Cruise Prices Gone Up?

sylent

Has anyone else noticed that cruise prices for 2013 have gone up? I've always seen balcony prices for Fall in the $700-800 range. Right now on Carnivals website, $1,100-$1,200 seems to be the lowest price for a balcony for August thru November 2013.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Has anyone else noticed that cruise prices for 2013 have gone up? I've always seen balcony prices for Fall in the $700-800 range. Right now on Carnivals website, $1,100-$1,200 seems to be the lowest price for a balcony for August thru November 2013.

I am looking at a few cruises for next year,

and none of those have gone up. But this

is the second thread on this subject so

it looks like some cruises are going up....

Here's what I think:

They sold a BUNCH of Gift Cards and are expecting

a lot of reservations in the next couple of months!

OR

They have a BIG sale coming up. :D

I booked our Jan 2013 cruise in February of 2012. The prices have gone up and up since the day we booked!

On the day that Carnival rolled out the new categories of fares, fall fares on Pride to Grand Turk/Halfmoon Cay rose 9% to 20% above the original Early Saver obstructed balcony rate overnight. No fall fares from other lines I have been tracking out of Baltimore, Cape Liberty, and Fort Lauderdale have had any similar increases that I have noticed.

The two we have booked have gone up so far--Hawaii in Oct and Exotic Caribbean in June.

But what hasn't gone up these days? Still a bargain in today's dollars.

Has the cost of cruises gone up?

-or has the value of the money gone down?? ;)

Not a lot has changed re. the actual content of a cruise..

Wasn't Carnival doing one of their flash sales this week? Sale fares for a day or two or three? Maybe the sale ended so prices reverted to non-sale pricing?

This on top of everything that happened when Carnival went to their new pricing structure last month, of course, but that's already been well documented here...

Wasn't Carnival doing one of their flash sales this week? Sale fares for a day or two or three? Maybe the sale ended so prices reverted to non-sale pricing?

Or ... they are raising prices in anticipation of a forthcoming sale. :rolleyes:

i too have been looking online...and i believe the prices have gone up. i'll wait and if the price comes down, i'll book. if not, no worries. i'll vacation another way. probably to vegas or just take a land vacation. but would rather cruise. but i'm not just gonna give my $'s away.

Value of a dollar has gone down can't argue with that, but when you say the actual content of a cruise has not changed that is incorrect. The content would include gas, electricity, maintanence, new improvementsetc. These have definately changed. I started cruising in the '80's and the ships were kind of like barges and actually felt like one at times. these days stabilizers and other mechanical changes make it better. The cost of these improvements have gone way up--believe me , I own a business and only payroll is higher than my electric bill! I look at my statement from the '80's vs. my statements now and realize what a bargain I am getting. I don't see the same on my land vacations as my accomodations has more than tripled since then,

Everyone will have their own opinion and I respect it this is just mine.

U.S. currency you mean, right? If so, no doubt.

I believe prices on all lines go up, especially after seeing bargain prices in December trying to fill a ship. As demand rises, so do prices. People have discovered cruising as a bargain vacation while dining, ammenities, travel to other countries, entertainment etc. being at their fingertips. After the first of the year, all peices go up and up as families start to travel again.

Has prices at home stayed down? No, food, lights, utilities go up. The cost of maintaining cable for t.v., cell phones, gadgets, etc are using the family's dollars. At sea, the cruiselines have installed equipment so you can use your equipment or use theirs.

In general, pricing has gone up but it is a very confusing issue to compare pricing. If you want to select your cabin, you will pay a higher price and in some case a very high price. They have also invented several catergories of pricing (Like Super Saver, Senior, Early Saver, Past Guest, Select Plus, Cruiser 55+, Military, VIFP, State of Residency, Kitchen Sink (Just kidding!) and I qualify for them all. Then if you elect a mid, aft or forward location and a particular deck, more increases. I have to smile when I see some cruisers show price comparisons because you really need to know all the parameters that determined that price. Even the ship will make a difference. If you select the Breeze or Dream (Newer and bigger), expect to pay another premiun. Time of the year is another factor.

I had made a pricing chart just prior to the recently announced pricing table. Yes, in almost all cases, the pricing went up. Somes times considerably but there were some ships and itineraries where it was a minor increase.

So like in the case of taxes, don't expect them to remain the same or go down. Just grin and bear it and cruise any way. That's what Carnival decided and in my case, they are right.

In general, pricing has gone up but it is a very confusing issue to compare pricing. If you want to select your cabin, you will pay a higher price and in some case a very high price. They have also invented several catergories of pricing (Like Super Saver, Senior, Early Saver, Past Guest, Select Plus, Cruiser 55+, Military, VIFP, State of Residency, Kitchen Sink (Just kidding!) and I qualify for them all. Then if you elect a mid, aft or forward location and a particular deck, more increases. I have to smile when I see some cruisers show price comparisons because you really need to know all the parameters that determined that price. Even the ship will make a difference. If you select the Breeze or Dream (Newer and bigger), expect to pay another premiun. Time of the year is another factor.

I had made a pricing chart just prior to the recently announced pricing table. Yes, in almost all cases, the pricing went up. Somes times considerably but there were some ships and itineraries where it was a minor increase.

So like in the case of taxes, don't expect them to remain the same or go down. Just grin and bear it and cruise any way. That's what Carnival decided and in my case, they are right.

Excellent and Very Accurate post, richfret.

Comparative pricing is a spider web of different options. Throw in the length of time from the date of the cruise and you have even more pricing options as well.

As the economy improves (if it ever does), you'll see pricing inch up as cruising, a discretionary income choice, becomes more common again.

Edited by glrounds

For all you young cruisers and newbies, whenever price increases come up, I always post this comparison over the years from my first Carnival cruise to the last one (two weeks ago):

Carnival TROPICALE in mid 1980s - 7-day Mexican Riviera, inside or oceanview (I can't remember) $699 pp

Carnival SPLENDOR 2 weeks ago - 7-day Mexican Rivera, oceanview $669 pp

If you factor in how much more VALUABLE $699 was in the mid 80s compared to what it is to day (probably double), the price disparity becomes even greater ! ! So, you see, cruising is an ABSOLUTE STEAL today, even with the cutbacks that many of us are aware of.

• 1 year later...

I too have noticed that prices have really jumped. What used to be a $700 to $800 cabin on Royal Caribbean has more than doubled. We were looking at a cruise out of Lauderdale that was $3,500 for a Grand Suite and is now well over $5000! What is going on?

I too have noticed that prices have really jumped. What used to be a $700 to $800 cabin on Royal Caribbean has more than doubled. We were looking at a cruise out of Lauderdale that was $3,500 for a Grand Suite and is now well over $5000! What is going on?

Why ????? Would you open up a posting from Dec2012 ??????