Apple iOS6 and Princess WiFi

ReturnCruiser

We’re currently on the Emerald Princess. When we signed up for WiFI on board, we were informed that the iOS6 is not currently supported. Apparently, the sessions do not properly disconnect from the WiFi system and your pool of time continues to be depleted even though you’re logged out of the system. This problem affects iPad and iPhones that are running iOS6. I’m guessing this will be resolved in the near future, but it is a disappointment if you planned to use your updated iPad on board.

We’re currently on the Emerald Princess. When we signed up for WiFI on board, we were informed that the iOS6 is not currently supported. Apparently, the sessions do not properly disconnect from the WiFi system and your pool of time continues to be depleted even though you’re logged out of the system. This problem affects iPad and iPhones that are running iOS6. I’m guessing this will be resolved in the near future, but it is a disappointment if you planned to use your updated iPad on board.

That's good to know. I haven't updated my iPhone or iPad to IOS6 because of the maps issue. Now I will wait to see if the problem is corrected before we cruise in February or maybe I will take a laptop.

On our recent Emerald TA I didn't even try to use my iPad for wifi. Every time I was in the Internet Cafe there was someone there complaining that all of their minutes had disappeared because their iPad hadn't signed off properly. Hopefully this will be solved before our Grand P cruise in April.

Are you sure that your IOS device was configured properly? I've had configuration issues in the past that caused my iPod Touch to disconnect but not logoff. I posted a solution that worked for me on another thread on the Princess board:

We were on the Sapphire recently. Per the instruction sheet that I got from Internet Services:

Your iPad/iPhone/iPod will keep disconnecting you until you turn off “Auto login” in your settings:

a.
Tap Settings > WiFi > Tap on (ex: Sapphire-Princess)

b.
Tap on the blue arrow on the right of the network name. Make sure to turn off Auto login and leave Auto join on.

c.
Open Safari. In the address bar enter any address (ex: google.com) and you will be redirected to the Login Page.

d.
Make sure you have “Proxy” turned “Off”.

If you’re still having disconnect problems. Or if you don’t understand the instructions, take your device to Internet Services and let them configure it for you.

We just got off the Emerald! Hope you have better weather on your trip :-)

We didn't use the internet on the ship at all this time. Just used free WiFi when we were off the ship. It wasn't hard to find - just look for all the people with iPads, iPhones, laptops, etc sitting around! We do have iOS6 on our devices and didn't have any problems using the WiFi.

Have a great trip!

We just got off the Emerald! Hope you have better weather on your trip :-) We do have iOS6 on our devices and didn't have any problems using the WiFi.

Thank you for this. I just upgraded last night; I knew about the potential maps issue (and what I've found for my purposes is that Apple maps works fine), but hadn't considered the ship's WiFi issue. Hopefully we'll get it to work!

Uh Oh - I wasn't taking my laptop because DH is taking his IPAD on our Hawaii trip on the Golden on 10/24 - but since he has the update to IOS6, we may have a problem. Oh well, we will give it a try just to make sure and if it is a problem, we will wait until we get to the islands to get up to speed with our emails, etc.

Guest arowe6

There seems to ALWAYS be issues with the Princess wifi and Apple products.

Last November on the Emerald there was a stretch of about 3 days where we couldn't connect with our iPhones or iPads. This was on iOS 5 at the time. Seems like a silly excuse from Princess to me.

-Andrew :)

Are you sure that your IOS device was configured properly? I've had configuration issues in the past that caused my iPod Touch to disconnect but not logoff. I posted a solution that worked for me on another thread on the Princess board:
On our recent cruise to Mexico on the Star, there was a flyer with your solution at the internet desk. We had no problem connecting to Wi-Fi or signing off on iPad 3, iPhone 5, and iPhone 4, all with IOS6.

• 4 weeks later...

pm Cruiser.

Thanks for the info. Did you disconnect using the 1.1.1.1? Or how?

I was on the Island Princess from September 28-October 13. I'd gotten my iPhone 5 (with iOS 6) a few days before leaving and used it exclusively throughout the cruise with no problems. The only place on the ship I couldn't use it was in The Sanctuary (which makes sense.)

You can logout by using either 1.1.1.1 or logout.com. Both worked for me. The mobile WiFi version on the ship is much improved with better reporting. You can now see an entire list of every time you signed on, minutes used and MB used.

Just back from Star Princess - the flyers that gave instructions on how to configure iOS6 weren't around. I talked to the Internet Manager and he indicated that because of the iOS6 configuration, you can lose your connection to the wi-fi yet the server won't recognize that you've been disconnected and will continue to eat up your minutes.

He looked at my iPad and indicated that the settings that were needed were not possible because the Apple software doesn't allow you to configure the wi-fi connectivity as it did in previous versions. I didn't try the instructions noted above, so I don't know if they would have worked. I just used the internet cafe and not having the convenience of the iPad probably saved me a few internet bucks.

Congrats to you all who seem to have had no problems. Hopefully we'll get a consistent experience on all the Princess ships in terms of this connectivity soon.

logout.com brings you to 1.1.1.1

Even with iOS 5 I found that I had to enter 1.1.1.1 to log out; I could never get the logout button to work.

But, because we used to have to type 1.1.1.1 for so many years to log out, it was really not a big deal to me.

I'm curious, though: to the folks who are reporting current problems with iOS 6, have you tried 1.1.1.1 and is it not working?

Even with iOS 5 I found that I had to enter 1.1.1.1 to log out; I could never get the logout button to work.

But, because we used to have to type 1.1.1.1 for so many years to log out, it was really not a big deal to me.

I'm curious, though: to the folks who are reporting current problems with iOS 6, have you tried 1.1.1.1 and is it not working?

On my cruise last month, I had far fewer problems logging in or out on my iPhone 5 with iOS6 than I did previously with my iPhone 4 with iOS5. If it didn't log out, I re-checked my WiFi connection (sometimes, I would re-select it even though the WiFi symbol showed at the top) and then it would log out normally.

Archived