Your Favorite Holland America Moment

respondeat.cruiser

A favorite though not THE favorite ;) Holland America Moment, for me..........

We were sailing into Rotterdam on Rotterdam VI early o'dark hundred in the morning. It was the first time HAL had returned to where the company had been founded in a great many years.

Having been to Holland several times in the past, I could not imagine how that ship could possibly navigate the narrow canals I knew we'd sail in order to reach our dock so I got up early to watch from our veranda.

It was cold though dry and just about silent as we slid through the narrow canals. I looked to the small farm and farmhouse we were passing and thinking to myself what a gorgeous sight...... How lucky am I to have this quiet, peaceful beautiful moment when I noticed the farm lady, carrying lantern, in her long apron and clogs coming out to do her chores .....

She stood still and looked out to our ship and I am sure she was thinking to herself what a gorgeous sight as we quietly slid by her 'yard'.

We were so close, we saw each other, we looked at each other for the longest moment and both raised our hands in a gentle wave.

It is a moment I have never forgotten.

Really lovely - can just envision it!!

How true Sapper1, I am so glad I discovered this website a few years ago before we went to Alaska (1st time on HAL). I had questions back then (and still do) that were so kindly answered by the good folks on this site. So many of you are generous with your time and experience to enlighten others who need a few things answered. That is wonderful. In reading posts here on a regular basis it seems there is a small group of you that really pitch in to help others' questions and concerns. Example: you (Sapper1), KK, Sail7Seas, Ruth C, Kazu, KirkNC, English in Spain, Mamaofami, Melodie, among others. Please forgive me if I forgot anyone!

Anyway, I hope someday to go on a cruise and meet one of you, you all seem like such good people. Keep up the good work! Happy Sailing!

Thank you for your nice words.

It would be a pleasure to meet you one day a 'dam' ship....... :)

Happy Sailing, indeed.

Really lovely - can just envision it!!

It truly was a moment in time for me.

I think the year was 1998 but my memory of it is still so vivid.

Yet not even that is my very most special HAL moment out of the many. ;)

How true Sapper1, I am so glad I discovered this website a few years ago before we went to Alaska (1st time on HAL). I had questions back then (and still do) that were so kindly answered by the good folks on this site. So many of you are generous with your time and experience to enlighten others who need a few things answered. That is wonderful. In reading posts here on a regular basis it seems there is a small group of you that really pitch in to help others' questions and concerns. Example: you (Sapper1), KK, Sail7Seas, Ruth C, Kazu, KirkNC, English in Spain, Mamaofami, Melodie, among others. Please forgive me if I forgot anyone!

Anyway, I hope someday to go on a cruise and meet one of you, you all seem like such good people. Keep up the good work! Happy Sailing!

I'll add my voice to those thanking you for the kind words. I have gained so much knowledge myself from CC that I just love to pass it on where it may help.

Thank you for your nice words.

It would be a pleasure to meet you one day a 'dam' ship....... :)

Happy Sailing, indeed.

Would love to meet you too! Hope it happens! There are few helpful, kind people in the world today, but I feel the ones that do reside on this website! Yes, let's hope there are many "happy sailings" in our future!

Linda

you are very kind - and thank you. I , like others have learned a lot from these boards - if others were kind enough to help me, I like to return the favour if I can.

smooth seas - and here's hoping someday our paths will cross:D

We've only done 2 cruises. Our 1st was in 2003 in an onceanview on Carnival, so we'd never had a balcony before. Our 2nd was in Sept on the Westerdam. We booked an aft corner suite 7 months before we sailed, so I had 7 months to anticipate and dream about relaxing on our balcony while enjoying the beautiful scenery in Alaska. I don't know how many times I viewed photos of our cabin and balcony on Joanie's website lol

So my favorite moment was when we boarded and I finally got to open that balcony door and walk out into the sunshine onto the balcony I had dreamed of so much :)

7987240094_4b23b97b6f.jpg

014 Our Balcony by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

I'll add my voice to those thanking you for the kind words. I have gained so much knowledge myself from CC that I just love to pass it on where it may help.

You are most welcome. I feel it is appropriate to thank kind people like yourself for helping others! Hoping to meet you and others one day....you never know, it is a small world!

Linda

you are very kind - and thank you. I , like others have learned a lot from these boards - if others were kind enough to help me, I like to return the favour if I can.

smooth seas - and here's hoping someday our paths will cross:D

Keep up the good work! Folks out here like me (and others) need the advice of very experienced travelers. Travel Agents are sometimes of no help. Only the people who have been there truly know! :)

Linda

Waking up our first morning on the Westerdam at HMC...and seeing the amazing view of the island....the sea was so blue (that wonderful Tourquoise), and the view so pretty!!!

