Is Amazon cruise worth it?

The Amazon is a great cruise! Much to see and do.. close up too.... MALARIA is no concern. Manaus is a major sea port of 3+ milion....THe Amazon deliver 5 times ash much fresh water to the ocean as thext 5 larget rivers in the world....it is a cruise that belongs on every cruisers "done that list

'..we have done it twice and are loking forwrd to the next time..any particular questions that I can ask I will be happy to so,, Rob Mcgregor.:cool:

Edited by AWED23
spell

Well worth exploring Amazon - native villages overrun with kids - guess there's not much TV there!

Beautiful opera house at Manaus rivals Vienna Opera House!

The Brazil and Amazon stops and tours appear a little dull.

Can anyone comment on this voyage? Thanks.

tripperva

I agree with you. Actually, we have not done this itinerary due to heat/bug issues. When we have covered the rest of the world, we'll try the Amazon (have been to Brazil). In the meantime, we have enjoyed watching videos of the area.

Actually, you are the best judge of what you would enjoy. Suggest that you do a little reading about the areas, look at the average temperatures for the time of the year you plan on sailing, etc. I would also go into the Regent website and take a look at the descriptions of the excursions offered and see if you are interested in them. You can even go a bit deeper by Googling (or Bing(ing)?) the ports and reading an overview of the area.

Let us know what you decide:-)

Edited by Travelcat2

Actually, we have done this cruise. The ports are interesting and the tours are anything but dull. It's been our best cruise to date.

If, you are doing Rio to Miami I would suggest a few days pre cruise in Rio. We found it a safe and exciting city with many things to do and see. Make sure you try a Caipirinha, the National drink of Brazil. We loved them!

We did Delta from home to Atlanta, then on to Rio Business Class. Best service, food, drink and menu we have seen on any airline. And, the seats were great.

Was surprised the Amazon was not hotter. The equator does run thru parts of it.

Although, while on tour it did heat up quite a bit.

We did get shots for Yellow Fever. Some have said they were not needed, but we decided to be on the safe side. Also, at the time Regent required we get them. You could check with them to see if they are still required.

My wife and I went on this cruise (Mariner - Rio to Ft. Lauderdale) and really enjoyed every minute. Did not get the yellow fever shots. Regent recommends them (out of a preponderance of caution) but they are not required.

Thanks to all for your comments. We have been to Rio and all the places on this cruise except for the Amazon stops. Regent will spend one week in the Amazon during the 21 day cruise. Also, nine sea days on the trip.

Have sort of hesitated to post but in our opinion on our cruise (2/26-3/20) this was not our favorite trip.

Thanks for posting. Please expand on the "why" so that other readers can understand if the issues that bothered you would bother them.

The Brazil and Amazon stops and tours appear a little dull.

Can anyone comment on this voyage? Thanks.

tripperva

The Amazon was part of a cruise we did earlier this year on another luxury line.

Like most things you are going to have a range of views from those who really enjoyed it to those who didn't care for it.

We loved it and are very happy we had the opportunity to see the ports up close and to sail the Amazon River. This is all part of discovery and we are grateful to have the opportunity to see new places through our very own eyes.

You will see large cities and some very small ones and much that this area has to offer.

Before we went we hear a range of opinions as well and I can honestly say that we thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

It's not Paris or Rome but it is part of this wonderful world we live on and I would recommend the cruise. Yes, you have sea days too which are always very nice.

Keith

We did the rt Miami last fall and it was a delightful trip. Downside is you spend a lot of time in the caribbean, interesting ports but not the Amazon. You get a taste of the Amazon, but if you want the jungle experience one of the smaller vessels that go to Iquitos might fit your likes better. Nov water levels were low so a few of the more interesting tours were cancelled. Also water was rationed during part of the trip..thepassenger laundries were locked off for a couple of days, etc. Just a minor inconvenience.

The Navigator was a great ship for this itinerary. Lots of activities for the days onboard and interesting tours for port days. I highly recommend this cruise. Actually we may repeat it next year.

Hello ededmd, following is what I hope is a somewhat balanced report of our views of our recent Amazon cruise.

Although I said that it wasn’t our favorite, we are in fact glad that we took this cruise and found parts of it very interesting. This was particularly true of the time in Manaus and the combination of urban and wild land touring that was available. Tours that involve river trips on tributaries were also interesting with views of giant lily pads, birds, etc. We also thoroughly enjoyed the stop in Parintins. The Boi Bumba show is absolutely amazing. We also enjoyed walking around the village of Alter Do Chao. As others have stated there is a vast diversity in Brazil and along the Amazon including very large cities. The first two stops along the Brazilian coast were at extremely large urban (>2.5 million population) areas with an overnight stay in Fortaleza. These may be of more interest to some but they were not our “cup of tea”. Also, we have been to the Caribbean islands many times and therefore probably did not enjoy the stops in Barbados and St. Barths as much as others may.

