Hogs on the High Seas

ticktoneer

Due to the recent news in the UK press I thought some of you might be interested to read about my experience . . .

Our first ever cruise was on the beautiful Mariner of the Seas and half of the ship had been chartered to Hogs on the High Seas. It was the WORST experience of my life. While I'm sure there are many very nice 'hogs' we got bullied and abused for a full 7 days for being gay. I can't tell you the names we were called at least once every hour if we were out and about. All from the hogs cliques. Neither of us 'looks' gay nor are camp or effeminate. I used to think - how do they know ???? We also had an incident where I went to the pool bar and 4 hogs started shouting at the bar staff to wash the glasses well so they don't catch fag disease !! There was another incident where my partner got in the solarium pool and all but one person got out. We ended up staying in our cabin nearly 24/7 for the last 3 days. We even ate room service rather than Windjammer or MDR. While disembarking and chatting to people in line we did find out a small contingent of hogs had decided to use us for 'fun' that week and due to the 'pack mentality' others followed and after a couple of days a decent sized group were looking out for us to 'make good sport'. Thankfully when we got back onboard (as it was B2B) we had an amazing, fantastic 2nd week.

WOW, thanks for the warning. I had not heard of such a cruise group and hope I never do again. While married, I would NOT want to be on a ship full of Harley rider. Oh well, hope they have fun on their next cruise, but you are correct, they should warn people about any large group like that on the ships.

Sorry you had such a horrific experience. Did you say anything to the crew? Unacceptable behavior - harrassment- could have resulted in their being put off at the next port perhaps. you shouldn't have to suffer silently.

I've been on Explorer with motorcycle groups several times without any problem. They were visible throughout the ship and involved in different activities but nothing was obnoxious nor did their behavior depend upon demeaning anyone else. I'm glad you were able to have a great time during the second part of your b2b. But please, don't suffer quietly.

That's horrendous...and you have every right to be who you are (even effeminate or camp) without suffering abuse. I can understand your fear and need to stay in your cabin...the abuse is real and so is the danger of assault. Did you try reporting folks for their behavior? Clearly, these folks did no favors to their own cause...looking like bullies and buffoons! I'm glad your second week was relaxing. Happy New Year!

I think you should have reported this to security. The bar staff should have also called security. You should also send an e-mail off to goldstein ceo of rccl about the group and how you and your partner were treated. that may wake up rccl and the staff.

I hate that this happened to you. I would not want to be on a cruise with that crowd either. With recent postings, I will certainly keep this in mind and try to avoid this crowd. There is a Rally in my city in early June. We either leave town or stay at home. I realize that not everyone who rides a motorcycle is a jerk, but the mob mentality can take over.

As a Harley rider and fellow cruiser you can't put everybody in the same group.

We have done Hogs on the High Seas before and trust me everyone was not like you described. A little background for anyone who doesn't know about this group. It was started by a husband and wife that wanted kidney dialysis patients to be able to go on cruises as this is impossible because of their treatments.

We paid more for our rooms than you did because the extra money went to the patients. We had games and raffles every day to raise money. Any chance there was to donate we did. As a matter of fact there were plenty of people that was not with the hogs that donated as well. Our cruise raised over 100,000 for these patients.

They also pay for these patients to cruise. Unless you deal with this on a daily basis you don't realize how this works. They can't just come on a cruise. All the equipment for their treatments is brought onboard as well people to take care of them. Everything is paid for them as this is a once in a lifetime event for them. They are allowed to speak at the nightly get together and their stories are heartbreaking. It's unbelievable to see your HARLEY riders sitting in the theater crying after listening to a blind man sing because he had no other way to thank everyone for his cruise.

I'm sure there were some rude people in this group as there always are anywhere you go but don't put all of us in this group. They do a lot of good for a lot of people.

I guess royal Caribbean doesn't have a problem with them. That cruise sells out very quickly as well as all of the hotels here in cape canaveral and a lot of people like to cruise when they know that this group is cruising.

I'm not trying to say that this didnt happen to you. I just wanted everyone to know what they are all about.

Hi Cindy! I would hope everyone knows that only a minority of riders are like that. But I also think that Hogs on the High Seas should consider small ship charters...only because it is a very large group, and other passengers are not forewarned, and it is probably not what they are expecting. JMO.:)

Clott, thanks for your input. I was curious about Hog on the High Seas after seeing the title of the post. You sound like a good hearted lot which makes it surprising to me that someone in your group didn't speak up. Childishness as described by the initial poster is both hurtful and mean. It's not "just a joke." It takes guts to tell our friends that what they are doing is wrong. I've done it though, it's worth it to do what's right.

