Eurodam passenger reported missing 11/29/12

Salacia

Ah, "older" is in the eye of the beholder. I am surrounded by college students, and, alas, 42 is older. :p

Yeah. I'm 42 and worked with college students in a research lab at a University, supervising their experiments. I didn't feel quite so old, until they started calling me "the lab mom" lol

Hopefully, whatever happened was caught on one or more of the security cameras on the decks, and this would also give them the time of the incident, and then the captain can determine where the ship was at that time. That and knowledge of ocean currents should allow an for an accurate search. But it's still a big big ocean out there.

Aren't most of these overboard incidents suicides? In that case, what is the good news?

If not a suicide, number two reason is drunken stunt.

Has any one ever actually fallen overboard sober and by accident?

It would be difficult, but there are some places you could fall from.

We were on this cruise and are now waiting for our flight home, but thought I would get on to see what updates I could find. Here is what we know.

Announcement made approximately 4:30am on November 29th of a missing person. Jason Rappe of cabin 6156. (Inside cabin, aft, port side, one deck up from ours)

Less than 1/2 hour later an announcement is made still looking for Mrs. Jason Rappe. At that point we thought it to be a female. Wondering why they didn't use her first name.

Approximately 7:30am it is announced an update. Passenger still cannot be located and that a picture of the person will be posted on the ships tv shortly.

At approximately 10:00am I asked a fellow passenger what he had heard. Found out it was a guy and that the ship was searching for the body long with the US Coast Guard out of Puerto Rico. That we also we had to stay in aid of the search until released by the coast guard. Half moon cay was out, but key west might be an option instead.

Picture of the missing person was on the TV when I arrived back in our cabin.

Shortly after that the update followed explaining that Hal corp office along with coast guard were communicating and that they would further update us with status and possible itinerary changes.

At the Mariner Luncheon approximately noon. Another update came. Still looking foranyone that saw anything, including a person that saw something about 3:30am and would they please come forward. A coast guard helicopter and two cutters were searching the area and an AWAC plane was on its way to assist.

Back in the cabin approx. 1:00pm. Ship was at a full stop. Coast guard helicopter was circling ship.

Out at aft pool, cutter could be seen in the distance on the port (west) side.

At approximately 3:30pm the captain comes back on an announces that the individual still has not been located and that the coast guard would remain in the search. That the Eurodam would be skipping its next port Half Moon Cay and be heading directly to ft lauderdale where it would arrive at its originally scheduled time.

We later found out that he was traveling with his wife and she was the one that reported him missing at approximately 3:30am. We didn't learn about his ballcap being found until reading it in the news. One passenger on board said that he had heard that one of the staff relayed to him that there had been some type of argument, but that is purely here say.

I also heard that the FBI had boarded the ship as soon as we docked this morning.

It was truly tragic.

Edited by cruisinsince75

Thank you Don for taking the time to write that update. I'm sure we all appreciate it.

What a sad time for the wife and family of that man. If it was an argument, it must have been a huge one to make someone go overboard. I can't imagine it.

It is very sad that a couple thousand passengers were put out because of the remnants of a couple's argument, if that's indeed what happened. Unfortunately domestic problems, suicides, whatever might have been the cause, are just as common on land. But they usually don't require the services of several coast guard ships and aircraft and having a couple thousand people miss a valued port stop. If it were truly an accident, my heart would bleed. But if it were the more likely case of being intentional, I can only think how selfish that person was to do it in such a public manner.

Edited by Bearnaise

It is very sad that a couple thousand passengers were put out because of the remnants of a couple's argument, if that's indeed what happened.

The argument may not have been spousal ... perhaps with staff or crew or fellow passengers?

For me, the rub isn't so much all the passengers being put out ... it's the enormous costs (borne by taxpayers, of course) of the search and rescue/recovery.

Very sad that anyone in this world would not see life worth living any longer ... or would be so impaired as to not realize this truly would be their final act in this world.

Prayers for his family and loved ones ... hopefully they will find peace.

People who are driven to commit suicide aren't thinking clearly. They believe life isn't going to get any better and they lose all hope. In that situation, the last thing they are going to think about is how this will effect the people on the ship, the costs of rescue, the coast guard, etc. Suicide is an act of desperation and it's so sad to think that people are driven to this.

In addition to the medical questionnaire asking about recent episodes of explosive diarrhea, perhaps they should also ask about recent suicidal ideations :)

You are totally correct that a suicidal person won't consider the ramifications of his or her act. In most cases, it's the ultimate selfish act. On a cruise ship, where stepping off into the black sea is so easy and so tempting... I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often.

We just disembarked the Eurodam also; Don provided a good synopsis. I'll add the information I have:

It seems like the fall occured on Deck 10, portside - I say that because we saw the area being roped off the morning after the announcement. I overheard a lady asking the Assistant Hotel Manager if it was known exactly how the incident occured and he said that HAL did. We of course knew this information would remain confidential.

Like Don, we heard mention of fighting from several different passengers; one source stated that there was a a "fight" between Jason Rappe and another passenger over politics. I consider this speculation.

One thing I am sure about is that this is a tragedy for the passenger and his family.

I am happy to report that I never once heard anyone complaining about the passengers inconvenience. In fact, the cruise director complimented the passengers' understanding and concern.

This is the first and, I hope, the last time something like this will ever occur on any ship I sail.

And, yes, several passengers stated they saw this man drinking "quite a lot." I have no personal knowledge of this.

Marion

In addition to the medical questionnaire asking about recent episodes of explosive diarrhea, perhaps they should also ask about recent suicidal ideations :)

Yeah right, like anyone would say that they are suicidal on a medical questionnaire before boarding a cruise.