Your Favorite Holland America Moment

respondeat.cruiser

i used to LOVE coming back to my cabin after dinner. turning the lights down. sitting in my window, looking down at the sea churning. thinking deep thoughts about the inevitability of life and death. having a double scotch on the rocks, and SMOKING. and then just sliding down into a great bed. all gone now. BUT, just but, maybe e cigs will bring this back again.

If you are just exploring e-cigs start at the following:

http://www.e-cigarette-forum.com/forum/

Read the forum rules 1st, the go to the "New Members Forum".

I've been using an Ego type device for well over two years now. Not completely off cigarettes but down from about 30/day to about 3/day. Good Luck!

Everything about my 1977 cruise on the Rotterdam, I had just been on one cruise before that and that ship was nothing special. But everything about Rotterdam was so nice, all the bars/restaurants/ show rooms etc etc. The current Hal ships are nice but Rotterdam was truly a great flag ship ( have cruised every year since)

On the Noordam's inaugural cruise. Going up to the promenade deck and seeing so many of the crew looking at the Statue of Liberty with tears in their eyes. The fireboats were nice too!

Looking forward to "some day" sailing into or out of New York to experience the Statue of Liberty from that perspective. After doing a fair amount of work on genealogy, it will be a moving experience to try to envision what it must have been like for our ancestors.....

I enjoy the fact that as we cruise more and more on HAL, I have had the opportunity to sail with some of the wonderful people I have met on Cruise Critic. Some have turned into real life friends that we stay in contact with.

The only sad part is we all live so far apart.

You are never alone on a cruise if you belong to CC. There will always be some people that you really click with.

i used to LOVE coming back to my cabin after dinner. turning the lights down. sitting in my window, looking down at the sea churning. thinking deep thoughts about the inevitability of life and death. having a double scotch on the rocks, and SMOKING. and then just sliding down into a great bed. all gone now. BUT, just but, maybe e cigs will bring this back again.

Well look at the up side. The rest of us enjoy evening bliss at sea secure in the knowledge that at worst, your e cig will start an e fire that we can e extinguish with an e off switch, or by ignoring it completely.

Smooth sailing...

I enjoy the fact that as we cruise more and more on HAL, I have had the opportunity to sail with some of the wonderful people I have met on Cruise Critic. Some have turned into real life friends that we stay in contact with.

You are never alone on a cruise if you belong to CC. There will always be some people that you really click with.

I feel the same way:).

I would like to think our favourite Holland America moment is yet to come. Looking back on cruises it is very difficult to sort out the best experiences hierarchically. In fact, maybe the best Holland America moment is really the anticipation of the adventure to come.

I agree, you do meet many fine people. Also prigs. Fortunately, the former greatly outnumber the latter, and you need both to make a world.

Smooth sailing...

How true Sapper1, I am so glad I discovered this website a few years ago before we went to Alaska (1st time on HAL). I had questions back then (and still do) that were so kindly answered by the good folks on this site. So many of you are generous with your time and experience to enlighten others who need a few things answered. That is wonderful. In reading posts here on a regular basis it seems there is a small group of you that really pitch in to help others' questions and concerns. Example: you (Sapper1), KK, Sail7Seas, Ruth C, Kazu, KirkNC, English in Spain, Mamaofami, Melodie, among others. Please forgive me if I forgot anyone!

Anyway, I hope someday to go on a cruise and meet one of you, you all seem like such good people. Keep up the good work! Happy Sailing!

Glacier Bay in Alaska, standing on the forecastle in snow by Marjorie Glacier, and the really interesting talk from one of the Tlingit people just before that. Really helped to put what we were seeing into perspective.

I didn't understand why people do the same itinerary on an inside passage cruise more than once. Having been to Glacier Bay, I now understand.

We've had many memorable moments on HAL: sailaway in Venice, entrances to the harbors in Rio and Sydney, and the approach to Santorini to name just a few.

However, one special moment was our sailaway from Warnemunde, Germany aboard Rotterdam on Sunday, 2 August 1998. Rotterdam was berthed on a narrow canal that was only minimally wider than the length of the ship. It was a beautiful afternoon and there must have been at least 1000 people standing on the dock watching. Rotterdam's bow was headed inland and had to be turned around before it could sail away making it necessary for the captain to pivot Rotterdam about in order to head out. Remember, the canal was barely wider than the length of the ship. There was almost dead silence while passengers on deck and the people on the dock watched and held our breath. When he completed it very smoothly and without a hitch the crowd and passengers erupted in applause.

