Carnival please give us something NEW

DUCHESSRN

[quote name='Tapi']I don't think St. Bart's is interested in the "Carnival" crowd. They are interested in the "Regent", "Silversea" or "Seabourn" crowd. They'd rather have a handful of affluent visitors, each spending thousands of dollars, rather than thousands of bargain seeking guests shopping for $5 T-shirts.

No offense, but there's a reason why the rich and famous flock to St. Bart's.[/QUOTE]

I'm not offended. I know why CCL does not go there. But that is exactly why I want them to. I would not set foot on St. Barts otherwise as I know for a fact Regent and Sliversea are way out of budget for me. I know nothing about Seabourn.

[quote name='vigurl']Carnival USED to do Guadalupe and pulled out after NUMEROUS poor treatment to the passengers by locals. I was one that did that route on CCL and complained. [B]Carnival has not done St. Croix since the 80's or 90's if my memory serves me correct. [/B]

And I am considering MSC![/QUOTE]

Supposedly, Carnival pulled out of St. Croix because of drug problems (according to Carnival). According to the powers that be in St. Croix, it was because Carnival wanted to build their own dock, along with the cruise ship "mall", and St. Croix said no. (I did a lot of research on St. Croix last year, when my daughter was seriously considering moving there!)

I guess I see things a bit differently, it wasn't too long ago that going out of NOLA(which is the nearest home port for me) for a 7 day only gave me the option of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozy. Now I have three options when I sail on a 7 day. I do understand where some of the East Coast Cruisers feel like they are limited.

I would like to point out one thing that while some are upset with where the cruises go now and lack of variety, you are seasoned cruisers and there a lot of new cruisers who haven't been to the same ports and it is a new experience for them. So Carnival must appeal to the masses while this sucks for seasoned cruisers it makes sense for Carnival.

So, for all my statements about never getting the SO off a Carnival ship, I booked a Celebrity cruise for us today. Neither of us like the itinerary, but we liked the price and the company (our friends, not Celebrity). :D

Key West and Cozumel, here we come (again)!:p

[quote name='vigurl']You absolutely cannot take the ferry from STB to STX and visa versa for a cruise stop. That is over 4 hours each way and that ferry is not daily or even weekly for that matter.

Grenada is beautiful I may have to take RCCL there.[/quote]
•[B]The duration of the crossing is 70 minutes exactly[/B]and that isnt even the high speed one
[URL]http://www.sbhonline.com/St-Barts-Transportation/St-Barts-Ferry-Schedules.htm[/URL]

[quote name='DUCHESSRN']I feel the delay in posting schedules is frustrating , most of the other lines at least have Alaska 2014 out . Either we have something new and fun in the works or the delay is hurting bookings I am sure .
[/quote]

I have been waiting on them to publish the Alaska 2014 schedules, everyone else has had theirs out for weeks. I gave up and went with NCL. I'm sure I'll enjoy the cruise, but I would have gone with Carnival as a past guest.

[quote name='chrislynnet']I have been waiting on them to publish the Alaska 2014 schedules, everyone else has had theirs out for weeks. I gave up and went with NCL. I'm sure I'll enjoy the cruise, but I would have gone with Carnival as a past guest.[/QUOTE]

I'm holding out for the Med! JH says by the 21st. We've priced both NCL and RCCL and are hoping that Carnival will be a bit more friendly :)

[quote name='jimbo5544']Not quite sure where to start. Carnival has a ship in Australia. Carnival has two ships in Europe - one southern, the other northern. Carnival just sailed a ship around South America. Where else would you like them to go?[/QUOTE]

As someone who also thinks Carnival needs to greatly diversify its destinations, I was going to wait to see what everyone else said before adding my comments, but I can't let this pass.

Yes, Carnival has a ship in Australia. That's a great start.

Okay, where else to start--maybe a year-round ship in Europe. It could be done, and they could diversify the ports a little more during the colder winter months and maybe go to Tunisia and Morocco. Carnival's around South America was a one-off cruise. Maybe they should have this a continuing cruise.

