How do you feel about the new change in RCI's tipping

knicksak2

How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI  

702 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI

• For it!!
    • Against it!!

As we have heard people supporting both sides of the argument i thought i would be interesting to see how we all really stand on the issue. I for one am for it because i think the people who end up stiffing the crew should be stopped.

I did enjoy handing my cash to them personally as i felt it was a better way of saying thank you but its not the end of the world.

I like the new policy. There seems to be some procedure to adjust should someone receive sub-par service. We pre-pay anyway (and also add something additional for superior service and special requests), so the change doesn't really make a big difference to us personally.

I've long thought it should be called a hotel service charge rather than "gratuities", and added to your account daily as it is on other cruiselines.

We paid in Cash on the last day for many years, but our last 3-4 cruises, we had it added to our onboard account so that we could use OBC to pay for it. We noticed absolutely NO effect on the level of service.

I frankly do not care. If folks want to parse words, fine, but it is simply part of the cost of cruising. Never stiffed, never will, find so many of the "excuses" are hollow and merely folks trying to justify the fact that they are either cheap or should have booked for one month later so they could save up the tip money and not stiff the staff.

As we have heard people supporting both sides of the argument i thought i would be interesting to see how we all really stand on the issue. I for one am for it because i think the people who end up stiffing the crew should be stopped.

I did enjoy handing my cash to them personally as i felt it was a better way of saying thank you but its not the end of the world.

Totally agree.

This is outstanding and about time. The crew works very hard to please us and unfortunately there are too many cheap people out there that stiff these hard working individuals. This will finally establish a level playing field as other cruise lines have done in the past. Congratulations RCI, it's about time.

I frankly do not care. If folks want to parse words, fine, but it is simply part of the cost of cruising. Never stiffed, never will, find so many of the "excuses" are hollow and merely folks trying to justify the fact that they are either cheap or should have booked for one month later so they could save up the tip money and not stiff the staff.

ITA. I consider it a part of my cruising cost. And I will go over for exceptional service and would ask to have it reduced if I felt the service was awful (which has only happened one time in 10+ years of cruising, during one meal at Chop's which isn't included in the daily gratuity anyways).

I've long thought it should be called a hotel service charge rather than "gratuities", and added to your account daily as it is on other cruiselines.

We paid in Cash on the last day for many years, but our last 3-4 cruises, we had it added to our onboard account so that we could use OBC to pay for it. We noticed absolutely NO effect on the level of service.

Let me start by saying we have always found the service excellent and always tip - and often more than the recommended amount. That being said, while I'm not opposed to this policy, I have wondered if there could be a lack of incentive regarding service levels. We also have enjoyed the personal touch of thanking them while handing the cash to each on the last day - and with them knowing they recieved it from us. But I guess the new policy simplifies things and we can always add more in cash at the end of the week if we want.

The only other comment is - as example - there have been cruises where we never saw the head waiter. I guess the option now with a guest specifying a tip not to be given would in essence "call out" an individual to management. The staff knowing this probably will be certain - in the example given - to make themselves known! So I guess it's good all around.

Edited by leaveitallbehind

as a Brit Im in favour of it because i really am fed up with whats been said about Brits not tipping up. Alot of us do and well .... I do have to add and please dont shoot me down in flames why dont they just add the cost to the cost of the cruise and then if we want to we can add an extra tip members of staff as and if we feel like it.

as a Brit Im in favour of it because i really am fed up with whats been said about Brits not tipping up. Alot of us do and well .... I do have to add and please dont shoot me down in flames why dont they just add the cost to the cost of the cruise and then if we want to we can add an extra tip members of staff as and if we feel like it.

I couldn't agree more.

Let me start by saying we have always found the service excellent and always tip - and often more than the recommended amount. That being said, while I'm not opposed to this policy, I have wondered if there could be a lack of incentive regarding service levels. We also have enjoyed the personal touch of thanking them while handing the cash to each on the last day - and with them knowing they recieved it from us. But I guess the new policy simplifies things and we can always add more in cash at the end of the week if we want.

The only other comment is - as example - there have been cruises where we never saw the head waiter. I guess the option now with a guest specifying a tip not to be given would in essence "call out" an individual to management. The staff knowing this probably will be certain - in the example given - to make themselves known! So I guess it's good all around.

Agree..In addition..I have never felt the need to have someone else decide on who, how much and when I tip (especially when guidelines are given) ..Couldn't help but feel when on PCL that had this (new to us) policy the attention to detail service was lacking.

Can someone clarify something for me? In the past, if you selected MTD you had to prepay gratuities. Now that they're imposing automatic gratuities, are people not going to have to prepay if they choose MTD?

I agree, with the new tipping policy. I was told once by someone in the know, that as many as maybe 50% do not leave a tip or very little tip on the Monarch cruises.

My first though, what happens to MTD, I love it, so how about some speculation on what will happen to MTD?

I guess that it will be another pay for option.

as a Brit Im in favour of it because i really am fed up with whats been said about Brits not tipping up.

So I have to wonder why so many (including many Brits that I've seen here on CC) assert that they do not come from a tipping culture and that is why they do not tip.

I don't know how true this is but I swear I read awhile back that the reason the cost of the cruise isn't increased is that its more of an accounting issue. Wages are in a differect catagory when figuring out profit and loss etc. Maybe someone with more accounting experience could explain if this makes sense.

Following an undercover report on U.K. tv. I said I will never pre pay the tips as the only one to benefit is the company. On the programme celebrity were shown to pay an 8 hundred dollar salary per month to a waiter but that was taken out of their pre paid tips and only guaranteed if the amount wasn't reached. So if you really want to support the staff allow them to get their salary then pay them their tips in hand.