Worst experience of my life!!!!

janine1030

Unfortunately, this has nothing to do with NCL per se. The company that NCL uses is the problem. They coordinate everything. Even though they changed companies, everything is run the same so I suspect since the other company had such a bad reputation, this is just the same one wrapped in a new bow. I would be surprised if she gets any money back. They say no refunds, you have to pay everything beforehand and you may not get what you asked for because of the no guarantee.

These companies that the cruise lines use are useless.

This is NOT an issue that the company uses for weddings. CUSTOMS (as in Customs and Immigration for those who are not "gettng it") changed the time they were leaving. READ THE ORIGINAL POST. The best wedding planner in the world, or even a NCL planner, could not have done anything about this.

This is NOT an issue that the company uses for weddings. CUSTOMS (as in Customs and Immigration for those who are not "gettng it") changed the time they were leaving. READ THE ORIGINAL POST. The best wedding planner in the world, or even a NCL planner, could not have done anything about this.

Oh my God. Calm down Sparky and stop yelling at me! There are way to many people in the world who are so mean and negative. Apparently being miserable in life is the ticket to acting hateful without cost.

Geraldo Rivera was at the wedding? Did you get an autograph?

This was years ago in LA for RCL Monarch of Seas. He was smiling and posing for pictures. Looked just like he did on TV. Some people don't. Poor guy was mobbed.

My father was an actor and we had all kinds of famous people over to the house, both when I lived in LA and Dallas and since he was on his own time I didn't ask.

But he was just waiting around with all of us Pax. Didn't appear to want or need any special treatment.

I just finished reading all of these postings and it is a sad and shameful comment on human nature (mostly, not all). The OP was venting because she was very disappointed in what happened to all of her planning, hopes and dreams on her wedding day. How sad that some made it about themselves; it isn't that at all. If you need some empathy please start your own post. Many will be glad to comment, supportive and non-supportive, on your own sadness.

If you know corporations at all, NCL should have been and could have been responsible for this disruption of her plans. The contracts with any outside vendor are iron clad and ALWAYS will benefit the corporation (NCL). Even though customs changed the time, NCL knew this was a possibility (it is the nature of the cruise busiiness) but gave her the 'too bad for you' attitude. She lost more than just some money, a bit of her heart was broken. I believe it meant that much to her, as it does a lot of young women. NCL is not any different than any other large corporation now, the specific customer does not really count unless you are repeatedly spending a large amount of money. I wish her the best and remember OP, 'Karma never forgets' you are owed one. :)

Unless the thread counter is wrong, the bride hasn't been back since the initial post so why is the argument continuing?

I'm very sorry that this did not work out. We adore NCL and will continue to cruise them. I can imagine the OP has a bit of a bad taste in her mouth, whether or not NCL is to blame.

I hope that you have an awesome wedding, that your money is returned promptly and you do get to cruise NCL at some point because they offer a great cruise!

We are doing a 12 yr renewal on our cruise coming up and I decided against using the new or old company that NCL uses as they both stink. My biggest issue was they would not guarantee anything. We decided to use Weddings in the Bahamas and get off the ship in Nassau.

The new or old company that NCL uses can guarantee anything because there are a lot of issues they do not control .....like the weather, customs or mechanical condition of the ship.

Keep in mind the ship may not make Nassau ...ie due to weather.....or mechanical problems.

The new or old company that NCL uses can guarantee anything because there are a lot of issues they do not control .....like the weather, customs or mechanical condition of the ship.

Keep in mind the ship may not make Nassau ...ie due to weather.....or mechanical problems.

Presume you mean CANNOT guarantee anything?

wait until your 19 yr old son suddenly dies - how's that for a worst exp ?

tired of people complaing about mudane problems ---weddings can be changed

Comments like this are so uncalled for. I realize in the day and age of divorce that "weddings can be changed" is probably as easy to some as changing underwear, but to a first-time bride, this probably IS the worst thing that has ever happened to her at this juncture. Cut her a break.

Janine1030 - this may be a blessing in disguise. My friends were married on a cruise ship (RCCL) in 2005. To say it was just one "screw up" after another is an understatement. The worst part - it took 7 months for their marriage certificate to be mailed to them. 7 months!! She couldn't change her name, get on her husband's insurance - nothing. It was truly a nightmare. I know it sounds romantic to get married on a cruise, but honestly, this probably is a blessing in disguise. On your next cruise - AFTER you're married - renew your vows if you want. It's a nice ceremony, and you don't have to worry about any legalities if anything gets messed up.

op, right now this may seem like the worst experience of you life, but years from now, it will just be another story to tell your kids or whomever.You have been through a lot in the past month or so and this added to your troubles, but you can't really blame NCL. They had no contro lover customs. Do you think they wanted to lose all that money they would have made on the cruise and the before sailing wedding. It sounds like they let you know as soon as they could. As for your money, you sill get it back. Now, relax, continue with your wedding plans and have a wonderful life. Don't let this keep you awake, there are going to a lot of bumps in the road. things happen, don't feel you have to put the blamse on anyone or anything...

IMO OP has just had it and at her breaking point. The stress of Superstorm Sandy was enough and then to add the cancellation to the scheme of things. Well, it just sent her over the edge and understandably. As things calm down, she will determine that NCL was not the monster here and it was simply a multitude of events. Here's hoping that OP is in a calmer state and the new plans are in motion and everything seems more clearer. Have a great wedding. Best of Luck!

Many of the folks that posted on here have complained for a lot less, yours truly included. You have had your share and then some, so I hope that everything works out for you with your new plans.

Your wedding day is an important day in your life but keep it in perspective as it really is only one day in a marriage. :)

My solution would be to have the wedding ceremony at the new venue, but go on the cruise for the homeymoon.