Islands in the Caribbean--there are more islands in the Caribbean that Carnival doesn't go than they do go to. There are countries in South America that I would go to--Venezuela and Columbia, for instance. Carnival used to have regular cruises to Panama and Costa Rica. They could go to Guatemala.

Let's take on the Canadian cruises. I think Carnival only has cruises to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec are also doable by cruise ship, why doesn't Carnival go there? And we could also throw in the French territory of Miquelon as well.

So yes, Carnival could greatly diversify their offerings greatly. I'm also of the opinion that there could be very few Carnival cruises ahead of me--not because I don't like them, but because they just don't have the diversity of places I want to get to. Cruising is great, but I want to see the most number of places that I can. If Carnival won't get me there, other lines will.

[quote name='jwalk03']Labadee is just another RCCL private island,
[/QUOTE]

You mean "private resort." Labadee is on the same island as the rest of Haiti, but RCI strictly regulates the itinerary offerings there, and I think it's practically impossible to be able to get out and explore the country.

[quote name='kingoftheicedragons']As someone who also thinks Carnival needs to greatly diversify its destinations, I was going to wait to see what everyone else said before adding my comments, but I can't let this pass.

Yes, Carnival has a ship in Australia. That's a great start.

Okay, where else to start--maybe a year-round ship in Europe. It could be done, and they could diversify the ports a little more during the colder winter months and maybe go to Tunisia and Morocco. Carnival's around South America was a one-off cruise. Maybe they should have this a continuing cruise.

Islands in the Caribbean--there are more islands in the Caribbean that Carnival doesn't go than they do go to. There are countries in South America that I would go to--Venezuela and Columbia, for instance. Carnival used to have regular cruises to Panama and Costa Rica. They could go to Guatemala.

Let's take on the Canadian cruises. I think Carnival only has cruises to Nova Scotia and New Brunswick. Newfoundland, Prince Edward Island, and Quebec are also doable by cruise ship, why doesn't Carnival go there? And we could also throw in the French territory of Miquelon as well.

So yes, Carnival could greatly diversify their offerings greatly. I'm also of the opinion that there could be very few Carnival cruises ahead of me--not because I don't like them, but because they just don't have the diversity of places I want to get to. Cruising is great, but I want to see the most number of places that I can. If Carnival won't get me there, other lines will.[/QUOTE]
Nice post! Carnival is a mass client cruiseline. HAL sometimes takes a ship and does the things you suggest. I don't ever think Carnival will do that. It just does not fit their mold. They have a hard enough time filling med ships now. I wish they did have more options there. They have cut past routes back because nobody goes. Mostly airfare related.

A while back, they told a group of TA's that they were looking into more south American ports and even possibly having a Mexico home port. Obviously that has not occurred. I guess my main point of my past reply is that they have expanded their options in the recent past. The success or lack there of will determine whether will continue or further expand.

Love you nickname btw

[quote name='jimbo5544']
Love you nickname btw[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I realize that there needs to be a demand for Carnival to go to a port of call, and some ports, the demand is so light that one or two lines going there is probably enough. I do realize that Carnival is marketing itself more towards newer cruisers who want to go to more common destinations like Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Aruba, USVI, etc., whereas now after seven cruises I am more into the more "exotic" ports, or places that just aren't that common or known by everyone.

But I think Carnival could make new cruisers and more seasoned cruisers happy. Like has been mentioned, you could have two southern itineraries out of San Juan, even on one ship, by alternating routes. These alternating routes could even call on some of the same ports but also offer enough different ports.

[quote name='kingoftheicedragons']Thanks.

I realize that there needs to be a demand for Carnival to go to a port of call, and some ports, the demand is so light that one or two lines going there is probably enough. I do realize that Carnival is marketing itself more towards newer cruisers who want to go to more common destinations like Cozumel, Grand Cayman, Jamaica, Aruba, USVI, etc., whereas now after seven cruises I am more into the more "exotic" ports, or places that just aren't that common or known by everyone.

