Regent Flights - with and without deviation

Travelcat2

On 5/7/2024 at 6:16 PM, Lonedaddy said:

The delay issue is why you deviate.  I always leave extra time between connections to an international flight just more lounge time which is easy.    If you fly to a Schengen country (which is different from the EU) from a non-Schengen, you go through passport control on arrival and then through the security again at least a every Schengen country and LHR I've been to.  It is a preference for me to connect in the US and upon arrival after the longer leg, I'm finished and can go to the hotel.  

We have always paid to deviate on all of our Regent cruises because we don't like to wait until the last minute for our flights. And when booked, there was always a comfortable amount of time between flights. But after a few flight changes made by the airlines (which we questioned through Regent) the time became too short to make the connection. On our last trip, the connection time became too long. In fact, we were moved to a later flight, when there was still room on our original flight. We don't know why.  And then we found out we were in Business Lite instead of regular Business as we had been on our original flight, and had to pay for 6 hours of lounge access. We passed on paying for a second lounge access and wandered around the Doha Airport for 3 more hours. It is a very nice Airport for wandering.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

We have always paid to deviate on all of our Regent cruises because we don't like to wait until the last minute for our flights. And when booked, there was always a comfortable amount of time between flights. But after a few flight changes made by the airlines (which we questioned through Regent) the time became too short to make the connection. On our last trip, the connection time became too long. In fact, we were moved to a later flight, when there was still room on our original flight. We don't know why.  And then we found out we were in Business Lite instead of regular Business as we had been on our original flight, and had to pay for 6 hours of lounge access. We passed on paying for a second lounge access and wandered around the Doha Airport for 3 more hours. It is a very nice Airport for wandering.

Definitely better than jfk or phl 

On the same topic of stopovers, a general question on Regent Air Dept's 'policy/guidelines' for minimum stopover times? When returning to the USA from a foreign country, will they accommodate a reasonable/minimum stopover time in order to clear Customs before another connecting flight[s] to my final destination? Just looking to get myself ready for the discussion with Air Dept. for a flight back to USA from NZ in January. I am seeing less expensive flights but with 50 minute stopover at LAX, SFO, ORD, etc. Do I have to prepare to argue with them [if even fruitful] that these timings are not reasonable? Appreciate the help as this is our first RSSC cruiase!

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, TheShag said:

On the same topic of stopovers, a general question on Regent Air Dept's 'policy/guidelines' for minimum stopover times? When returning to the USA from a foreign country, will they accommodate a reasonable/minimum stopover time in order to clear Customs before another connecting flight[s] to my final destination? Just looking to get myself ready for the discussion with Air Dept. for a flight back to USA from NZ in January. I am seeing less expensive flights but with 50 minute stopover at LAX, SFO, ORD, etc. Do I have to prepare to argue with them [if even fruitful] that these timings are not reasonable? Appreciate the help as this is our first RSSC cruiase!

FYI each airport has minimum connect times which depends on international vs domestic and regent has to comply with those times or tickets cannot be issued. It is those times you need to look at snd if uncomfortable request a longer connect time flight. 

minimum connect times don’t always work depending on no flight delays. It is not regent connect times that are based on specific airport times to worry about 

• Thanks 1

On 5/7/2024 at 5:21 AM, papaflamingo said:

You can deviate NO MORE than 210 days prior to the cruise.  So you can call them today and deviate if you want.  Before you do so, research your flights and decide what you want.  Find as many options as possible and decide if it's worth any up charge.  Also if you fly in early via deviation you lose Regent transportation from the airport.  If you aren't in a Concierge or higher suite, Regent will fly you in to arrive the day of the cruise. That is WAY to close for my comfort so I always deviate to go a few days early and enjoy the departure city.  And Rome is a city you can spend weeks in without seeing everything!  

When you call, you'll be charged a single $75.  That will be included in one of the $175 per person deviation fees if you accept deviation.  So you only pay a total of $175 pp to deviate (plus any up charge if required).

When you talk to the agent, be prepared to present your requested flights and see if they can do it.  It helps to have as many possibilities as you can.  Regent has contract rates on most airlines, but not all flights.  And non-stops are getting harder to find for contract rates (no up charge) due to airline pricing.  Look for flights that have 2 business class fares shown, i.e. on refundable and a lower one non-refundable.  It's more likely that they'll have contract rates on those. Also you can kind of get a feel by pricing and see which flights are cheapest.  If the flight you want isn't available for contract rates, they may offer it at an up charge.  You need to decide if it's worth it or look for another option.  

