Royal announces 3rd quantum ship, when will Celebrity do something.

dkjretired

Is a new build necessary?

Keith

To keep up, absolutely....Remember that if they started planning now, the new ship would probably not be out for five years and Reflection will be almost 6 years old. Solstice will be close to 10.

Not going to happen; larger ships are for more cost efficient.

As part of a portfolio of brands, smaller ships can work. Depends how your market is segmented, and how you price it. Some people simply won't travel on a huge ship, but will pay a premium for a smaller ship.

You may be right for X though, the ships are getting bigger not smaller, might be the market they are targeting now likes, or tolerates, larger ships. I won't be on Quantum - I think you could lose people on there!

I agree that you need to keep building ships that will attract the masses. That will, unfortunately, push away some of the cruisers that like the smaller feel. I guess those cruisers will eventually go to azamara or oceania or seabourn....

Personally, I'd like to try Quantum of the Seas, just because it's different, but right now, my focus is on trying to make it to Elite on Celebrity first :-)

I think 3,000 people is more than enough to provide enough options and variety, but you can still feel special. I have the idea that on the mega-ships I'd just be lost in the shuffle. That's one of the reasons I love Celebrity. I'd like to see new and interesting ships, but not bigger.

I agree that you need to keep building ships that will attract the masses. That will, unfortunately, push away some of the cruisers that like the smaller feel. I guess those cruisers will eventually go to azamara or oceania or seabourn....

Personally, I'd like to try Quantum of the Seas, just because it's different, but right now, my focus is on trying to make it to Elite on Celebrity first :-)

Everything is relative, I remember people swearing they would never, never sail on the Century because she was too big.

Royal Caribbean just announced a contract for a third Quantum ship to be delivered in 2016. Since there is such a lead time when will Celebrity announce a new build.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/royal-caribbean-firms-deal-for-a-third-quantum-newbuild-at-meyer.html

I'd sooner Azamara--also in the Royal Caribbean cruise family--build a new ship before Celebrity. They need one more. ;)

In this day and age of rough economic times throughout the world, and the fact that cruise lines are having problems filling the ships they have now, plus knowing cruise lines are/might pull out of Europe in the near future, I can't understand all the building of these huge ships. I'm quite surprised that RCI is continuing to expand their fleet despite all reports that bookings are soft, and to be honest, all the "situations" happening on ships aren't fostering good will on reluctant cruisers.

Unless X plans on selling Century/Millennium I just can't see why they would expand the fleet, especially if reports of soft bookings are true and continue. I agree with the poster who said to add a ship (or two) to Azamara. The only reason I won't cruise that line is because I never liked the Renaissance ships as they are too small and their cabins are way beyond tiny.

I'd sooner Azamara--also in the Royal Caribbean cruise family--build a new ship before Celebrity. They need one more. ;)

Hi Dln,

I agree. Of Royal's 3 USA based brands, Azamara is the only one without a newbuild. It's been rumored for some time, and IMO, long overdue. I'd love to see Celebrity add more ships, but I wonder if RCCL might be happy where they are right now.

When that day comes for Celebrity, I highly doubt they will be any smaller than the S-Class. I wouldn't be surprised to see them around the 140-150,000 ton range. I realize that some may not be happy with that prospect, but it's far more profitable to build them larger, as economies of scale kick in.

Why? They built the Reflection and didn't improve on anything they made it worse.

Don't need an amusement park or central park. I guess they could have a sandy beach along the water line with access to the ocean.

In this day and age of rough economic times throughout the world, and the fact that cruise lines are having problems filling the ships they have now, plus knowing cruise lines are/might pull out of Europe in the near future, I can't understand all the building of these huge ships. I'm quite surprised that RCI is continuing to expand their fleet despite all reports that bookings are soft, and to be honest, all the "situations" happening on ships aren't fostering good will on reluctant cruisers.

Unless X plans on selling Century/Millennium I just can't see why they would expand the fleet, especially if reports of soft bookings are true and continue. I agree with the poster who said to add a ship (or two) to Azamara. The only reason I won't cruise that line is because I never liked the Renaissance ships as they are too small and their cabins are way beyond tiny.

Not sure about how rough a time the cruise lines are having. But if the number of new builds are an indication, the cruise lines are bullish on the future. Royal is now building the Quantum of the Seas, with a second one to be delivered in 2015, and a third build just signed off on. And they are building a third Oasis class ship as well. Princess is building new ships, as is Carnival and NCL. At the moment there are at least 10 new ships being built or scheduled for the major cruise lines.

Doesn't sound like the cruise lines are aware of the reports of soft bookings. But what do they know? They only run the companies, not vacation on them as the passengers - the real experts. :rolleyes:

Why? They built the Reflection and didn't improve on anything they made it worse.

This is a matter of opinion. I found Reflection to be the best ship I have ever sailed on. But then again, I have actually been on her, so what do I know. :D

More ships will mean more new crew will be needed. I think that we all know what that will mean for service :( You can be certain that any new builds will increase the percentage of space used for cabins and revenue producing areas. We are seeing this tend as it develops. We might now be living in "the good old days". Just watch what you wish for.

