Navigator has Noro

RCL is doing the right thing. Same thing happened on the MOS before the TA and if we had noro on board, it wasn't evident. Lots of colds and coughs though. Wash and sanitize. I never caught a thing in the 16 days. Lots of healthy foods and outside air and supplements.

We were on this sailing. (Had a wonderful time.) I have to give the crew great appreciation for their rapid and quick reponse to the circumstances.

As we were preparing to depart Cozumel on Monday (Day 3), the Captain gave a complete update during his port departure announcements of what was going on. In fact, twice a day he updated us on the status of the "outbreak" and how things were progressing.

The crew responded very quickly. All self - serve items were elminated. Crew (included dancers, ice skaters, concierge, officers, maintenance, etc.) served everyone in Windjammer instead of passengers being able to serve themselves, passengers could not touch the merchandise in the promenade sales, etc. Stateroom door handles was sprayed with sanitizer approximately every 30 minutes, slot machines continuously wiped down, advised not to shake hands, etc.

Even with all the discussion and protocols in place, some passengers just did not get it. I recall seeing a passenger pick up a couple of the umbrellas used for drinks out of the holder at the Pool Bar - play with them, then put them back in the holder. I advised the bartender and he threw all of the umbrellas in the trash (what a waste, but had to be done). (Unfortunately, he did not move the holder so the passengers could not reach it.)

Was it an inconvenience - yes, but an appropriate response to contain the outbreak. Well done Captain and Crew!!!

We just came off the Majesty and they had two Purel sanitizers at each entrance to the Windjammer. They were staffed at all times and wouldn't let anyone in without getting their sanitizer.

Unless you tell them you have allergies to it. I can't use the stuff, it dries out my skin so badly and I'll break out from it. They will let people through, just most won't say no because they're too afraid to decline it.

Navigator doesn't have noro...the PASSENGERS do! Just wash hands frequently and do NOT touch your mouth, nose or eyes!!!!

I would agreebut RCL can go a long way to avoid the spread of the virus.

I can only applauld the way HAL try to minimise an outbreak of the virus, they will not allow passengers to serve themselves until 36 hours after the start of a cruise, thereby minimising what a passenger has brought onboard. This costs them in additional staff but I for one applauld their efforts to try to isolate the spread of a virus, as difficult it maybe.

Restrooms on HAL have linen handtowels which are used once, RCL have paper towels which hardly encourage good hygiene standards.

At least Holland America try, I question whether RCL wait for the stable door to be opened before they act. RCL can and should do more.

I would agreebut RCL can go a long way to avoid the spread of the virus.

I can only applauld the way HAL try to minimise an outbreak of the virus, they will not allow passengers to serve themselves until 36 hours after the start of a cruise, thereby minimising what a passenger has brought onboard. This costs them in additional staff but I for one applauld their efforts to try to isolate the spread of a virus, as difficult it maybe.

Restrooms on HAL have linen handtowels which are used once, RCL have paper towels which hardly encourage good hygiene standards.

At least Holland America try, I question whether RCL wait for the stable door to be opened before they act. RCL can and should do more.

Mickey, did you actually read any of the posts in this thread before responding? You must have skipped over this one.....:rolleyes:

We were on this sailing. (Had a wonderful time.) I have to give the crew great appreciation for their rapid and quick reponse to the circumstances.

As we were preparing to depart Cozumel on Monday (Day 3), the Captain gave a complete update during his port departure announcements of what was going on. In fact, twice a day he updated us on the status of the "outbreak" and how things were progressing.

The crew responded very quickly. All self - serve items were elminated. Crew (included dancers, ice skaters, concierge, officers, maintenance, etc.) served everyone in Windjammer instead of passengers being able to serve themselves, passengers could not touch the merchandise in the promenade sales, etc. Stateroom door handles was sprayed with sanitizer approximately every 30 minutes, slot machines continuously wiped down, advised not to shake hands, etc.

Even with all the discussion and protocols in place, some passengers just did not get it. I recall seeing a passenger pick up a couple of the umbrellas used for drinks out of the holder at the Pool Bar - play with them, then put them back in the holder. I advised the bartender and he threw all of the umbrellas in the trash (what a waste, but had to be done). (Unfortunately, he did not move the holder so the passengers could not reach it.)

Was it an inconvenience - yes, but an appropriate response to contain the outbreak. Well done Captain and Crew!!!

Very strange comments, Sunset Glow !

Exactly, RCL responded after the event, they are never proactive, understand.................

mickey, are you saying that HAL does not let PAX serve themselves for the first 36 hours into EVERY cruise? If so, then that is a VERY interesting idea. If this is not what you're saying then I don't see the difference. Can you please clarify?

wonder why there has always been such a high instance of Noro on RCL< more so than any other cruise line

I'm not sure where you are getting that info. Here's a link from the CDC showing the outbreaks each year and which cruise line/ship affected. RCI does not stand out with "high instances" at all.:cool:

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/gilist.htm

mickey, are you saying that HAL does not let PAX serve themselves for the first 36 hours into EVERY cruise? If so, then that is a VERY interesting idea. If this is not what you're saying then I don't see the difference. Can you please clarify?

Exactly, every cruise. HAL's approach is that prevention is better than cure.

I've been on many HAL cruises and they adopt the same procedure - No PAX's are allowed to serve themselves (even coffee and tea) for the first 36 hours. They believe that the virus has up to a 36 hour incubation period and is brought aboard by a few passengers.

