NCLH shareholder Benefit

FIRELT5

It's not a promotion. It's a listed shareholder benefit. My point is if you are going to offer it and list it as a benefit, it shouldn't have a bunch of terms and conditions attached to it. It either is or it isn't a benefit. Period.

And, yes, I know my options with regard to other lines. It isn't about that. I think the NCL brand is a good one. I can have an opinion about something without selling my shares and investing elsewhere. My feelings about how they promote and handle the shareholder benefit can be separate from my desire to own the stock. I certainly didn't invest because of the benefit.

A shareholder benefit is functionally a promotion. You're parsing words and trying to create a distinction without a real difference.

Here's a summary of Royal Caribbean's shareholder benefit:

file:///home/chronos/u068c25f25b8873fe23d888064b632a60fbab3cd3/Downloads/Shareholder%20Benefit%20Letter%202010.pdf

Note the following condition, similar to NCL's: "Benefit is not combinable with other onboard credit offers, general loyalty offers, “dollars off” promotions and savings certificates. Guests have the option to choose between the shareholder benefit or the other offer."

Edited by njhorseman

I understand the terms and conditions currently listed. What I am expressing is disagreement with how the "benefit" is extended. I am allowed to disagree with the policy, no?

Yeah Connie you are, however, here's the issue. Like many other things in the past couple of years. Many complained that NCL did not give a shareholder benefit, and some of the complaints went like this, "if only they would give us something to prove they care about shareholders like the other lines". So NCL did, then it became, but I wanted them to do it the way I wanted it. I want to stack OBC. Same with the UBP, "why can't NCL give us an unlimited drink package like the other lines"? So NCL did, then came, "but it's not the way I wanted to be delivered". "I want to pick what drinks they offer and the price and by the way, I want to buy it for one and share with my family".

Smokers, "I want them to stop smoking on the balconies so it doesn't bother me", so NCL did, then it became "but their smoking in other places that I don't want them to".

For NCL it's a losing proposition. No matter what concessions/changes they make, it's never enough.

Bottom line, you can always have your shareholder OBC, you just can't have any other OBC. Take your choice.

• 2 months later...

Just got off the phone with NCL Investor relations about the rejection of my $100 OBC and their offer of Cagney's and bottle of wine. They admitted that most promotions will make the shareholder benefit ineligible and they have a standard Cagney's for 2 with a bottle of wine as a consolation.

However, because I already have the Ultimate Dining package (UDP), Cagney's for 2 is worthless (for us) and we don't really drink wine. They were also quite adamant about no substitution - no Ocean Blue substitution or spa credit or anything else. Cagney's for 2 and a bottle of wine is it - regardless of what your promotion was.

I'm selling my NCLH stock as soon as it goes up a little bit more - less incentive to hold on to NCL stocks. I'll then buy the other cruise line stocks to hold and try out NCL competitor's cruises instead i.e. more incentive to cruise with them.

With regards to the debate on the fine prints and policies, how a company interprets and executes a policy tells you something about the company. The fact that the other cruise lines have a "similar" fine print and policy about their OBC benefit and yet they are more generous in giving out OBC says something about the corporation.

Just copying what other cruise lines do - i.e. to remain competitive - is only half the story. Having a benefit or perk is 1 thing - how you execute the policy and what that benefit or perk actually means for your customer/shareholder is the other half.

In this respect, NCL has dropped the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I love NCL and will likely continue to cruise with them. But their shareholder benefit in the current form is worthless for most people.

Just got off the phone with NCL Investor relations about the rejection of my $100 OBC and their offer of Cagney's and bottle of wine. They admitted that most promotions will make the shareholder benefit ineligible and they have a standard Cagney's for 2 with a bottle of wine as a consolation.

However, because I already have the Ultimate Dining package (UDP), Cagney's for 2 is worthless (for us) and we don't really drink wine. They were also quite adamant about no substitution - no Ocean Blue substitution or spa credit or anything else. Cagney's for 2 and a bottle of wine is it - regardless of what your promotion was.

I'm selling my NCLH stock as soon as it goes up a little bit more - less incentive to hold on to NCL stocks. I'll then buy the other cruise line stocks to hold and try out NCL competitor's cruises instead i.e. more incentive to cruise with them.

