Bagpiper on Allure ? Why?

darceyg

There is nothing nicer than bagpipes, believe me. I am surrounded by world class pipers, family and work I hear the juniors practise every day. I also have done the Highland Dancing circuit for many years (I will just add, not me, my daughter) And I am proud to say my home town has produced many, many Champions. One local lad played with Madonna. Another one has just completed recording the soundtrack for the latest Disney film Brave. My friends brother wins some of the most prestigious awards in piping, so I think I know good piping.

Just wondered why there was a piper? I appreciate a piano in the piano bar etc but just curious as to the piper?

Oh .....and don't worry you'll hear him ok ..............tuning up.

Love me some bagpipes!! Love a man in a kilt too! ;) it's charming...and may not be everyone's cup of tea...I hate rap music...so to each their own! It's a good thing everyone doesn't have the same tastes in everyting... food, music and just everything... otherwise life would be really boring and you couldn't find a seat at some venues at all...:eek:

Love the bagpipes! Love a man in a kilt! (especially if he is named Sean Connery!)

Our high school nickname was The Highlanders ... and our mascot was Angus. There was a guy in our neighborhood who had the full regalia and played the 'pipes at all football games & other events ... one of my favorite memories!

We were on Allure begining of August? Heard bagpiper tuning up each evening. What is the significance?

That's all fine and good... but isn't it about what the customer wants? :confused:

When the Explorer slowly pulled away from the dock in St John on our NE cruise, a lone piper was on the dock performing for our send-off. For us, the sight and sound of a bagpiper in full regalia is very moving, and is always a great treat. It's something to enjoy and admire, and it's steeped in tradition and history. Why would any one question or disparage it? Enjoy it!

Teddie

Very cool!

I would love to hear a bagpiper playing *outdoors* on a ship!

I have been lucky enough to hear a bagpiper at a dinner in Scotland. The only bad part was the dinner was indoors and those pipes are almost painfully loud in an enclosed area!

Fain is a Scottish name, no? :D

• 7 months later...
When the Explorer slowly pulled away from the dock in St John on our NE cruise, a lone piper was on the dock performing for our send-off. For us, the sight and sound of a bagpiper in full regalia is very moving, and is always a great treat. It's something to enjoy and admire, and it's steeped in tradition and history. Why would any one question or disparage it? Enjoy it!

Teddie

I couldn't agree more. We are sailing on the Allure May 25th and our whole family is hoping the bagpiper is there. We will be so disappointed if they are not!

-Thereasa

That's all fine and good... but isn't it about what the customer wants? :confused:

Based on a quick reading of the posts about this subject it would seem that Mr. Fain found something that struck a favorable chord with many RCI enthusiasts. Maybe he has a better feel for his passengers tastes than some want to admit.:)

He gets paid big bucks to decide what his guests want and in this instance he seems to have been right on target.:)

Well, if that is the case I'm heartbroken. But everyone is entitled to their opinion.

I'll be very sad if he isn't on the Allure in 2014! Hopefully it's a temporary thing that he wasn't on that sailing.

I used to live across the street from a Catholic church in Massachusetts and usually about once a month, there would be a funeral with a bagpiper. I would hear it and instantly, I would have to lay across my bed, looking out the window to hear him play. I would love to hear this on a ship, I haven't heard one since I moved to Virginia!

The bagpiper was just one more of the neat, unexpected, little surprises. Just like the art work scattered around the ship. How many people catch sight of the little dog statue on the promenade peeking into the "basement"?

for me, it's Amazing Grace. if you listen to that song on pipes and fail to be moved, you have no soul.

Couldn't agree more! As a retired LEO that tune on bagpipes carries a totally different meaning as it's played at funerals for fallen officers. Brings a tear anytime I hear it no matter what the occasion may be.

Archived