Best Pizza on a Cruise Ship?

Dan Askin

The Pizza on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas is terrible at Sorentos. The crust is frozen crust with terrible sauce layered on top.

But as has been said before, getting pizza on a cruise ship is not something one does. The best pizza is always at the local "xxx host of pizza"

The Pizza on the RCCL Liberty of the Seas is terrible at Sorentos. The crust is frozen crust with terrible sauce layered on top.

But as has been said before, getting pizza on a cruise ship is not something one does. The best pizza is always at the local "xxx host of pizza"

Agreed!!! My fiancé and I tried the pizza twice because we figured the first experience had to be a mistake after reading many people on CC praise it. We both agreed both experiences were equally awful. Some of the worst pizza I've ever had, without a doubt.

I just got off the Mariner of the Seas. Pizza in Cafe Promenade this time had hardly any taste at all except for the actual pepperoni. I think RCI has changed their recipe. In the past it was OK. Not great, but at least it had some taste. Carnival has always had decent pizza, and it is available 24 hours. I'm not sure how good the pizza is at 4am -- I'm always asleep then.

PRINCESS BY FAR, I know its not NY pizza. Ny pizza is the best and i've had friends mimic me until they went to nyc and had the pizza. They were really surprised. I've been on several cruises on Princess ships and they all have a good pizza (even my Italian friends agree). So, even tho its not New York pizza, enjoy it all. Its still better than Caesars, Donimos and Pizza hut.

To be honest, the only time I eat pizza on a cruise is late at night, after a drink or two, and when I have a craving for a bedtime snack. Four different cruise lines and frankly, it all tastes the same to me.

Looking forward to trying Princess at some point though. ;)

PRINCESS BY FAR, I know its not NY pizza. Ny pizza is the best and i've had friends mimic me until they went to nyc and had the pizza. They were really surprised. I've been on several cruises on Princess ships and they all have a good pizza (even my Italian friends agree). So, even tho its not New York pizza, enjoy it all. Its still better than Caesars, Donimos and Pizza hut.

NYC has the best pizza until you've been to Chicago and tasted what pizza without a cardboard base tastes like ;)

Before our first Princess cruise, I kept reading about how good the pizza was, something to look forward to! I was so disappointed when I finally got a slice, it reminded me of frozen, reheated pizza.

However, after Sapphire went through the remodel and they added Alfredo's, we really enjoyed the pizza so much we went there one night for dinner.

I suppose it's all subjective, we tend to like what we're used to. My favorite pizza is a gourmet veggie with a white sauce from Round table. I'm not crazy for thin crust with tomato and pepperoni.

NYC has the best pizza until you've been to Chicago and tasted what pizza without a cardboard base tastes like ;)

I always thought that Chicago pizza was more like really bad lasagna.

Similar to frozen bage;s being more like really bad donuts.

Pizza on a cruise ship is like going to a gourmet Italian Restaurant and ordering a hot dog.:rolleyes:

Really? Guess we haven't cruised enough lately (only 101 days in 2012) but when it comes to the mass market cruise lines we no longer find the term "gourmet" to apply. Cut-backs across most cruise lines (Celebrity seems to be one exception) have taken cuisine to a place that we would call "good banquet" food.

Regarding pizza we think that Princess as the best pizza at sea and nobody else is even close. Would agree with the other post that the Westerdam (just got back this week) is pretty good...but not in the Princess class. Princess inherited a good pizza tradtion when they bought Sitmar Lines and have maintained the quality by using handmade dough, good sauce, and proper ovens.

Hank

Pizza on HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam last week was terrible. Like cardboard and no flavor. Can't imagine worse. Their stromboli was passable. Not like making a decent pizza is rocket science. Heck , warmed up DiGiorno would have been an improvement.

Before our first Princess cruise, I kept reading about how good the pizza was, something to look forward to! I was so disappointed when I finally got a slice, it reminded me of frozen, reheated pizza.

You obviously didn't watch them make it!! Freshly prepared, with the ingredients YOU want. Definitely not frozen, or reheated. Great pizza. Can't get the quality at home!!

Really? Guess we haven't cruised enough lately (only 101 days in 2012) but when it comes to the mass market cruise lines we no longer find the term "gourmet" to apply. Cut-backs across most cruise lines (Celebrity seems to be one exception) have taken cuisine to a place that we would call "good banquet" food.

Hank

You miss the point. First, I was not referring to dining on a cruise ship to be gourmet. Go back and read my post.

Of all the things you can choose to eat, my opinion is that the pizza would be the very last thing I would choose to eat while sailing on any RCI ship.

