Purchasing South Sea cultured pearls

Aussie Claire

I am interested in purchasing a black pearl on my next cruise. The ship will be stopping in French Polynesia at Papeete, Moorea & Bora Bora on its course to Hawaii.

Does anyone have an advice or experience in purchasing South Sea pearls, and where might be the best place to purchase. I am not fussed if it is set in jewellery or a loose pearl as I can have it set later at home.

When we were in Papeete, my DH and another couple took a local bus just to do some sightseeing (I had a cold - in the South Pacific duh) There are pearl shops everywhere but outside of town is much cheaper. DH came back with a lovely pendant with 2 pearls for way less than in Papeete. It pays to know your prices before you go. Yes they were appraised when we got home and DD loves them. We were not all that impressed with Papeete but OMG Moorea and Bora Bora wow double wow!!

My experience is exactly 10 years old-but I believe that it has not changed a lot. There were many many stores selling black pearls jewelry downtown Papeete;some very affordable,some more upscale. It is hard to say where is the best to buy,I think if you look at several stores,get ideas what you like and compare prices,you will not have a hard time to bring home some wonderful piece (or more;)). In Moorea I had seen much less stores but in general more upscale. Good luck and have a great cruise!:)

My suggestion, actually, Jacquie's, is not to buy the pearls in the stores. She suggests the pearl farms or at the tender dock in Moorea. They have tents set up with loose pearls. Also, she suggests that you buy loose pearls and have them set at home because gold, etc. is MUCH higher in the islands. But, if you are putting them on a necklace, have them drilled there because they know where the flaws are and will drill in the correct place. As someone else suggests, know how the pearls are graded and classified if you want to know what you are buying.

I hope I was of some help. :)

Last November we were on the Century Pacific Jewels cruise, so did the reverse route that the OP will be on.

Each port had many, many pearl shops and stalls. While I don't claim any expertise in black pearls, I do have a very nice set of pearls that my husband purchased about twenty years ago while on a business trip to Japan. Looking at the black pearls on the Century cruise at the various ports, there was a tremendous range in quality, as would be expected. I actually didn't purchase, because I also questioned much of the quality and also questioned some of the claims made by the sales staff in the shops. But it was great fun looking.

Thank you everyone for your very kind and informative information. I will do some research, although it is difficult to know what is genuine to a novice.

I must say the responses are pretty much what I expected. The ball is in our court. On our Carribean cruise I played it safe and stuck to the shops recommended by Celebrity and ended up with a beautiful piece that I had appraised when I got home and was not disappointed. Celebrity guarantees the quality if you stay with their recommendations. So will probably do the same again. I actually ran into the jewelery liaison in the shop when I purchased my pendant and she helped bargain for me! She also gave a really good seminar on purchasing jewelery prior to our first port stop. My husband does not mind me buying he just does not want to spend a day being dragged from store to store like last time.

I look forward to meeting you, Aussie Claire. We are going a week ahead to spend that time with our daughter, her husband and 2 wee sons. Although I have made many trips to NZ over the 8 years she has been there our only time in Australia was last Christmas when we spent a few days in Sydney prior to going to Auckland.

I must say the responses are pretty much what I expected. The ball is in our court. On our Carribean cruise I played it safe and stuck to the shops recommended by Celebrity and ended up with a beautiful piece that I had appraised when I got home and was not disappointed. Celebrity guarantees the quality if you stay with their recommendations. So will probably do the same again. I actually ran into the jewelery liaison in the shop when I purchased my pendant and she helped bargain for me! She also gave a really good seminar on purchasing jewelery prior to our first port stop. My husband does not mind me buying he just does not want to spend a day being dragged from store to store like last time.

I look forward to meeting you, Aussie Claire. We are going a week ahead to spend that time with our daughter, her husband and 2 wee sons. Although I have made many trips to NZ over the 8 years she has been there our only time in Australia was last Christmas when we spent a few days in Sydney prior to going to Auckland.

