Seeing Dr on cruise?

kramonas

ok heres the situation... this is a pretty odd question, but it may work...

We are going on the imagination 5/20-25, my oldest daughter is graduating high school this year, and because of the cruise, she will be missing one of the three rehearsals (it was moved just 2 weeks ago). The school is being dead-fast on her NOT being able to go to the graduation because of missing it.

Apparently the only excuse is a Dr. note.

So lets say, on that rehearsal day while at sea, she happens to get an ear ache or something and visits the ships doctor...

Will the Dr give a note, or will there be any official paperwork for that visit?

Nowhere in the schools policy does it dictate the Dr has to be local.

I know the answer for you but I dislike that your daughter is told she can't attend graduation because of spending time with family. We just went threw a similar thing. We went away on SCHOOL vacation week and our son missed 1 freshman baseball game. The coach said if he was lucky he is only missing 1 game other wise he would have told him to hand in his uniform. Really?! His has had ANY playing time. My husband and I are self employees in a seasonal business. We own a swimming pool store so we don't go any where during summer school break.

Unreal!

Sorry for the vent

Danielle

Three rehearsals? Sounds overboard. All the schools I've been associated with had one, about 2-3 hours long. Sounds like an administrator a bit ODD.

You'll have a bill from the DR. Will that work?

My schools concerns would be about the student skipping class.

I know the answer for you but I dislike that your daughter is told she can't attend graduation because of spending time with family. We just went threw a similar thing. We went away on SCHOOL vacation week and our son missed 1 freshman baseball game. The coach said if he was lucky he is only missing 1 game other wise he would have told him to hand in his uniform. Really?! His has had ANY playing time. My husband and I are self employees in a seasonal business. We own a swimming pool store so we don't go any where during summer school break.

Unreal!

Sorry for the vent

Danielle

Actually that is fairly standard for most teams in the high schools I know. It is also often true for any group that performs in any way. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I doubt that this is going to work. Don't think the school is going to fall for it. Of course you can always try it.

How does your daughter feel about going on the cruise? Perhaps she would rather stay with family or friends so she can attend the school functions required for her graduation.

We are going on the imagination 5/20-25, my oldest daughter is graduating high school this year, and because of the cruise, she will be missing one of the three rehearsals (it was moved just 2 weeks ago). The school is being dead-fast on her NOT being able to go to the graduation because of missing it.

So lets say, on that rehearsal day while at sea, she happens to get an ear ache or something and visits the ships doctor...

Will the Dr give a note, or will there be any official paperwork for that visit?

Some questions. Is this a school day, or is it a day your child does not need to attend school. Some schools with Seniors have several days between final exams and graduation. It sounds like you don't have school days, because if you did, I am assuming she would have exams. So correct me if I am wrong, that this trip is between the final exams, and the graduation ceremony?

A Doctor's note will have a letterhead, which might show it is on a cruise ship. Doubt it will work. Plus, what Doctor would lie?

So if you planned this cruise after checking that she would not be in school, have exams, or be required to show for classroom instruction and the practice is on a day that is not a required school day by the state you are in, you should have plenty of groungs to elevate this issue with your local school board. Everyone has a boss. Get all your facts together, and go beyond the school administrator. Get it in writing the policy, not just a verbal notice. Do you have an email or any other communication? The date of the practice was changed most likely to meet their schedule, not yours. It is a two way street. Schools do not like publicity. Contact a local TV station and newspaper with this. They love this type of story. Don't give up.

You might get away with it but perhaps it would be better to tell the school that the policy is unreasonable and that if they dont allow your daughter to attend her graduation you would consult a lawyer.

I agree. Three rehearsals is excessive and their policy is outrageous!!! the money you spend money on a ship doctor, you can consult a lawyer if they refuse to be reasonable.

here is what happened.

seniors were suppose to be done with school on 5/17, and return on 5/29 for the actual graduation.

There is a rehearsal in school on 5/22 (will miss), and another one on site on 5/28 (will be back for that one).

2 weeks ago, they changed it to extend exams into the week of 5/20 (however, this does not affect my daughter, hers are all the week before).

I am thinking about taking it higher up the chain.

We have the student handbook, there is no mention of this policy of withholding graduation because of missed practice, i don't know if there is any other printed policy on the senior stuff they sent home a couple months ago, trying to find it now.

In fact, a family vacation, IS AN EXCUSED ABSENCE according to published school policy. and under florida statute, they are required to allow a student to make-up academic material (so does graduation practice during school hours constitute "academic"?) when an absence is excused.

for a dr note, they dont have to lie, just state that she saw a doctor in his office on such and such a date. as a matter of fact, i have a note here for another one of our kids (who went to the DR yesterday), and thats all it says. because of HIPAA, thats all that is required.

You might get away with it but perhaps it would be better to tell the school that the policy is unreasonable and that if they dont allow your daughter to attend her graduation you would consult a lawyer.

I completely agree! Their policy is ridiculous.

Can you show someone at the school that you don't see it in the handbook and then show the date you purchased the cruise and the original dates for practice. Show them where you were within the time frame until they changed the rehearsal date and you have non-refundable travel arrangements. Worth a try.

I think the policy is ridiculous, but faking a medical problem is just as ridiculous in my opinion. Whether you choose to look at it as lying, is your choice. Maybe I am too much a goody two shoes or too old, but, to me, it sets an example for your teen that you can do whatever you want and lie about it and that's ok.

