1st cruise..2 adults 2 kids ..cabin size worry

welsh betty

Shared an inside room with my Mom earlier this year. It was great for 2 adults. Would probably be fine for 2 adults and a kid. Many people cruise all the time with 4 adults or 2 adults/2 older kids in an inside. Personally I'd think that was squished, but it totally depends on your family and how comfortable you are in small spaces together. May also depend on if anyone snores loudly or hogs the bathroom. Does your room have 2 of the fold-down beds so the beds will be arranged like bunks, or is one of the beds a trundle/roll-away? I think that would make a difference, with the bunks being much better.

We usually do insides. DD,DH and I (and sometimes DD brings a friend, although not on Princess). The beds are made up as two singles, and in the evening when the beds are turned down, the upper berths will be lowered and ladder will be placed at the end.

The best idea I took from CC was to use an over the door shoe holder. We each get a row, and use it to put all of our little things in. This helps to keep the cabin neat.

We don't spend much time in the cabin. The only time we need a little schedule is getting ready for dinner on the cruises when DD has a friend. We work it out DH and I get ready, and tell DD and friend when cabin will be available for them. We leave cabin as DD and friend go in to shower and get ready. We go to lounge and enjoy drink, they have a time to meet us at the lounge. Then we all go to dinner.

I've never been on the Grand but I recently shared a quad oceanview on the Sapphire with 2 other adults and a 10 yr old and it was just fine. We are a very close family and all get along so no problem for us at all.

I was in Wales last summer....cool place, loved all the castles:)

Slighty worried about the size of the inside staterooms as there is 4 of us 2 adults 2 boys 13 and 9 :confused: can anyone tell me honestly what its like please thanks x

I guess I'm the odd man out here.

Is it doable? Based on everyone else s reply, i suppose. Would I do it? No.

Maybe you should practice at home. Take the measurements of the cabin and try it at home.

Can you book a balcony cabin and share that? It would be a lot better.the guaranteed balconies are not too expensive and you would have so much more open space.

Slighty worried about the size of the inside staterooms as there is 4 of us 2 adults 2 boys 13 and 9 :confused: can anyone tell me honestly what its like please thanks x

I traveled with DH and teen son in an inside cabin once on the Summit.

NEVER AGAIN. Waaaaaaaayyyyyy too small.

my children are 13 and 9 so it would be alot more exspensive to get 2 cabins

The prices are not dependent on age. I know when we went last summer, the price for the third and fourth person in a cabin was not that much less than the first two, so for us the cost of two cabins was not a huge jump over one. The only issue you really have is that they will make one adult register in each cabin with one child.

Why not just get two cabins? Wouldn't you be paying the same anyway?

On many sailings, you can get a third and fourth person rate that is much lower. We've usually gotten an inside for the three of us, with our daughter getting the top bunk. When you're at dinner, the cabin steward will take down the beds for the extra person from the wall or ceiling, depend on the set up. During the day, the steward puts back the top bed.

The only issue you really have is that they will make one adult register in each cabin with one child.

...and that can be a pain since the card is used for everything - been there, done that but I still say if you can possibly swing another cabin, I would. If it's the difference between cruising and not, well cozy up then!

Doable but not delightful. Definately the over the door shoe holder so everyone has space to store things. Take advantage of the spa/gym showers to take some of the pressure off bathroom time. We spend very little time in the cabin, but the stuff of four people makes it really cozy. Pack light, keep very organized. Hopefully the 13 year old is mature enough to have a bit of freedom and the 9 year old will like the planned activities.

Thanks to everyone for their comments..im sure we will have a great time even if its a litte cramped 7 days to go :)

Have a great time it is doable. We also store the suitcases under the bed, put our used clothes in those suitcases. We find if we keep away the clutter, it is much more enjoyable. We are not neat freaks at home, but in the small space it works best for us to put things away and prevent clutter.

Also nice to know where the closest public rest room is just in case yours is occupied and someone else NEEDS it.;)

Thanks to everyone for their comments..im sure we will have a great time even if its a litte cramped 7 days to go :)

The room may be cramped but the ship is huge and that's where you will spend all of your time. You have the right attitude. Have a terrific time!

Hope you have a great cruise!

Of course it's going to be more cramped (and therefore less luxurious, and possible less relaxing) than having two cabins or a larger suite, but it has to be 'doable'. I have many friends who live in fairly spacious houses but seem to love camping under canvas, where the floor space is no more than in an inside cabin, without the storage space and the bathroom. What they enjoy is being together and being 'different' to home. That's not for me, but that doesn't make it not right for them.

When we stay in hotels on land sometimes we have a fairly luxurious room in a smart hotel, and on other occasions we stay in a clean but characterless motel room, e.g. before a ferry crossing to France. That provides us with what we need at the time, and as long as you regard your cabin for this cruise as a base to sleep / store your stuff (tidily!), change and bathe and spend your time out and about on the ship, then you will have a great time. You never know one day you may be able to stay in a full suite. I'm still dreaming of that ...

Archived