Why no any time dining on Australia based cruises

yyjguy

I have been cruising for many years, and am of the opinion that the creation of any time dining is the single best improvement of the cruising experience. Why do the Sun, Dawn and Sea not offer this on the Australia based cruising? These ships did have this feature when based up in North America, so it is clearly not the viessel. Thanks

I have been cruising for many years, and am of the opinion that the creation of any time dining is the single best improvement of the cruising experience. Why do the Sun, Dawn and Sea not offer this on the Australia based cruising? These ships did have this feature when based up in North America, so it is clearly not the viessel. Thanks

for some strange reason they dont have anytime dining but p&o australia ships do....maybe one day they might

I was on the Sea Princess a year ago out of Sydney. It offers anytime up until it arrives in Sydney from NA but once doing roundtrip cruises in Australia it stops doing them. We did 2 different itineraries and each had over 80% Australian passengers. I asked about the anytime and was told that the Australians prefer the early time in such numbers that even if they offered anytime dinning, the dinning room would fill up quickly and no tables would be available for an hour and a half or so its becomes easier and less problems to just make everything fixed time.

I was on the Sea Princess a year ago out of Sydney. It offers anytime up until it arrives in Sydney from NA but once doing roundtrip cruises in Australia it stops doing them. We did 2 different itineraries and each had over 80% Australian passengers. I asked about the anytime and was told that the Australians prefer the early time in such numbers that even if they offered anytime dinning, the dinning room would fill up quickly and no tables would be available for an hour and a half or so its becomes easier and less problems to just make everything fixed time.

That explanation seems pretty good to me.

"Mr Green's" comment that it might have something to do with tipping doesn't make sense when the tip is already included in the fare.:D

I note that another poster said that "people from Australia rarely tip". I wouldn't agree with that. We have the tip included in the original fare we pay, and we are told that we can tip for "exceptional service". We have noticed that, even with the tips already included, most Aussie passengers tip their stewards and table waiters.

Just a thought, it may be something to do with tipping.

john

Why would you feel the need to blame everything that is different on the aussie based ships is due to the different tipping culture? In my experience on overseas ships a lot of people prefer the anytime dining so they can get away without tipping.....and no....l am not talking about the aussies either! You see it in the MDR too....many empty tables on the last night to avoid paying tips, maybe.....again, l am talking about the US ships.

Why would you feel the need to blame everything that is different on the aussie based ships is due to the different tipping culture? In my experience on overseas ships a lot of people prefer the anytime dining so they can get away without tipping.....and no....l am not talking about the aussies either! You see it in the MDR too....many empty tables on the last night to avoid paying tips' date=' maybe.....again, l am talking about the US ships.[/quote']

US passengers have tips added automatically daily to their cabin charges, so they are not avoiding tips by not eating in the MDR

Why would you feel the need to blame everything that is different on the aussie based ships is due to the different tipping culture? In my experience on overseas ships a lot of people prefer the anytime dining so they can get away without tipping.....and no....l am not talking about the aussies either! You see it in the MDR too....many empty tables on the last night to avoid paying tips' date=' maybe.....again, l am talking about the US ships.[/quote']

I am sure you are correct in your assumption to some extent but we enjoy AT Dining because we avoid all of the chit chat with the wait staff and are able to be done with dinner much faster than we would be if we chose traditional. On the last night we usually go to one of the specialty restaurants because we don't like the boring American menu in the MDR. I can have meatloaf or turkey at home anytime and often do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

US passengers have tips added automatically daily to their cabin charges, so they are not avoiding tips by not eating in the MDR

Every passenger, irrespective of their nationality have a daily service charge added to their accounts on the US Princess ships. I am talking about thanking them for their service and saying goodbye or giving them extra for wonderful service they provide. We have been on tables where couples have said they have taken off the service charge and are going to tip on the last night and then not shown up.....there seems to be many vacant seats on the last night in the MDR.

I'm not blaming anyone, or anything, I merely mentioned it as a posibility, with no intent to offend you, as you have done to me.

john

I'm not blaming anyone, or anything, I merely mentioned it as a posibility, with no intent to offend you, as you have done to me.

john

I am sorry to say, but you have still missed the point. This thread is about the Australian-based Princess ships (Sun, Dawn and Sea). Anyone booking through an Australian TA pays their tips in the original fare, so the comment that there is no anytime dining because Aussies don't tip, doesn't make sense. Whether they have traditional or anytime dining, they have already paid their tips. BTW, many tip on top of this.

