Getting bumped from a handicap cabin?

mfhonli

On our upcoming cruise the room type that we wanted was an OV spa deck...there are only 4 which 2 are handicap....The two that weren't handicapped were booked and the only 2 that were left was the modified cabin....After a long discussion with my PVP mainly my concern was someone needed the cabin but didn't see it available because we booked it that they wouldn't cruise for that reason thinking it was already booked because someone who needed it had booked it...So we decided against it...Also we were told that when you are bumped it can happen up to 2 days prior to sailing and you would be bumped to alike catagory....so we had an OV spa we could end up OV deck 2....maybe you would get bumped up but not always the case..We ended up getting a Spa balcony....I felt karma would like me more as I would have trouble sleeping knowing I took a HC cabin from someone who needed it

:::::::::::donning flame-retardant suit:::::::::::::

Sorry, but I don't see any problem with booking an HC room in order to gain more space. I trust that if someone needs the cabin, I will be bumped, no problem. Carnival DOES make it very clear AS you are booking that this could happen. Besides that, I travel solo, so I'm paying 200%, dealwiddit! :p

I DO have a problem with the idea of my booking a year ahead (AND traveling from the Pacific NW to get there), and then getting bumped by someone at the last minute who lives in Florida who can cruise pretty much any time they want! :( That isn't fair IMO.

I don't remember the doors of my 4J's being any different from any other cabin door, but there is an emergency call rope pull in the shower and a button or something by the bed, so you want to be careful not to accidentally call someone to your cabin when you're starkers! :eek:

Carnival's goal is to fill every cabin. Period. If they keep the HC cabins out of inventory too long, they will sail with empty rooms.

Booking a HC cabin only because you want the extra space is so wrong on so many levels! :mad:

THIS!!!!! Just because you WANT the extra room, you book an accessible cabin. But Carnival WILL NOT move you out of an accessible room...their booking software just shows that the cabin is booked....not that the person who booked it NEEDS the features of an accessible cabin. In actuality unless you book a cruise well after final payment or are upgraded to this type of cabin after final payment, you could be PREVENTING someone who truly NEEDS an accessible cabin from being able to cruise.

I have cruised in a HC cabin 2 times and never thought there was a difference in how the door worked?? The only difference is that the bathroom is bigger to allow for wheelchair access and the door is a little wider. If you are bumper from a HC cabin they can only upgrade you or put you in a the same category...

That is what I was thinking!

They will bump you to a room in the same category. If none are available, they will upgrade you. Don't worry about it. It happened to my sister once and they moved her to the cabin across the hall. It's only right if someone needs it. Enjoy your cruise!

Edited by cruizinisthebest

THIS!!!!! Just because you WANT the extra room, you book an accessible cabin. But Carnival WILL NOT move you out of an accessible room...their booking software just shows that the cabin is booked....not that the person who booked it NEEDS the features of an accessible cabin. In actuality unless you book a cruise well after final payment or are upgraded to this type of cabin after final payment, you could be PREVENTING someone who truly NEEDS an accessible cabin from being able to cruise.

Wrong! Yes they will bump you if you do not need the HC cabin. There are several threads on here that prove it has happened. If someone books a HC room it is not proventing a HC person from being able to cruise. Guess all those people who have been bumped are lying??

we were trying to book a quick get-a-way cruise this month (MAY) it fell thru because I could not get anyone to come tend the "Zoo"

However, the PVP at carnival was wonderful she told me outright..yup we have TWO cabins on the empress deck that are HC and we can bump both of them out. So take you pick of which HC room we wanted.

Unfortunately, I could not book anyone to come and house-sit on so short a notice.

Based on that I Do believe carnival will bump...YA !

Booking a HC cabin only because you want the extra space is so wrong on so many levels! :mad:

I agree and also think that the cruiselines should hold these cabins for HC persons and sell them to others only when all other cabins in that category are sold out after final payment is due. They could use them for GUARENTEED passengers if they have HC cabins left over. This seems like a no brainier to me.

Wrong! Yes they will bump you if you do not need the HC cabin. There are several threads on here that prove it has happened. If someone books a HC room it is not proventing a HC person from being able to cruise. Guess all those people who have been bumped are lying??

