Middle Aged Drama Queen Goes BIG: Solo & Last Minute on the ALLURE!!!

KansCocoa

I'm glad you got a picture of my horrible zipline landing! Sigh. it didn't hurt, but was horribly awkward. In my defense I was given NO instructions whatsoever, other than "Do you see the landing area?"

That is scary! I am so :rolleyes: not physically coordinated (except for my drunken dancing which, frankly, should not be missed...or is that remembered? Hmm....) I have taken a header over a segway, fallen down Dunns River falls...okay, only a few freakin rocks but hey, you get the idea! I thought I could do the zipline on Allure....oh, NITFLT.......emphasis on the F. "Not in this fabulous lifetime", except change fabulous for the eff word.....Scary, but aren't you glad you did it??? Or NOT???!!!

Edited by alwayshappytocruise

Sherri,

I must tell you a few things. First, I absolutely LOVED your Serenade review with your family from last summer. I mean, LOVED it. So much so that I sent the link to someone I have sailing on Serenade this July for a 12 night cruise with her husband and daughter (16th birthday celebration). And I told her to read it and use it as a guide for excursions while on the cruise. And to use your information to book. And to not book through me. I am her agent. And I sent her to your review for booking information. Because that's how much I LOVED your review.

Second, thank you for all of this detailed information about Allure. I am hoping to book it while on Explorer in March for our Spring break 2014 for me, my mom and my 2 Klingons. And the information showing the schedule of outdoor activities at the Aqua Theater is beyond helpful. I was planning on booking 2 Boardwalk view balcony cabins waaaay at the end of the row to get the best view of water, Aqua Theater and ship, and seeing the schedule of events and the times (late) that some run will be most helpful in deciding if I want to do that. My Klingons, at that time, will be 16 (OMG, and he just turned 15 TODAY) and 11.5 so noise running a bit later might not be so much of an issue, but it may be for my mom, so this gives me great information to go on when planning.

Again, thank you, thank you, thank you for your absolutely wonderful trip reports. I must go online at home and try to find your blog as I cannot access that sort of stuff here at work (shh, don't tell anyone what I'm doing LOL!).

Looking forward to your next installment.

That is scary! I am so :rolleyes: not physically coordinated (except for my drunken dancing which, frankly, should not be missed...or is that remembered? Hmm....) I have taken a header over a segway, fallen down Dunns River falls...okay, only a few freakin rocks but hey, you get the idea! I thought I could do the zipline on Allure....oh, NITFLT.......emphasis on the F. "Not in this fabulous lifetime", except change fabulous for the eff word.....Scary, but aren't you glad you did it??? Or NOT???!!!

I'm glad I did it, for sure! As the kids are saying these days "YOLO" ( you only live once)

It really was not bad, didn't hurt, and was over in the blink of an eye.

The worst thing about it were the unflattering photos taken of me by Sherri and my parents! :)

(We begged, cajoled, and otherwise bribed Sherri to do it, but alas... she would not)

Edited by Steppy08

However, I DID manage to snag an INCREDIBLE photo of the amazing carpet in the Lounge (don't laugh; I thought it was cool. For some reason, it evoked memories of Van Gogh's "Starry Night"...anyone else get that vibe? Or is it just me??!!)

VikingCrown2_zpsd350732e.jpg

We thought that same thing too when we were exploring!

Loving your review. I'm only on page 3 but it's already lots of fun to read!

Sherri,

once again I am wonderfully entertained by your marvellous review/tour.

We wanted to sail on the Allure, but work and school commitments only left us able to go in the middle of the hurricane season - and we were too fearful! :eek:

You are giving my family a true insight into the ship and the sheer enormity of it all!

Loving the pictures, even if they are with a phone!

Wish your foot better and I cannot wait for the next instalment. I shall sit down with a nice cup of tea and sit with a huge grin on my face.....:D

Thanks so much

Lisa

Vintages is cozy…instead of traditional dining tables, it gives the feel of someone’s living room…sofas, couches, pillows…and coffee tables…an intimate dining experience for friends or couples alike.

This is NOT a free dining venue – you will pay based on what you order – but it was very affordable. Some plates were only $2.00. I’ll do a further review of this later, including photos of the food, as we had lunch here on Day 6.

On sea days, Vintages would open at noon for lunch...and most evenings, it would be open until 1:00 am for late night dining.

----I am like you a researchaholic,. I've been researching our 5/19 Allure cruise for at least 5 months and still learning things. Thanks to you I learned that Vantages serves food. Hopefully you'll post an menu.

