Do you dress to Impress?

susie8862

Like it or not, in the real world you are judged on how you look so you'd better look appropriate. You don't have to have fancy clothes but everyone can look clean, neat, and presentable.

Yup, we're all dressed by how we look, but we all need to remember that there's a lot more to how we look than how we dress. And this thread was never about looking clean, neat, and presentable, it was about dressing to impress. I doubt you'll find anyone who is against looking clean, neat, and presentable (of course, what makes someone "presentable" will vary from person to person.......I think women are presentable without lipgloss, for instance, while others think it's an important part of being presentable).

Given two men with the same I.Q.,identical personality, habits, job, character traits, etc. would you pick the man with bad body odor and sloppy clothes who doesn't shave or the neatly groomed man with the nice ironed clothes who takes a bath every day?

Seriously?

And what would be wrong with putting on makeup and heels for your husband when he comes home if it makes him happy and you enjoy it? I bet any husband would appreciate it more than coming home to a wife looking like a frump who doesn't care.

Would someone wake me up, please? I'm having this horrible dream that I'm back in the 1950s. At any moment hubby will be home, so I'd better go put on some makeup and my heels so I can look nice while I cook dinner and clean up. :rolleyes:

Again (and for the umpteenth time), I'm not arguing with "neat and presentable". As far as what attracts me to a man, though, his looks are pretty low on my list. I'm more interested in how he thinks, how he communicates, and how he treats others.

Given two men with the same I.Q.,identical personality, habits, job, character traits, etc. would you pick the man with bad body odor and sloppy clothes who doesn't shave or the neatly groomed man with the nice ironed clothes who takes a bath every day?

Seriously?

And what would be wrong with putting on makeup and heels for your husband when he comes home if it makes him happy and you enjoy it? I bet any husband would appreciate it more than coming home to a wife looking like a frump who doesn't care.

How in the heck do you translate "I'm not arguing with neat and presentable" into "looking like a frump"?? :mad: Please stop purposely misinterpreting my comments and those of others.

Give me break; I am not talking about someone with bad body odor.

Seriously?

This is so 1950's. Most women today are working . When I was still working I spent 12 hour days in scrubs as an RN. The thought of running home and changing into heels was the farthest thing from my mind. Most men appreciate a working intelligent wife who looks nice heels or no heels & nice is not frumpy . Frankly after 12 hours I would like my husband to have my martini & dinner ready.

Neither, I'd hire the one that came in in a polo shirt that didn't look like he put looks above intelligence and smelled and looked natural (with his long hair and beard). I have never hired anyone based on their appearance and neither has my boss. In fact I have put men wearing cologne that I could smell lower on the list because I get migranes from scents like that. We interview our IT applicants in while wearing jeans and I rarely wear makeup. The people we interview respect us because our personalities show and we often get them excited about coming to work with us because they can be themselves (assuming that "themselves" means professional, intellingent, they have good soft skills and know how to do the job).

Edited by sherilyn70

And what would be wrong with putting on makeup and heels for your husband when he comes home if it makes him happy and you enjoy it?

Nothing's wrong with it since you both like it......but don't try to tell another woman what her husband would like - or what she should enjoy doing.

And I agree, you're purposly misinterpretting what other posters have said - no one said anything about being unwashed, unkempt, or stinky.

LOL..sorry for offending the fashionnistas..heaven forbid! LOLOL

Seriously I am sorry if I was "misinterpreted" (or does that mean I misspoke?). But seriously..we are all being lighthearted here and this topic isn't worth getting miffed over.

How in the heck do you translate "I'm not arguing with neat and presentable" into "looking like a frump"?? :mad: Please stop purposely misinterpreting my comments and those of others.

Give me break; I am not talking about someone with bad body odor.

Edited by Gathina

Seriously?

I'd choose the guy with the self-respect to look presentable even if he were somewhat less qualified. I wouldn't have to worry about his coworkers complaining about his hygiene, the rats nest his desk resembles, or his report landing on my desk covered in coffee stains and Cheetos fingerprints.