With regards to the debate on the fine prints and policies, how a company interprets and executes a policy tells you something about the company. The fact that the other cruise lines have a "similar" fine print and policy about their OBC benefit and yet they are more generous in giving out OBC says something about the corporation.

Just copying what other cruise lines do - i.e. to remain competitive - is only half the story. Having a benefit or perk is 1 thing - how you execute the policy and what that benefit or perk actually means for your customer/shareholder is the other half.

In this respect, NCL has dropped the ball.

Don't get me wrong, I love NCL and will likely continue to cruise with them. But their shareholder benefit in the current form is worthless for most people.

The same thing happened to me this morning, and I took my frustration out on the guy who offered me 2 dinners at Cagney and a bottle of wine....I do hope he didn't do what I told him to do with that bottle!!:eek: I have six weeks booked with these guys, and I would certainly love to "GET EXCLUSIVE PERKS" they talk about for their shareholders. Perhaps a "STRONGLY WORDED LETTER TO THE CEO" might do something. :rolleyes:

The same thing happened to me this morning, and I took my frustration out on the guy who offered me 2 dinners at Cagney and a bottle of wine....I do hope he didn't do what I told him to do with that bottle!!:eek: I have six weeks booked with these guys, and I would certainly love to "GET EXCLUSIVE PERKS" they talk about for their shareholders. Perhaps a "STRONGLY WORDED LETTER TO THE CEO" might do something. :rolleyes:

I'm 99.8% certain that this is entirely sarcasm, as it's the same tone as the note I wrote & then deleted before posting.

The criteria are there, the stock is up more than 100% since it went public, and even for those who don't qualify they have a backup plan..... it's incredible how unsatisfied some people can be.

I'm 99.8% certain that this is entirely sarcasm, as it's the same tone as the note I wrote & then deleted before posting.

The criteria are there, the stock is up more than 100% since it went public, and even for those who don't qualify they have a backup plan..... it's incredible how unsatisfied some people can be.

I agree 100% that some people will NEVER be happy.

It does say not combinable with other promotions. Replacing it with dinner for 2 at Cagney + a bottle of wine is fully satisfactory IMO.

Just go and enjoy the perks instead of bitching about it!

What perk is that? After paying the UDP and UBP, what are you referring to? Seems most of the perks are now being rolled into the initial fare. Can I use the value of my stock benefit to pay for a shore excursion? Not unless they elect to honor the benefit. As it turns out, my PCC arranged for an accommodation, not because I complained, but for the business I bring to them.

I just returned from a Gem sailing.

In the past, my shareholder OBC was always denied because I had an AARP or military price, or some other OBC.

I was surprised when I received a Shareholders' Dept. phone call offering dinner for two in Cagney's and a bottle of wine.

As it turned out, the $60 was shown on my onboard account as a non-refundable OBC. Since each of us would be getting two dinners plus wine for being Platinum Latitudes' members, I asked at the Reception Desk if I could use the $60 for anything on the ship. I was assured I could, but not for the DSC.

I used the $60 to buy a gorgeous necklace in one of the shops on the ship!!!

We did get the bottle of wine in our cabin. There was no note with it, but it must have been from the Shareholders' Dept.

We just got off the Star and our $60 showed as non-refundable OBC. We went ahead and used it for Cagney's, as we have never been to specialty dining. Nice to know we could have used it in the shops...I'll remember that for next time!

• 3 weeks later...

I have purchase shares in Royal Caribbean and Carnival cruises lines. I received the shareholders discount on my first request with each of them I was a little late transmitting the information to Carnival. Carnival applies the credit within a couple of days. I purchased my cruise tickets from a travel agent.

I booked a cruise on NCL from a travel agent and I received a message from NCL “Thank you for your shareholder benefit request. Take note the shareholder benefit is not combinable with the current offer on your booking.

The offer you have is better than the shareholder benefit , so it’s best to leave your booking with the current offer.”