Also, if you have a domestic leg, they will be able to tell you if that leg is in first class or not.  Only Intercontinental flights are business class, but if an airlines tickets it straight through, it'll include first class domestic. AND if a U.S carrier, you can have the agent select your seats if you find a flight you want.  BUT you still have to agree via an email they'll send out within 48 hours to secure the deviation.  So be sure your TA knows as the email will likely be sent to them.  

One more thing to consider.  If you use a foreign carrier and connect in Europe, the second flight will likely be in a single class airplane with the middle seats blocked out. That's their version of "first class" or "business class" when intra-Europe. Also if ever connecting in Asia be sure the second leg includes first or business. I looked at a flight via Delta to Hong Kong connecting in Inchon, but the 4 hour leg from Inchon to Hong Kong would have been in coach!  So I always do my best to try and connect at a U.S. hub rather than a foreign hub. 

@papaflamingo - Thank you for the detailed explanation of how I should approach air deviations.

We are at 120 days out right now - will they know what flights that would be included for us at this point? (We're in a Horizon Suite so business class and a night in a hotel precruise are included)

2 hours ago, chamima said:

@papaflamingo - Thank you for the detailed explanation of how I should approach air deviations.

We are at 120 days out right now - will they know what flights that would be included for us at this point? (We're in a Horizon Suite so business class and a night in a hotel precruise are included)

If you deviate the can give you options but you should be prepared with requests as many as would work for you in order.  While nobody wants to throw money away it is worth the deviation fee to get it sorted out and get seats now.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, chamima said:

My experience with deviation is that if my requested flight is not available for contract rates (no up charge) then I can ask if they can give me an idea of what I can book for no up charge.  I did exactly this for my last cruise when I wanted to get the non-stop from Tokyo to Atlanta.  It had a $1000 per person up charge.  My "free" alternative would have been Japan Airlines in business class from Tokyo to Boston then JetBlue in coach from Boston to Atlanta.  I decided to pay the up charge and was very glad I did.  I DID check pricing on Delta via my employee discount, and even with the up charge it was STILL over $1000 pp cheaper through Regent.  So... you just need to evaluate the options and decide if any up charge is worth it to you or not. 

As to what flights they'll assign at the 60-75 day mark (I think that's when flights come out, but not sure), I'm not sure if they will tell you.  But if it's available at 120 days it'll likely be a good indicator of what to expect, like my Tokyo-Atlanta routing.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

If we do same day air deviation do we lose the "free" transportation from the airport and the one night's hotel? (Haven't been to Europe in about 50 years so I really appreciate not having to arrange this)

Edited by chamima

4 hours ago, chamima said:

If we do same day air deviation do we lose the "free" transportation from the airport and the one night's hotel? (Haven't been to Europe in about 50 years so I really appreciate not having to arrange this)

No but if you go a day earlier and do not get an extra night at the regent hotel you would lose it.  Depends on what city it is in some transports are inexpensive and easy to book.  

• Like 1

Need help from experienced Regent cruisers.

We are booked on our first Regent Cruise departing Sept 22. for around the UK.We naively thought with the business class air that all would be taken care of, with no worries to us. After reading these boards, I see we need to be more proactive.

What I would like to do is deviate the air, and fly leaving PDX on the 20th. My Husband has always wanted to see the Victory in Portsmouth. My thought is to fly into London,take the next day to take the train to Portsmouth to see the historical ships.Take the train back to London, spend the night, and then the next morning,probably use a car service to take us to Southampton to board the ship.I don't want to mess with the baggage by going on the train.

I have been looking at flight schedules and either the connections are way too short, or we would have to fly clear across the US in economy. I am beginning to wonder if all this is worth all the added stress and work. It is too late to bring a travel agent onboard.

I have traveled all over the world, and almost all were planned by myself, and all have turned out great. But this trip is very expensive,and my Husband and myself have not gone together for 10 years, and we aren't getting any younger.

Anyone have any suggestions who have done this before? thank you so much for all your knowledge and help!

26 minutes ago, Oregonangelwings said:

My Husband has always wanted to see the Victory in Portsmouth.

