How do you feel about the new change in RCI's tipping

knicksak2

How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI  

702 members have voted

1. 1. How do you feel about the new automatic tipping for RCI

• For it!!
    • Against it!!

We agree, handing over cash is a tip --mandatory charges to our account is a price increase. And the increase comes after we have already booked our Mediterranean and Trans-Atlantic back to back cruise for later this year -- a whopping $480 price increase. A family of four on a one week cruise in a mini suite will be looking at a $399 price increase.

You DO realize the the company takes their share of the tips as well, right?

I don't mind the new system... we always tip--but at the end and in cash. I just hope that the crew gets the money. My husband's colleague's wife worked for RCI ,and she told him that the company takes part of the tips. She wasn't a crew member, she worked in the offices. So won't it just make it easier for the company to shave off some more cash for RCI? If someone can tell me for a fact that she is WRONG, then I'll feel better about prepaying tips...

:(

I love RCI, and cruising, but do not trust them. This is exactly what I am afraid of, and fairly confident of. I will find out soon from my friend who is a cabin steward onboard. He will tell me straight up.

I want to be 100% certain that the men and women onboard get 100% of my money. If that's the case--then I'm all for it.

However, if they will use this to make more money for themselves, and/or go by "ratings"-meaning, anything under "excellent" gets tips taken away, then I will not support it. Seems to me that these huge companies will find any old way to make some more money. I hope I'm wrong.

It will be interesting now to see how full the dining room will be on the final night. It made me so angry in the past to see how many cheapos skipped out of going to the main dining room on the final night just so they did not have to tip! Good move RCI!

We agree, handing over cash is a tip --mandatory charges to our account is a price increase. And the increase comes after we have already booked our Mediterranean and Trans-Atlantic back to back cruise for later this year -- a whopping $480 price increase. A family of four on a one week cruise in a mini suite will be looking at a $399 price increase.

If you were already planning to pay the recommended amount, and had budgeted as such for your cruise, then it is a very small increase. It is only a 'whopping' increase if you did not intend to tip.

It will be interesting now to see how full the dining room will be on the final night. It made me so angry in the past to see how many cheapos skipped out of going to the main dining room on the final night just so they did not have to tip! Good move RCI!

Bear in mind that many people have either pre-paid or had he tips added to their sea pass account. Not attending the MDR on the final night is not really a good indicator of whether they are avoiding tips.

I agree. And people will try to argue your point, saying that you don't know if they pre-paid tips, etc. That argument makes sense and is, of course, a small percentage of the missing diners, but trust me....MOST of the missing are "skipping out."

Bear in mind that many people have either pre-paid or had he tips added to their sea pass account. Not attending the MDR on the final night is not really a good indicator of whether they are avoiding tips.

Bekka--I know what you're saying, but I can just tell you from personal experience, that back in the day, even prior to pre-paid gratuities, the MDR on the final night would be missing many of its patrons. And this was solely and completely to avoid paying tips. Now, it's more difficult to judge that due to the pre-paid grats, specialty restaurants, etc. But I have absolutely no doubt that it's still happening. If not more.

You DO realize the the company takes their share of the tips as well, right?

I don't mind the new system... we always tip--but at the end and in cash. I just hope that the crew gets the money. My husband's colleague's wife worked for RCI ,and she told him that the company takes part of the tips. She wasn't a crew member, she worked in the offices. So won't it just make it easier for the company to shave off some more cash for RCI? If someone can tell me for a fact that she is WRONG, then I'll feel better about prepaying tips...

:(

Do you have proof of this?

Having worked on an RCI ship I can tell you this is absolutely false. I worked in the Purser's office for part of my stint and handled the reports. I knew exactly what was brought in and exactly what went out. The company did not keep any part of the tips.

In fact, RCI being a publicly traded company would be in violation of US accounting laws if they were doing this.

I asked a waiter on one of my RCI cruise if RCI took anything for 'handling' his gratuities.. he said 'no' they do not and that he prefers the idea because it goes directly into his account....

Wouldn't he/she rather the "cash" go directly into their pocket..Because I've been told by several stewards that they do:

Edited by Ashland

If it is automatic and not discretionary then call it for what it is, a charge, not a tip or gratuity.

I am not a fan of being told what/ who to "tip". I expect it should be my decision based on the service that my family and I receive and that I should be able to direct my "tips" to the services that we use. The kids club is included for us.

