I want to declare my liquor!

porrah

Here's the problem - we are flying in from Canada the night before the cruise and will just have time to buy a bottle of vodka at Total Wine before they close. I want it to take home, but we leave for the airport after the cruise - no time to stop. Can I tell them I have it and ask them to keep it for me? Would it be better to have it in my carry on bag rather than my big suitcase?

Here's the problem - we are flying in from Canada the night before the cruise and will just have time to buy a bottle of vodka at Total Wine before they close. I want it to take home, but we leave for the airport after the cruise - no time to stop. Can I tell them I have it and ask them to keep it for me? Would it be better to have it in my carry on bag rather than my big suitcase?

Why not buy it at the duty free store on the ship. It will delivered to your cabin (or you might have to pick it up) on the last night of the trip so you pack it in your suitcase.

Carry on - the liquids rule is that nothing should be bigger than 100mls.

so you can forget that one.:)

Carry on - the liquids rule is that nothing should be bigger than 100mls.

so you can forget that one.:)

I think OP means carry on the ship and have it stowed until the end?

I'd order on the ship and have them keep it or order duty free on the plane. With no tax, it might be cheaper than Total Wine.

Honestly there's no guarantee that anyone would be willing to do that.. and even if they said sure, no problem, what will you do if they cannot produce the bottle at the end of the cruise? it would be your word against theirs that you were told it would be okay to stash it there. the port's policy may be to toss all confiscated items.

just buy it duty free on board and have it delivered the last night. or on the plane ride home.

The ships let you buy booze on the islands and take it home, just explain you were in the US for vacation. Check it in with the ship and not the port :) Keep the receipts.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I was thinking the same thing. Call the ship and ask. I am sure they will work with you. Another option - see if Total Wine will ship it home for you.

Kathy

Get a locker at the airport and stow it there until you get back. hmmm I'm guessing they still have lockers.

Not since 9/11. Actually sometimes private companies rent out lockers next to train stations/metro stops - but not airports really - just because most airports are not near other buildings.

Get a locker at the airport and stow it there until you get back. hmmm I'm guessing they still have lockers.

Even if they have lockers (doubtful) that might cost more than the Vodka!

Simply have it in your carry-on when you board the ship. Tell them you have it and they will hold it until the last night.

Don't they sell vodka where you live?

Why the effort to buy vodka away from home?

OP, like us, lives in Canada where alcohol is a lot more expensive than in the States. The savings could be as high as 60% or more on some items, seriously. A little effort, a lot of money saved. That is the reason.

Honestly there's no guarantee that anyone would be willing to do that.. and even if they said sure, no problem, what will you do if they cannot produce the bottle at the end of the cruise? it would be your word against theirs that you were told it would be okay to stash it there. the port's policy may be to toss all confiscated items.

You're new to this aren't you? Why are you giving advice on a subject that you know nothing about? OP - yes, the ship will store the bottle for you. They do it any time someone tries to bring a bottle on from a port or if it is purchased on the ship. If you are going to give it to them, it will be best to have it in your carry-on. If it is in your checked luggage, they may hold your luggage and make you come claim it. If it is a full, unopened bottle it will not be discarded. When you turn the bottle over to them, they will need your Sea Pass to verify your cabin number. They will give you a receipt. Depending on the ship, the bottle will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night or you will have to pick it up on the last morning.

You're new to this aren't you? Why are you giving advice on a subject that you know nothing about? OP - yes, the ship will store the bottle for you. They do it any time someone tries to bring a bottle on from a port or if it is purchased on the ship. If you are going to give it to them, it will be best to have it in your carry-on. If it is in your checked luggage, they may hold your luggage and make you come claim it. If it is a full, unopened bottle it will not be discarded. When you turn the bottle over to them, they will need your Sea Pass to verify your cabin number. They will give you a receipt. Depending on the ship, the bottle will be delivered to your stateroom on the last night or you will have to pick it up on the last morning.

Actually, you aren't entirely correct either. If you buy it from the duty free store onboard, then yes, they hold it for you until the last night of the cruise (or debarkation morning). But alcohol brought on from elsewhere, while frequently returned, isn't always. I have unopened wine confiscated and discarded and know others who have as well. If you don't buy it from them, they are within their rights to do this and sometimes they exercise those rights.

I purchased flavored rum in Jamaica and pomegranate tequila in Coz. Royal caribbean had attendants at each port who will take your liquor and give you a receipt. On the last day of cruise it is returned to you for packing and taking with you. There are many types of liquor that can't be purchased at home or on board, therefore they provide this option. I have never had a problem with having the items returned.

i would just buy the vodka on board at the duty free store ,we do it all the time very cheap prices compared to home. we haved also purchased rum when visiting one of our port of calls and they have always held onto it for us until the last night.

OP, like us, lives in Canada where alcohol is a lot more expensive than in the States. The savings could be as high as 60% or more on some items, seriously. A little effort, a lot of money saved. That is the reason.

Grey Goose on board $29.99

Grey Goose in Canada $69.99

Always bring the Goose home with me ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We always just buy it onboard. It's cheaper than duty free and will almost certainly be cheaper than Total Wine. As well you can take advantage of any "2 fer" offers and you can each declare one of them. Just have the onboard store wrap them for you so that you can pack them in your suitcase because you CANNOT carry them. And make sure to leave enough weight variance so you won't be over on your return trip. We do this every trip. Love the prices onboard. You'd think they would be higher......but happily they are not!

Actually, you aren't entirely correct either. If you buy it from the duty free store onboard, then yes, they hold it for you until the last night of the cruise (or debarkation morning). But alcohol brought on from elsewhere, while frequently returned, isn't always. I have unopened wine confiscated and discarded and know others who have as well. If you don't buy it from them, they are within their rights to do this and sometimes they exercise those rights.

I have never seen or heard of this happening. We have bought alcohol in port many times. As long as the bottles are unopened they have always held them for us and returned them to us. I guess your experience and mine differ.

Not since 9/11. Actually sometimes private companies rent out lockers next to train stations/metro stops - but not airports really - just because most airports are not near other buildings.

I was wondering about that, I never used a locker at a airport but I remember they had them at one time.

I have never seen or heard of this happening. We have bought alcohol in port many times. As long as the bottles are unopened they have always held them for us and returned them to us. I guess your experience and mine differ.

just off the Elation Thursday and they deliver someone else's rum to our cabin the last night. This was purchased in Mexico but they had our cabin number on it. Maybe they got scared trying to sneak it back on.

Grey Goose on board $29.99

Grey Goose in Canada $69.99

Always bring the Goose home with me ;)

That's exactly what I bought on my last cruise! My husband and I have spent a few weekends in the US this year (plus our Alaskan cruise) and always try to get to the duty free on the way home since they are always the best prices (maybe not the biggest selection).

Archived