It was exactly like I dreamed it would be!

Sat on the aft deck eating my breakfast and looking at it for hours before we took the tender over....and loved the island as much as the view!!

There have been far too many "favorite" moments on Holland America for me to decide on just one. But this thread has prompted me to try to decide on a favorite. I cannot.

This has, however, brought me to thinking back over so many moments on so many cruises---some I haven't thought about in years---and it has been a pleasant reverie.

Thank you for starting this thread and sending me on this little trip down memory lane.

What a wonderful topic, as we wait and wonder about the predicted blizzard here in New England. So many memories....

My husband had heard me talk for years about Tahiti, land of Captains Cook, Ahab and Heyadahl. Of course we were busy making a living, raising our child, taking care of all the things that modern life entails and I knew that for me the South Pacific was all just a daydream. So it was an amazing gift when he surprised me with the trip of a lifetime for our 25th anniversary.

The trip was spectacular in every way. However, the memory that stands out was being on the deck of the lovely Statendam as she slipped away from the tiny island of Tahaa. It was just at sunset and many of the islanders had gathered along the beach to picnic and wave as we silently passed by. The air was rich with the smell of vanilla and the sounds of laughter from happy people, both native and tourist.

Sometimes it's true that topics and posters on this board can turn negative quickly. And sometimes it's true that posters here can be overly harsh towards HAL, and each other. So let's change that dynamic.

What's your favorite Holland America moment?

Mine was on a sea day en route from Hamilton to New York this summer. I was sitting by the midship pool, enjoying my friend's latest book. The Veendam sailed in and out of tiny storms, and the magrodome operator was up to the challenge. He brought the ceiling panels together before we were under the clouds, and opened them again when the sky cleared.

I spent the whole partly-cloudy day up on the Lido Deck and never once felt a rain drop. Though I often got wet by hopping into the turbulent pool.

And that's my favorite Holland America moment. What's yours?

2007 - Sitting by the outdoor pool, having a beer, while we sailed out of Stockholm through all of the islands/islets.

There have been far too many "favorite" moments on Holland America for me to decide on just one. But this thread has prompted me to try to decide on a favorite. I cannot.

This has, however, brought me to thinking back over so many moments on so many cruises---some I haven't thought about in years---and it has been a pleasant reverie.

Thank you for starting this thread and sending me on this little trip down memory lane.

How true, Ruth. I have had so many "favorite" moments, it was tough to pick just one. Not only on HAL but on all trips I have had the good fortune to enjoy. Alaska on the Zaandam has to stand out though!

Linda

A favorite though not THE favorite ;) Holland America Moment, for me..........

We were sailing into Rotterdam on Rotterdam VI early o'dark hundred in the morning. It was the first time HAL had returned to where the company had been founded in a great many years.

Having been to Holland several times in the past, I could not imagine how that ship could possibly navigate the narrow canals I knew we'd sail in order to reach our dock so I got up early to watch from our veranda.

It was cold though dry and just about silent as we slid through the narrow canals. I looked to the small farm and farmhouse we were passing and thinking to myself what a gorgeous sight...... How lucky am I to have this quiet, peaceful beautiful moment when I noticed the farm lady, carrying lantern, in her long apron and clogs coming out to do her chores .....

She stood still and looked out to our ship and I am sure she was thinking to herself what a gorgeous sight as we quietly slid by her 'yard'.

We were so close, we saw each other, we looked at each other for the longest moment and both raised our hands in a gentle wave.

It is a moment I have never forgotten.

We first cruised in July, 2011 on the Oosterdam to Alaska, followed by the Eurodam to the Eastern Caribbean in March, 2012 and then back on the Oosterdam again to Alaska, July 2012. For each of those, while filled with wonderful memories, I always alerted DH that I would 'lose it' when we first boarded the ship.

We're booked now to board the Rotterdam in Rotterdam in June and Sails' post makes me think we may have a new unforgettable moment as we leave the port. I recognize that it may be different, years later, but I'm going to watch for that farm lady.

Thanks, as many have said, to Sails for the very good help and insights she offers us!

Detroit,

Thanks for your nice words.

I hope you have a wonderful time on Rotterdam, in Rotterdam. We have very special memories of some great cruises on her all the way back to her first New Years Eve in the fleet when she was a brand new ship.

Make some special memories. :)

Archived