We found the stop at Boca Da Valeria to be somewhat disturbing and, in our opinion, exploitive of both children and animals. Many visitors are taken with the cute children, some in “native” dress and their “pets”. However, thanks to information provided by Terry Breen, the excellent lecturer on board, we were provided with factual information prior to this stop. She advised that most of the wild animals are not really pets but are captured for the purpose of charging uninformed cruise ship visitors for photos. She also said that the young sloths and monkeys would only live for a week or two when captured to be displayed. This practice is further reinforced by the fact that schools in all of the neighboring villages are closed on the days that cruise ships arrive so that children can go to Boca DA Valeria to beg. On the other hand, my husband took a canoe trip up the Valeria to a real village with a local gentleman and his 4-year-old son that was thoroughly enjoyable. We definitely understand the challenging economics of living in this isolated area but felt that there could be better ways to benefit from the stops of cruise ships than the somewhat synthetic theatrics that currently are being rewarded.

We were on the same cruise as Patti22 (Hi Patti!) as part of the Circle South America earlier this year.

We found the Amazon just fascinating - and it does creep up on you. At first it was lovely sunsets and the sheer size. But as you progress you become almost seduced by the way life just goes on despite the uncertainty the river presents.

Each stop was - with the exception of Manaus - not that significant in itself, but the cumulative experience was the most surprising and lasting aspect of the whole cruise. Swimming in the Amazon, piranha fishing, giant weird fish, pink dolphins, floating schools and petrol/gas stations are just there without too much fanfare.

The stop at Boca da Valeria divided the ship as to the value of the visit. So many of us were well informed by listening to Terry Breen's lectures as outlined earlier, we were cautious. I wonder if the children who turned out the greet us had any idea their money making initiatives had been given such a bad rap before we landed? Synthetic theatrics? Exploiting children? Yep. But we learnt a lot and it was the only time we actually squished our way around a village and got close to the caboclo Amazon residents. We had many discussions with our fellow passengers after this stop: for some it was the highlight of their trip, for others it was just scary - with not much middle ground. Very thought provoking as Patti suggests. We had been alerted prior to boarding through CC discussions of what to expect and did bring bulk stationery supplies for the community school Regent supports. And one day a cruise visitor may be the person to devise a plan to benefit the area more globally.

But this was just one stop on a leg, and overall we were impressed by all stops except Fortaleza which was a bit dull. It did, however, provide an opportunity for a very energetic folkloric troupe to come on board to entertain us that night.

Yes, there are a few sea days - but some of this was scene setting and setting up the logistics for the Amazon. Sometimes it's great to have a break from ports and enjoy a bit of frivolity such as the Crossing of the Equator.

And as we are from Australia and it's not a place we'd been to before, the Caribbean stops were just great for us.

• 9 months later...

For a much different experience, and a chance to explore deep into the rain forest, we took International Expeditions' La Estrella out and back from Iquitos, Peru. It's 1000 miles upstream from Manaus, and really is in the jungle. The ship was comfortable, the naturalist guides were fabulous, excursions by skiff into narrow tributaries brought us in close contact with wildlife. We also visited two villages and took a jungle walk (only one, because this was high-water season). I wanted to write a CC review for this cruise, to let others know how terrific it is, but could find no place to do it on the website. Highly recommended!

Hey JoAnneB

Did you know it will soon be the 10th anniversary of postings on The Sea Dream Yacht Club forum

and guess what again

you were the first !!!!!

Please make contact with ho hum on the .....idle jottings thread of The Sea Dream Yacht Club forum.

Ho hum has so many questions to ask you; you have such experience of cruising.

Kind regards

Interesting topic.

My contribution is that I have never had any desire to cruise down, or up, the Amazon & nothing posted so far has persuaded me otherwise.

It is, surely, a matter of personal choice & preference? It might be other people's "must do" list, but it certainly isn't on mine & I do dislike other folks telling me that I must/ should do it or that it will, somehow, improve my life if I do. Isn't that a tad presumptuous, not to mention, patronising? Quite frankly, I've survived for 58 years without seeing the Amazon "in the flesh" and I hope to continue my life, fairly easily & comfortably, without bothering to do so.

In the same way, I wouldn't want to go to China either, even if someone else paid the fare! I don't try bungee jumping or downhill skiing for the same reason - just don't fancy it for all sorts of personal reasons.

Opera House in Manaus rivals Vienna's Opera house! That was worth the trip, along with the villages and the parting of the waters and the pink dolphins!

Edited by TedC

Opera House in Manaus rivals Vienna's Opera house! That was worth the trip, along with the villages and the parting of the waters and the pink dolphins!

I think is is called meeting of the waters. Parting of the waters is a whole other story. :)