Stowaway on the ms Ryndam!

Cruzer Two

Loved your pigeon story! Thanks!

Wonder if someone will notice his leg band and think he flew all the way there from Cuba. :D

Arewethereyet .... What's the story on your stowaway?

LuLu

~~~~

He came aboard in Key West. I tried to get him to clean up his poop, but he just laughed and walked away.

You've never been put down until a pigeon laughs at you.

My niece found a sparrow in the scupper on a Caribbean cruise on NCL. The poor thing was bedraggled, shivering and was too weak to move. She went and reported the bird to the purser's desk.

The lady at the desk told my niece not to worry, they found stowaway birds all the time and were prepared to deal with it. My niece would not leave the bird alone and went back up on desk to stay with the bird.

A NCL deckhand showed up with a small cage equipped with a water bottle and feeder. He carefully placed the bird inside and said the bird would be kept until the next port and then let go.

That's too funny lol LOVE IT!

We had visitors in Glacier Bay last September. That's the Grand Pacific Glacier in the background. This seagull kept swooping in, starting at the front of the ship and flying within feet of the balcony railing, all the way to the stern. He would fly by close enough to touch. I'm guessing he's used to the cruise ships and knows if he flys by enough times, someone will hold out a snack lol

7987336678_732d97f788.jpg

363 hungry sea gull by Rescue-Diver, on Flickr

He came aboard in Key West. I tried to get him to clean up his poop, but he just laughed and walked away.

You've never been put down until a pigeon laughs at you.

Thanks for "the rest of the story".

Yours was actually sort of pretty ... except for the POOP! :D

LuLu

~~~~

I too was on this sailing and Cruizer Two did a good job explaining our Pigeon. The only thing I would like to add is that the Captain said that they actually had picked up the Pigeon two sailings back. They were doing 7 day Caribbean cruises out of Tampa. So they had had the Pigeon on board for two weeks before we even got there. Obviously the Pigeon was wanting to go abroad.

The Captain felt that the Pigeon would do very well in Spain since he was sure he would be picking up a copy of Rosetta Stone.

Cathy in New Hampshire

When we did our transatlantic on the Noordam in 2010, we had numerous stowaways, most of them little birds, but also some sort of Falcon. On one of his daily talks, the captain (John Scott) pointed out that during the 7 days Atlantic transit, the Falcon was catching the little birds one by one, so not all stowaway stories have a happy ending I am afraid.

While I do enjoy the stories, there can be a very unfortunate down side to stowaways. The introduction of non native animals can have disastrous effect on the environment. The Norway rat and Brown Tree snakes are probably the best known examples. :(

Did anyone write down the letters and numbers on the leg band? If so we might be able to find out where he was from.

Randy

The Captain on the Ryndam said they had looked at the legband and that it was from a pigeon club in Cuba,they had gotten in contact with a pigeon club (can´t remember wich one)9 In the USA ,but they said they were not allowed to contact the club where the pigeon came from because it came from Cuba !!

Silly !!

Hope it is doing OK in Cadiz and someone has a look at the legband and notifies the Cuban club

There is a review in the reviews section of this cruise. The writer did not like the pigeon hitching a ride and was quite angry that nobody would deal with the bird and get rid of it.

Woody Allen didn't do pigeons any favours when he called them rats with wings. You look at the history of them and they are pretty remarkable. I am certain that review reflects a minority position.

Woody Allen didn't do pigeons any favours when he called them rats with wings. You look at the history of them and they are pretty remarkable. I am certain that review reflects a minority position.

And, they may appear on the menu in the MDR. So, ya never know......

Now I can't get that delightful song "Poisoning Pigeons in the Park" out of my head.

Thanks a bunch. ;)

Yup. Tom Lehrer was quite a guy. What was it he said?

"If, after hearing my songs, just one human being is inspired to say something nasty to a friend, or perhaps to strike a loved one, it will all have been worth the while."

I never could get the hang of "sick comedy" though I appreciate satire. To each his own. He is a legend.

There is a review in the reviews section of this cruise. The writer did not like the pigeon hitching a ride and was quite angry that nobody would deal with the bird and get rid of it.

I read that review . and was quite horrified !! It was lies all the way ! We never saw the Lido in the state this person seemed to find it !!

We went to see the pigeon everyday and one day met the Captain there coming to check on his stowaway! Everything was spotlessly clean !!

I couldnot believe we had been on the same ship !!!

Hope more people write their reviews !!!

Archived