Really? i have known many people who have needed a w/c and needed a handicapped cabin who were not able to cruise because Carnival did NOT bump an able bodied person out. So, are my friends lying? Can we suffice it to say that it could be hit and miss on Carnival's part?

Really? i have known many people who have needed a w/c and needed a handicapped cabin who were not able to cruise because Carnival did NOT bump an able bodied person out. So, are my friends lying? Can we suffice it to say that it could be hit and miss on Carnival's part?

You are absolutely right it is hit or miss because they did not bump able bodied people from a handicapped cabin so my wheelchair bound Mom could have a handicapped cabin and we booked 7 months before sailing. I called and begged every week right up to the sail date.

It was very difficult for me to lift her wheelchair up over the bathroom lip and to lift her from the wheelchair to the shower seat so I could bathe her. It would have been nice to be able to wheel her in and out.

I ended up with a blown disk shortly after that cruise, from all the heavy lifting and my mobility is now an issue. The doctors say that all that lifting also made my spinal stenosis worse. It won't be long before DH is pushing me around in a wheelchair. But oh boy did those non-handicapped people enjoy all the extra space in their HC.

I still don't regret doing it for my Mom, even if I end up in a wheelchair because of it. I will always remember her smiles and the joy I was able to give her and am glad that I could do something wonderful for her while she was still alive.

I will be forever grateful to the room steward who came running up the hall whenever I came back to the cabin and helped me lift the wheelchair over the lip so I could get Mom in the cabin and to our waiter who insisted on wheeling her from the MDR to the elevator every night and literally fought people off so we could get on the elevator.

I agree and also think that the cruiselines should hold these cabins for HC persons and sell them to others only when all other cabins in that category are sold out after final payment is due. They could use them for GUARENTEED passengers if they have HC cabins left over. This seems like a no brainier to me.

By law this is what they are suppose to do. I can not believe they have gotten away with this all this time. It is so difficult to try to arrange any vacation with someone who is HC. This would make it so much easier.

Just an odd thought on this. How do they know if you are handicapped or not when you book ??? If I was to book one of these cabins online how would they know if I needed a handicapped room or just wanted the extra space ???? Do they ask?? And if I needed this room because of mobility issues I would be pretty ticked if they bumped me for someone else.

Just an odd thought on this. How do they know if you are handicapped or not when you book ??? If I was to book one of these cabins online how would they know if I needed a handicapped room or just wanted the extra space ???? Do they ask?? And if I needed this room because of mobility issues I would be pretty ticked if they bumped me for someone else.

Every time we book we have to fill out a form stating degree of mobility issues and the dimensions of my DH wheelchair.

I booked a cabin (9202 on the Splendor) with a Carninval agent on the phone. I did not ask for a handicap cabin; he did not tell me this was a handicap cabin, but I have come to learn that it is. I'm reading in other threads about people getting bumped from handicap cabins because there was a need for a disabled passenger. I really like the location of this cabin and would hate to loose it. Is it possible I might get bumped from this cabin? Has anyone had this happen to them? Did they notify you prior to departure?

it's odd that they'd book you in a handicapped room and not tell you about that... several times i've nearly booked handicapped rooms and my travel agent has told me before i even put a deposit down that i can (and likely would) get bumped from that room and to pick a different stateroom. i'm sorry that the carnival employee wasn't completely forthright with you when you booked.

yes they can bump you... i have a handicapped brother so i think about these things while most people don't... can you imagine going on a vacation where you can't even access the bathroom, the balcony?

there's a very limited number of handicapped staterooms in each category... out of respect for those who might actually have a need for a handicapped room, you should look at the deck plans and then change your stateroom to something else that is equally desirable.

it would really suck for you to get bumped so a truly handicapped passenger can vacation to and then not have a room that you would find comprable in location too.

Sorry, but I don't see any problem with booking an HC room in order to gain more space. I trust that if someone needs the cabin, I will be bumped, no problem. Carnival DOES make it very clear AS you are booking that this could happen. Besides that, I travel solo, so I'm paying 200%, dealwiddit! :p

I DO have a problem with the idea of my booking a year ahead (AND traveling from the Pacific NW to get there), and then getting bumped by someone at the last minute who lives in Florida who can cruise pretty much any time they want! :( That isn't fair IMO.

