Calling all experienced Royal cruisers

jalee7

I would like to book a cruise for may on Oasis or Allure, but the price is not going down. Do you think if I wait closer to the sail date the price will go down? Or should I try to use a travel agent?

Travel agents have the same price as Royal. No way to tell which way prices will go.

I would like to book a cruise for may on Oasis or Allure, but the price is not going down. Do you think if I wait closer to the sail date the price will go down? Or should I try to use a travel agent?

Well if you use a TA the price will be the same as you see online. We are sailing in May and booked 8 months ago. The price has gone up. For our cabin cat alone, over 700.00. With that said, our final payment date is Feb 16th. It will be interesting to see if the price drops towards the end of Feb to book up the remaiming cabins. Supply and demand. Cabins sell and then go up in price. Dont sell and they drop the price. I dont think there is a good answer to your question....On our May 12th sailing, the prices are really up there. :)

Some years back, I called about 5 TA for price quotes and they were all the same to the penny.

We often book a year or more out. Usually, the price then is as low as it will ever get. It's dropped only a few times.

No matter what you do, be sure to hold off your final payment until a week or so from the deadline. I think you're in a better negotiating position if they don't have all your money. Sign up for the roll call. I've heard of price drops & promotions from my Roll Call buddies. Keep checking your price!

Most folks experience with Oasis and Allure is that prices go up. Early booking prices ( 1 year+) are often the cheapest, and even when (if) prices go down before sailing, it's usually still higher than this early booking prices. I booked a D1 one year out and my cousin got the same price for a an interior cabin booked at 6 mos from sailing.

I'm sure the are exceptions for certain times of year, ( hurricane season)though anecdotally, that hasn't been reported here. I'm sure there are a few unsold cabins here and there that get liquidated after final payment, but those won't offer many choices, and there may not be any on the cruise you want (or the last minute flight costs will negate any price break.)

If you are new to this you should also know that if there is a price drop before your final payment date; you can get the price of the cruise adjusted (as long as its not advertised as new bookings only) So you are only at risk of paying more for your cruise after your final payment is due

Most folks experience with Oasis and Allure is that prices go up. Early booking prices ( 1 year+) are often the cheapest, and even when (if) prices go down before sailing, it's usually still higher than this early booking prices. I booked a D1 one year out and my cousin got the same price for a an interior cabin booked at 6 mos from sailing.

I'm sure the are exceptions for certain times of year, ( hurricane season)though anecdotally, that hasn't been reported here. I'm sure there are a few unsold cabins here and there that get liquidated after final payment, but those won't offer many choices, and there may not be any on the cruise you want (or the last minute flight costs will negate any price break.)

If you are new to this you should also know that if there is a price drop before your final payment date; you can get the price of the cruise adjusted (as long as its not advertised as new bookings only) So you are only at risk of paying more for your cruise after your final payment is due

I live in florida so I wouldn't have to book a flight. But you gave very good advice. The price for the western Caribbean is cheaper then the eastern and we wanted to go to the eastern as we have been to the western a bunch.

Another consideration is that if the price goes down after final payment you can probably upgrade. Also the earlier you book the better cabin selection you can get. It does seem that as the cruise gets closer the prices tend to increase. There are notable exceptions. Last year in early June a Crown Loft Suite on Oasis popped up for a mid-August cruise for $1450 per person!!!! Lasted about 1 day then all gone. Unfortunately we couldn't go, but the next lowest for Crown Loft that I have ever seen is around $2800 per person. Anyway, if you are willing to not go on a cruise then wait and see. If you plan to go then book as early as possible because you can cancel up to final payment so you will always get any price reduction. We do work through a TA but have used her for years and she will get us any price reduction we are entitled to. As will RCCL directly.

Based on years past (which mean nothing today) the first week in may ALWAYS goes on sale.

Week 3 & 4 prob not going to happen.

We sailed Allure in May. For the first time ever we used an on-line TA and got a good deal but booked it almost 8 months out. The price just kept going up. We kept an eye out looking for an upgrade but the prices never came down.

There is no difference in price between a TA and Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean publicly announces that any TA found to be cutting prices will be banned from doing business with them.

Pick who you want to do business with, but let it be known that the policies at Royal Caribbean are such that all pricing, no matter where you purchase your cruise, will be the same.

That being said, there are agencies that are willing to put some of their commission into OBC's.

On the other hand, you have relinquished all of your rights to work directly with Royal Caribbean if you decide to work with an agency.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Oh, and one other thing. Agencies are allowed to block group space, and if you can find an agency (there are many online) that have group space, you will be entitled to the OBC that has been granted to the group...ie, the agency.

I hope this helps those that think that they can get a better deal from one source or another.

To each his/her own!!:D;)

Rick

There is no difference in price between a TA and Royal Caribbean.

Royal Caribbean publicly announces that any TA found to be cutting prices will be banned from doing business with them.

Pick who you want to do business with, but let it be known that the policies at Royal Caribbean are such that all pricing, no matter where you purchase your cruise, will be the same.

That being said, there are agencies that are willing to put some of their commission into OBC's.

On the other hand, you have relinquished all of your rights to work directly with Royal Caribbean if you decide to work with an agency.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both.

Oh, and one other thing. Agencies are allowed to block group space, and if you can find an agency (there are many online) that have group space, you will be entitled to the OBC that has been granted to the group...ie, the agency.

I hope this helps those that think that they can get a better deal from one source or another.

To each his/her own!!:D;)

Rick

The difference for me though my TA is 275 obc. :)

I'm holding out a booking for the Allure this summer in July. Historically, the prices have come back down quite a bit in the 4 weeks prior to sailing. I've recently had access to the PDF's from that time frame for the Tuesday sales. The inside cabins dropped back down to $999 per person and the outside to $1299 and balconies to $1349. This occurred two straight years at the same exact time. (this was for an Eastern itinerary on the dates of July 10, and then July 8). I'm hoping to add 2 more people in a cabin (that I would be paying for) for July 7.

Of course, airfare would be purchased way before June down to Fort Lauderdale.

Best of luck to you!

We are going on Oasis in May. I booked with an online TA back in August. They offer OBC, pre-paid gratuities and do accept my C&A balcony discounts.

Since my final payment is due in about 3 weeks, I've been watching the website for price changes. The only thing I've seen is the CL suites have dropped to about the same price -- or less -- than Grand Suites. Other than that, prices for the other cabins have literally stayed the same.

For us, cabin selection is a big deal, so we try to book early for that reason.

Good luck to you!

Ann

It depends, what time of year or sailing are you looking at? I live in south florida, close to the port, I monitor the prices alot. If you aren't planning to book when school is out, chances are the prices will be reasonable closer to sailing for either of the ships and/or if you don't care what cabin you take.

It depends, what time of year or sailing are you looking at? I live in south florida, close to the port, I monitor the prices alot. If you aren't planning to book when school is out, chances are the prices will be reasonable closer to sailing for either of the ships and/or if you don't care what cabin you take.

The op stated May. :)

Archived