Lido Music = too darn loud!!!!!!!!!!

WayTooCool

The last e-mail survey I got was useless. It asked questions with a choice of answers. No place for any comments. It was rediculous almost to the point of:

A. "Do you like us a little" or

B. "Do you like us a lot."

True ,reminds me of an old Stevie Wonder concert where Stevie ask.

How many of y'all liked that song raise your hands ? Then he said, Y'all can put your hands done now, I cant see em anyway :eek::o;)

... I saw a few people sitting there holding their ears.

How do you successfully complain to Carnival?

I know they've cut cruise expenses by no longer paying performers such as the wonderful pan performers, but jeeze looeeze, over-amplified ANY kind of music is just painful, regardless if it is rap country or classical.

Intrusively loud is too blankity blank loud!! ===> Try telling that to egotistical DJs!

It's difficult to successfully complain to Carnival.

The best you can do is to come to grips with the dismaying reality

that Carnival Cruises is not the line we fondly remember from some years ago

when it was reasonably acceptable to persons like us with some small measure of refinement.

I suspect that, after my seventh Carnival cruise(see countdown below)

I shall be switching to a cruise line of a more refined nature

and can only suggest that you do likewise - vote with your feet and your wallet! ;)

It's difficult to successfully complain to Carnival.

The best you can do is to come to grips with the dismaying reality

that Carnival Cruises is not the line we fondly remember from some years ago

when it was reasonably acceptable to persons like us with some small measure of refinement.

I suspect that, after my seventh Carnival cruise(see countdown below)

I shall be switching to a cruise line of a more refined nature

and can only suggest that you do likewise - vote with your feet and your wallet! ;)

It's gotten so bad that if you even complain about something you don't like, you are now put out there for public ridicule, by Carnival employees and well as your fellow cruisers, their customers.

I agree that the music is too loud .and at certain times not loud enough.

as far as polls, and feedback here pointing to most people feel the same way. Not sure if this represents the average Carnival cruiser.

JH is a sales rep, pitching products and services to his following. Of course he is going to say we are looking into it if most of his followers dont like it.

the bottom line is what the avg /targeted custor likes or dis-likes

as the other poster has stated ... vote with your wallet.

however one might be surprised to find that perhaps your not the targeted customer any longer..

At various time, you will see a thread about loud music on every cruise line board (recently Princess and Celebrity).

Marketing has determined that loud music = happy environment and more spending. Just the way of the world.

Those who don't like loud music have to find a spot that works for them rather than try to change the world.

I guess this thread talks to a DJ on the Lido deck. Have an opinion?

I don't have an opinion yet, but I will report back on May 26th. I don't mind loud music if it has a good beat and isn't distorted.

100% agree that sound is WAY too loud on the lido deck. It isn't just the continual thump, thump thump of the dance music either.

I used to enjoy eating breakfast and a cup of Joe near the pool - - but on our last Liberty cruise the giant TV was blasting Good Morning America or some other show. Really? We are on the high seas trying to "get away" and one is subjected to that? And at an unbelievably loud volume.

For the record, I am not an old fogey(sp?) and enjoy a good time. I have always enjoyed my Carnival cruises - - but the transformation of the Lido deck from an enjoyable vibe to a non-stop volume blast is beyond disappointing. I have a hunch that whoever sets the volume has lost their hearing, or has never measured the volume. Perhaps on my next cruise I will measure to demonstrate just how bad it has become.

It's funny that the music on the lido on our Med cruise on the Breeze was the only place we didn't feel the music was WAY TOO LOUD.

We had to wear earplugs for most of the shows and the Divas show was so over amped, it distorted the singers voices. The poor guys in the Red Frog pub were singing to themselves, because it was too loud to sit anywhere near them. We couldn't find a place to sit with our friends & have a conversation and a relaxing drink. Of course we did end up with the lowest bar bill ever.

Jamie was are cruise director, John having left part way for buisiness in Miami, and she didn't see anything wrong, even though she couldn't hear my complaint at first.

John at least emailed me and said he agreed that it shouldn't be that loud. I expect music in the nightclub and on the lido to be a bit louder than the theater, and certainly you shouldn't be able to hear music from the Red Frog, the Ocean Plaza and the Piano Bar all at the same time.