I don't remember the doors of my 4J's being any different from any other cabin door, but there is an emergency call rope pull in the shower and a button or something by the bed, so you want to be careful not to accidentally call someone to your cabin when you're starkers! :eek:

Carnival's goal is to fill every cabin. Period. If they keep the HC cabins out of inventory too long, they will sail with empty rooms.

Just because you travel solo doesn't give you any more rights than anyone else, and if you are traveling solo why do you need the extra room ? You're just being inconsiderate. And if someone in Florida books a cruise at the last minute and you get bumped, which I hope happens, in your own words " dealwiddit "

You stole a HC room from another in need and you see no problem with that????

and IF there are rooms of the SAME category, same area, ect..and YOU get bumper how is THAT unfair??????

My understanding is carnival WILL NOT bump you if they cant either offer you the same category OR upgrade you. So if they bump you and you GET what you paid for..then so BE IT.

as for carnival sailing with empty rooms..RARELY happens...

so as you state..if you get bumped then dealwiddit!

Sorry, but I don't see any problem with booking an HC room in order to gain more space.

I am guessing you never had a problem with someone who is handicapped and the problems we face by booking rooms-not just on cruise ships but evrywhere in general. and I hope you never have to face that problem either.

Carnival does NOT always bump abled bodied people-- some agents are lazy and will just tell the person there is no rooms available

What if someone comes along and books in July and needs a HC cabin? I would expect Carnival to bump OP and provide the HC cabin to the person needed it.

I thought ADA would require Carnival to provide the HC cabin if they are able to (by bumping someone booked in an HC that doesn't need it).

Couple of problems that I see with this and I may be way out in left field.

#1 ADA??? This is not an American flagged ship.

#2 As the original post states, no one asked anyone if they required this cabin for HC use. So first they would have to contact anyone in all HC cabins and actually asked if they required it (and since no one is required to show proof that they actually need it, they have to trust that people are going to be honest with requesting one). If someone wanted one for other reasons, all they would have to say is yes I require one.

The problem with the "laws" surrounding disabilities. In order to get a HC car sticker here, you have to have proof through a doctor that its required. However, in order to get a HC room in a hotel or cruiseship or whatever, no proof is needed and no one is "allowed" to ask for proof, details or specifics. In order to bring a service dog anywhere, no proof is needed. Yes people with disabilities deserve their privacy, on the other hand they are the ones that are actually on the losing end because if no one needs proof, it leaves it up to personal honesty (which IMO is never a good yard stick to use).

Edited by che5904

You stole a HC room from another in need and you see no problem with that????

and IF there are rooms of the SAME category, same area, ect..and YOU get bumper how is THAT unfair??????

My understanding is carnival WILL NOT bump you if they cant either offer you the same category OR upgrade you. So if they bump you and you GET what you paid for..then so BE IT.

as for carnival sailing with empty rooms..RARELY happens...

so as you state..if you get bumped then dealwiddit!

I'm not sure how you arrived at your first statement. I booked an available cabin that happens to be HC. I was warned that I could be bumped if someone else NEEDS it. No problem, I will deal with it if and when it happens. It is mildly annoying that I have booked a year ahead and could be bumped by someone who books within a month of the cruise, but it would and will not ruin my cruise if/when it happens.

I am guessing you never had a problem with someone who is handicapped and the problems we face by booking rooms-not just on cruise ships but evrywhere in general. and I hope you never have to face that problem either.

Carnival does NOT always bump abled bodied people-- some agents are lazy and will just tell the person there is no rooms available

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You don't know me, my morals, or the people in my life.

It's interesting that blame is being placed on someone who booked an available room, instead of on the cruise line, TA, or PVP. It's not my fault if they fail to follow through as they should if a HC room is requested.

Several people in this thread have mentioned that they know of people who have been bumped, or were offered that opportunity. I trust that I will be bumped if someone needs the cabin. It's ultimately Carnival's responsibility to make sure that happens.

Just because you travel solo doesn't give you any more rights than anyone else, and if you are traveling solo why do you need the extra room ? You're just being inconsiderate. And if someone in Florida books a cruise at the last minute and you get bumped, which I hope happens, in your own words " dealwiddit "

I did not say I have any more rights than anyone else. It's not inconsiderate to book an available room! If someone needs it, I will be bumped, and I will "dealwiddit", no harm, no foul. Thank you SO much for the snarky tone and general negativity, it's part of what is entertaining about the CC boards.