This is a matter of opinion. I found Reflection to be the best ship I have ever sailed on. But then again, I have actually been on her, so what do I know. :D

I'm also in the "love the Reflection" camp. Sure, Sky Lounge is smaller and has some difficulty hold Elite functions, but at least to me has a better overall design. I've also become a fan of those Elite drink coupons, but will avoid in engaging in a debate on this thread.

More ships will mean more new crew will be needed. I think that we all know what that will mean for service :( You can be certain that any new builds will increase the percentage of space used for cabins and revenue producing areas. We are seeing this tend as it develops. We might now be living in "the good old days". Just watch what you wish for.

What I find particularly odd are the posts by people complaining about the lack of public space due to more cabins and revenue areas, but then also admit they prefer smaller ships with only a few hundred people on board. I have been on 500 passenger ships, and 3,000 passenger ships. The larger ships have much more public space than the smaller ships, with a much wider variety of spaces and activities to enjoy. So what if they have more fee dining venues? As long as they have the same amount of free venues as the smaller ships, then what has been lost? As long as I can still do the same things for the base cruise fare, they can add dozens of revenue centers and my cruise experience doesn't change in a negative way. In fact, it allows me to have an even better experience if I want.

For Orator: as a comparison, the Century has a passenger space ration (PSR), the industry standard for this measurement, of 39.0 per passenger, while the Solstice has a PSR of 42.0 per passenger. The Solstice, with more revenue centers and cabins, is actually larger per passenger. And Celebrity's smallest ship, the Expedition, only has a PSR of 30.0, making it even tighter on board.

Source: http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipFinder.do

Yep, all about opinion, Reflection is the worst of the Celebrity ships I have been on

Crowded everywhere and there doesn't seem to be an inch that isn't dedicated to raising further revenue

What I find particularly odd are the posts by people complaining about the lack of public space due to more cabins and revenue areas, but then also admit they prefer smaller ships with only a few hundred people on board. I have been on 500 passenger ships, and 3,000 passenger ships. The larger ships have much more public space than the smaller ships, with a much wider variety of spaces and activities to enjoy. So what if they have more fee dining venues? As long as they have the same amount of free venues as the smaller ships, then what has been lost? As long as I can still do the same things for the base cruise fare, they can add dozens of revenue centers and my cruise experience doesn't change in a negative way. In fact, it allows me to have an even better experience if I want.

For Orator: as a comparison, the Century has a passenger space ration (PSR), the industry standard for this measurement, of 39.0 per passenger, while the Solstice has a PSR of 42.0 per passenger. The Solstice, with more revenue centers and cabins, is actually larger per passenger. And Celebrity's smallest ship, the Expedition, only has a PSR of 30.0, making it even tighter on board.

Source: http://travel.travelocity.com/ecruise/ShipFinder.do

Thanks for the chart and information. Wonder what the numbers would look like if they only calculated the amount of space per passenger based on non revenue producing space.?

You may be right for X though, the ships are getting bigger not smaller, might be the market they are targeting now likes, or tolerates, larger ships. I won't be on Quantum - I think you could lose people on there!

Quantum will be smaller than Oasis and Allure... a step in the right direction.

Everything is relative, I remember people swearing they would never, never sail on the Century because she was too big.

You suffer from remembering too much...;)

Personally I love Reflection. I did not feel the crush of the crowds on her like I did for our repo on Summit this year. Summit was sailing full and on sea days it was just awlful. May sail Quantum when it get to NJ because it sails from my backyard. I have resisted sailing on Allure and Oasis. Not sure I want that big.:D.

Pat

Hi Dln,

I agree. Of Royal's 3 USA based brands, Azamara is the only one without a newbuild. It's been rumored for some time, and IMO, long overdue. I'd love to see Celebrity add more ships, but I wonder if RCCL might be happy where they are right now.

When that day comes for Celebrity, I highly doubt they will be any smaller than the S-Class. I wouldn't be surprised to see them around the 140-150,000 ton range. I realize that some may not be happy with that prospect, but it's far more profitable to build them larger, as economies of scale kick in.

Andy,

The day is coming when we will see the first 10,000 passenger ship and the rapid destruction of all the Carribbean Islands that these Mega Ships are slowly doing today. It is quite ridiculous to have 15,000 + passengers all walking on one another in St Thomas - I stopped doing those cruises as it is crazy with a herd of cattle all trying to buy duty free in a shop for 200 people and they are cramming 2,000 in - time for the cruise lines to put on the brakes - eventually it will catch up and you will start to see more and more go belly up

Scouser

Yep, all about opinion, Reflection is the worst of the Celebrity ships I have been on

Crowded everywhere and there doesn't seem to be an inch that isn't dedicated to raising further revenue

That's my opinion as well even though I've been onboard for 6 cruises already. I will not reflect too long on that decision but my preference is still for M-class ships where I will spend a couple of months this fall.

It's a good thing that we love different experiences otherwise we would all be on the same ship. ;)

My favorite lounge is the Sky lounge or its equivalent and Park West intrusion into my living room is something I will not pay for.

The nice thing about large ships is that there is always a location where you can go when certain things bother you. We enjoyed Oasis and will book Quantum sometime in the future. Choice is great.

Archived