I remember taking a trip with my father when I was about ten years old to Trinidad and Tobago on The Lady Rodney sailing out of Boston stopping at all the English islands. The first stop was Hamilton, Bermuda. There were stops in St. Kitts, St Vincent, Grenada, Barbados and a couple other islands. The Lady Rodney was about 12,000 tons. We returned to New York from Trinidad non-stop to New York aboard the SS Argentina about 33,000 tons.

1950 we sailed to Europe on the SS France and returned on the SS LIberte. I can remember the rough seas returning from France of the SS Liberte during October 1950.

1970 Sailed from Honolulu aboard the SS Lurline to Los Angeles.

May 1975 I sailed from New York with my two Children for a 21 day cruise to Italy and back aboard the SS Michelangelo. About three days out of New York the ship lost part of one of it propellers. The ship made it to Italy without a stop in Casablanca. The propeller was replaced at the dry dock in Genoa within forty-eight hours while we stayed at a hotel.

I remember taking a cruise aboard an Italian Liner ship from Buenaventura, Colombia to Caracas, Venezuela. I think the name was the SS Rossini.

Many cruise in Caribbean aboard the Costa Line, Royal Caribbean Line, NCL and Carnival. We were on the SS Norway when there was a power failure and we drifted for almost two days before the power was restored.

Recent cruises on Holland America to Alaska, Celebrity through the Panama Canal. Los Angeles to Valparaíso, Chile aboard Carnival line

I just returned from a Gem sailing.

In the past, my shareholder OBC was always denied because I had an AARP or military price, or some other OBC.

I was surprised when I received a Shareholders' Dept. phone call offering dinner for two in Cagney's and a bottle of wine.

As it turned out, the $60 was shown on my onboard account as a non-refundable OBC. Since each of us would be getting two dinners plus wine for being Platinum Latitudes' members, I asked at the Reception Desk if I could use the $60 for anything on the ship. I was assured I could, but not for the DSC.

I used the $60 to buy a gorgeous necklace in one of the shops on the ship!!!

We did get the bottle of wine in our cabin. There was no note with it, but it must have been from the Shareholders' Dept.

What a smart thing to do: we usually just take the dinner and wine because we take 10 day cruises as a rule and like the idea of eating in specialty dining rooms as often as possible. We use our plat, dinners for Modernos and Le Bistro, eat in the Asian restaurant on our own and use the share holders certificate for Cagneys. I would never have thought to do what you did. Again, a very good idea.

Just wanted to post another experience with Stockholders. I faxed my broker statement on Tuesday for our cruise on 11/6. Received a phone call from the office on Wednesday. The nice woman stated that we were not eligible for the $100 OBC because we already have a discount which happens to be an AARP discount. She offered me the Dinner for 2 at Cagneys and a bottle of wine. I asked her to check the AARP discount. It was $27. I asked her to remove that discount which she did and I paid $27 with my credit card. She then gave us the $100 OBC and sent confirmation emails immediately. Cagneys is not worth giving up an additional $73. We can still choose to use our OBC to go there if we want but probably will not since we are both platinum members and will eat get a dinner for two at LeBistro with a bottle of wine each.

I guess this is another case of food being subjective: I happen to think, when you add the wine the dinner is easily worth the $73.00, but everyone has his/her own idea.

I understand the terms and conditions currently listed. What I am expressing is disagreement with how the "benefit" is extended. I am allowed to disagree with the policy, no?

Everyone has a right to his opinion and everyone has his/her own ideas, but you are making it sound like there are all kinds of restrictions on the benefit, there really is only one. Most of us have no problem with it.

Let me add, when I see people make statements like I am going sell my stock (no, you didn't say that) I just want to laugh. How many buy stock for the shareholder benefits? We buy, hoping to make a good investment, if we get benies that is great...

Edited by newmexicoNita

I faxed my NCLH stockholder form on Thursday afternoon. I received an email from NCL about noon on Friday confirming $100 OBC on my upcoming cruise.

I was given an AARP discount and OBC when I booked my cruise last summer.

I've been doing this for years on CCL. The CCL stock went way up this year so I sold it and bought NCLH.

Having done our taxes for this year, we are unable to contribute to our IRAs because of my husbands' weird employment status last year. So I'm looking to buy stock and thinking about NCL. So I have 2 questions for you guys:

1: Our next cruise is in June. If I buy the stock now, will everything get finalized in time to get the benefit on that cruise?

