Female solo travelers??

BusyBlond

Hello solo travelers!

I just finished my first solo cruise on NCL GEM; it was great! One of the 'things' I was surprised about was the cruise ship staff. Many times during my cruise I was received with 'are you alone!? with raised eyebrows, or ignored and had to go out of my way to get service'. Not that it really mattered but I am not sure why it mattered to them; that said I did usually did not get a good to great spot in the dining room. They should be told that I have spent twice as much as most to be there and probably would tip well, as a solo customer (spending twice as much to be there) I probably have the money to tip well. I am a HUGE customer service person and tip really well.

I pretty much ignored them, even though some tried to charge me more for cocktails I did not order, the passengers I met were terrific.

Just a couple of my observations; I have traveled extensively for business so I always expect good service; no reason not to get it.

Glad you enjoyed yourself but that's a real shame about the way some of the crew behaved toward you. Solo travel is a growing Market and we solos often have more disposable income to spend onboard than say a young family.

I've often had the questions about being alone, especially from Indonesians (think it's a bit weird in their culture) but they have never gone on to treat me as a second class citizen, in fact it's usually the opposite - being friendly and doing little extra things to make me feel special.

A couple of years ago I was sailing out of Charleston and stayed in a hotel near the terminal the night before the cruise. I went out to dinner and overheard a family that included a couple in their 60s and their adult children talking about being on the same cruise. We started talking, and the 60+ year old man asked me if I was going on the cruise to meet a man.

He could not believe I would willingly be cruising by myself without some ulterior motive. I assured him I was, and I saw the family several times around the ship, but I was never sure this one man believed me.

I travel alone a great deal, both for business and leisure, so am used to holidays alone. My husband hates cruising and I love it, so the only solution now our daughter is grown up is to go alone, which I'm about to do for the first time in April. I've asked for a table for 8 or more, with other solos as part of the deal, on 1st sitting; will ask to be reassigned if I am not happy with what I get. When travelling alone I enjoy chatting to people but am quite happy dining, going out or to bars alone.

These posts give me every confidence that I'll have a good time!

I travel alone a great deal, both for business and leisure, so am used to holidays alone. My husband hates cruising and I love it, so the only solution now our daughter is grown up is to go alone, which I'm about to do for the first time in April. I've asked for a table for 8 or more, with other solos as part of the deal, on 1st sitting; will ask to be reassigned if I am not happy with what I get. When travelling alone I enjoy chatting to people but am quite happy dining, going out or to bars alone.

These posts give me every confidence that I'll have a good time!

Have a great time Clodia!

Brand new to cruising, but I absolutely love it!

I just booked my very first solo for December 2013, and am very much looking forward to it. My first cruise experience was with an incompatible roommate....not a situation I intend to repeat ever again.

I do travel alone for work, but never outside the U.S. This will be different of course, but I anticipate a wonderful solo adventure!

Any women out there cruise solo? I've cruised quite a few times, 15 to be exact. I normally travel with family, mostly my Dad since my Mom passed away. I'm considering taking a solo cruise next year. Kinda want to get some input from someone that has been there. Do you enjoy cruising alone? Do you ask to be seated at a large table at dinner to meet others? any tips and feedback would be appreciated.

I will be going on my second solo cruise in about 45 days, but my first was so long ago, it almost doesn't count. I do travel solo a lot though, both for business and vacation, and in the last 5 years have spent 2 weeks traveling solo in each of Spain and Portugal. I won't say I prefer to travel solo over traveling with a good companion (or more), but I do prefer traveling solo instead of staying at home.

I find mealtimes to be the most difficult part of traveling solo, because I want to try local restaurants and enjoy good food, but don't like sitting alone in a restaurant (if I'm going to eat alone, I'd rather do it with my bare feet up and the TV on). I hope I'll have some interesting dining companions on board, as I've requested a larger table (and Crystal has a good reputation for making solo travelers comfortable).

I just booked my very first solo for December 2013, and am very much looking forward to it. My first cruise experience was with an incompatible roommate....not a situation I intend to repeat ever again.

I do travel alone for work, but never outside the U.S. This will be different of course, but I anticipate a wonderful solo adventure!

Hi....yes, I have had a cruise with an incompatible roommate....and that convinced me to think long and hard before doing it again. I have cruised with sisters, and a few friends, but never until that one time...with someone I barely knew.

I have my first completely solo booked for Oct. 20, 2013 on NCL Jewel. Can't wait! Meanwhile I am thinking about booking Epic for March or April 2014.

I am not a tag-along type person, but love the company of others if it works out. I also love some 'doing my own thing' time too.

Since retiring from teaching three years ago, now I have the time to go when I want, instead of just during school breaks. It was worth the wait.

I find mealtimes to be the most difficult part of traveling solo, because I want to try local restaurants and enjoy good food, but don't like sitting alone in a restaurant (if I'm going to eat alone, I'd rather do it with my bare feet up and the TV on). I hope I'll have some interesting dining companions on board, as I've requested a larger table (and Crystal has a good reputation for making solo travelers comfortable.

