Mini Suite question

sugarsnap1981

Mini- suites have a sleeper sofa in them and a full tub and shower, whereas a regular cabin has a shower-no tub and no sofa. Suites are much bigger with bigger balconies.

The only benefit I experienced in a mini is a glass of champagne welcome.:)

I was looking at this on the Star Princess. It seems there is quite a difference between a mini-suite and a suite. There are 180 mini-suites, 22-suites, 2-family suites and 1-grand suite. If all perks were extended to all mini-suites and suites alike, the cost of the mini-suites would be less affordable.

Mark

• 4 weeks later...

We were just upgrded from an AE Guar. to an AC Fwd mini on the Star on Dolphin Deck #9 for a 14 day Hawaii cruise. When selecting cabins we usually pick mid to aft deck locations. Since this will be a Spring Pacific Ocean crossing out of LA, should the fwd mini location (far fwd of fwd lifts) concern us ? We are not prone to sea sickness, but don't like to be pitched up and down all night either. Having never sailed across the Pacific, should we expect rough seas at night in April ?

I checked with my TA, but ALL Mini-Suites are SOLD OUT and ALL cabins assigned. Any suggestions, other than to keep looking for last minute cancellations. Anyone might suggest a way to improve our deck location ?

We noticed a lot of PH Suites are still available and read on this thread Princess sometimes tries to upsell them, but for how much and when, much closer to sailing I would bet ? They currently are priced more than double what we paid for our mini.

We're even considering a downgrade to a Cat BB or BC Balcony (Cat BA SOLD OUT too) on Aloha Deck #12, but those cabins are located mid-ship, and right under the Lido Pool deck or Aft under Horizon Court. (Potentially noisy location ?)

BTW - We are CC Platinum members with Princess, if that should make a difference.

Any and All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

We noticed a lot of PH Suites are still available and read on this thread Princess sometimes tries to upsell them, but for how much and when, much closer to sailing I would bet ? They currently are priced more than double what we paid for our mini.

Thank you.

We booked a BB aft facing balcony and after a couple of nice price reductions we were offered an AB mini and $50 OBC. The beginning of Jan we were asked if we'd like a full suite for $199 each - we took it - and received a Penthouse Suite. Our cruise is 23 Feb.

J & B in GA

I can't comment on sea conditions in the Pacific, but if you are concerned about it, I think I'd call my travel agent to see about an upsell before I'd go to a balcony on a 14 day cruise. The extra room in a mini is important to me for a longer cruise, and you'd really have time to enjoy a full suite.

I have seen posts that give a price of $199 for an upsell on a 7-day cruise. You probably could expect to pay twice that or more ($599-$399) for a 14-day. It wouldn't hurt to let them know you are interested.

J & B in GA

I can't comment on sea conditions in the Pacific, but if you are concerned about it, I think I'd call my travel agent to see about an upsell before I'd go to a balcony on a 14 day cruise. The extra room in a mini is important to me for a longer cruise, and you'd really have time to enjoy a full suite.

I have seen posts that give a price of $199 for an upsell on a 7-day cruise. You probably could expect to pay twice that or more ($599-$399) for a 14-day. It wouldn't hurt to let them know you are interested.

Unless Princess is anxious to unload inventory, there will be no special upsell offer, just pay the difference from what you have already booked to the current price for what you want to switch to. (Note: That is the price you booked at, not the current price of any category you were upgraded to.)

We were just upgrded from an AE Guar. to an AC Fwd mini on the Star on Dolphin Deck #9 for a 14 day Hawaii cruise. When selecting cabins we usually pick mid to aft deck locations. Since this will be a Spring Pacific Ocean crossing out of LA, should the fwd mini location (far fwd of fwd lifts) concern us ? We are not prone to sea sickness, but don't like to be pitched up and down all night either. Having never sailed across the Pacific, should we expect rough seas at night in April ?

I checked with my TA, but ALL Mini-Suites are SOLD OUT and ALL cabins assigned. Any suggestions, other than to keep looking for last minute cancellations. Anyone might suggest a way to improve our deck location ?

We're even considering a downgrade to a Cat BB or BC Balcony (Cat BA SOLD OUT too) on Aloha Deck #12, but those cabins are located mid-ship, and right under the Lido Pool deck or Aft under Horizon Court. (Potentially noisy location ?)

BTW - We are CC Platinum members with Princess, if that should make a difference.

Any and All suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

We booked an AE mini on the 3/9 Sapphire Hawaii cruise and ended up with a mid ship AA mini on Dolphin - I we thought got pretty lucky with that guarantee gamble. We booked a mini for the added room as my Mom will have a walker and small scooter and the mini lets us put all this in the room comfortably, but that is the only reason. There are no perks except the headache from the wine.

I've been told that the Pacific crossings are calmer in the Spring that the winter months so you may be ok but you will still feel more motion in the front of the ship regardless.

In my experience if the ship is sold out except for full suites, it's doubtful you would get a cheap up sell unless there is a huge demand for mini's. Since the ship is essentially sold out, that's highly unlikely. People see that it's sold out and don't pursue it any further. I would probably take a mid ship balcony than take a chance on a forward mini. But, iff you are light sleepers you may hear them moving chairs and cleaning the deck if you are right below the Lido.

Also being platinum has absolutely no influence on Princess. We have over 60 cruises on Princess and have gotten 2 or 3 upgrades at the most.;)

J & B in GA

Unless Princess is anxious to unload inventory, there will be no special upsell offer, just pay the difference from what you have already booked to the current price for what you want to switch to. (Note: That is the price you booked at, not the current price of any category you were upgraded to.)

We booked an AE mini on the 3/9 Sapphire Hawaii cruise and ended up with a mid ship AA mini on Dolphin - I we thought got pretty lucky with that guarantee gamble. We booked a mini for the added room as my Mom will have a walker and small scooter and the mini lets us put all this in the room comfortably, but that is the only reason. There are no perks except the headache from the wine.

I've been told that the Pacific crossings are calmer in the Spring that the winter months so you may be ok but you will still feel more motion in the front of the ship regardless.

In my experience if the ship is sold out except for full suites, it's doubtful you would get a cheap up sell unless there is a huge demand for mini's. Since the ship is essentially sold out, that's highly unlikely. People see that it's sold out and don't pursue it any further. I would probably take a mid ship balcony than take a chance on a forward mini. But, iff you are light sleepers you may hear them moving chairs and cleaning the deck if you are right below the Lido.

Also being platinum has absolutely no influence on Princess. We have over 60 cruises on Princess and have gotten 2 or 3 upgrades at the most.;)

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. We obviously booked the AE GTY mini to save money, but were disappointed with the outcome, but can't complain too much. Just re-checked Princess' website for mini-suite availability, and 3 Cat AB mini's just opened up, located aft to mid ship, a much more desireable location. Not sure if Princess would move me there, as this would technically be an add'l upgrade AC to AB, but it can't hurt to ask. ;) What do you think ? The price difference to purchase the AB upgrade is significant from what we originally paid for the AE GTY. I'll let you know how we fair.

Thanks again.

Archived