But I think Carnival could make new cruisers and more seasoned cruisers happy. Like has been mentioned, you could have two southern itineraries out of San Juan, even on one ship, by alternating routes. These alternating routes could even call on some of the same ports but also offer enough different ports.[/QUOTE]

I agree regarding their plan on new cruisers. Also agree that they could focus more on past cruisers. We actually have a greeat contact and friend who is the eastern area VP. Send over ideas and I can funnel them up. He is always looking for feedback.

[quote name='yogimax']Forget about something new Carnival!

Just get something RIGHT - like ship maintenance

Just get back to a decent loyalty program, mediocre food and professional entertainment

Seriously... Carnival has declined so much in the last couple of years... Just get us back to where we were![/quote]
totally agree

Also- Carnival and other mass market lines want to steer their entry level cruisers into BS ports like Grand Turk, which aren't even ports per se. There are now probably ten non-port ports if you add up the Labadees, HMCs, GSCs, etc etc. They make money coming and going that way and cruisers are satisfied with a beach.

HAL Veendam has a Canada-New England itinerary that cruises the St. Lawrence Seaway and visits Quebec City for three days. Maasdam, too. They can do this because they are smaller ships and they charge for it. That's where Carnival cruisers go to.... Spend their money when they get older and have more time ;).

I love GSC, can't speak for HMC as I am 0 for 3 there, and GT- gimme a break. Give me a real port. Give me Cozumel instead. And Carnival- what could you give me if you took Progreso out? :eek:

I have cruised with Carnival numerous times. I have been to Cozumel, Progresso, Costa Maya, Key West, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Belize, Roatan, Grand Caymen, Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten/Martin, Martinique, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Domincan Republic, Dominica, Aruba, Antigua, and Guadeloupe. Many of those islands were on alternating cruises out of San Juan.
I do agree that they need to add some of these back to their itineraries.
Right now, it is the same ole, same ole. You may get different ships, but basically the same itineraries. I would like to see them change it up a bit. I like to book by the itinerary, but have to admit, the next cruise is basically to be on a ship, any ship, for 5 days, with decent beaches.
My favorite itinerary that I have been on was a 7 day to St. thomas, St. maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Martinique, leaving out of San Juan. Very port heavy, but had a blast and saw so many different Carribbean islands that I never would have gotten to if I hadn't cruised.
The best entertainment on the Carnival ships, was when they added the asian bands, such as Music Society. I wish they would add them back. This is one of the biggest disappointments I have seen with them.

[quote name='VolzCruiser']I guess I see things a bit differently, it wasn't too long ago that going out of NOLA(which is the nearest home port for me) for a 7 day only gave me the option of Montego Bay, Grand Cayman, and Cozy. Now I have three options when I sail on a 7 day. I do understand where some of the East Coast Cruisers feel like they are limited.

I would like to point out one thing that while some are upset with where the cruises go now and lack of variety, you are seasoned cruisers and there a lot of new cruisers who haven't been to the same ports and it is a new experience for them. So Carnival must appeal to the masses while this sucks for seasoned cruisers it makes sense for Carnival.[/quote]
I am a "seasoned" cruiser. My first two cruises were 4 dayers. My third cruise was out of San Juan, visiting 6 southern ports, including San Juan, as they don't depart until 10pm. I was not a seasoned cruiser then, but will tell you now, that this was THE cruise that got me totally hooked.:) Also, the great dining, which is now just okay, the Caribbean feel of the whole thing, which is now DJ by the pool, feeling like a club. No big screens, I can watch a movie at home. I remember being docked next to a Princess ship when they had added their big screens. I laughed, and thought, I am so glad Carnival doesn't have those goofy things, this is a CRUISE, and now well , another downgrade in my opinion..