Your still missing the point and I'm not sure why.

Ask your husband what most men prefer..not him..MOST men..and I bet he'll say a woman who puts pride in her appearance and even wears things he likes..99% of the time.

Nothing's wrong with it since you both like it......but don't try to tell another woman what her husband would like - or what she should enjoy doing.

And I agree, you're purposly misinterpretting what other posters have said - no one said anything about being unwashed, unkempt, or stinky.

Ask your husband what most men prefer..not him..MOST men..and I bet he'll say a woman who puts pride in her appearance and even wears things he likes..99% of the time.

I absolutely understand the point that most men say that they like that. It doesn't surprise me in the least, ad it doesn't matter to me what most men say they'd like. I could probably guess what most men say they'd like (really, as a group men aren't terribly complicated).

I understand why it would matter to a woman what her man (husband, boyfriend) would like, but I don't get why would she care what a bunch of male strangers say they'd like.

Fortunately, I'm not looking for MOST men, I'm only looking for one. One that will appreciate other qualities about me than my ability to recycle gently used Chanel apparel.

I did ask my husband . He said a nice intelligent person who does not wear revealing clothing .

I did ask my husband . He said a nice intelligent person who does not wear revealing clothing .

"Revealing Clothing" is a subjective term. To some, a woman not in a burka is wearing "revealing clothing." Just saying.

I do a nice mixture. I always dress formal (long gowns) for formal night and cocktail dresses for every other night whether it is designated 'casual' or 'smart casual.' Also, unless we're doing an excursion that requires shorts or pants, I generally can be found in a sun dress. Nothing fancy, just a step up from shorts and a tee shirt. (and more comfortable too!)

The one thing I DON'T usually "dress to impress" is my feet. Sure, at night I will wear a nice pair of heels but with shorts or a sundress during the day? Flip flops or Birkenstocks! Comfort is key!

Again (and for the umpteenth time), I'm not arguing with "neat and presentable". As far as what attracts me to a man, though, his looks are pretty low on my list. I'm more interested in how he thinks, how he communicates, and how he treats others.

So in your past, you went out socially and was attracted to the ugliest guy in the room, or the one worst dressed - because you knew he had something special to say....? Really?

What will get you hired in one place of business, would disqualify you in another. It depends on the type of business and the culture. The IT culture is apparently very casual. That would not be appropirate for Wall Street, most large corporate or law Offices.

If one were applying for a job to work as a laborer for the road dept., of course one would not apply wearing a three piece suit and necktie. But one would expect, he/she would appear in a nice shirt and and clean pants or jeans.

That said, considering the state of the job market, people are starting to dress more formally because they feel like they need to "dress to impress".

PS I always wear lipstick, but can't understand why anyone wears lip gloss. It is sticky and comes off on eveything!

Would someone wake me up, please? I'm having this horrible dream that I'm back in the 1950s. At any moment hubby will be home, so I'd better go put on some makeup and my heels so I can look nice while I cook dinner and clean up. :rolleyes:

I think you all have it wrong. Aren't you supposed to great him at the door with a martini, wearing high heels and Saran Wrap?

So in your past, you went out socially and was attracted to the ugliest guy in the room, or the one worst dressed - because you knew he had something special to say....? Really?

No, that's not at all what I said.

What I am saying is that I would not discount anyone, whether they were handsome or not, dressed to impress or not, as long as they are intelligent, interesting, caring, relatively nonjudgmental, and have a good sense of humor.

(And for the umpteenth time, of course, IF he meets the basic threshold of clean, neat and appropriate -- before someone comes along and twists my words yet again.)

I had a husband who was a peacock -- very vain about his looks and particular about what he wore. In the end, he proved to be NOT what I wanted in a long-term companion through life. His self-absorption and lack of interest in others far outweighed his good looks and clothing choices.