The little spigot/sippy thingy on my cup was a pain to deal with. It would automatically close every time I tipped my cup back to drink - so I'd have to hold it open with one finger and drink...it was awkward to do and awkward to watch. I tried to put a straw in, but the cups are too tall and my straw drowned in the depths of the cup, never to be seen again.

Anyway...there's the lesson of the day on the Freestyle Coke Machines.

And now I need to go pour me a fresh one. :)

[/color][/size][/font]

Note to self: pack Starbucks Venti straws :D

Loving every minute of your report, more please :)

Sherri,

Always a great time reading your adventures. I haven't had time to finish my own review (that one, from summer :o ) because I keep checking if you posted more :rolleyes:

Funny to see you talk about creativity with names...I was going to comment about that yesterday and then today they announce the new ships' names. Good thing they chose Quantum and Anthem (I'm getting used to them) I just wouldn't accept the trademark they requested for OVATION OF THE SEAS....REALLY!? I can't deal with it; I don't know if it's cultural or something but it reminds me of egg, ovary, I don't know!! Can you imagine saying "Our wonderful cruise onboard the OVATION" or "I'm boarding the OVATION tomorrow" ? :eek: Again, funny it came to my head yesterday as I read your review and today they chose them :D

I am so happy that RCI sent out the email today with the announcement on the names of the new ships, otherwise I would not have searched cruise critic and found that you have taken a last-minute cruise. I was so excited when I saw the title of your thread. We love reading about your travels (your experience helped us with our Med cruise last year) and look forward to the rest of your Allure review.

Thanks for sharing (again!).

I love your review. It brings back wonderful memories of the cruise we took on the Allure's sister ship Oasis. It was 8 of us!! DH and I both said "we will never get on anything that big, just to damn big. We had the time of our lives...yes we did!!!

Your review is awesome. I also read your Mediterranean review, we will be going on that cruise next year. Your review is helping me do a lot of planning. God Bless you girl :)

Menyone

CokeMachine3_zpsd2bc284e.jpg

You know what I think is annoying?

Why can't they group ALL the drinks together?

Like Sprite/Sprite Zero, Mello Yello/Mello Yello Zero, Fanta/Fanta Zero etc.

And put them in straight lines....it looks so wonky !

Edited by kingsgirl

Now that you pointed it out I'm starting to twitch a little that they are not straight!!

Believe it or not, its to stop confusion. If they put them together it can be easy to press the wrong button. Someone with an allergy might not be so amused.

You look for the drink and push. Next time you use it, you know where the button is.

Although, I do agree with you

Alex

Edited by bigeck

It is easier than you think, trust me! The designers knew what they were doing when they built this ship - there are little bridges/hallways etc that get you across the canyons. The first day onboard may trip you up once or twice - but by the second day, you'll be running all over the ship with nary a thought as to getting lost or figuring out how to navigate - it will be second nature. :)

The only time I went up the stairs - for any length of time - was 6 flights up, immediately after Muster Drill. Yikes. I'll be talking about that later.... ;)

Well said, Though you may have missed a lot of interesting art. I would take the stairs a lot and make a point to take different stairs just to see the art. I will add with just a little thought you can navigate the ship avoiding crowded areas. Yes its possible to spend a week on this ship and not feel crowded.

It must be somewhat customizable by the owner of the machine. The movie theater I go to has a much more logical arrangement of the flavor groupings. And they are all in straight lines.

Well said, Though you may have missed a lot of interesting art. I would take the stairs a lot and make a point to take different stairs just to see the art. I will add with just a little thought you can navigate the ship avoiding crowded areas. Yes its possible to spend a week on this ship and not feel crowded.

Actually for the most part the ship only felt crowded on day one, after that it felt pretty good. The only thing we had trouble with were the elevators, they really should of added more or at least apply a different software algorithm.

Actually for the most part the ship only felt crowded on day one, after that it felt pretty good. The only thing we had trouble with were the elevators, they really should of added more or at least apply a different software algorithm.

Part of my exercise program for our upcoming FOS cruise is to never use the elevator - stairs only. That will (hopefully) at least partially offset all those free cookies!

Am I crazy for wanting to do this on Allure? Probably....

My parents do this on The Allure. We tried last March but I was recovering from a December ACL surgery so sometimes had to give in and take the elevator. An exception to my parents "no elevator" rule is always formal nights. They'd rather not hike in heels and suits.