Afternoon snacking

diverjen

Thanks for all the responses. I don't mind having to go get something, I'm not quite that lazy :p but its nice to know what will be available. Unfortunately I'm a snacker, sometimes in lieu of a real meal, especially when I am having a few cocktails.

I travel with some individual size of trail mix (salty/sweet or the dried fruits). I know there is more than enough food onboard but they are handy. I take them ashore, flights, emergency sake, sometimes they go back home but a little security blanket for me. As long as they are the individually wrapped kind, I've never had a problem getting them on or off the ship.

I have seen chips, salsa and guacamole at the buffet at lunchtime many times. But, if you can't find it when the craving hits, and you don't mind paying a little extra, they can deliver a HUGE batch of very good guacamole with chips and salsa from room service. I think it's $8.

Why $8. I thought room service was free.

I can't speak for the princess cruises and what they offer, as we are sailing with them for the first time. But on our last cruise which was with celebrity, we had late seating, so I would go up to the lido deck around 4:00pm and they would have a variety of tea sandwiches out as part of afternoon tea. I would bring them back to our cabin for a little snack before our late afternoon nap. Just perfect!
Princess is quite different from Celebrity. The buffet is open all day... it doesn't close and doesn't shut down other than one side at a time to switch over from breakfast to lunch and then to dinner. Formal tea is in the dining room in the afternoon. However, you can get either a hot meal, snacks, sandwich makings, pastas, cookies, desserts, etc. all afternoon until dinner plus the pizza and grill are open from lunch until late at night.

I can't speak for the princess cruises and what they offer, as we are sailing with them for the first time. But on our last cruise which was with celebrity, we had late seating, so I would go up to the lido deck around 4:00pm and they would have a variety of tea sandwiches out as part of afternoon tea. I would bring them back to our cabin for a little snack before our late afternoon nap. Just perfect!

Look in the Patters for afternoon tea in the mid afternoon (around 3 or 3:30) in one of the dining rooms. On our last cruise, I ran into my teen one afternoon and she said she wanted to try afternoon tea so we went.

My husband likes to munch on peanuts with his glass of wine so we do bring a jar or two with us.

Please try to make it to tea once on your cruise. We have found going to tea a very civilized way to have a nosh before dinner. Wonderful little three bite sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and assorted mini sweets. Wonderful!

The pizza is a good snack too. You can get a slice and cut it into small bites to share instead of grabbing a lot and pigging out on it. We like the margarita kind.

In HC, the cheeses are sliced and the varieties change daily. You might find brie, smoke gouda, cheddar, swiss.

The desserts besides their fantastic cookies are really two or three bites big. Fruit tarts, slivers of cakes and pies. The fresh fruit is always plentiful - watermelon, cantaloupe, honey dew, strawberries, pineapple.

Gotta stop, I'm hungry and the nearest Horizon Court os hundreds of miles and 54 days away!

With all the humidity, it's not surprising that the ship doesn't keep crunchy snacks available. They would receive a lot of complaints about stale chips or pretzels. It makes perfect sense to me and I don't blame them for making that decision.

That being said, we like a salty, crunchy snack with wine in the afternoon on our balcony, so we bring peanuts, chex mix or chips which we keep in a ziplock bag or the air tight jar they came in. The chocolate that is left on our pillows usually goes in a glass on the bar, so if we ever do need a chocolate fix, that's our supply. :)

Wonderful little three bite sandwiches, scones with clotted cream, and assorted mini sweets. Wonderful!

Is it really clotted cream?? Or is it just regular whipped cream? I will be in heaven if it's actual clotted cream! :)

One afternoon I found my teen son in the buffet with a bunch of his new friends eating falafel with ketchup.

My daughter says she can't count how many plates of french fries she ate in one week.

Personally, I'm always on the lookout for guacamole. It's fantastic! Sometimes they have pita and hummus in the afternoons too.

Since we are talking about snacks - what can you get at Vines? Might be nice to stop in an get an afteroon glass of wine and a snack.

Vines is located just a few steps from the International Cafe which has plenty of fun food to eat.

Oh my gosh, why did I click on this thread??? Now I'm starving, okay not starving....craving all those goodies. 14 days and I'll be on the Star and figuring out what to have first...the Horizon Court? No wait, pizza by the pool....or a dog or burger from the grill. Those are all my favorites....can't wait!!!!

And if you're dressed in shorts or better, you can have afternoon tea in one of the dining rooms. That's one thing we missed doing on our Alaskan cruise because of all of the activities going on about the ship.

Do not miss this.It`s a treat!!!!!!!:)

the bars have chips and sometimes nuts in addition to snack mix. All you have to do is ask. You can also have the same delivered to your room via room service for free. I don't think ive seen the salty snacks at the pool bars but I bet if you ask nicely they can make it happen.

Will be on Ruby in 60 days, can't wait for the international cafe and vines. They are the best spots for a snack! We go every night before dinner for a glass of wine and a snack! Also love the fries and pizza on the pool deck. Usually hit that up in the afternoon!

Archived