I stay away from the middle area of the Lido deck. Can't stand the giant plug-in drug (TV), hate the loud music, don't care for any of the contests or the guided "fun."

I don't begrudge anyone who enjoys it. Have fun and leave me out of it. The nice thing about a really big ship is that you can always find peace and quiet away from all the hoopla.

I much prefer the sound of the sea, the breeze, and the chit chat of other cruisers.

I SO agree with you. I only go on the Lido deck if I am passing through. I get at the far end of the ship so I can read, sleep, sun, and talk. I never go to the contests, watch the big screen, etc.

Also, as a professional musician, I HATE karioke. Why do I want to spend time listening to drunk people that think they can sing, ruin a perfectly good song?

I SO agree with you. I only go on the Lido deck if I am passing through. I get at the far end of the ship so I can read, sleep, sun, and talk. I never go to the contests, watch the big screen, etc.

Also, as a professional musician, I HATE karioke. Why do I want to spend time listening to drunk people that think they can sing, ruin a perfectly good song?

Because drunk people are entertaining. Lol.

I agree about finding a nice quiet place though. I do the same. Usually the library. Or some out of the way place on a deck outside.

OK now I'm starting to get a little nervous about my cruise. My family and I haven't cruised since 07 and there have been a lot of changes since then. Back then there was no big screen on lido and they had the steel drum/pan bands playing daily. I've always enjoyed the caribbean/calypso music even as a teen (I took my first cruise when I was about 16 or 17). It's a caribbean cruise it only makes sense to play caribbean music.

I take a cruise vacation to escape every day life, the people, work, news, etc. and I would NOT want to see/hear that being blasted on lido while I eat breakfast. My grandparents loves to sit on the lido and listen to the music. My grandfather can sit out there for hours and thats normally what he does while we go into port. He may not be able to do that now if they have top 40 music blasting constantly. I'll go on this cruise with an open mind but if I find these things to be the same on the Valor this will probably be my last Carnival cruise for awhile. :(

OK now I'm starting to get a little nervous about my cruise. My family and I haven't cruised since 07 and there have been a lot of changes since then. Back then there was no big screen on lido and they had the steel drum/pan bands playing daily. I've always enjoyed the caribbean/calypso music even as a teen (I took my first cruise when I was about 16 or 17). It's a caribbean cruise it only makes sense to play caribbean music.

I take a cruise vacation to escape every day life, the people, work, news, etc. and I would NOT want to see/hear that being blasted on lido while I eat breakfast. My grandparents loves to sit on the lido and listen to the music. My grandfather can sit out there for hours and thats normally what he does while we go into port. He may not be able to do that now if they have top 40 music blasting constantly. I'll go on this cruise with an open mind but if I find these things to be the same on the Valor this will probably be my last Carnival cruise for awhile. :(

Nope, NO caribbean music, ALL Top 40/hip hop! Please look into other plans for your grandfather now! I am giving you fair warning now. Go to Serenity EARLY and get him a chair. They go fast. I usually wouldn't advise chair hogging but in this instance,,,,,,

I too just did a b2b on the same boat and did not have the same issue. In fact I had 20 friends and relatives of all ages and we sat and ate fine on the outdoor lido deck on either side.

Yes we had not seen each other in ages and chatted up a storm and from 18 to 80 nobody had a problem with the volume.

Maybe next time don't sit in front of a speaker? Or go up a flight or back behind the buffet. It's not rocket science to find a quiet place on a ship to eat or sunbathe.

If the Lido music is too loud, why not move to the aft pool if one is available?

Problem is everything is centered around the Lido. Its almost unavoidable at times. Some food places are on the Lido and its annoyingly loud to walk though it.

The Little Woman and I recently did a B2B on the Fascination; love the boat, HATE the painfully loud "music" on the Lido Deck! We could not sit on the Lido, enjoy our cheeseburger extravaganza lunch with our friends because you couldn't shout to be heard. Not good! Not good!!!