I would eat the paper plate it comes on before I would ever eat their pizza again.

BTW, I am impressed:rolleyes: - 101 days at sea in 2012.

You miss the point. First, I was not referring to dining on a cruise ship to be gourmet. Go back and read my post.

Of all the things you can choose to eat, my opinion is that the pizza would be the very last thing I would choose to eat while sailing on any RCI ship.

I would eat the paper plate it comes on before I would ever eat their pizza again.

BTW, I am impressed:rolleyes: - 101 days at sea in 2012.

Actually, we were so underwhelmed with the cuisine on our last two RCI cruises that we would have welcomed good pizza. The key here is "good" pizza. Some folks will drive or fly a long way to sample good pizza or unique pizza and its very popular around the world for good reason. As to 101....well that does not even equal a single world cruise :) Recently saw another post by a lady who recommended a certain cruise line based upon her experience in 2003! My only intention is to establish that my posts are based on recent experience and info. Times change. When we started cruising our first vessel was the Sunward II (held fewer passengers then a single Oasis of the Seas life boat) and the Southward......at a mighty 16,700 tons was the pride of NCL. And by the way, in those ole days there was an Italian line called Sitmar that had terrific pizza/pasta parlors on all of their ships.

Hank

You obviously didn't watch them make it!! Freshly prepared, with the ingredients YOU want. Definitely not frozen, or reheated. Great pizza. Can't get the quality at home!!

You're right, my husband went and got the slice for me. It still didn't taste very good and it reminded me of frozen, reheated pizza. There was a group of 8 of us having pizza and not a single one of us thought it was very good. Most of us left quite a bit of leftovers on the plate.

I've never had pizza on a cruise ship that I thought was any better than that, other than the pizza in Alfredo's on Sapphire. Maybe I'm just picky about pizza. At home we get a gourmet veggie pizza with a white sauce...onions, tomatoes, mushrooms and artichoke hearts from a pizza parlor. Rarely do we ever get a frozen pizza, those are just not very tasty...quick when the kids were small and I had to work until 5 or 6, but now I have no excuse.

I should imagine the best pizza will be on Costa and MSC.....or the Italian passengers will be up in arms!

Having cruised on MSC, I honestly cannot remember the pizza or even if they had a Pizzaria. The Italian Food that got my attention is the Breads and Cold Cuts with cheese. (Fresh SLICED [not grated] Parmesan Reggiano). That with the Risottos and the pastas, why would one want pizza.

• 3 weeks later...

Just got home from having sailed on two lines I had not sailed with before (RCL Oasis and Carnival) and ate copious amounts of pizza (RCL because Sorrento's was in the middle of the Promenade and so a great place to eat and people watch; Carnival because the rest of the food was inedible - no flaming from Carnival lovers - this is strictly my opinion :o). So, between, Princess, HA, RCL, and Carnival - hands down it's Princess for me. RCL was actually not a bad second. The Carnival pizzas they have already sitting out to be served were tasteless, but there were a couple of different kinds that one could have individually made - one was a Chevre that I ended up having every night before bed - yummy only because it came out piping hot, made to order. We originally came from the same country as one of the evening pizza cooks on Carnival (not going to say which ship 'cause I wouldn't want him to get into trouble), and my husband and he developed quite a strong friendship - I think he was lonely for home and talking with an ex-pat made him feel that connection to the mother country. Anyway, when it was dead in the late evenings, he would make us whatever we requested, provided he had the ingredients on hand and that we kept it hush hush. So, not sure if the pizza was good or if it was just more the company and conversation that we all provided one another...sorry that I digressed, but it's just a nice memory.

Yup, Princess still hands down the best! Can't wait to try their new sit down to-order pizzeria on Royal!

Just returned from Aegean Odyssey. They made Pizza's everynight which were yummy , but on NYE the chef made huge Aussie Pizzas with every thing that you could think of on top , for a large table of 10 hungry Australians. They were the best I've ever eaten...yum.

Far better than those italian Pizzas that have almost no toppings. We do it BIG in Australia.

Just returned from Aegean Odyssey. They made Pizza's everynight which were yummy , but on NYE the chef made huge Aussie Pizzas with every thing that you could think of on top , for a large table of 10 hungry Australians. They were the best I've ever eaten...yum.

Far better than those italian Pizzas that have almost no toppings. We do it BIG in Australia.

AUSSIE AUSSIE AUSSIE! Just had to get this out of my system. We love cruising with Aussies since they do seem to know how to have fun.

Hank

Archived