Once you go Epic, can you go back?

My first cruise ever was on the Epic this past March for the 7 day Eastern Caribbean , and I had the time of my life. Granted, I went all out, bought a posh pass, spa pass, did the chef's table, and ate at every specialty restaurant.

I'm considering another cruise the same time next year and am definitely interested in the 10 Day and 11 Day Caribbean Itineraries on the Sun, or perhaps the 7 Day on the Pearl.

Given that the Epic was my first cruise, and I took advantage of all the bells and whistles, I'm wondering if I will enjoy a cruise on the older and smaller ships as much, given I will only have the Epic to compare it to. The Epic is also taking the Western Caribbean route so that would be an option too.

Just curious as to your thoughts!

Do you still enjoy going to the local carnival after going to Disney World?

Temper your expectations and I think you'll have a fabulous time.

:) Very good answer.

Our very first Norwegian cruise was on the Sun in 2006. Fell in love with Norwegian and free style and after 9 more Norwegian cruises we'll be back on the Sun in 32 days.

We've been on the Epic and had a great cruise. Had a stern balcony stateroom and a spa pass that we rarely used because there was so much else to do. Loved some things about the Epic (entertainment #1) and some things not as much as on other ships.

We're currently booked on the Epic for the 8 day next January. I keep going back and forth between wanting to do Breakaway/Getaway or one of the 11 or 12 day cruises on the Sun next January or February. Think that Waterfront on the new ships fixes what I missed on Epic but right now pricing is ugly high. Will be interesting to see how we feel after being back on the Sun. There is still plenty of time to cancel the Epic cruise and jump ship if so desired but I did get really good pricing and it is 8 days and has St Kitts ...... arghhhhh

The Epic and the Sun are totally different types of ships. Sun does have the Great Outdoors and a nice observation lounge ... no posh, no spa to speak of. No Howl at the Moon or Fat Cats. They do have great crew, nice size staterooms and regular Norwegian entertainment.

Probably can't make a bad decision.

I had/ have the same concerns. My DM and I cruised other NCL ships and loved them and then went on the Epic. We have decided to sail the Pearl again in 2015. We were reluctant as well due to old school entertainment on the other ships. We will just go in to it without certain expectations. On the other hand there are many things about the older ships we loved more than the Epic such as the atrium and pool area. Just work your way through them all :)

We have been on a lot of cruises with NCL and other cruise lines and Epic was our favorite cruise to date. Matter of fact, we enjoyed her so much we are going on her again this year. I can't think of one ship that we didn't enjoy but Epic was special.

Wheter or not you will enjoy a "lesser" ship will have to do more with your attitude and expectations. I've been on the Epic and thourghly enjoyed it. (Was not first cruise) Since then I've been on the Pearl & Dawn with next cruise being the Sun.

I went Epic, went back, and enjoyed cruises following the Epic.:D

Definitely, although not sure that it's possible if Epic is your first cruise. Epic was my 6th, and while it was by no means a bad cruise, I didn't really care for the mega-ship concept and probably wouldn't do another mega-ship no matter what line.

My sentiments exactly. Not a big fan of the mega-ships, looking forward to the Pearl next March.

My first cruise ever was on the Epic this past March for the 7 day Eastern Caribbean , and I had the time of my life. Granted, I went all out, bought a posh pass, spa pass, did the chef's table, and ate at every specialty restaurant.

I'm considering another cruise the same time next year and am definitely interested in the 10 Day and 11 Day Caribbean Itineraries on the Sun, or perhaps the 7 Day on the Pearl.

Given that the Epic was my first cruise, and I took advantage of all the bells and whistles, I'm wondering if I will enjoy a cruise on the older and smaller ships as much, given I will only have the Epic to compare it to. The Epic is also taking the Western Caribbean route so that would be an option too.

I've been on various sized ships, and I think I could. Just did Epic twice in a row, and have Getaway and Breakaway next. You raise an interesting point, but .... it's still a cruise, right? The next one after these 2 might have to be a "smaller" ship because we want to go to Hawaii from CA, and I don't think any of the larger ships do that. I know we won't be on NCL for that, as they don't do that itinerary. Anyway, the Sky is one of my favrite ships, and it's tiny compared to Epic!!

Also, there's a lot to be said for the smaller ships. Only sailing on Epic, you did not get a poolside BBQ, or the great outdoors buffet. Take the Sky for example - the whole aft section is open. You can really see and connect with the ocean. It is a MUCH different cruising experience. Epic is more like a Vegas resort, whereas the smaller ships are definitely more "cruise" ship experiences. Try it :)

Smaller ships rule! The connection you feel with the sea over these newer ships is the main reason. Newer and bigger is not always better. You really need to try both and decide for yourself.

No! The reason why we can't go back is the Haven restaurant for dinner and the Haven lounge. We have loved all our cruises but after Epic it's very hard to go back to a ship without the Haven restaurant.