Probably being petty, but I saw a few people sitting there holding their ears. How do you successfully complain to Carnival? I know they've cut cruise expenses by no longer paying performers such as the wonderful pan performers, but jeeze looeeze, over-amplified ANY kind of music is just painful, regardless if it is rap country or classical. Intrusively loud is too blankity blank loud!!

Per our complaint about the excessive volume in the theatre for the production shows: "the sound level is at a fleet wide level and cannot be changed.!" :(

If the Lido music is too loud, why not move to the aft pool if one is available?

During our Med cruise on the Breeze last fall, the lido music was ok volume wise as long as we weren't right in front of the speakers.

In the rest of the venues from the piano bar, to the theater, to the Red Frog, the volume was way too loud. We took earplugs to the shows and our bar bill was the lowest it has ever been because there was no place to sit and listen to music while having a drink and still be able to carry on a conversation. We were pretty well bored in the evenings by about night 4.

The volume & type of music should indeed depend on the venue. My DH I are "geezers" but we are very much involved in music. He makes instruments, we both play, and he plays in a bagpipe band. I doubt very much if anyone would want to listen to his pipes inside the Red Frog, even though they are about the same db level as the amped music.

Since this cruise was so port intensive, this wasn't a deal breaker, but we won't be booking another cruise with Carnival if the entertainment doesn't improve.

Early in our crusing history, that was our destination. We loved the open fantail and the views.

Then they came out with the Destiny class and closed it in.

Then they started putting the waterworks back there, and converting some afts to Serenity, so we could no longer go.

After owning a weekend mobile DJ business and over 500 weddings and events from me and my team I might know what too loud is.

We've sailed aboard the Conquest and Triumph on several cruises and I carried my iPhone with decibel meter up to the lido deck. Just walking from fore to aft generated 91db, or enough to be uncomfortable. I verified the iPhone app with the meter at church where I lead the sound team for a 1500 seat sanctuary.

It's too loud, but it's that way for a reason. The theory is loud music generates more people moving around and spending money on drinks, or at least that's Carnival's logic. Not sure I agree, but when I talked with a friends son doing a 6 month tech rotation he shared this with me.

The sad thing is the quality of sound system is such they don't need to turn it up loud.

Regarding the mix, some DJ's love the remix versions of songs. They are longer, and allow for a "professional" sound at cross-fade with very little effort. If you doubt this go download Virtual DJ Free Edition and couple of dance tracks from iTunes and you are the funk master of your home.

This is just my opinion, it's not wrong, it might not be right in your mind.

I agree with the OP. I love music, love to party, love to hang out on the lido deck...but when me & my friends/family (age range from 10 yr old to 60s) have to yell to have a conversation...well that is ridiculous. I wish they would just lower it a tiny bit! PLEASE!!!

After owning a weekend mobile DJ business and over 500 weddings and events from me and my team I might know what too loud is.

We've sailed aboard the Conquest and Triumph on several cruises and I carried my iPhone with decibel meter up to the lido deck. Just walking from fore to aft generated 91db, or enough to be uncomfortable. I verified the iPhone app with the meter at church where I lead the sound team for a 1500 seat sanctuary.

It's too loud, but it's that way for a reason. The theory is loud music generates more people moving around and spending money on drinks, or at least that's Carnival's logic. Not sure I agree, but when I talked with a friends son doing a 6 month tech rotation he shared this with me.

The sad thing is the quality of sound system is such they don't need to turn it up loud.

Regarding the mix, some DJ's love the remix versions of songs. They are longer, and allow for a "professional" sound at cross-fade with very little effort. If you doubt this go download Virtual DJ Free Edition and couple of dance tracks from iTunes and you are the funk master of your home.

This is just my opinion, it's not wrong, it might not be right in your mind.

Very true.

Also, faster beats make people want to drink up quicker, thus consuming more in a shorter period of time.

A study on this showed than when a bar's music was 72 decibels, people ordered an average of 2.6 drinks and took 14.5 minutes to finish one. But when the volume was turned up to 88 decibels, customers ordered an average of 3.4 drinks and took 11.5 minutes to finish each one.

It's all about Carnival making more revenue, folks. Customer satisfaction is not part of the equation here.

Archived