I would be interested in knowing about your land trips. Did you drive? Go by train or coach? I'm trying to decide what kind of holiday(s) I want to take in 2014, and a land trip through Provence is on my list of possibilities.

As a widow I have surprised myself in the last few years and gotten comfortable eating out alone. I have books downloaded onto my smart phone which makes it much easier to read than having a book. Plus, the phone is always with me if I made an impromptu decision to stop at a restaurant while I'm out and about.

I, too, would prefer a companion, but like others I'd rather go alone than with someone who would make me miserable. I have even heard of good friends who decided to travel together and returned home not speaking because of differences in traveling preferences.

I would be interested in knowing about your land trips. Did you drive? Go by train or coach? I'm trying to decide what kind of holiday(s) I want to take in 2014, and a land trip through Provence is on my list of possibilities.

In Portugal, I rented a car for 2 weeks.......flew to Lisbon, stayed a few days there, rented a car and drove up to the very north (near the Spanish border) where I had rented a cottage for a week, then drove back down to Lisbon where I stayed another few days before flying home. The time between leaving and arriving again in Lisbon was 2 weeks - 1 was spent in the cottage I rented and the other was spent in different cities on the way there and back. I had done some research beforehand and decided what cities I wanted to visit, and also made some changes on the way (spent an extra day in Porto, and one day less in Fatima).

In Spain, I had a different kind of trip, staying primarily in Barcelona and Madrid for a week each, making day trips by train to different cities that were a couple of hours away. (I did go out of my way for a trip to Bilbao, which is half day away by train, but I really wanted to go there, and I wish I had allotted more time.) In the cities, as I did in Lisbon and Porto, I made my way on my own by local transit and walking.

I'm very much more a DIY vacationer than a planned-tour

or -excursion vacationer, and I like spending time just wandering around a city. Sometimes I find the things I wanted to see don't interest me in person (like La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona), and other times I stumble upon something I didn't expect to find that is quite wonderful. The adventure and discovery is part of the fun for me.

In Portugal, I rented a car for 2 weeks.......flew to Lisbon, stayed a few days there, rented a car and drove up to the very north (near the Spanish border) where I had rented a cottage for a week, then drove back down to Lisbon where I stayed another few days before flying home. The time between leaving and arriving again in Lisbon was 2 weeks - 1 was spent in the cottage I rented and the other was spent in different cities on the way there and back. I had done some research beforehand and decided what cities I wanted to visit, and also made some changes on the way (spent an extra day in Porto, and one day less in Fatima).

In Spain, I had a different kind of trip, staying primarily in Barcelona and Madrid for a week each, making day trips by train to different cities that were a couple of hours away. (I did go out of my way for a trip to Bilbao, which is half day away by train, but I really wanted to go there, and I wish I had allotted more time.) In the cities, as I did in Lisbon and Porto, I made my way on my own by local transit and walking.

I'm very much more a DIY vacationer than a planned-tour

or -excursion vacationer, and I like spending time just wandering around a city. Sometimes I find the things I wanted to see don't interest me in person (like La Sagrada Familia in Barcelona), and other times I stumble upon something I didn't expect to find that is quite wonderful. The adventure and discovery is part of the fun for me.

I do my own planning, too. I now make lodging reservations before I travel, and I do a lot of research, but I decide exactly what I want to do when I get somewhere. However, I haven't gone on a land trip of any length of time on my own. I've driven around Scotland for a few days alone, and I've spent a day alone in Istanbul, but I was with others before, during or after.

I'm doing lots of research now and will make some decisions in the next few months.

I've had incompatible roommates outside of cruising (group trips) and since then have been very picky about who I share a room with. I'd rather be alone then get "stuck" with someone for a week.

I do my own planning, too. I now make lodging reservations before I travel, and I do a lot of research, but I decide exactly what I want to do when I get somewhere. However, I haven't gone on a land trip of any length of time on my own. I've driven around Scotland for a few days alone, and I've spent a day alone in Istanbul, but I was with others before, during or after.

I'm doing lots of research now and will make some decisions in the next few months.

Hi all,

I was interested in this thread and just wanted to add my two cents. My husband has MS and cannot travel. So, for the last 6 years at least I have been travelling solo. I do alot of business travel so I got accustomed to eating alone. The thing about business travel though is that you have a purpose-- business-- and you meet up eventually with people who have the same agenda.

For 3 of the last 5 years I have taken a purely vacation solo trip and have grown into it (that seems to happen alot right? you sort of grow into your new situation?)

I did a land vacation in Ireland, Rome, and Paris and previously did a 4 day pre business trip to Istanbul.

However, I love to cruise and we take a yearly Carribean cruise in January from our local port (NYC) to warm weather and enjoy crusing together.

I figured that the Epic would be perfect cause I get to go to Med cities hard to reach via train and a hassle and then either can just collapse in my room or go to dinner with fellow solos. I think their solo cabin idea is fabulous!!! Am going in July and already thinking of shore excursions.

Hoping to meet new friends and enjoy but the convenience must be worth any hassle.

happy travels

E.