Signing Forms at embarkation - that you have NOT been ill in the last 48hrs is idiotic, who will openly admits to being ill and jeopadise their departure. The sooner more cruise lines adopt the HAL procedure the better - at least it gives more confidence that they are trying to combat the virus.

My original point was that RCL act after the horse has bolted, albeit in an admirable way.

Exactly, every cruise. HAL's approach is that prevention is better than cure.

I've been on many HAL cruises and they adopt the same procedure - No PAX's are allowed to serve themselves (even coffee and tea) for the first 36 hours. They believe that the virus has up to a 36 hour incubation period and is brought aboard by a few passengers.

Signing Forms at embarkation - that you have NOT been ill in the last 48hrs is idiotic, who will openly admits to being ill and jeopadise their departure. The sooner more cruise lines adopt the HAL procedure the better - at least it gives more confidence that they are trying to combat the virus.

My original point was that RCL act after the horse has bolted, albeit in an admirable way.

Gotcha.:D Missunderstanding on my part. I had no idea HAL did this. I sailed HAL years ago - I doubt they did it way back then but even if they did I don't think I would remember.:rolleyes: After looking at the CDC statistics I noticed that HAL's incidents of Noro has dropped dramatically over the last few years and it could be because of this rule. By golly I think they're on to something.....

Thanks!!

After looking at the CDC statistics I noticed that HAL's incidents of Noro has dropped dramatically over the last few years and it could be because of this rule. By golly I think they're on to something.....

Thanks!!

I was unfortunate to be one of the many passengers struck down with what has been reported as Norovirus aboard Rhapsody of the Seas- Alaskan 7 day cruise 24th August out of Seattle.

RCL were never proactive during that outbreak, it took them 4 days into the cruise to realise they had a Virus aboard. They reported 137 people ill, which was far from the truth, there were at least 400 people infected. They reacted far too late on this occasion and to be honest they were a disgrace. I contracted the virus on Day 6. Many people I observed been ill in their medical centre did not complete the necessary forms due to their fear off delayed disembackation and just continued to spread the virus far and wide. It was self evident that RCL had lost control on this occasion.

RCL gave me $1400 in compensation but kept saying that it was a goodwill gesture, unfortunately $900 of it was as a Future Cruise Certificate.

I always have a pack of Antibacterial Wet-Ones on me and before I eat anything (whether in the Windjammer, in Sorrento's, whereever), I use a cloth to clean my hands. I dole them out to my kids and husband as well and honestly, I don't get any complaints from them.

I wash my hands throughout the day, but in those self-serve areas, there's no way to know if all of the people in line before you have taken appropriate precautions before they touched the same serving spoon you touch.

The Purell is a nice touch and may help with bacteria-spread, but as an earlier poster stated, it's not going to help w/ Noro.

So sorry Navigator having problems with noro. When we finally left after the TA she was okay!!! Joking apart Noro is no fun both my DH and myself had it on trip to a Tenerife hotel 2 years ago. I was really ill for 2 days but quickly recovered but DH was not so bad but took much longer to recover. The Mariner in May had a serious outbrake and almost did not get into a couple of ports such was the extent. The cruise went to Istanbul and many cruisers did not admit to suffering for fear of being confined to cabins. Found it amusing that Navigator loos all had notices on door to use paper towels to open door but nowhere on other side to bin them.

She is a great ship with a wonderful crew. Margaret D+

Stock up on probiotics stat! Look up Florastor, I never travel without it.

I asked my doctor about this. Good thing I did. Florastor is not a normal bacillus type of probiotic - it is a yeast extract. I would be extremely ill if I took this since I am highly allergic to yeast. Also, my doctor said so many people have yeast overgrowth issues anyway that this would be like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Please don't take medical advice without checking with your doctor first.

I asked my doctor about this. Good thing I did. Florastor is not a normal bacillus type of probiotic - it is a yeast extract. I would be extremely ill if I took this since I am highly allergic to yeast. Also, my doctor said so many people have yeast overgrowth issues anyway that this would be like pouring gasoline on a fire.

Please don't take medical advice without checking with your doctor first.

Yup, your doctor probably wanted to give you a prescription instead. Big pharma strikes again.

Yup, your doctor probably wanted to give you a prescription instead. Big pharma strikes again.

Wrong - no prescription. Just advice to never take Florastor due to my severe yeast allergy. It might be fine for some people, but not for me. Doc said to avoid NORO just wash your hands like crazy and try to touch as little as possible (handrails, slot buttons, elevator buttons etc).

My Doc is more concerned about why I have come home from the last 3 cruises with major upper respiratory infections that took months to get over and robbed me of my sense of smell and taste.

Wrong - no prescription. Just advice to never take Florastor due to my severe yeast allergy. It might be fine for some people, but not for me. Doc said to avoid NORO just wash your hands like crazy and try to touch as little as possible (handrails, slot buttons, elevator buttons etc).

My Doc is more concerned about why I have come home from the last 3 cruises with major upper respiratory infections that took months to get over and robbed me of my sense of smell and taste.

Agreed, hand washing, hand washing, and more hand washing.

Going on the NOS in Feb and I hope the bugs are worked out by then- in all the cruises I have been on I have seen people sick and heard about quarrantined pax, but I have never had a sick day myself. I always bring a travel size lysol spray- (spray my entire room) and carry my own hand sanitzier everywhere I go on the ship- I also avoid eating from the buffet area :eek:

Archived