As an impartial reader on Cruise Critic boards, I agree with John, "Mr. Green" that:

"Why would you feel the need to blame everything that is different on the aussie based ships is due to the different tipping culture?"

is not a helpful way to respond. Mr. Green was just offering an opinion that maybe it had something to do with tipping, and in some instances that could be correct. Perhaps he did not know that Aussie's pay tips in their original cruise fare; I did not know that. Mr. Green was trying to help.

I wish everyone could just take everyone else's comments in the way they are intended: to help, to inform, or to offer an opinion. There is never a reason to respond in a less than pleasant way. Once when I wrote something I thought was an innocent comment, someone wrote back a snarky response. It is the reason I rarely write anymore, and mostly just read on these boards. Let's all lighten up a bit - we should all be friends helping each other here on these boards.

As an impartial reader on Cruise Critic boards, I agree with John, "Mr. Green" that:

"Why would you feel the need to blame everything that is different on the aussie based ships is due to the different tipping culture?"

is not a helpful way to respond. Mr. Green was just offering an opinion that maybe it had something to do with tipping, and in some instances that could be correct. Perhaps he did not know that Aussie's pay tips in their original cruise fare; I did not know that. Mr. Green was trying to help.

I wish everyone could just take everyone else's comments in the way they are intended: to help, to inform, or to offer an opinion. There is never a reason to respond in a less than pleasant way. Once when I wrote something I thought was an innocent comment, someone wrote back a snarky response. It is the reason I rarely write anymore, and mostly just read on these boards. Let's all lighten up a bit - we should all be friends helping each other here on these boards.

You are probably right... but..... after years of reading the same type of comment from people regarding Australians and tipping it gets a bit tired. There was been widespread discussion on the boards about tipping being included in the Aussie fares and to blame the fact that the anytime dining option does not exist on the Aussie ships due to Aussies not tipping is denegrading to Aussies.

If we could (please!) leave the tipping issue alone, does anyone have any actual facts as to why there is no ATD on Aussie based ships?

I have a cruise booked on one of these ships and I refuse to do fixed dining so I really would like to know. The lack of ATD was nearly a deal-breaker but the itinerary won - I know I will manage perfectly well in the HC and alternative eateries - but it does seem a strange way to do business when all the Princess ships (except the little girls) do ATD everywhere else in the world.

I did start this thread regarding any time dining in the hopes of determining whether or not it was a short time policy, or for all sailing in the future. And, just why this policy is in place. There was not attempt to reduce the post to yet another one on the tip issue-that has been flogged to death!! Thanks to those that did have thoughts on this, and perhaps there are a few more with ideas!

This policy has been in place for at least 3 years that I am aware of. I explained the reason I was given by the Maitre'd back in post 3 so unless different Princess staff are giving different reasons it makes sense, (at least to me).

Princess uses past history to predict future demand so unless there is some kind of new pressure to change through survey feedback, the situation is unlikely to change.

This policy has been in place for at least 3 years that I am aware of. I explained the reason I was given by the Maitre'd back in post 3 so unless different Princess staff are giving different reasons it makes sense, (at least to me).

Princess uses past history to predict future demand so unless there is some kind of new pressure to change through survey feedback, the situation is unlikely to change.

the Sun Princess has been cruising in Australian waters for 5 years and its always had traditional dining and when the Dawn & Sea arrived here they have the same rules....no ATD

passengers filled in a survey but who would know the results so would the Maitre D know

............. I asked about the anytime and was told that the Australians prefer the early time in such numbers that even if they offered anytime dinning, the dinning room would fill up quickly and no tables would be available for an hour and a half or so its becomes easier and less problems to just make everything fixed time.

I was on the Dawn and asked and was told this as well. this was in Nov. 2012

Its a throwback to Australias British traditions.

Middle Australia , and NZ, are not used to modern cruising and like to stick with what they know and are assured with.

Because most Australians and NZers have no idea what ATD is , it makes it much easier on the staff as well , so thats why they push Traditional Dining Times .

If they have never experienced it...they wont miss it.

I for one am glad that Princess does not have Any Time Dining. We have sailed twice with Princess and enjoyed the experience of getting to know our waiting staff, and having them get to know us.... as we also enjoyed getting to know the other couple we shared a table with. When we sailed with Princess most of our evening meals were taken in the MDR.

Our recent cruise with P&O however was a totally different matter - we found it difficult to get a booking for the MDR, since they would only take bookings for one night in advance, we couldn't be guaranteed to get the same table, and they often didn't answer the phone if we tried to book during the afternoon. I think we ended up only eating in there two or three times in fourteen nights, the rest of the time it was either the speciality restaurants or the buffet.

Archived