Jewellry Shopping - Caribbean?

BillnBev

We are due to cruise next weekend from Fort Lauderdale and will be calling at the following destinations:-

Aruba

Grenada

St Lucia

Barbados

Antigua

St Maarten

Haiti

Bahamas

We will be looking to purchase some gold/jewellry, which would be the best/cheapest place to buy from and any particular store you can recommend? :D

You will see jewelry shop after jewelry shop in St. Maarten! We've made a couple purchases where, and we were pleased both times when our appraisals in the states came back at about double what we paid. Of course, you have to be willing to negotiate the price! You will be very pleased with the huge selection of "bling" in St. Maarten!

I don't think you'll find any great bargains anywhere in the Caribbean. The prices of gold and silver are sky high. I'm glad we bought what we did years ago. It is unaffordable right now. I priced a 14k Sealife necklace in Aruba that I bought for about $275 ten years or so ago. This past March it was over $2000. Bracelets I bought for about $150 are $950. If you absolutely have to have something I would get it at home from a reputable jeweler you trust.

St Maarten but really know what you want and what the price would be at home.

The challenge with Jewelry on a cruise is having the time to get the price you want. So don't start from scratch without knowing what you wanted and without having done the research at home.

Keith

I would double-like what ondeckatsea says. It used to be that there were so e good deals in the Caribbean, but they just aren't there anymore.

Be VERY careful, know what things sell for in the US before you go! Many times you'll get what you paid for per the receipt, but the price you paid was too much. There are horror stories all over about getting ripped off. What will you do if there is a problem with your purchase? Do you plan to go on another cruise to get back to the store so the can fix it?

My honest suggestion, buy your big purchases at home at a reliable store. Buy a bobble or a memento while on your cruise.

Always remember - buy beware!!!

Also, did you know that the ship's jewelry shopper - the one that steers you to certain shops, he/she gets paid on commission. D you think they've got your best interests at heart? :eek:

I highly recommend Splash in St Maarten. It won't be advertised on the ship and you have to look for it but it is down on Front Street. We've done a couple of land vacations in St Maarten and shopped there on the recommendation of friends who own property on the island. We've always come back and has the pieces appraised and been very, very pleased. I've sent friends there who have also had great experiences.

On our last trip we upgraded my engagement ring. That's how comfortable we are shopping there. They will take the time to show you whatever you are interested in and are a no pressure environment. A nice change of pace on Front Street!!!!

If you intend to buy anything...know your prices before you enter a store. If you're buying anything with gold or silver in it, know beforehand the approx. day's price of gold or if silver the same. Then when they quote you, ask they are quoting the gram price price.

Don't forget that old adage caveat emptor, and that rings especially true for buying big ticket items such as jewelry or electronics. Know your prices before you leave home, and realize that there aren't "deals" like there was years ago in the Caribbean, IMO. That said, we have purchased jewelry over the years at Ballerina Jewelry at both of their locations, in St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

The best on your itinerary is St Martin. The shops on board are also decent. Depending on what you are buying there may not be that great of a savings. The appeal is the large selection and a remembrance of the cruise.

Skip the so called buying seminars as they are a waste of time and just try to steer you to a store that pays them a fee. The guarantee isn't worth the time to fill out. Read it and analyze what it says and not what they want you to believe or read into.

We are due to cruise next weekend from Fort Lauderdale and will be calling at the following destinations:-

Aruba

Grenada

St Lucia

Barbados

Antigua

St Maarten

Haiti

Bahamas

We will be looking to purchase some gold/jewellry, which would be the best/cheapest place to buy from and any particular store you can recommend? :D

I agree; St. Martin or Aruba. Please report back on where & the store name If you found your particular jewelry piece. I too hope to add to a collection and just don't see the piece here in the states.

We have made several purchases from Trident and Shiva's (same owners, and are across the street from each other) in St. Maarten and had a very good experience. However, as other posters have mentioned, you must do your homework first and know your pricing.

