Denali Restaurants

shofer

We (2 gals) are doing an "on your own" cruise tour with Princess and will spend 2 days at Princess Denali Wilderness Lodge. We will not have a car and are wondering where we will eat and how we will get there once we arrive.

I believe there is a restaurant in the Lodge but I have heard it is quite expensive. We are prepared for Alaska prices but do want to be reasonable about our meals.

Sue

For something casual we like Prospector Pizza and the Salmon Bake. They are at opposite ends of Glitter Gulch, less then 1/2 mile from each other. For a quick bite before hitting the park road we stop by and pick up a breakfast sandwich at Subway.

There's a ' strip mall ' across the street from Princess. That's where you'll find the Salmon Bake, a mini mart, cafe, and subway. Yes, the portions in Alaska are large. We often shared an order and added an extra side salad or soup.

Use your google satellite map to zoom in on the area. For an address, type milepost 238, Parks Hwy, Alaska.

There is also a restaurant inside Denali, Morino Grill.

http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/the-denali-visitor-center.htm

Shofer: "alaskawdw12" has posted an interesting review (DIY + Radiance review.....) which has a photo of the little strip mall.

We drove down from Fairbanks last fall for lunch in Denali and ended up at the Denali Princess. Hopefully they were having "end of the season" staff problems, because quite frankly, it wasn't very good. In addition to those ideas for restaurants already mentioned, the McKinley Chalet complex is also within walking distance to the Denali Princess complex. In prior years the food at the Denali Grande Hotel has generally been the best (at least in my opinion) of the Glitter Gulch hotels, but most people would find the uphill walk to be problem.

In prior years the food at the Denali Grande Hotel has generally been the best (at least in my opinion) of the Glitter Gulch hotels, but most people would find the uphill walk to be problem.

I was going to suggest the Denali Grande as well. It's a great place to have a beer and take in the view. They do have a shuttle bus that may accomodate folks having dinner there from other hotels.

Northern Aurora & Glaciers: how far is Denali Grand from Denali Bluffs? We are staying at the Denali Bluffs, but I really liked what I saw for dining on the Denali Grand site. We will have a car so we could always drive somewhere else, but if we decided to walk somewhere after a long day on a tour bus, I'd like to have some options.

Northern Aurora & Glaciers: how far is Denali Grand from Denali Bluffs? We are staying at the Denali Bluffs, but I really liked what I saw for dining on the Denali Grand site. We will have a car so we could always drive somewhere else, but if we decided to walk somewhere after a long day on a tour bus, I'd like to have some options.

olemissreb: The Denali Grande and the Denali Bluffs are very close physically, but probably a ten minute drive away from each other. From the Denali Bluffs, drive down to the Parks Hwy. and turn left (toward Anchorage). The road up to the Denali Grande is on the left just before crossing the river. There is a good photo of the Denali Grande in a review by alaskawdw12 ("DIY + Radiance ...."). The main building of Denali Grande (which houses the restaurant) is the large log structure on top of the hill (upper right) in the photo just below the photo labeled "Glitter Gulch."

Since you will have a car, also consider the restaurant named Mile 229, which is located south of Glitter Gulch at mile 229 (!!) of the Parks Hwy. They are open year round (the hotel complexes at Glitter Gulch close in September), and have the best food in the general Denali area.

olemissreb: The more I think about it, I wonder if there isn't a walking trail from the Denali Bluffs to the Denali Grande. They are both on the same side of the Parks Hwy. so a walking trail isn't out of the realm of possibility. If someone knows, I hope they will post.

Shofer: "alaskawdw12" has posted an interesting review (DIY + Radiance review.....) which has a photo of the little strip mall.

Yes, this was a great review with lots of pictures. Very helpful. Thanks for pointing it out.

Sue

We are on a cruisetour with HAL the end of May, and I hope you can tell me about places to eat near our lodge/hotel. I have just found out that the food is not included in the tour :eek: so I'm looking for reasonable options. Thanks for all your help.