2: Said cruise has free UDP, UBP, and our son was free. We don't have an OBC though. What would our benefit be for that cruise since we don't need dinner in Cagney's? Would we even get anything?

Thanks everyone! I'm very new to NCL, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

Having done our taxes for this year, we are unable to contribute to our IRAs because of my husbands' weird employment status last year. So I'm looking to buy stock and thinking about NCL. So I have 2 questions for you guys:

1: Our next cruise is in June. If I buy the stock now, will everything get finalized in time to get the benefit on that cruise?

2: Said cruise has free UDP, UBP, and our son was free. We don't have an OBC though. What would our benefit be for that cruise since we don't need dinner in Cagney's? Would we even get anything?

Thanks everyone! I'm very new to NCL, so I apologize if this has been asked and answered.

yes, you would have time to benefit, but because you are getting so much for almost nothing, cruise; you are UDP, UBS, etc. all you would get this time around is a free bottle of wine. If benefits are what you are looking for I don't think buying 100 shares or more of any stock is really worth it. I know we didn't buy ours for that reason.

yes, you would have time to benefit, but because you are getting so much for almost nothing, cruise; you are UDP, UBS, etc. all you would get this time around is a free bottle of wine. If benefits are what you are looking for I don't think buying 100 shares or more of any stock is really worth it. I know we didn't buy ours for that reason.

Thanks for the help. Seeing as how neither of us drinks wine, it's probably not worth buying the 100 shares. I do want to buy some NCL stock though. I had this idea that my Scottrade account would be invested in the things we both love - so we've got Disney stock and craft beer stock so far :) But we've recently ventured out to RCCL and NCL so I've been watching them too. Maybe I'll start with 25 or 50 shares. Again, thanks for the help!

• 2 years later...

FREE? Huh. The FREE is actually paid for..by you!

on NCLH :OTC which really is a wholly owned Asian firm does NOT pay any Dividend.

The ( So-Called) Shareholder benefit is sometimes Malarky. They try to push people into a dinner abaord..which is like winning an Airline Seat, Hotel Room, and/or a Cruise Ship Cabin.. On all those aforementioned it is a small cost basis for them. Usually the wion (so-called) is the lowest qualty seat, lowest Hotel Room, and/or the Lowest Cabin. They all want YOU to PAY and do UpGrades!

So yes on NCLH - OTC they want you to UpGrade to meals and PAY.

The CASH Shareholder Benefit shown in the 10-K ( Annual Report) is IMHO in/for your best benefit .

On the other Major Cruise Lines which trade publicly and have a Shareholder Benefit I use them as frequenly as we cruise and yes it is addive to most benefits you aquire with these Major Cruise Lines and on the sub- cruise lines too.

Ask your tax advisors, CPA, PA, etc.. for advise too.

FREE? Huh. The FREE is actually paid for..by you!

on NCLH :OTC which really is a wholly owned Asian firm does NOT pay any Dividend.

The ( So-Called) Shareholder benefit is sometimes Malarky. They try to push people into a dinner abaord..which is like winning an Airline Seat, Hotel Room, and/or a Cruise Ship Cabin.. On all those aforementioned it is a small cost basis for them. Usually the wion (so-called) is the lowest qualty seat, lowest Hotel Room, and/or the Lowest Cabin. They all want YOU to PAY and do UpGrades!

So yes on NCLH - OTC they want you to UpGrade to meals and PAY.

The CASH Shareholder Benefit shown in the 10-K ( Annual Report) is IMHO in/for your best benefit .

On the other Major Cruise Lines which trade publicly and have a Shareholder Benefit I use them as frequenly as we cruise and yes it is addive to most benefits you aquire with these Major Cruise Lines and on the sub- cruise lines too.

Ask your tax advisors, CPA, PA, etc.. for advise too.

That's the problem with resurrecting 3 year old threads, since then this policy has changed entirely.

Stephen

You are so right about old threads. I got confused reading the earlier threads. The program has changed considerably. It has worked well for us the last couple years. If you can afford the 100 shares, I think it is a great deal especially if you sail a few times a year.

Sent from my iPad using Forums