Note that HMS Victory is presently undergoing a major refurbishment and is encased in scaffolding.

https://www.royalnavy.mod.uk/news-and-latest-activity/news/2023/october/20/20231020-hms-victory-restoration

https://historicdockyard.co.uk/discover/hms-victory/

Still plenty to do & see at the Portsmouth Historic Dockyard, but didn't want you to be disappointed by not being able to see HMS Victory at her best.

Well you probably need to fly a day earlier in the 19th arrive London 20th travel to Portsmouth on 21st and board 22nd 

May be too late to deviate as that starts 210 days prior to embarkation  generally if available and you fly on same airline you get first class domestically but again may be too late. 

suggest you pay the $75 to talk to regent sir and see what they can do for you as pretty sure would cost you more than the regent sir credit. Likely best to deviate and pay what you likely will for this deviation and hope for first domestically or perhaps drive to Seattle a regent gateway and fly to London non stop. Not too long a drive to Seatsc. 

2 hours ago, Oregonangelwings said:

Need help from experienced Regent cruisers.

We are booked on our first Regent Cruise departing Sept 22. for around the UK.We naively thought with the business class air that all would be taken care of, with no worries to us. After reading these boards, I see we need to be more proactive.

What I would like to do is deviate the air, and fly leaving PDX on the 20th. My Husband has always wanted to see the Victory in Portsmouth. My thought is to fly into London,take the next day to take the train to Portsmouth to see the historical ships.Take the train back to London, spend the night, and then the next morning,probably use a car service to take us to Southampton to board the ship.I don't want to mess with the baggage by going on the train.

I have been looking at flight schedules and either the connections are way too short, or we would have to fly clear across the US in economy. I am beginning to wonder if all this is worth all the added stress and work. It is too late to bring a travel agent onboard.

I have traveled all over the world, and almost all were planned by myself, and all have turned out great. But this trip is very expensive,and my Husband and myself have not gone together for 10 years, and we aren't getting any younger.

Anyone have any suggestions who have done this before? thank you so much for all your knowledge and help!

BA (266)  has a PDX LHR Non stop or as rallydave suggests drive to sea-tac (2 1/2hrs) and fly form there.  Do you have a room included the night before on regent and transfers?  I'm not sure if it's worth the trips back and forth since Portsmouth is so close to Southampton, you may want to just spend the night in Portsmouth or SH.      If Portsmouth you can easily get a cab or uber to South Hampton about 30-40 minutes on the morning of the 22nd.   

Also have you looked at post cruise going to portsmouth ?  

I want to thank everyone on here and especially @papaflamingo who coached me on how to book flights with Regent Air.

I called this morning and was able to book our flights. Outbound non stop DTW-Rome , my  first choice , which was $7000 more than the one stop flights when booking with the airlines, was only  $600/pp extra.

(Interestingly, my second choice, which was a one stop, was $900/pp extra).

Flight home wasn't on my list of choices but works fine, other than the tiny puddle jumper from Montreal to DTW. The time and length of flight were the same as my original choices.

However, I was so excited to get that non stop that I didn't check my itinerary carefully enough before I confirmed. On second check I realized that the agent had booked us on the wrong day! 😨

So a second phone call to Regent Air was needed to fix things but the second agent was even nicer and added our frequent flier numbers and got us our preferred seats.

So, again, thank you to everyone on here for your wonderful advice.

And now I'll add my own - check, check ,double check and triple check before you send that confirmation back!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, chamima said:

And now I'll add my own - check, check ,double check and triple check before you send that confirmation back!

And do check your flight on the airline page(s) in case there is a schedule,  equipment change and/or they changed your seats.

Glad it worked out for you.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If interested in maritime history then a visit to Portsmouth is certainly worth it.

But it is barely 20 miles between Portsmouth and Southampton, whereas it is 75 from London to Portsmouth.  Unless you have other plans for London, you're spending a lot of time on travel that you don't need to.

Go direct from Heathrow to Portsmouth.  Have plenty of time there.  Stay overnight then the short hop to Southampton the next day.

15 hours ago, Lonedaddy said:

And do check your flight on the airline page(s) in case there is a schedule,  equipment change and/or they changed your seats.

Glad it worked out for you.  

Thanks @Lonedaddy - Unfortunately need to do that on ALL flights - no matter how they're booked.

We just flew to St. Thomas (which I booked myself only about 4 months in advance) and that flight schedule must have changed 5 or 6 times between booking and actual flight.

Hello from the Texas Hill Country.  I have some questions about booking airfare with Regent (or not) BUT firstly I cannot figure out if I can have  the most recent postings come up first instead of last.  I hope my question is clear - any suggestions?