The guests who have booked for sailing, can continue with their cruise-plans also.

Same here. Even if it means wedding at the courthouse and then have a brunch reception at a restaurant and get on board the ship around 2:30pm. Then have even more of a celebration on board for those sailing.

I thought Sandy had ruined my year..My house is now gutted and I am displaced..until that is I received a call from NCL. We had planned to get married aboard the Norwegian Gem on June 1st 2013. I had everything printed in boxes labeled wedding. I had invitations, aisle runners, you name it. I even had a beach wish tree. I imprinted Norwegian Gem June 1st Janine and Rob on just about every detail..I NOW HAVE TO BUY ALL NEW STUFF.The first bump in the road came when they switched companies..They switched wedding companies and I was not contacted for months about this. Then On Thanksgiving I received an email stating that they did not want to interrupt my thanksgiving dinner but to call the next day to discuss my wedding plans. I didn't really think twice. I should have...who gets contacted on Thanksgiving. Anyways....I go shopping for black friday and then I give a call back to NCL..... I was planned to have a half hour wedding and have a two hour reception. I had chosen NCL because of the deal, the port it was leaving from, and how nice everyone had been. I then was told that since customs was leaving earlier that I would be able to have a 30 minute reception at most ...and it is possible there would be no reception.... I had 70 non sailing guests coming...30 sailing guess coming, and I was so into the crusie ship wedding and now im embarrised. I had to cancel my wedding. I could not have people come for a half hour....and with a cruiseship wedding myself and my future hubby were getting the best of both worlds. I wanted a destination...he wanted one home. It worked out perfect. I cried and I cried and I cried...until I found a place on Long Island. It is no crusie ship but it will be wonderful for our wedding here. I have yet to receive any timeline on when I will be receiving my money fro the wedding back. I was told they have to talk to the vice president. So not only was I hit by sandy, not only was my wedding canceled, but I also have no idea when I will be receiving the over 2k that I had paid towards my wedding. This is such horrible customer serivce and I feel like I was really taken advantage of. OH YEAH AND I STILL HAVE TO REBUY EVERYTHING I ALREADY PAID FOR BECAUSE THEY DECIDED TO CHANGE THE PORT TIME!!!!!

Y'know, my minister backed out of our wedding a week before "because his in-laws were coming to town." Really? He couldn't spare 30 minutes after we had done months of required counselling with him?

But guess what? My future husband's minister stepped up to the plate, and it was on his own anniversary to boot! Been married 27 years now and still smile at the memories of the minister switch up. We lost an unreliable minister and gained a gem.

Your wedding will be perfect because it is YOUR wedding. Have a land wedding and a cruise honeymoon, or a smaller cruise wedding and a larger land reception after. Don't let these losses get you down because you will look back one day and be able to say you coped well with whatever life threw at you!

Good Luck!

Comments like this are so uncalled for. I realize in the day and age of divorce that "weddings can be changed" is probably as easy to some as changing underwear, but to a first-time bride, this probably IS the worst thing that has ever happened to her at this juncture. Cut her a break.

nope

Well said.

I just finished reading all of these postings and it is a sad and shameful comment on human nature (mostly, not all). The OP was venting because she was very disappointed in what happened to all of her planning, hopes and dreams on her wedding day. How sad that some made it about themselves; it isn't that at all. If you need some empathy please start your own post. Many will be glad to comment, supportive and non-supportive, on your own sadness.

If you know corporations at all, NCL should have been and could have been responsible for this disruption of her plans. The contracts with any outside vendor are iron clad and ALWAYS will benefit the corporation (NCL). Even though customs changed the time, NCL knew this was a possibility (it is the nature of the cruise busiiness) but gave her the 'too bad for you' attitude. She lost more than just some money, a bit of her heart was broken. I believe it meant that much to her, as it does a lot of young women. NCL is not any different than any other large corporation now, the specific customer does not really count unless you are repeatedly spending a large amount of money. I wish her the best and remember OP, 'Karma never forgets' you are owed one. :)

I have read as far as here...really agree..loosing your house and wedding one is holding onto getting messed up is alot..yes there is worse..there is better too...in the scale of stress and freaking out we all tend do do a mini break with little things and amount of them more than one bigger thing...these are several big things that take a while to resolve....not compared to death of a parent or worse a child but bad..anyway..it will work out OP....just at the time it looks bleakest..I find when I 100% let go of what ever...then the next answer comes and i have to do it all the time...i am a sensitive type and just lost my mom far far earlier than

lifespans in my family and it has brought a ton of unresolved issues and deep grief..but lots of faith and rainbows of new hopes and understandings and a closer family too...may this loss move into good things for you..Sarah

op, right now this may seem like the worst experience of you life, but years from now, it will just be another story to tell your kids or whomever.You have been through a lot in the past month or so and this added to your troubles, but you can't really blame NCL. They had no contro lover customs. Do you think they wanted to lose all that money they would have made on the cruise and the before sailing wedding. It sounds like they let you know as soon as they could. As for your money, you sill get it back. Now, relax, continue with your wedding plans and have a wonderful life. Don't let this keep you awake, there are going to a lot of bumps in the road. things happen, don't feel you have to put the blamse on anyone or anything...

So agree...

My solution would be to have the wedding ceremony at the new venue, but go on the cruise for the homeymoon.

The guests who have booked for sailing, can continue with their cruise-plans also.

Me too...hope this works out OP again...

How about a colonoscopy where you weren't "completely under"? I put that right next to a carnival cruise and a holiday dinner with the "extended in-laws".

Hate to say it..but yes the first thing is awful been there..too many things like this..add up to folks not taking precautions...LOL..one is shorter but more awful..one is longer and more extended emotional torture...:o:).

Archived