Seriously, people. I'll say it one more time. Carnival makes the rooms available so they will not sail with empty cabins. If someone does not need an HC cabin, it is VERY clear that they can and will be bumped if someone else needs one. I don't understand where the self-righteous "*I* wouldn't do such a thing" attitude comes from, it makes no sense at all.

Edited by LibratPDX

I'm did not say I have any more rights than anyone else. It's not inconsiderate to book an available room. If someone needs it, I will be bumped, and I will "dealwiddit", no harm, no foul. Thank you SO much for the snarky tone and general negativity, it's part of what is entertaining about the CC boards.

Seriously, people. I'll say it one more time. Carnival makes the rooms available so they will not sail with empty cabins. If someone does not need an HC cabin, it is VERY clear that they can and will be bumped if someone else needs one. I don't understand where the self-righteous "*I* wouldn't do such a thing" attitude comes from, it makes no sense at all.

You're welcome

Besides that, I travel solo, so I'm paying 200%, dealwiddit! :p

I would guess the above is why people are replying to you with a snarky tone.

As for it not being "fair" that someone in Florida can book at the last minute and bump you from an HC cabin, they'd probably say life isn't fair that they need a HC cabin in the first place.

That said, I do think Carnival (and any other cruiseline or hotel) is wrong for letting just anyone book a HC cabin so far out.

I would guess the above is why people are replying to you with a snarky tone.

As for it not being "fair" that someone in Florida can book at the last minute and bump you from an HC cabin, they'd probably say life isn't fair that they need a HC cabin in the first place.

That said, I do think Carnival (and any other cruiseline or hotel) is wrong for letting just anyone book a HC cabin so far out.

Well, it was a sarcastic but true statement; it's absolutely NOT about any entitlement and I'm sure it hit some people that way. For that, I apologize, it is not my nature or point of view. I am very well aware that life is not fair, I will spare you the story of my life and list of my complaints....and you're welcome! :p

Obviously I will DEALWIDDIT if and when I get bumped, and I will still enjoy my cruise, no matter where they relocate me. At least I'm not lying or claiming my current medical issues as a reason to keep the cabin.

That's a good point; if enough people campaign the cruise lines/hotels, perhaps things could be changed.

I'm not sure how you arrived at your first statement. I booked an available cabin that happens to be HC. I was warned that I could be bumped if someone else NEEDS it. No problem, I will deal with it if and when it happens. It is mildly annoying that I have booked a year ahead and could be bumped by someone who books within a month of the cruise, but it would and will not ruin my cruise if/when it happens.

One thing has nothing to do with the other. You don't know me, my morals, or the people in my life.

It's interesting that blame is being placed on someone who booked an available room, instead of on the cruise line, TA, or PVP. It's not my fault if they fail to follow through as they should if a HC room is requested.

Several people in this thread have mentioned that they know of people who have been bumped, or were offered that opportunity. I trust that I will be bumped if someone needs the cabin. It's ultimately Carnival's responsibility to make sure that happens.

you are booking a year in advance and YOU book a HC room for the extra space..and YOU DON'T NEED IT. Then you have the balls to say "poor me its not fair if a HC person bumps me from a HC room that I BOOKED a year in advance. "

And then we are told to dealwidthit

and your not snarky....

thats like me saying "I am not handicapped either..:)"

reality is Carnival and the other cruise lines can do more too ensure these rooms are either BOOKED by HC people OR are the LAST ones to be booked..

but PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY plays a role here also...its not YOUR FAULT you asked for the HC room knowing it was HC..its THEIR fault...right??

Just because YOU can.. doesn't mean it is RIGHT.

A HC is a PITA if you don't need it. The balcony might be larger but the ramp-like slant makes it impossible to slide loungers/chairs backwards. The doors, as I mentioned, work automatically and you have to wait for them to open/shut. The large shower is nice but do you really need a shower AND a tub? I would never pay more for an upsell to a HC suite again. As I said, we got the call about two weeks before sailing and I wanted the extra room. Not worth the price I paid.

Not like that on Legend. What ship was this on?