40 minutes ago, Texas Duck said:

Hello from the Texas Hill Country.  I have some questions about booking airfare with Regent (or not) BUT firstly I cannot figure out if I can have  the most recent postings come up first instead of last.  I hope my question is clear - any suggestions?

Simply look at the posts which have how long ago the post was made which will tell you the order 

as far as air it is automatically included with regent. If you don’t want regent air you will get fare credit and then your responsibility. 

Hi,

Hopefully this helps some folks through the Air Dev process ...

We're Regent newbies booked on the Oslo-London sail 9/3/24. We did an Air Dev with Regent and our TA. We decided to do an early Dev for two reasons:

1.) Outbound flying on Labor Day weekend in the US 

2.)  We live in Raleigh, NC and RDU has flights on Icelandic Air to Oslo which connect in Reykjavik that offer Business Class at a very attractive price but don't have lie flat seating. We wanted to avoid this.

We pretty much followed the process outlined in this thread:

1.) We provided our TA with a list of eight different itineraries that we wanted to consider (flight numbers, times, airports).   We built these itineraries to arrive Oslo in the AM (we have one night pre cruise/Concierge) with generous connection times. Our departure from London was timed to be early afternoon to avoid having to leave the ship  at 4AM.

2.) For $75 Regent responded with notes on those itineraries - either "OK, no upcharge" or "OK, but an $xxx upcharge", or "Regent cannot book this- out of contract").  Regent also provided an itinerary on Delta/SAS on the outbound leg that we hadn't put on our list as an option (no upcharge). The interesting thing (I'm sure due to Regent/Airline contracts) was that the airline online website pricing  was not indicative of which flight would be "free" vs an upcharge. As an example, the Delta Business fares were roughly $2k more that the United fares in the online pricing but Regent didn't charge more for Delta. So there's no harm in trying  ...

3.) After you get the response from Regent you have 72 hours to choose from the options provided. If you choose one of the deviation options you then pay $175 per person for the Air Dev with the initial $75 charge applied as a credit to your Air Dev total. So the total Air Dev cost is $350 for two (assuming you choose flights w/o an upcharge).

4.)  Now you have another decision - Early Ticketing or not.  We elected Early Ticketing primarily because we wanted to reserve seat assignments on SAS. SAS is an interesting creature ... they're just exiting Chapter 11 bankruptcy, changing  from Star Alliance to Sky Team on 9/1/24 and, well, charging extra ($100 +/- per seat) for advance Business Class seat assignments (we knew this before booking).  

All in all, I thought Regent was fair and reasonable through the process. Business class fares are crazy these days and when I priced the routing we picked it would have been in the $10k range (per person) to book ourselves. 

Frank

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Texas Duck said:

Go into your cruise critic account and select “Account Settings.“ Then select “Content View Behavior.“ Finally, select the option that reads: “Take me to comments I haven't read.” Now when you open a thread, the system will automatically jump to the first unread message unless the first unread message is preceded by one or more photographs in which case, the system jumps to the photos after they are loaded. I wish Cruise Critic would fix this bug.

Dave

This is our first Regent cruise.

It was my impression that we got transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruiseport included with our cruise (we are in a Horizon Suite so the one night pre cruise hotel is included).

We took an air deviation to get a more convenient flight but it's still the same day as the non deviated flight would have been.

Is the transportation still included?

2 hours ago, chamima said:

This is our first Regent cruise.

It was my impression that we got transportation from the airport to the hotel and from the hotel to the cruiseport included with our cruise (we are in a Horizon Suite so the one night pre cruise hotel is included).

We took an air deviation to get a more convenient flight but it's still the same day as the non deviated flight would have been.

Is the transportation still included?

I’ve asked our TA to confirm this very question. The Regent Air Dev itinerary we have states this :

”Complimentary transfers are only offered to and from the airport/ship in conjunction with the air program on the day of the ships embarkation/disembarkation.”

Perhaps this is to cover Regent from responsibilities to transport folks who Air Dev to create their own pre/post. 
One would “think” that folks with a Regent provided pre are covered for transport from airport to hotel to pier but thinking often gets me in trouble ,,,,

• Thanks 1

I am prepping for my '210 day' phone call with RSSC Air. Is it fair/safe to assume that no Delta flights are to be considered [I seem to remember a while back that they no longer sold tickets to RSSC]? Thanks experts!