The Carnival Rock Center Video Segment: NOT TOO FLATTERING

MrPete

They can' stand the fact that they haven't yet been able to get their greedy paws on this industry.

Carnival provides the opportunity for folks to enjoy a wonderful vacation.

The folks are paying the taxes that keep the coast guard in operation. They are being helped at sea because they are on the ship.

How many times does the government want to be paid to perform their service?

Oh, and by the way .... How much tax did General Electric get out of paying in the last few years?? Now that would be a story. Let's see if NBC

will interview their CEO.

:mad:

It was pathetic and poor reporting. Totally one sided w/o complete facts about the cruise industry as a whole. The media needs to find something new and newsworthy to report.

Perhaps, Micky will respond to the interview request for that "other side".

It was pathetic and poor reporting. Totally one sided w/o complete facts about the cruise industry as a whole. The media needs to find something new and newsworthy to report.

I agree completely!!!!!!!!

I did think the program was very well done (yes I am prepared to be slammed for saying that) Personally we have cruised Carnival many times and have been satisfied except for the last time in October when we did notice a decline in many areas. I think the program brought to light that certain areas need to be reviewed along with management. I'm sure other cruise lines experience problems too The most disheartening thing is their PR. Some persons feel they not dare roam from Carnival they are so loyal beyond belief, they feel Carnival cannot be faulted I think for fear of what certain Carnival PR persons would think. That is what is sad as they refuse to think there are ever any problems. Hopefully Carnival is addressing their current problems and will continue to function as a leader in the economy travel area.

I found the tax issue interesting. Sheds light on some of the financial issues the country faces. From the standpoint of a shareholder, which I am, you applaud them for delivering higher profits. From the citizen's standpoint you want to cry foul. Therein lies the tension that must be resolved someday.

I wonder how many of the 90 problems the Coast Guard has responded to are actually Carnival's fault ? I don't mean someone falling over or a medical issue. I mean really a problem with the ship? I'm sure someone here probably knows this. I bet that number is not that different from any other line. Are there things that can and should be changed? Yes. Will those changes happen over night? Probably not, but I will continue to sail with Carnival or any other line that has a vacation that fits my families needs.

The media is board and right now and Carnival is the new target, but anyone with reasonable intelligence will see these news stories and realize that only the negative items are ever shown. How about the positive side? I was not on any of the ships that had issues last month and know I can never understand what those people went through, but every one came home. People showed that they can work together and set aside differences when they are confronted with things that are beyond there control. Where's that story?

Seems to bring up a lot of perfectly good points.

Carnival pays virtually no taxes on its profits thanks to tax loopholes and tax havens.

Carnival has had a run of minor to serious accidents, and one major disaster, in a short period of time, which is unacceptable.

Carnival utilizes an exceptionally high percentage of U.S. Coast Guard emergency services (compared to the rest of the cruise industry), apparently for free despite the cost of millions to U.S. taxpayers.

Carnival's Micky Arison has not seen fit to visit the scene of any serious accidents.

It's ridiculous and small-minded to attack any news report that says something we might not like to hear.

Agree totally!!! the comment about the Dream was that it had been without power... which is totally not true.... power may have been turned off intentionally to try to repair the secondary generator but it was only off for a couple of hours at most... Carnival was being proactive with ensuring the safety of all on board by not continuing with that trip... it wasnt that they couldnt have or that they were completely broken down, they chose safety over risk which is very commendable... they could have chosen not to tell any of the passengers that the backup generator was down, they could have continued with the trip because it was not very likely that the primary generator would have had any problems... Carnival would have saved themselves a great deal of money by continuing with the trip in all actuality.. but Carnival chose not to do that.. They were honest at their expense!! Because of this I will back Carnival up 100% Where are all the reports of the good that Carnival does? I have only had one cruise in my entire life and it was with Carnival just recently ... yes there were some down sides but they were nothing that would keep me from cruising with Carnival again in the future because the good FAR outweighed any of the bad!!