We are on a cruisetour with HAL the end of May' date=' and I hope you can tell me about places to eat near our lodge/hotel. I have just found out that the food is not included in the tour :eek: so I'm looking for reasonable options. Thanks for all your help.[/quote']

Will you be staying at the McKinley Chalets while at Denali? The Chalets are in the area directly outside of the park entrance. This area is frequently called "Glitter Gulch."

olemissreb: The Denali Grande and the Denali Bluffs are very close physically, but probably a ten minute drive away from each other. From the Denali Bluffs, drive down to the Parks Hwy. and turn left (toward Anchorage). The road up to the Denali Grande is on the left just before crossing the river. There is a good photo of the Denali Grande in a review by alaskawdw12 ("DIY + Radiance ...."). The main building of Denali Grande (which houses the restaurant) is the large log structure on top of the hill (upper right) in the photo just below the photo labeled "Glitter Gulch."

Since you will have a car, also consider the restaurant named Mile 229, which is located south of Glitter Gulch at mile 229 (!!) of the Parks Hwy. They are open year round (the hotel complexes at Glitter Gulch close in September), and have the best food in the general Denali area.

I was looking at this restaurant. We will be staying at the Denali Princess Wilderness Lodge. Do you know if the Denali Taxi/Shuttle can be called to take us there and back?

We stayed at the McKinley Chalet this September. There are several restaurants within walking distance. But, we really liked the pizza at the restaurant across the street at the north end of Glitter Gulch. It looked like a little hole in the wall place from the outside. [and it was behind another store] The pizza was great. You can see the sign for it in the back of this picture. We talked with our waitress--who was getting ready to leave AK for HI. She splits her time working in the two states.

Here is a picture of the "shopping center" they call Glitter Gulch. [just one part of it]

P9080058_zpsc060d1d9.jpg

Here is the inside of one of the gift shops. [The picture is really of the 72" set of moose antlers they had on display. They were impressive]

P9080057_zps16d8cd93.jpg

There is an excellent photo of the little shopping "mall" or boardwalk area in "Glitter Gulch" in the review by alaskawdw12 titled "DIY + Radiance ...." which might be of interest.

tilly's mom: Unless someone in your party has serious mobility issues you can easily walk from the McKinley Chalets to the area referred to as "Glitter Gulch." This is actually a very compact little area of development along both sides of the Parks Hwy. The little "mall" is on the opposite side of the Parks from the Chalets, and you can easily see it from the main parking lot.

• 2 weeks later...

The Salmon Bake is very rustic and Alaskan feeling. You can walk right across the road. You can even check out the menu here.

http://www.denaliparksalmonbake.com/restaurant

I had the Crabby Grilled Cheese and I have been craving another since then (2011). I've tried making it at home and it just doesn't work. :) We were a group of 6 and everyone's food was remarkable!

McKinley Chalets have a restaurant for breakfast. It was $14.95 for the buffet breakfast. I was going to order just an egg, bacon and toast (but the server very nicely informed me it would be $15.95) so I was better off just getting what I wanted from the buffet.

There is a sandwich/mini mart inside McKinley Chalet main building also (sandwiches were like $5 each) chips, drinks, etc.

Beware of the walk from McKinley Chalet to the strip mall across the street. Remember you are at a different altitude than you might be used to. I do have mobility issues for that reason and didn't even want to attemp the walk. We started and made it to the end of the driveway, then changed our minds, staying right at McKinley Chalet for our meals.

There were two very expensive restaurants to choose from, and we certainly did not find the portions huge, as other posters have mentioned. We ordered a Caesar Salad and it came in a cereal bowl for $12.50. No way two people could have shared it. But we also paid $23 pp at Subway, for a sandwich, soup & beverage. So budget at least double what you would spend in the lower 48.

We did not purchase the meal plan, figuring we could eat cheaper, but found by the time we arrived in the towns, we were starving and went directly to the hotel restaurant for our meals anyway. That is one of the two things I would change, if I were to go again. I would stay 2 nights at each stop and I would purchase the meal plan. But that is me. We all travel differently and must make our choices accordingly.

Have a great trip and enjoy the wonders of Alaska!

Archived