three different shows. I thought Princess had around six shows.

Princess has about six or even more shows, but on a specific ship it is unusual for the singers and dancers to have been trained to perform more than three or four of them

We sat next to David Cole at the Most Traveled Luncheon last May when the Sapphire first implemented the 3 shows. He just kept raving about it and kept saying it was a "win - win situation" for everyone involved.

Everyone at the table disagreed with him as we were not thrilled with the change. He could have been pushing the company line but he did not say anything negative about it and kept promoting it amongst our table as the best thing Princess did.

Yes, that is what he was doing. A CD on another ship told me he hated the idea.

Thanks for that confirmation from another source. I believe it is widely unliked by Cruise Directors when they speak candidly rather than the "company line."

My main concern was the news that many Guest Entertainers were considering not accepting assignments on Princess if they had to follow that new schedule. There is plenty of work available for good acts on a range of different lines, most of the good acts can pick and choose where they work. ( I have many friends in the GENT community.)

This new policy will lead to either a flush of newer less experienced and possibly less talented acts coming on or the performers who are happy to work like that getting more and more bookings, increasing the chances that you will see the same acts cruise after cruise. I'm sure you are like me , some acts I'm happy to see year after year, but others who havn't changed their acts in 40 years are really only good for one viewing .... if that : )

It will be interesting to see what, if anything, changes with Martin Hall's departure. He was a huge fan of the Piazza entertainment- 7 to 12 minute performances by hula hoopers, balance performers, etc. What I couldn't figure out is that Princess is paying for these people (and there are often two of them) to get to the ship, and then putting them up for several nights and their total performance time might be just 30 minutes totaled. Why not just pay for one entertainer to do shows in Explorers? If they perform just one night that's 90 minutes of entertainment. If they do a different show on a second night, it's 180 minutes of entertainment. Plus, they can play to a much larger audience in the Explorers Lounge compared to the Piazza. Honestly, many Princess passengers can't (or shouldn't be) standing on crowded steps in the Piazza to watch a show, and there are inevitably sales tables set up either blocking the view or adding to the crowding. It just doesn't make sense to me.

I don't really like the Piazza performances--it is so crowded, no place to sit or even stand and get a view. Actually, we avoid them unless we just happen to be walking by and then we might stop for a minute or two, if we can find a spot to see.

I'd much rather have a nice, 50-60 minute show in at least a lounge, or preferably the theater. Some place to sit and long enough to make it worthwhile.

Thanks for that confirmation from another source. I believe it is widely unliked by Cruise Directors when they speak candidly rather than the "company line."

My main concern was the news that many Guest Entertainers were considering not accepting assignments on Princess if they had to follow that new schedule. There is plenty of work available for good acts on a range of different lines, most of the good acts can pick and choose where they work. ( I have many friends in the GENT community.)

This new policy will lead to either a flush of newer less experienced and possibly less talented acts coming on or the performers who are happy to work like that getting more and more bookings, increasing the chances that you will see the same acts cruise after cruise. I'm sure you are like me , some acts I'm happy to see year after year, but others who havn't changed their acts in 40 years are really only good for one viewing .... if that : )

Guest entertainers don't do three shows in a night.

They do now in the new 30 minute show format.

They might sometimes, but they didn't usually do three shows on the 49 night South American cruise on the Grand Princess.

At first I wrote that they "didn't do three shows" but without checking through the Patters for the whole time, I can't guarantee that there were only two shows by the Guest Entertainers EVERY time they performed. If there were three performances, it would have been very rare.

This update does not surprise me at all

I, along with many Princess 'cheerleaders' have never liked the new format. We recall many excellent cabaret artistes performing in explorers with another show the same night in the Theatre. Also, performances were anything from 45 minutes upwards instead of the silly 30 to 35 minutes we have now. The only problem was the need to deal with the problem of overcrowding for the first theatre show. Our solution was to see the cabaret first and the show second

Think again please Princess. We don't like what we have now !

To my knowledge, this was the first time he had experienced it/worked with it (unless the Golden had implemented it previously). He had been off for the few months before that and joined the Sapphire which had just implemented it.

Archived