It Carnival Corp paid more taxes than the law requires, they would be in breech of their financial responsibility to it's stockholders. (including me)

Tax avoidance is perfectly acceptable for everyone -- tax evasion is illegal and that does not seem to be the case. How many of us pass taking a legitimate deduction in order to increase our taxes? :confused:

We pay for all of the Coast Guard rescues -- I suspect they spend more time and money on searching and rescuing recreational boaters than cruise ships. I admit -- this is just a total guess.

I did think the program was very well done (yes I am prepared to be slammed for saying that) Personally we have cruised Carnival many times and have been satisfied except for the last time in October when we did notice a decline in many areas. I think the program brought to light that certain areas need to be reviewed along with management. I'm sure other cruise lines experience problems too The most disheartening thing is their PR. Some persons feel they not dare roam from Carnival they are so loyal beyond belief, they feel Carnival cannot be faulted I think for fear of what certain Carnival PR persons would think. That is what is sad as they refuse to think there are ever any problems. Hopefully Carnival is addressing their current problems and will continue to function as a leader in the economy travel area.

I'm with you 100%

Boy, if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. I am absolutely certain the distinguished Senator Harrison uses every loophole he can to avoid the majority of his tax burden.

Carnival is doing the same as every other cruiseline, the same as every othe major company in or outside the U.S....and every single individual......and that's to do everything within their means............legally......to avoid paying taxes. So why single out Carnival? Shall we look into Senator Harrison's tax history?

90 issues in the 5 years? Get real. How many have the other cruiselines had in the last 5 years? We all know the Coast Guard is notified every time someone needs to be evacuated off a ship...I'm sure this is part of the "90" they are counting . Lets compare apples to apples here guys..............Besides THE LAW SAYS the cruiseline HAS to contact the Coast Guard in certain situations.

Mr. Harrison, if you don't like it, then change the law.

...and if you knew this attorneys' background, the one in the segment, he's been after Carnival for a long time, in many diferent circustances.

I call BS to the whole Segment!

The mainstream media has declared war on Carnival. Doesn't matter what Carnival does now the media will blast them. They are in the classic "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situation.

So Sen Rockefeller condemns Carnival for taking advantage of tax loopholes. Wonder how many loopholes HE takes advantage of. And all the senators and congressmen. Anyone really think Congress is going to close loopholes???

Carnival pays virtually no taxes on its profits thanks to tax loopholes and tax havens.

Carnival has had a run of minor to serious accidents, and one major disaster, in a short period of time, which is unacceptable.

Carnival utilizes an exceptionally high percentage of U.S. Coast Guard emergency services (compared to the rest of the cruise industry), apparently for free despite the cost of millions to U.S. taxpayers.

Carnival's Micky Arison has not seen fit to visit the scene of any serious accidents.

It's ridiculous and small-minded to attack any news report that says something we might not like to hear.

You are exactly right. If people pay attention to the story instead of getting all bent out of shape they will notice these points and what I found interesting was that Micky Arison would not go on to defend his actions, or lack thereof, or defend his company.

... and what I found interesting was that Micky Arison

would not go on to defend his actions, or lack thereof, or defend his company.

Mr. Arison doesn't have to or need to defend his actions

since everything he's done is entirely legal

and I'm sure his corporate lawyers have advised him thusly!

Once he's within the bounds of current Law he is cool, baby! :)

This sums it up pretty well.

It is what it is.

Carnival does not require me to try to defend them.

They sell me a boat ride and I know full well that they are not my best friend.

I do find it offensive that Carnival is required to pay so little in tax.

But the thought that the powers that be seem to come down hard on companies that cater to the middle class while those that cater to the rich don't seem to be discussed as often.

I did not care for the statement that customers of Carnival do not want to pay more that they have to.

We are the "little people" and we just want to be able to buy a relatively inexpensive trip to relax for a few days.

I felt like the guy was trying to say how dare we want to do something that used to be available only to the rich.

Congress will do what whatever the folks making the donations want them to do.

But whatever it is Carnival has really brought it down upon themselves.

We'll wait and see.

Archived