I also look forward to meeting you. I have a very dear friend who lives in your part of the world in Toronto, Canada is such a beautiful country.

Last year I met a jewellery consultant on the Equinox, I will ask him if he can recommend where to purchase.

I hope you have a fast and safe trip to New Zealand. Are you sailing from New Zealand on the Solstice or joining it in Sydney?

I bought my black pearls on the island of Rangaroa. We stayed there pre cruise and on the advice of the lady in the hotel we went to a lady's front room and picked out our pearls. You need to know the law on taxing and fees for pearls. If I remember correctly, the taxes are very high on jewelry that is set in a setting while there is not tax on loose pearls. I knew not so much about it but when I appraised it with some other jewelry for insurance it was worth more than I paid. Out of city shops of course cheaper than tourist shops in main drag. Bear in mind that cruise lines do have contracts with some of the stores to "give favorable mention":rolleyes: so the "jewelry guides" could also be assuring a giveback to the ship. JMHO -- I don't usually attend or buy the things featured in shopping seminars because it's just not me.

I love Tahitian pearls...the range of colours are so beautiful from dark black, grey, peacock, and green.

I thought that the prices in French Polynesia were a bit high, so I bought some Tahitian pearl dangle earrings with 18K gold in a small shop in Maui. A fair price for their size and quality.

On another cruise, I bought a Tahitian pearl pendant in the ship's jewellery boutique.

Do a lot of research so you'll have an idea.

There are some "pearl" forums out there.

Cheers.

I also look forward to meeting you. I have a very dear friend who lives in your part of the world in Toronto, Canada is such a beautiful country.

Last year I met a jewellery consultant on the Equinox, I will ask him if he can recommend where to purchase.

I hope you have a fast and safe trip to New Zealand. Are you sailing from New Zealand on the Solstice or joining it in Sydney?

Thanks for the wishes, but as we know the trip to NZ is never fast. We will fly from Auckland to Sydney to catch the Solstice. We actually never thought about the possibility of catching the Solstice in Auckland. We overnight at the Hilton Sydney Hotel on George Street. Having spent 4 days in Sydney a year ago, we have done the harbour tour and the city tour (twice). Not sure what we will do to put in time until we board. But I do not think it is a lot of time to have to put in.

You are right Canada is beautiful, and although I have seen a lot of it having travelled both east and west, there is still so much to see.

If you get the info from your consultant, I hope we can manage to shop together. I, too, will do whatever research I can, but the bottom line is we are still novices and will be "easy pickings" unless we purchase from a reliable place.

There are two great places to buy black pearls. I'll have to look it up, but on Moorea there is a shop that donates a portion of all its sales to sealife conservation. I think the name began with "Ron." I bought a beautiful necklace, earrings, and three loose pearls there and the price was excellent. The only problem is that you will need a rental car or taxi to get there.

On Bora Bora I went to the Tahitian Pearl Market and bought three more loose pearls and had them strung on a cord necklace there. It's also gorgeous. I also bought a very nice and unique necklace from one of the pier vendors at Moorea.

Basically, if you see something you like, get it. Just check the quality and be sure to bargain. We did so with all three purchases.

On Bora Bora I went to the Tahitian Pearl Market and bought three more loose pearls and had them strung on a cord necklace there. It's also gorgeous. I also bought a very nice and unique necklace from one of the pier vendors at Moorea.

Basically, if you see something you like, get it. Just check the quality and be sure to bargain. We did so with all three purchases.

I also bought several very nice and unique necklaces at the pier on Moorea. They are made of black mother-of-pearl and were inexpensive (~25$). I kept 2 for myself and still get compliments when I wear them in the summer as the quality of the mother-of-pearl is incredible !

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

When you get to the Islands of Tahiti, right outside of the small ports, you will find women selling their pearls at card tables under white tents. They are the mothers of the pearl divers. You need to decide what colors of pearls you like. There are many colors. They have wonderful prices at their tables and you can find many loose pearls.

Archived