While this may have happend, you cant blame a whole group of people for something happening by a couple individuals from the group.

Captain Johnny has ridden with this group...... this is him in 2008.

0806_hbkp_05_z+hogs_on_the_high_seas_rally+biker_with_cruise_ship.jpg

Sorry you had such a horrific experience. Did you say anything to the crew? Unacceptable behavior - harrassment- could have resulted in their being put off at the next port perhaps. you shouldn't have to suffer silently.

I've been on Explorer with motorcycle groups several times without any problem. They were visible throughout the ship and involved in different activities but nothing was obnoxious nor did their behavior depend upon demeaning anyone else. I'm glad you were able to have a great time during the second part of your b2b. But please, don't suffer quietly.

We have also been on the Explorer with the Hogs and they were no problem at all. The captain even rode with them. I'm sorry you had a bad time on your cruise. Hopefully this won't stop you from enjoying cruising again. They should be called pigs not hogs.

While this may have happend, you cant blame a whole group of people for something happening by a couple individuals from the group.

Captain Johnny has ridden with this group...... this is him in 2008.

0806_hbkp_05_z+hogs_on_the_high_seas_rally+biker_with_cruise_ship.jpg

Only Johnny could wear his Captian epilets and hat on a Harley. I have a few pictures of him as well, but will lay this to rest, and head to bed tonight.

Thanks for sharing that picture of him!

PS. Have you seen his new parrot??

Rick

Yes captain Johnny always liked the rally's from what everyone said. Moon beam I wasn't with this group that was being rude. Trust me I would have been the first one to speak up. I don't tolerate that from anybody. Just wanted people to know a little about the group.

There are bad people in any group. If I was the OP I would have said something to guest services or bartenders. That should never have to be tolerated anywhere.

I think you should have reported the abuse immediately to senior staff & I think you should still write to Royal & ask for some cruise compensation.

The women in the other bikers on board thread wasn't treated like you were & got a free cruise!

I think any cruise line should have to advise on booking if a large group of any kind will be onboard, so people can choose to cruise then or not.

I enjoy the niceties that come with the cruising experience & having a bunch of people onboard, that you can't get away from, that loudly enjoy the other end of the spectrum of behaviour would certainly detract from my cruise experience.:eek:

No way I would book a cruise with bikers on board.

I know many bikers may be nice enough people at heart, but they also have a reputation for a reason. Just because people are nice enough when sober, doesn't mean you would want to have them dominating every area of the ship, as what may be considered fun by them could well be offensive to others.

It would be the same issue with any large group, like having fundamentalist religious groups praying out loud at every turn, the graduating classes of 20 high schools getting smashed & being obnoxious fools on every deck, or groups of football fans having impromptu games around your deck chair.

The ships public areas should remain relatively neutral so all types of people can enjoy the space IMO & this can't happen when you let large groups of any one persuasion dominate the passenger demographic.

Hi Cindy! I would hope everyone knows that only a minority of riders are like that. But I also think that Hogs on the High Seas should consider small ship charters...only because it is a very large group, and other passengers are not forewarned, and it is probably not what they are expecting. JMO.:)

I think, instead, the people running the group should have some discussions with the participants about bullying. It is their organization that is getting bad press because of it.

From my point of view, based on what I have heard here, I would decline attending or contributing things to an organization that, while clearly does good work, also allows their participants to be cruel to others.

Rather than ignoring the problems and moving them away from people, perhaps the powers that be could work with the riders and how to behave kindly around a diverse group of people.

I mean, geez, if they can be moved to tears about the plight of the people they are working for, surely they have enough sensitivity to understand the impact of their behavior.

I think, instead, the people running the group should have some discussions with the participants about bullying. It is their organization that is getting bad press because of it.

From my point of view, based on what I have heard here, I would decline attending or contributing things to an organization that, while clearly does good work, also allows their participants to be cruel to others.

Rather than ignoring the problems and moving them away from people, perhaps the powers that be could work with the riders and how to behave kindly around a diverse group of people.

I mean, geez, if they can be moved to tears about the plight of the people they are working for, surely they have enough sensitivity to understand the impact of their behavior.

I don't think there is anyway to control the behavior of individuals. It doesn't work in society and it is not going to work for a large group on a cruise ship.

I don't think there is anyway to control the behavior of individuals. It doesn't work in society and it is not going to work for a large group on a cruise ship.

You are right, to a point, I think.

I don't have any problem with any social group I'm in saying "Look, if you associate yourself and your name with us, these are our minimal standards of behavior." That may not control the behavior, but it will make the consequences clear.

And, honestly, if they can't do that... then I go back to.... I cannot support, financially or otherwise, even charitable organizations that are behaving in an inhumane way.

Archived