[quote name='cruzn buckeye']I have cruised with Carnival numerous times. I have been to Cozumel, Progresso, Costa Maya, Key West, Ocho Rios Jamaica, Belize, Roatan, Grand Caymen, Nassau, Freeport, Half Moon Cay, San Juan, St. Thomas, St. Maarten/Martin, Martinique, Grenada, Barbados, St. Lucia, Domincan Republic, Dominica, Aruba, Antigua, and Guadeloupe. Many of those islands were on alternating cruises out of San Juan.
I do agree that they need to add some of these back to their itineraries.
Right now, it is the same ole, same ole. You may get different ships, but basically the same itineraries. I would like to see them change it up a bit. I like to book by the itinerary, but have to admit, the next cruise is basically to be on a ship, any ship, for 5 days, with decent beaches.
My favorite itinerary that I have been on was a 7 day to St. thomas, St. maarten, Barbados, St. Lucia, and Martinique, leaving out of San Juan. Very port heavy, but had a blast and saw so many different Carribbean islands that I never would have gotten to if I hadn't cruised.
The best entertainment on the Carnival ships, was when they added the asian bands, such as Music Society. I wish they would add them back. This is one of the biggest disappointments I have seen with them.[/QUOTE]

Two things, though:

1. All Carnival ships within a class are almost indistinguishable, let's get real.

2. Flying to San Juan adds a lot of $$ and logistical PITA on to the trip.

Agreed, though. Get me on a ship.

[quote name='jwalk03'][COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]I agree that a little more variety would be nice. It just seems like having multiple ships doing the exact same itinerary does not make much sense. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=black][FONT=Verdana]Hopefully the new port Carnival is developing in the DR will spice things up at least a little bit.[/FONT][/COLOR][/quote]

All of the ports that I can reasonably drive to have cruises that go to exactly the same ports.

I don't know about DR.

DH and I were there on a RC cruise 30 years ago.
The place was beautiful, but the desperation of the people was intense.
You could not leave the port area without a "guide" to keep the locals off of you.
Pathetic begging children and aggressive adults.
When someone offered to sell us a baby we decided that we had had enough.
Many passengers did not like the port stop.
I know that it has been a long time since I was there, but I just don't know.

I would like for them to perhaps stay longer in certain ports.
Maybe on a five day just have one port stop, but stay in port longer or maybe overnight.

[quote name='Seago2']2. Flying to San Juan adds a lot of $$ and logistical PITA on to the trip.[/QUOTE]Coming from MN, there isn't a huge price difference between flying to Miami or flying to San Juan. Plus, the ship leaves port so late that I can fly in the day of, saving me hotel and meal costs.

[quote name='Seago2']Also- Carnival and other mass market lines want to steer their entry level

HAL Veendam has a Canada-New England itinerary that cruises the St. Lawrence Seaway and visits Quebec City for three days. Maasdam, too. They can do this because they are smaller ships and they charge for it. That's where Carnival cruisers go to.... Spend their money when they get older and have more time ;).

[/QUOTE]

Carnival tried this a few years ago as a 7 day. Apparently, it wasn't filling quick enough, because they disappeared and was replaced with the 4 and 5 day

[quote name='Seago2']Two things, though:

1. All Carnival ships within a class are almost indistinguishable, let's get real.

2. Flying to San Juan adds a lot of $$ and logistical PITA on to the trip.

Agreed, though. Get me on a ship.[/quote]
Agree, ships within a class are very alike, just as with the other cruise lines. Except for decor of course.

While flying to San Juan adds $$, many times the cost of the cruise itself is lower, therefore evening out at bit...

if they can do 8 day cruises out of FLL and hit Aruba and Curaceo, they could also do 8 days out of FLL or Miami, and stop at the ports that I listed.

[quote name='jonbgd']•[B]The duration of the crossing is 70 minutes exactly[/B]and that isnt even the high speed one
[URL]http://www.sbhonline.com/St-Barts-Transportation/St-Barts-Ferry-Schedules.htm[/URL][/QUOTE]

Um no. STX = ST. CROIX

[quote name='jimbo5544'][B][U]Curacao is new to them[/U][/B]. Aruba had been cutback to limited trips due to (I assume) fuel costs. They have begun to start going back to Aruba more frequently.[/quote]

Curacao is new to whom? We went there in 2010 on Miracle.

I wish they'd go to St. Lucia & St. Kitts [B][U]without[/U][/B] having to go out of San Juan. Loved the cruise we went on that had St. Martins, St. Lucia, & St. Kitts. We sailed out of Port Everglades Or Miami. Don't remember which one.

Archived