On our last cruise the service was great, we prepaid 1/2 and directed the other 1/2 to the services that we used or that went above or beyond for us.

If it is not a tip, then it is a charge.

I vote against.

It makes zero sense to me as to why they wouldn't just include this in the price of the cruise. You have taxes/fees/port charges added on in addition to your actual fare why not just add another line for gratuity and call it a day. This would not have to be handled any differently, just diverted into a pot and split up since RCI doesn't keep any of said money.

We like our peace and quiet and doing the things we want, when we want. That being said we don't bother with the MDR. Why on earth should any part of my gratuity go to the waiters in the MDR when I'm not even there? We went once this past cruise because we had family with us and there was 2 screaming children directly behind us, the waiters were "over it", and passed that attitude off on us. Although the service was sub par, I felt their pain and we left the suggested amounts in the envelope at the end of the cruise. We both agreed, not our thing.

Where is my option to divert my gratuity from the MDR to the Windjammer waiters? Why is this even being called gratuity? It's now a forced "service charge". Why don't I have the option to select "NO MDR"? These workers can tell you whatever they want, true or false. One thing doesn't change though - a $100 bill under the table is worth more to any one of them than $100 gratuity paid by RCI.

Everyone likes things a different way so it's impossible to please everyone however they need to realize that there are many different age groups and types of people who do things differently. They should have a dining option when booking that looks like this: multiple set times, my time dining, and no main dining room. The system should adjust your waiter gratuity accordingly from that option.

I have no problem with them taking my "forced gratuity", I'd just like to know that it gets to the people who actually served me and their system does not lead me to believe that. When I give our stateroom attendant a cash tip the last day based on the quality of service they provided us it's rewarding to us and them. They did a good job, the cash handed to them reflects they did a good job - simple. There will be none of that now, $12/day, done. There is very little motivation for these people to go above and beyond now.

One less thing for me to have to worry about. It's taken care of. As far as tipping for service, when we have received just ok service we still gave them the minimum. But, would add extra for superior service. If I get better than average service, I am sure I will be able to give the individuals some extra cash. Can't see anyone telling me no, nor not accepting it.

Despite what you think, this will not stop/prevent people from not tipping. Those same people that don't tip in the old system, will have no trouble going to guest services to remove the tips with this system.

We always tip the people that serve us but I agree with other posters, lets just call it a service charge or resort fee. All of the major hotels are starting it. We paid $28 a night for a "resort" fee on top of our room rate in Las Vegas in November. I don't think we should keep calling it a tip.

Bekka--I know what you're saying, but I can just tell you from personal experience, that back in the day, even prior to pre-paid gratuities, the MDR on the final night would be missing many of its patrons. And this was solely and completely to avoid paying tips. Now, it's more difficult to judge that due to the pre-paid grats, specialty restaurants, etc. But I have absolutely no doubt that it's still happening. If not more.

I will certainly defer to your experience, as I have not cruised prior to the pre-pay option. How sad that people do this. Even with the full gratuities we find cruising to be a very good value vacation and do not begrudge paying these amounts.

It is not a "tip" if it is automatic without any input from me. The price of the cruise has just been increased. Where is the incentive for good service (there isn't any as the pay is coming anyhow). My first stop at the desk will be to have the "tip" removed, and I will decide if and to who gave good service and add that later in the week like you could do in the past. This new policy stinks, and we'll have to see how easy it is to get it removed. Norwegian pulled this on me in 2007, I got horrible service, and they refused to remove the "service fee".

Sounds like my state government. No new "taxes" just new "fees" (which you must pay) instead. A user fee is so much more friendly. :eek:

I asked a waiter on one of my RCI cruise if RCI took anything for 'handling' his gratuities.. he said 'no' they do not and that he prefers the idea because it goes directly into his account....

They don't really have to. The float on the MTD pre-payments probably nets them $1-2 million a year.

I vote against.

It makes zero sense to me as to why they wouldn't just include this in the price of the cruise. You have taxes/fees/port charges added on in addition to your actual fare why not just add another line for gratuity and call it a day. This would not have to be handled any differently, just diverted into a pot and split up since RCI doesn't keep any of said money.

We like our peace and quiet and doing the things we want, when we want. That being said we don't bother with the MDR. Why on earth should any part of my gratuity go to the waiters in the MDR when I'm not even there? We went once this past cruise because we had family with us and there was 2 screaming children directly behind us, the waiters were "over it", and passed that attitude off on us. Although the service was sub par, I felt their pain and we left the suggested amounts in the envelope at the end of the cruise. We both agreed, not our thing.