E. - back in my younger days I also did a fair amount of business related traveling although it was all in the U.S. I didn't eat out alone, but I did learn to sit in an airport bar and have a drink while waiting for a flight to board. I also learned about maneuvering through airports on my own, getting into town from the airports all of that. However, I always met up with others once I was at my destination.

I am now comfortable on land or sea traveling by myself. However, I do think cruising is an excellent way for a woman who's never travelled alone to ease into it. There are table mates and and activites and hopefully an active roll call and a sense of security that I would think would be helpful.

LOVE cruising solo. I can't imagine sharing a cabin with anyone. Love having my own space and balcony. I can do what I want, when I want. I like fixed dining, second seating at a table for six. Always meet nice people. I am a huge fan of HAL and enjoy the piano bar after dinner.

I'll be going on my 3rd solo cruise in September and I can't wait.

It's not that I don't enjoy traveling with friends or family but I really enjoying traveling alone. I've been on quite a few land trips alone but cruising has now become somewhat of an addiction.

My first solo was for my birthday; I picked a short one just to see if I could handle it and I definitely could. I had a big bed to myself, a spacious cabin and the ability to make my own decisions without worrying about ruining someone else's plans. My second solo cruise was last year. It was a longer cruise and it had a lot of seniors but I didn't mind and I still enjoyed myself.

This upcoming solo cruise is something I'm really looking forward to. I booked it after I got back from my Allure cruise and have been diligently planning it ever since. I recommend every woman to travel solo at least once in her life - it's an experience that no one can take from you.

My fam will be cruising on Carnival Breeze for Thanksgiving but I will be booking a solo cruise soon for NCL Breakaway for Thanksgiving. I have traveled solo on NCL Epic twice (Thanksgiving 2010, and week after Thanksgiving 2012). As you can see I don't have a problems traveling without my fam on holidays... I luv traveling with them but.... I have fell in luv with NCL new ships (Epic & Breakaway) that cater to solos. The Breakaway will also have solo cabins.. NCL have an hour gathering set up everyday for the solos to get together to plan dinners, shows, ice bar, excursions and etc.... if you do not want do things by yourself.. It is really awesome..

Went on Carnival years ago as a solo, and was seated at a table with other solos. Had a great time, but it was not due to any activities or plans that was initiated by Carnival.. Have not been back on Carnival as solo so cannot comment on how and what is set up for solos now if anything.

I've been on several cruises by myself. I was very fortunate to have sailed with Seabourn cruise lines four times, on their small ships, which have recently been sold and will be heading over to Windstar. On Seabourn, if you are a single traveler, you receive a printed invitation on your door every day to a hosted dinner table at night. It was a wonderful way to travel.

I was on Silversea once. Nice, but no invitations to dinner, I had to fend for myself and find dinner partners, as they had no assigned seating. I really liked Seabourn's approach!

Jane

I took my first solo cruise recently--a 15-day transatlantic cruise, after a number of cruises with former husband (back before he was a "former") and/or our kids. I had a wonderful, relaxing time.

I was a bit worried beforehand that I would be bored out of my skull being alone and having all those sea days, but I really only had a couple of moments of wishing I had someone to share things with. I did my airport transfer and several shore excursions through my Cruise Critic roll call, and met people that way...and I did anytime dining and asked to share a table most nights, although a few nights I did the buffet solo.

Did you do a review of your solo 15 day transatlantic? I would like to hear more about that experience as a solo cruiser. Thanks!

I have cruised all but one of my nine crusies solo. I really enjoy being able to come and go as I please. The only thing I don't like to eating alone and so far have been really lucky to meet some very nice folks to dine with most of the time. When I am not so lucky, I will ask to be seated at a table for 10. Sometimes it good sometime not so much.

Did you do a review of your solo 15 day transatlantic? I would like to hear more about that experience as a solo cruiser. Thanks!

I didn't do a review. Intended to but got busy when I got back and then was afraid I didn't remember enough detail to make a useful review! I would be happy to answer any questions you have about my experience, though. :)

I've done two solo trips - and I LOVE traveling solo. I tend to be a solitary person, anyway, so I usually eat dinner alone, unless I'm invited to dinner at a time & place I planned on going to anyhow.

Even if I don't 'go' on excursions with people, I always meet people on excursions, and have folks to talk to/socialize with.

Neither ship that I've been on has been exceptionally huge, so those people that I meet out and about - and the folks from my roll call - are people I tend to run into on a regular basis on board.

I find traveling solo to be PERFECT for me. I'm going on my first non-solo cruise in November - taking my mom, who I really like vacationing with - but I have a niggling suspicion that I'll prefer the solo cruise in the end.

I've done more than 30 solo cruises, and it's the perfect way to travel to places that you probably wouldn't travel to alone on a land vacation. I've been to Vietnam, Africa, Sri Lanka, India, Dubai, and many other places that might not be the easiest, or safest to travel to, alone, via a land trip.

I just booked my first solo cruise on RCI Grandeur of the Seas October 11, 2013. Been thinking about solo cruising or a long time and I finally will do it. No more staying at home thinking about cruising.

Good for you! I did the same thing. This will be my second cruise and my first solo cruise.

Archived