We just came back from an awesome Epic cruise. I was not sure how I would like the huge ship but I loved it. It was large and very different and had so much to do. We had two first time cruisers with us so we kept busy. Usually, in the past, we like to be low key and relaxed (my DH and I). We have booked the Pearl for next year and have mixed feelings about it. It will be our first suite experience so I know we will enjoy the cruise but we are afraid we will compare everything to the Epic. Of course we mainly cruise to get away and see places we have never been. If the Epic has a new itinerery we will sail her again, then again St Martin and St Thomas were awesome...maybe we will be on the Epic in the near future.:D

Of course you can "go back"!

My wife and I did the Epic on the Mediterranean as our first cruise -- we had a balcony cabin, and we loved every minute of it. At the time, I figured we had been spoiled for good. I even remember watching a presentation of the other NCL ships on the TV in our stateroom, and thinking that we would never be able to go back.

Fast forward to last year. We went on the Star to Bermuda, in an inside cabin -- and we loved it just as much. It was a different experience, of course, but we had a blast! The Star had some features we loved (like a wraparound promenade deck) that the Epic didn't have. The inside cabin wasn't as cushy as a balcony, but it was cozy and quiet, and very relaxing all the same -- plus the price was right.

So, for us, we definitely weren't spoiled by the Epic. You can find something unique that you like about just about any cruise ship.

I agree with the posters here. We had done several NCL cruises prior to our cruise in January on the Epic. We loved the Epic, but have also loved the Sun, the Star and the Jewel. Currently have the Gem and the Jewel booked. Have loved them all from the small to the large. We have never had a bad NCL cruise.

My sentiments exactly. Not a big fan of the mega-ships, looking forward to the Pearl next March.

The OP was; thus the dilemma. :) I too LOVE the big ships - Epic was great. Can't wait for the Breakaway!! I have the same concerns as the OP. I'm new to NCL and would love to try other ships but I'm a little nervous the smaller ships.

I have the same concerns as the OP. Have been on the Epic twice now. Hubby and I have to scrimp and save for two years just to afford an inside cabin on any ship. Wanted to do POA next, but could not justify paying the price when we would be off the ship so much exploring, would probably not be having meals on ship. So then came the dilemma, book a smaller ship, or bite the dust, live on KD, and try one of the new Mega-ships. KD it is! We are booked on the Breakaway for the 12 Caribbean in January. I just didn't feel that one of the smaller ships would be the same. I know that is close minded, but was not willing to take the chance with our hard earned vacation dollars on something that I might not enjoy as much.

Certainly!

I think every class of ship provides a different sort of cruise experience. You'll probably have a great time on the Jewel class, too!

As for me, I was on the maiden transAtlantic of the Epic, when it was still under construction all the way across the Atlantic. (No joke -- the suite next to ours wasn't completed until the day before we got to NY. The construction there flooded our cabin one day. :eek:)

Making allowances for all the problems with a maiden voyage, however, the Epic still isn't my cuppa tea. My most substantive complaint was with the basic ship architecture -- more like being in a floating mall than a ship, with few windows to the outside world. I really feel like NCL has listened to this feedback about the architecture of the new Breakaway and Getaway with all of the outdoor venues and lots more windows. May give one of them a try. But as for me? Epic? Never again.

The OP was; thus the dilemma. :) I too LOVE the big ships - Epic was great. Can't wait for the Breakaway!! I have the same concerns as the OP. I'm new to NCL and would love to try other ships but I'm a little nervous the smaller ships.

No need to be nervous about the smaller ships. The Jewel class have plenty to do. You won't be able to have dinner in a tent while watching an acrobatic play or spend 20 minutes shivering in an ice bar, but other than that and a couple of restaurants, I didn't really find that Epic had much more to offer than the Jade. Jade had several water slides, a theater, multiple lounges and bars, and several restaurants in addition to the 2 dining rooms and the buffet. Epic was mostly just more people, more crowds.

Like everyone else alluded to, every cruise has its own dynamic. I liked all of my cruises, all for different reasons. I'm on the Breakaway in a month. But, even when I went on the Norway (right before it was decommissioned), which was a much smaller ship, it was great for different reasons than my sailiing on the Epic.

Admittedly, I like some cruises better than others (NCL is my favorite line). But, they're all good.

Our first cruise was on Epic in the Mediterranean, and I found myself asking the same thing. But we booked the Pearl based on the itinerary we wanted for the family, and now it's Pearl that I desperately want to cruise on again! :)

[Now if I ever went for a suite...then I KNOW there'd be no going back!]

I love the Pearl -- it is my favorite of all! And I did a Haven 2 bedroom Suite on the Pearl once, and the next time had an OV. Didn't ruin my trip at all. The Epic was great for the entertainment, but it did feel more like a Vegas Hotel than a ship. Very little contact with the outdoors. Probably wouldn't do the Epic again.

I'd have to say that I have a similar problem to the OP. While I wasn't a new cruiser when I sailed on the Epic, I can't seem to book any other NCL ship now other than the Epic - my next 2 cruises will be on this ship again.

The one after that will either have us booking the Allure or the Getaway though. (can you tell we like the big ships?:) )

Archived