I would recommend staying away from any of the Milano jewelry stores. We purchased a Tanzanite and Diamond ring March 2012 in the Cayman Islands. My beautiful ring has been returned 5 times due to the smaller diamonds falling out. As I write this the ring again is back in New York. Funny how a supervisor told us today in an email that nothing is wrong with the ring!!! I'm sure there are people that have had no issues with this company. I wish I was one of them.

in St. Maarten and Aruba. It is a family business and are always pleasant, but not pushy. I have bought several pieces in each store. I had a bracelet appraised for twice what I paid (but bought it 10 years ago). I didn't get the last pieces appraised when I returned home

I don't buy jewelry very often, usually only when on a cruise, and only one piece at a time.

That said, we have purchased jewelry over the years at Ballerina Jewelry at both of their locations, in St. Thomas and St. Maarten.
Another endorsement from our family for Ballerina. We will be visiting them at the St. Martin location in the New Year. :)

OP,

The issue I see, is your desire for "cheap", as you put it, jewelry.

I come from a family of fine jewelers and have worked in the business. I also have made quite a few purchases of jewelry in the Caribbean for 40+ years.

With the price of gold and platinum on the world market today you are not going to find cheap jewelry and if you do you should question the quality because it won't be there.

I am familiar with most of the stores mentioned in the posts and they are honest, reputable and knowledgeable dealers. Many are from the same extended family.

If you are seeking colored stones be aware that they could be "processed" or color enhanced. The inexpensive stones will more than likely fall into this category. It can happen to pricy stones too.

There are plenty of shops that sell less expensive jewelry. I hope you don't spend your time shopping, especially on St. Maarten and St. Thomas. These islands are the best known for jewelry shopping. One of my favorite shops is Goldsmithy on Antigua but it's not cheap. It's quality. Just thought I'd add another great place.

We Learys use Joe's Jewelers in St Maarten & have always been pleased when we had things appraised at home.

We bought a diamond tennis bracelet at Joe's Jewelers on our honeymoon in 1989 and were pleased when we had it appraised by an independent GIA appraiser in the States. Many years later, we brought it back to Joe's, with the receipt, and traded up. However, when you are there, be sure to negotiate. And when you think you've received the best price... continue to negotiate. We stop at Joe's every time we're in St. Maarten - sometimes to shop, sometimes to just look around and say hello. Enjoy.

Aruba

Grenada

St Lucia

Barbados

Antigua

St Maarten

Haiti

Bahamas

Why would you buy expensive jewellery in a place that is so far from home? Suppose you need repairs or the quality is not what was promised? Diamond prices are set by the diamond companies. It's a profit margin that stores give up to make them cheaper.

When we went to the Carib., I found prices to be more xpn'sve that what ws at home. There are no bargains anymore....Sorry to disappoint. If you really must buy something, I'd try pricing something like it here.

I have to agree on Sint Maarten and The Jewelry Exchange (which also incorporates Ballerina on Front Street. Always a great deal. I now prefer Sint Maarten to St. Thomas for shopping although I have also had good deals from Imperial Jewels in St. Thomas, the bonus there is Coconuts Bar right behind where you can park your man!;)

Just a question, I hope it does not come across wrong.

Not being from the u.s.a., I am wondering about pricing in the caribbean

compared to u.s.a. I have went into a few of the stores in the caribbean and when I see what you get for the prices.. I am boggled. Is it a deal for u.s.a. customers?

Just a question, I hope it does not come across wrong.

Not being from the u.s.a., I am wondering about pricing in the caribbean

compared to u.s.a. I have went into a few of the stores in the caribbean and when I see what you get for the prices.. I am boggled. Is it a deal for u.s.a. customers?

Today it is msotly the marketing, hype and their own ignorance. They are on a cruise and are presented constantly with the opportunity to buy jewelry. How many times have they walked past the same stuff in the states and justed kept on walking or not even stopped in that store? Then they hear about the stories from those that really drove a hard bargain and got the stuff dirt cheap, my sister in law being one of them becasue she can really knows how to make a deal. The advantage may be saving on sales tax but some will be lost in the duty that should be paid.

Moeny can be saved on real high end watches as the stores in the states usually don't discount them. I don't see any advantage on the cheaper brands, may save a few dollars. How much can be saved on a $100 watch? With the internet today prices have become very competitive.

Archived