Passenger List

Silver Spectre

I'm sorry but I don't understand why some of you want a passenger list? It does seem very unusual practice and I'm not sure I'm comfortable with it at all.

I've only done one SS cruise and we met some great people, some of whom we will keep in touch with.....so we just exchanged email addresses. We don't have anything to hide but I wouldn't feel comfortable with the whole ship knowing our details.

...and some of us don't understand why those who aren't comfortable with their surnames and hometowns being recorded can't be given the opportunity to opt out. Viva la difference.

I miss the passenger list but I suppose its disappearance was inevitable. Its quite paradoxical that much of the world conducts interpersonal relationships through social media sites yet old fashioned logs and manifests are deemed to be invasions of privacy.

Heaven's sake, I saw a colleague's backside on Facebook the other day, even though he can barely manage a terse greeting when he passes folk in the hall.

It's also true that most of the ship knows a great deal about the passengers. Not the whole ship, granted. But most of the ship. For example, the crew has access to names, photos and preferences. There's no other way they could provide personalised service if they didn't. It's just the other passengers that are in splendid isolation. There's no reason to believe the crew are any more trustworthy than fellow passengers with those details and vice versa. I reckon it's all a bit of a nonsense, this illusion of privacy.

It's also true that most of the ship knows a great deal about the passengers. Not the whole ship, granted. But most of the ship. For example, the crew has access to names, photos and preferences. There's no other way they could provide personalised service if they didn't. It's just the other passengers that are in splendid isolation. There's no reason to believe the crew are any more trustworthy than fellow passengers with those details and vice versa. I reckon it's all a bit of a nonsense, this illusion of privacy.

So true. We missed the lists.

• 1 month later...

I keep trying to post on this and it is not working- forgive if suddenly there are three similar posts

Again I will try. Maybe if this were an opt in rather than an opt out option it would be more acceptable to whoever makes these decisions?

I totally agree with Oregon50 when he says:

I believe whatever legal reason that was explained is just plain BS from SS. What is it with hotel desk people that allow them to lie so easily and keep a straight face? On SS it has progressed to several departments.

And how can the very few that sailed with this company during the 90's continue to keep a straight face today?

When need arises, there now seems to be, with Customer-interface persons: The Reason, and for you to work out, a long time later usually: The Real Reason. But, boy oh boy, is The Reason ever delivered with a straight face? (as Oregon50 so aptly puts it.) You betcha boots it is! And that’s why it oft takes one so long to work out The Real Reason. Vexing! And you are so right, Oregon50, "On SS it has progressed to several departments."

As to Cost-cutting, this is also evident in the Bar Staff and also the Restaurant Waiters. Now, the Philippinos may possibly be, generally speaking and across the board, one of the most handsome, courteous, accommodating-to-others races on this planet; and a lot of them speak a natural English and are pretty smart too. On the other hand, on Seabourn, they appear to stock their Bar Staff and Restaurant Waiters mainly with NZ, Australian, UK and South African larrikins - or with Euros with attitude. But, I have fun every night when I go to any Bar on Seabourn - and after dinner it is usually going til late at night. And the larrikins/Euros have it beautifully under control, and the joint is jumpin’. As for Silversea: I just go for one pre-dinner drink, and only because it’s sort of required, really.

Restaurant:same.

As for the missing Passenger List: it made me gnash my teeth a bit, at the shear stupidity. You like your hosts to be smart.

On another Blog the other day: "Put in a deliberate error in the final bit and watch the smart-a*ses run with it, but add nothing. It's fun."

It took til the final para to come up with a winner in 'shear': but then these two in 12 hours isn't too shabby.

• 3 weeks later...

I am very surprised that this is the first time a cruise line has

been threatened with legal action.

For those of you that travel by air to your ship's point of

departure, why not ask or demand that the air carrier that

you are traveling on provide you with a list of passenger's

names and home town...

Should be lots of fun...

No passenger list on the TA on spirit last week. It think there should be one and people could opt out if they wanted, sort of like the charity donation thing where you can fill out a form to opt out.

But I agree, probably just an excuse for cost cutting.

I'm glad they didn't have lists on my last cruise.

We had unique luggage straps on our cases. When I say unique - they were - they were prototypes made in a Chinese factory for us to decide what would be manufactured. A friend and client was in the luggage business and was with us on the cruise. The webbing was designed by us for a specific purpose in highly unusual pantone selected colours and was never manufactured. We always leave the lock combination on "000" on the basis that if customs want to take a peep it's better than destroying them.

After our luggage was left outside our suite the straps disappeared off our luggage and reappeared on another passengers luggage on the dock the following day. They were easily identifiable, although know one could have known or suspected that they were unique. There were also other marks on them. I told SS staff and gave them the other identifying pointers. They examined the straps and confirmed that the identifying marks were exactly as I stated.

I asked them to call the police if they wanted and have the passenger charged with theft. They approached the passenger - a doctor from my home country - and he blustered. We stood discretely close to listen. They asked him when he bought them - 'can't remember'. Asked him where he bought them - 'can't remember'. They didn't want to call the police and cause a fuss and promised to replace them - which they paid to do. Repeat - 100% certainty!

On the bus back to the airport we had to list to him indignantly drone on about being a doctor and the indignity of it all. I was seething And wanted to confront him but was forbidden by the boss!

I'm so pleased I didn't have the full name and county ....... and if we had - HE would have complained to SS.

I'm so pleased I didn't have the full name and county ....... and if we had - HE would have complained to SS.

You didn't think to approach him and ask to admire the luggage strap that caused the commotion, and while doing so, admire his luggage tag as well (memorizing the contents?)

You didn't think to approach him and ask to admire the luggage strap that caused the commotion, and while doing so, admire his luggage tag as well (memorizing the contents?)

Thanks Kate,

I thought of many things. And it still really wrankles that someone could steal something so trivial.

I'm well aware that I can be quite direct about these things and my wife has a fair amount to contend with. In deference to her - I didn't want her upset - I felt it better to let SS deal with it and abide by what they decided.

Jeff

On the SS transatlantic Ft Lauderdale - Lisbon one of the staff members said that they are no longer given a list of passengers with our pictures so they don't know who we are! We had a few staff ask us what our names are. Hmmm....

Archived