Your Favorite Holland America Moment

respondeat.cruiser

Sometimes it's true that topics and posters on this board can turn negative quickly. And sometimes it's true that posters here can be overly harsh towards HAL, and each other. So let's change that dynamic.

What's your favorite Holland America moment?

Mine was on a sea day en route from Hamilton to New York this summer. I was sitting by the midship pool, enjoying my friend's latest book. The Veendam sailed in and out of tiny storms, and the magrodome operator was up to the challenge. He brought the ceiling panels together before we were under the clouds, and opened them again when the sky cleared.

I spent the whole partly-cloudy day up on the Lido Deck and never once felt a rain drop. Though I often got wet by hopping into the turbulent pool.

And that's my favorite Holland America moment. What's yours?

My favorite moment:

Fall, 2002; Standing on the open deck at the bow on Deck 6 aboard M. S. Volendam; Sailaway time from Vancouver on the Volendam's first Asia Pacific Cruise, watching the lines being taken in and realizing that I am embarking on, at that time to date, my longest cruise. And, at the same time, meeting two very pleasant ladies with whom I became friends throughout the cruise and for some time afterwards.

I can still hear the Volendam's horn blowing as we backed into Vancouver's harbor and watching some of the Spa ladies excitingly waving and calling out to friends alongside at Canada Place.

And, then meeting some truly wonderful people who were part of the Cruise Critic Roll Call for that cruise, several of whom are people with whom I have sailed since and remain in touch!

A truly memorable voyage with a truly memorable Captain--Peter Harris--and truly memorable Cruise Director--Gary Walker.

Cruise to Alaska... First nite out of Seattle went out onto the Balcony in my HAL bathrobe (barefoot) The View: full moon, tons of stars, it's 2am and the water is like a glass mirror and directly below me at 3 whales cruising with the ship ... Whoosh whoosh whoosh and directly in front of them are 3 dolphins leading the way!

It was our first Holland America cruise and this vision I had that night was magical, I will never forget that nite.

Magical!

On March 8th 2008 we flew from Atlanta to San Diego for the Mexican Riviera cruise. Well, it snowed the morning of our flight. De-icing was necessary at Hartsfield before the flight. We felt we had plenty of time for the flight as deparure was at 5:00 Pacific time. We then had 2 delays and had to deplane twice with the last problem with the landing gear. Finally our plane departed. We contacted HAL, and also communicated with the pilot during the flight. As we approched San Diego it was 4:30 at touchdown. We knew we had missed the cruise. Our flight was not arranged through HAL. To our surprise as we rushed to get our luggage, there waiting at ground transportation were HAL officials with signs with our names. They transported us to the ship and the gangway was lowered allowing us and 2 other couples to board at 4:55. We felt this was such a gracious accomodation by HAL. Now we fly the day before if it is a long flight. This is why my wife now says Holland America is her favorite cruiseline. Our next is scheduled for 3/9/13.

Oosterdam 2011: Standing on the balcony in Glacier Bay approaching Marjorie Glacier at about one knot. Hundreds of small icebergs dot the surface, gray overcast sky, no wind, dead silence ... except for the ice thunder. (The sound the glacier makes as hundreds of square miles of ice crack under pressure.)

It was completely awesome!

I have three: the first on the Eurodam's inaugural year Canada/New England repositioning cruise and we were at lifeboat drill and it was snowing on us -- light flakes and it didn't stick around, but it was snow.

And the second was on the Rotterdam on a special Canada/New England Itinerary with a stop in St. John's. We were there at the beginning of June and it was snowing when we pulled into port, and as we left St. John's harbour we sailed past no less than 5 icebergs. Our cabins were in the lowest deck and our windows had a great view of the icebergs as we passed. It was incredible to be getting ready for dinner with striped icebergs our the windows.

On that same Rotterdam cruise, we stopped in St. Pierre et Miquelon and when we left a good portion of the town came to see the ship off. The ship would blow its horn and the townspeople would respond by blowing their car horns. It was such a unique and special experience; and certainly the best sail-away I've ever had.

On a B2B Ryndam cruise in 1997 celebrating our 25th anniversary.

We were in Barbados (we took a helicopter flight over the island) that day and renewed our wedding vows in the evening in the Explorer's Lounge with Captain Jack van Coevorden

We shared our dining table with 6 wonderful fellow passengers - there was no open dining in those days.

Of all the cruises we have done that is the one I remember best.

Definitely Alaska in Glacier Bay. It was an absolutely gorgeous day without a cloud in the sky. It seemed like a magic winter wonderland out there. I passed one of the ship's officers in the hallway and he said that the day was so beautiful that someone on board "must be in good with the Lord". We watched the glaciers calving from our balcony in our stateroom and it was the most glorious day we have ever had on a cruise ship. I think about that day often, and just how wonderous and beautiful nature and our world around us truly is.

i used to LOVE coming back to my cabin after dinner. turning the lights down. sitting in my window, looking down at the sea churning. thinking deep thoughts about the inevitability of life and death. having a double scotch on the rocks, and SMOKING. and then just sliding down into a great bed. all gone now. BUT, just but, maybe e cigs will bring this back again.

dr. dawg,

You've been so disgruntled about your upcoming cruise, I sincerely hope you find the joy and peace and pleasure you always seemed to have gotten from HAL ships in the past. I truly hope your next cruise is the best you've ever enjoyed. :)

thank you, sail, though methinks there is a tinge of salt in your reply. but at any rate, you are the one on these threads that i do like and trust. i hope you are serious. i learned during my five years at seminary in weston, and some years earlier at a high school in westport, ct, that new englanders, like southerners, have a 'way' of saying things. and, actually, i like that.

dr. dawg,

You've been so disgruntled about your upcoming cruise, I sincerely hope you find the joy and peace and pleasure you always seemed to have gotten from HAL ships in the past. I truly hope your next cruise is the best you've ever enjoyed. :)

thank you, sail, though methinks there is a tinge of salt in your reply. but at any rate, you are the one on these threads that i do like and trust. i hope you are serious. i learned during my five years at seminary in weston, and some years earlier at a high school in westport, ct, that new englanders, like southerners, have a 'way' of saying things. and, actually, i like that.

I do not know any method of assuring you of my genuine good wishes for you other than to simply state them. I truly hope your next cruise is the best you've ever enjoyed.

There is no salt intended anywhere in any of my statement.

Have a great cruise.

MS Statendam cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale, Nov. 1995. It had taken two years of gentle and then very persistent nagging to get my DH to take a cruise. Standing on the Lido deck at the aft rail on the morning of our first at sea day. Clear blue sky, sunshine, calm sea. He turned to me and said, "You know, the next time we do this....." We enjoyed 8 more cruises together and I have such wonderful memories of them all.

Archived