Friend Can't go.....What to do?

maroyalt

There are four of us (myself, DW, and our 2 friends) booked on the Carnival Dream for the February 16, 2013 sailing in two rooms (2 people per room). One of our friends just informed us she can't go anymore (she doesn't have trip insurance). I have two questions:

1. Should we inform the cruise line of her cancellation or just have her be a no show at the pier? The reason I ask is I heard there are extra charges when sailing solo.

2. If we don't inform the cruiseline of her cancellation will the single passanger still be permitted to board? They have already completed their online check-in and both names show up on the boarding pass.

Thanks for any advice!

There are four of us (myself, DW, and our 2 friends) booked on the Carnival Dream for the February 16, 2013 sailing in two rooms (2 people per room). One of our friends just informed us she can't go anymore (she doesn't have trip insurance). I have two questions:

1. Should we inform the cruise line of her cancellation or just have her be a no show at the pier? The reason I ask is I heard there are extra charges when sailing solo.

2. If we don't inform the cruiseline of her cancellation will the single passanger still be permitted to board? They have already completed their online check-in and both names show up on the boarding pass.

Thanks for any advice!

I would just have her be a no show.

Thanks for any advice!

That is my understanding also. Just dont tell them she isnt coming when you get to the pier. Say you expect her later that day.

Since its so close, I guess it can be no show. She has already paid for the cruise anyways. The only issue is when it comes to the tipping of the room for the room steward. The other person in the room may get charge for her tips. As the room steward is still going to be cleaning the whole room.

Since its so close, I guess it can be no show. She has already paid for the cruise anyways. The only issue is when it comes to the tipping of the room for the room steward. The other person in the room may get charge for her tips. As the room steward is still going to be cleaning the whole room.

They will only chage for one person for tips

There are no extra charges what happens is a solo traveller will pay double the rate but only taxes for one person, I call the cruise line and explain things and perhaps they adjust the bill and take off her taxes/fees worst case you pay it.

There might be charges depending on how they booked.

Since you are this close the best thing would be no show.

No show would not be charged for tips; taxes/port fees would be refunded; cruise fare will be lost.

Just the other fare is a full loss to the person not going. If the other person thinks they'll get their money back if she cancels at this point, it won't happen. Just hope the other person realizes the fare is lost by forfeit and also by cancellation, so she might as well leave it there. She'll still get taxes and fees back.

If per chance, the other cancels, it leaves the remaining cruiser in a bind.....pay double or give up her fare too.

Just the other fare is a full loss to the person not going. If the other person thinks they'll get their money back if she cancels at this point, it won't happen. Just hope the other person realizes the fare is lost by forfeit and also by cancellation, so she might as well leave it there. She'll still get taxes and fees back.

I read it that one person can't go but the other PAX is still going.

Thanks for any advice!

Call.

One time I got a refund for a third pax cancellation, and another time I got a credit. Expect nothing and hope for something.

Or does that friend have someone they want to take if they are elligibale for a name change?

Call.

One time I got a refund for a third pax cancellation, and another time I got a credit. Expect nothing and hope for something.

Or does that friend have someone they want to take if they are elligibale for a name change?

But if they call and do get a refund that leaves the other passage who is going to pay the full fare then.

But if they call and do get a refund that leaves the other passage who is going to pay the full fare then.

I didn't. My DD had an adjoining balcony room all to herself. No one dared ask a 6 year old for a dime.

Call.

the other one won't get a refund this close to sailing. If she does, it will be tiny.

if you look I was replying to Mr.Pete who said to phone because they did get a refund. And my comment was if they did refund the money then the passager who was going might be charged the full price.

This happened to us on a group cruise..

Balcony cabin was booked with 3 persons.

2 persons did not go because of a serious medical issue that came up a few days before the cruise. They did notify Carnival that they would not be boarding and they did receive a refund of port fees and taxes. The 3rd person owed nothing more.

If you are not booked early saver you can try to find someone to take her place and pay for a name change. If you are booked Early Saver she is Out of Luck and will only get back the port & taxes.

We had this problem two weeks ago. We had four people not come and they no-showed. When asked at the pier we told them that wxyz people were on their way. When we called to inquire about cancelling our PVP told us to no-show because there was no way to get a refund and the solo surcharge would have kicked in. We were only charged the tips for the people who came and the taxes were just returned to our credit card last week.

Thanks for any advice!

Definitely 'no show'.

However, does the person now going single have a friend/buddy that they may wish to bring along ?

If you are booked using Early Saver, then the above scenario would not be possible, however if you booked using past guest or any others, a name change is possible for a charge ($50.00 I think).

Best of luck, and have a great cruise !

FWIW, this is what happened on my last cruise booking, but not with Carnival:

Cabin booked for two, final payment made, insured but not thru cruise line.

One person cancelled 7 days before cruise, 2nd person still travelling.

No solo-supplement for the remaining person. Cruise line has the fare for 2 people and are not refunding the fare, but they did refund most of the fees and taxes to the person who cancelled, but not all. (e.g. taxes/fees were approx $200 pp and refund was $160)

New invoice showed one person travelling at a rate of double the original fare. No money was due to the cruise line, they already had it.

Person who cancelled made claim through insurance and received refund.

Just to make it more complicated, on sailaway day, 2nd person had to cancel before boarding and was refunded the remaining taxes and fees (about $240) from the cruise line, and claimed and received the cruise fare (for one person) from insurance.

Must say the insurance claims were complicated, total 4 separate claims made due to different types of coverage, but that's a whole other story :(

• 4 weeks later...

Let the friend's parent deal with the extra costs of canceling if you paid for the friend. Whats the reason this friend can't go. If they had any doubts about the friend going why didn't they fork over the $50-$100 dollars for insurance. Possibly the credit card insurance would recoup the money.

I hate to say but if you invited a person and they cancelled and you'r out money the least you can ask of them is to pay you for any lost finances.

Archived