There has to be someone at the school who can give you the ok as the policy changed after you made your cruise reservations. Have you talked to the superintendent? Gone to the school board? I can't believe that no one has been in your situation so someone should be able to ok what you want to do. Good luck.

Actually that is fairly standard for most teams in the high schools I know. It is also often true for any group that performs in any way. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I could understand if it was during school time but it was a scheduled school break and the poor kid has been riding the bench. I just think the coaches remark was uncalled for.

Listen, there is no need to run up a huge bill going to see the ship doctor. I would call your (HER) family doctor and tell them the situation and simply ask for a doctors excuse for the day you need it. I would bet money they would be willing to give her the excuse. I give them out for less than this at my office all the time. If you cant speak directly to the provider, ask to speak the their Nurse.

I would think the most you would have to do is make an appointment to be seen by your family doctor for a "check up" / social visit and simply tell him or her whats going on... You will get the excuse.

:D

Charles

for a dr note, they dont have to lie, just state that she saw a doctor in his office on such and such a date. as a matter of fact, i have a note here for another one of our kids (who went to the DR yesterday), and thats all it says. because of HIPAA, thats all that is required.

The Doctor's note that you get from your local family practice or Doc in a box, won't be in a cruise ship infirmary.

People are already off school or work.

The doctor is going to give you the bill for services. ($150 for my Dad to get a simple cut looked at and a few antibiotics)

They just patch you up to get back home to your doctor.

Whatever note you would get from them would have Carnival all over it and give away that you went on your cruise anyway.

I would just do what you said about taking it above the Principal's head to the school board.

Bill

That's a great idea but what are you going to do when you go to the ship doc and they don't find anything wrong? Hard to write a note for nothing. Just my 2 cents.

Listen, there is no need to run up a huge bill going to see the ship doctor. I would call your (HER) family doctor and tell them the situation and simply ask for a doctors excuse for the day you need it. I would bet money they would be willing to give her the excuse. I give them out for less than this at my office all the time. If you cant speak directly to the provider, ask to speak the their Nurse.

I would think the most you would have to do is make an appointment to be seen by your family doctor for a "check up" / social visit and simply tell him or her whats going on... You will get the excuse.

:D

Charles

I have worked in a few doc's offices and they do not ever give a doctor's excuse unless you were actually seen in the office that particular day for a sickness of some kind.

Can't imagine a doctor ever doing this!

I work in a high school and we have the same policy... you miss graduation practice you don't walk. We have 3 practices for graduation. That being said I have been working in high schools for the past 17 years and every year we have at least one kid that misses graduation practice and still walks.

Its all about attitude and how you approach the administration. First as a PP suggested obtain a copy of the original calendar with the practices listed. Then have proof of the dates you purchased your cruise. With this information make an appointment with the principal. If he/she will not approve the absence tell him you will be going to the school board. Usually this alone will make the principal change their mind.

If you go to the superintendent with the same information and they support the school administration tell them you will go to the paper. This will make the school look foolish so the superintendent will more than likely give approval for the practice to be missed.

In 17 years I have never seen a student NOT walk due to missing graduation when the parents meet with administration calmly and with the facts. I have seen students not walk because they "forgot about practice", or "over slept."

I would deal with this sooner rather than later. Hope it all works out.

Policy is ridiculous and there are always exceptions to the rule. I would definitely go over the head of whomever you talked about cause they are being totally unreasonable. If those dates were given to you before you booked the cruise, an exception should be made. What would they do if she were in the hospital that day and COULDN"T be there? Not let her graduate?? There are always exceptions, you did your best to work around the dates you were given, you can't help that they informed you after plans were made.

As for sports during school breaks, I think that is totally ridiculous as well. My daughter is a sophomore and I know that is the policy here too for certain sports. That includes prom, senior trips, anything at all. I think if there is a school break , sports should not be allowed to be scheduled. My daughter's spring break started on Thursday and wouldn't you know they scheduled a track meet for that night. They only have 10-11 girls on the track team. WHY would you do that?? Yet every year it happens. Next time I talk to the athletic director I am going to mention it to her.

I have worked in a few doc's offices and they do not ever give a doctor's excuse unless you were actually seen in the office that particular day for a sickness of some kind.

Can't imagine a doctor ever doing this!

It depends on the situation. It depends on the history of the child. If the parents have them at the office every week for an excuse, then no, I probably wouldn't give them an excuse for a "free day". However, I think in this situation I wouldn't think twice about giving a high school senior who is going on family vacation a free day to skip a rehearsal.

Just because the doctor(s) you worked for never did it, does not mean its never been done. :rolleyes:

A bit overboard indeed. For my college graduations, one was a rehearsal for seating which lasted 30 minutes, and another was 1 hour which was really a pep rally, and them telling us about the different schools graduations and times, and follow the direction of the staff/marshall's directing us to our seats, up to the stage to get of diploma/degree, and then back to our seats. It wasn't a total waste of time, but I wish I'd know they put youtube videos and instructions of what was going to happen beforehand. As mentioned above, I would go in and have a meeting with the principle, and also inform the school board of the vacation as a backup in place of trying to get the Dr.'s note.

So you are going to take her to the ships Dr to get this document even if she is not sick?

That is not thinking outside the box, that is just dishonest, plain and simple.

You cannot do everything in life. Make a choice.

Frankly I could have cared less to participate in my HS or College graduation ceremony. Did it for my parents I guess.

Archived