Where is my option to divert my gratuity from the MDR to the Windjammer waiters? Why is this even being called gratuity? It's now a forced "service charge". Why don't I have the option to select "NO MDR"? These workers can tell you whatever they want, true or false. One thing doesn't change though - a $100 bill under the table is worth more to any one of them than $100 gratuity paid by RCI.

Everyone likes things a different way so it's impossible to please everyone however they need to realize that there are many different age groups and types of people who do things differently. They should have a dining option when booking that looks like this: multiple set times, my time dining, and no main dining room. The system should adjust your waiter gratuity accordingly from that option.

I have no problem with them taking my "forced gratuity", I'd just like to know that it gets to the people who actually served me and their system does not lead me to believe that. When I give our stateroom attendant a cash tip the last day based on the quality of service they provided us it's rewarding to us and them. They did a good job, the cash handed to them reflects they did a good job - simple. There will be none of that now, $12/day, done. There is very little motivation for these people to go above and beyond now.

Maybe because the staff doesn't just work in the MDR. The dining room staff rotates into the Windjammer also. Those that are working at breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer also work the MDR at dinner. What are people so hung up on this? I really think that the "motivation" is to do a good job. DO you only do a good job at work because you will get something beyond your salary?

The Windjammer staff is the MDR waitstaff. They rotate. GEEZ!!

4 cruises on RC and we have prepaid on all 4. We have also given extra cash to staff who did a great job each time.

I think some people should stop spending their valuable life time worrying so much much about the 'little things', particularly when they are on vacation.

Maybe because the staff doesn't just work in the MDR. The dining room staff rotates into the Windjammer also. Those that are working at breakfast and lunch in the Windjammer also work the MDR at dinner. What are people so hung up on this? I really think that the "motivation" is to do a good job. DO you only do a good job at work because you will get something beyond your salary?

The Windjammer staff is the MDR waitstaff. They rotate. GEEZ!!

Chill.

I understand the concept of people rotating positions, it's not that complicated. My point is, I like to tip the person taking care of me, face to face with cash. I don't like to throw my money in a pot and hope the dude cleaning my room will get some of it. By them doing this they are taking all the guess work out and saying "give us the money, we'll do it for you" - that's fine as long as they actually are paying these people correctly. Maybe I'll change my opinion once we take off in October and see this plan in action, not sure.

Have you worked a customer service job? Dealing with impossible people sucks. At first it won't be too bad but once these workers see that they can get away with being rude, lazy, and not always on top of their game because they are getting paid anyway you will notice a decline in service - it's inevitable.

I do my job at work, I do what needs to be done and take care of my business. I'm never compensated above my salary for doing 'outstanding work' - it's just not how the company I work for does business. The stock offerings, retirement plans, and health coverage are all dependent on everyone doing a "good job" so the company profits and we all benefit. So I'd say that's my motivation to do a good job so that one day I can retire.

I vote against.

I think (but can't find the info to back this up) from what I have previously read that if the cruise line includes the so called "gratuities" in the fare, they the cruise line will have to pay some sort of tax on that portion of the fare - so money saving by the cruise lines appears to be the reason.

Of course if a living wage was paid to the staff none of this would be needed - oh wait, then that would cost the cruise line more in Social Security payments, so not going to happen until various laws change, if ever.

We continue to lose our freedom everyday... Sounds like their taking a page out from our governments...Let me decide the quality of service I pay for not someone sitting in the front office.

We have always paid in excess of suggested amounts based on the service received, but taking that control out of may hands puts a bad taste in my mouth....Wonder how are friends on Carnival would feel if they where told about a requirement to pay upfront on gratuities?

Having the option of convenience for passengers who prefer the prepaid program is find, but don't dictate ones preferences on others. What's next...telling vacationers how much they can or what to eat?

Edited by Ditch

We continue to lose our freedom everyday... Sounds like their taking a page out from our governments...Let me decide the quality of service I pay for not someone sitting in the front office.

We have always paid in excess of suggested amounts based on the service received, but taking that control out of may hands puts a bad taste in my mouth....Wonder how are friends on Carnival would feel if they where told about a requirement to pay upfront on gratuities?

Having the option of convenience for passengers who prefer the prepaid program is find, but don't dictate ones preferences on others. What's next...telling vacationers how much they can or what to eat?

that probably IS next, actually! Ha. I agree with you.