We've had many memorable moments on HAL: sailaway in Venice, entrances to the harbors in Rio and Sydney, and the approach to Santorini to name just a few.

However, one special moment was our sailaway from Warnemunde, Germany aboard Rotterdam on Sunday, 2 August 1998. Rotterdam was berthed on a narrow canal that was only minimally wider than the length of the ship. It was a beautiful afternoon and there must have been at least 1000 people standing on the dock watching. Rotterdam's bow was headed inland and had to be turned around before it could sail away making it necessary for the captain to pivot Rotterdam about in order to head out. Remember, the canal was barely wider than the length of the ship. There was almost dead silence while passengers on deck and the people on the dock watched and held our breath. When he completed it very smoothly and without a hitch the crowd and passengers erupted in applause.

ohh you are making me really look forward to our May cruise:D

Every time we get on a ship, it gets special.

Years ago, we did South America on the old Rotterdam (what a great ship and cruise). We were upsold the deluxe veranda and bit the bullet (what a mistake). Breakfast and lunch were served in the Queen's Room back then. DH asked the waiter if he could have some hot sauce. They brought the usual selections and he asked if they had anything else. They offered sambol. He took it. It was so funny - the waiters all came around, one with a glass of milk (to help alleviate the hotness), one with water and mostly to kind of have a chuckle methinks. DH ate it and asked if they had a hotter one. I had to laugh when I saw their mouths drop open. :) ( After all, DH has peppers with his lunch and dinner every day;) ) After that, every breakfast, lunch and dinner DH had the privilege of sharing the crew's own makings and was in 7th heaven:)

Of course, that whole cruise was very special:D

A favorite though not THE favorite ;) Holland America Moment, for me..........

We were sailing into Rotterdam on Rotterdam VI early o'dark hundred in the morning. It was the first time HAL had returned to where the company had been founded in a great many years.

Having been to Holland several times in the past, I could not imagine how that ship could possibly navigate the narrow canals I knew we'd sail in order to reach our dock so I got up early to watch from our veranda.

It was cold though dry and just about silent as we slid through the narrow canals. I looked to the small farm and farmhouse we were passing and thinking to myself what a gorgeous sight...... How lucky am I to have this quiet, peaceful beautiful moment when I noticed the farm lady, carrying lantern, in her long apron and clogs coming out to do her chores .....

She stood still and looked out to our ship and I am sure she was thinking to herself what a gorgeous sight as we quietly slid by her 'yard'.

We were so close, we saw each other, we looked at each other for the longest moment and both raised our hands in a gentle wave.

It is a moment I have never forgotten.

I noticed the farm lady, carrying lantern, in her long apron and clogs coming out to do her chores .....

She stood still and looked out to our ship and I am sure she was thinking to herself what a gorgeous sight as we quietly slid by her 'yard'.

We were so close, we saw each other, we looked at each other for the longest moment and both raised our hands in a gentle wave.

It is a moment I have never forgotten.

A welcoming gesture from a citizen of a country we are visiting is always so appreciated.

Whenever I see cruise ship passengers pouring over a map when there is a ship in port I always stop and direct them to whatever they are looking for. A lot of people here will do that and I think it is appreciated.

Whenever I see cruise ship passengers pouring over a map when there is a ship in port I always stop and direct them to whatever they are looking for. A lot of people here will do that and I think it is appreciated.

I worked in downtown Vancouver near the cruise ship terminal for many years. Tourists/cruise ship passengers very quickly got assistance without asking if they so much as looked puzzled:D Getting out a map always drew several locals to help.

... In reading posts here on a regular basis it seems there is a small group of you that really pitch in to help others' questions and concerns. Example: you (Sapper1), KK, Sail7Seas, Ruth C, Kazu, KirkNC, English in Spain, Mamaofami, Melodie, among others. Please forgive me if I forgot anyone!

Thank you so much for your recognition. It's very thoughtful of you to comment.

Especially since your boardname is one of my favorite songs, it would be my pleasure to buy you a drink on any -dam ship some day.

Thank you so much for your recognition. It's very thoughtful of you to comment.

Especially since your boardname is one of my favorite songs, it would be my pleasure to buy you a drink on any -dam ship some day.

Thanks to you in return Ruth! I hope it happens someday.......would love to meet you!

Linda

Archived