Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

It could be floated in the same day that the Quantum is floated out - Aug 2, or later date. As for the Anthem megablock that is still in the hall with Quantum, don't know when it will float out.

Hrmmm...

I would have thought that the Quantum will be going right where this block is currently, which would require this Mega Block (1) to be moved out of the way prior to QoS getting there.

So, in my mind (which may not be correct), Mega Block(2), currently in the hall, will be floated out first.

Then QoS will be floated out.

Then Mega Block (1), currently docked outside will be floated back in with Mega Block (2) into the hall, to finish the join of the two blocks and to begin the addition of the other two sections.

Let me know if that sounds right.

Hrmmm...

I would have thought that the Quantum will be going right where this block is currently, which would require this Mega Block (1) to be moved out of the way prior to QoS getting there.

So, in my mind (which may not be correct), Mega Block(2), currently in the hall, will be floated out first.

Then Mega Block (1), currently docked outside will be floated back in with Mega Block (2) into the hall, to finish the join of the two blocks and to begin the addition of the other two sections.

Sounds good. Sure, they'll likely move megablock 1 to put Quantum in its place. As for megablock 2, we don't know if it'll be floated out any time before August 2 or just before the Quantum is floated out that morning.

I tweeted RCI PR and also asked someone in the Quantum Facebook Group who is an (ex-?) RCI employee, and will be there for the float out, but have yet to get a reply.

Edited by Lloyd555

Hrmmm...

That the general idea I had as well. First as you note, mega block 2 will have to be floated out before Quantum can exit the building dock. When that block 2 comes out where does it go, may be just close to the locks (gate to the river) to be temporarily out of the way. This way when Quantum comes out she temporarily stays tied to the very right (as you face the dock) thus allowing room for the re-entry into Hall 6 building dock of both Anthem mega blocks. If Anthem will be positioned in Hall 6 the same way Quantum is currently sits, then block 1 will have to re-enter the building dock first.

Edited by Tall-Cruiser

That shot is inside the ship (Note balcony doors). So that can be the deck the employee is working on, or as you say, a floor mated on the rest of the cabin before shipping the completed cabin to Meyer Werft.

5ec73169e26239a0fd6c19e689780916.jpg

There is this old photo of a cabin without a floor being lifted by crane. Don't know where it is being lifted - at factory or at the ship.

modular-cabin-crane.jpg

That image might be from anthem, the one siting outside. I say that because in the balcony area, its blue, like the sky. :) Assuming that is a quantum class photo, and not some other ship.

Edited by norn

That the general idea I had as well. First as you note, mega block 2 will have to be floated out before Quantum can exit the building dock. When that block 2 comes out where does it go, may be just close to the locks (gate to the river) to be temporarily out of the way. This way when Quantum comes out she temporarily stays tied to the very right (as you face the dock) thus allowing room for the re-entry into Hall 6 building dock of both Anthem mega blocks. If Anthem will be positioned in Hall 6 the same way Quantum is currently sits, then block 1 will have to re-enter the building dock first.

Exactly what I was thinking.

I'm not sure if it's accurate, but it sounds right.

Imagine how many tugs this exercise will take :eek:

Getting ready for her debut...

c08573f3-adb6-4cfc-b1e7-eab37a25321e.jpg

Photo by Friedhelm Ohm at http://www.fotocommunity.de

Awesome Photo!

So, with little time left for her deployment, I wonder what's left to do on the buildout punch-list.

Any thoughts?

Help me build this out :D

We can start with this:

• Attach North Star
  • Attach Flow Riders (see Lloyd's picture of the Flowrider coming in)
  • Sea Trials

That image might be from anthem, the one siting outside. I say that because in the balcony area, its blue, like the sky. :) Assuming that is a quantum class photo, and not some other ship.

LOL. No, I mean really old photo; before the ship construction started.

Edited by Lloyd555

Awesome Photo!

So, with little time left for her deployment, I wonder what's left to do on the buildout punch-list.

Any thoughts?

Help me build this out :D

We can start with this:

•  
  • Attach North Star

• Attach Flow Riders (see Lloyd's picture of the Flowrider coming in)

• Sea Trials

Ripcord? Finish smokestacks/masts

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Has anyone seen any of the lifeboats as yet?

Which supplier is being used does anyone know? - I know all Royal ships have classically used Harding, but on Celebrity Reflection last year I noticed it was another manufacturer

I think that is the funnel to the Quantum since there isn't one on there yet. With it's (the funnel) current location, I assume they are planning on moving the megablock and putting Quantum there next weekend to complete the outside work. If they have the space to store the items there now, might as well versus moving them next week for a second time.

Has anyone seen any of the lifeboats as yet?

Which supplier is being used does anyone know? - I know all Royal ships have classically used Harding, but on Celebrity Reflection last year I noticed it was another manufacturer

The lifeboats for the Celebrity Reflection were produced by Fassmer. But I don't know if they will be the supplier for the Quantum class ships, too.

Some nice pictures of the lifeboat production at Fassmer shipyard: http://www.schiffsjournal.de/zu-besuch-bei-fassmer-in-der-produktion-fur-tender-rettungsboote/

The lifeboats for the Celebrity Reflection were produced by Fassmer. But I don't know if they will be the supplier for the Quantum class ships, too.

Some nice pictures of the lifeboat production at Fassmer shipyard: http://www.schiffsjournal.de/zu-besuch-bei-fassmer-in-der-produktion-fur-tender-rettungsboote/

That's right! I couldn't recall the name off hand. Norwegian use Fassmer too don't they for breakaway and getaway I believe?

Not sure that they will put the Lifeboats on before the river conveyance as Quantum is the widest (beam at water line) ship that will go through those locks. Maybe they will put them on to run some test first. There will be a slight overhang as each Lifeboat sits on deck 5. If I recall right I think I have seen a picture of one ship were the Lifeboats were only installed on one side as it went through the locks.

Not sure that they will put the Lifeboats on before the river conveyance as Quantum is the widest (beam at water line) ship that will go through those locks. Maybe they will put them on to run some test first. There will be a slight overhang as each Lifeboat sits on deck 5. If I recall right I think I have seen a picture of one ship were the Lifeboats were only installed on one side as it went through the locks.

They also add weight to the ship so it would be better for the depth if they install afterwards as well. Not sure if they need any for safety regulations but the barrel ones should be able to count for that requirement.

Just tweeted by Royal Caribbean PR ‏

Never gets old: an impressive look at #QuantumoftheSeas' azipod testing #buildingacruiseship

BtZcyayCcAEfx7H.jpg

What a great photo. We rarely get to see below the level of the dock, so I thought this was particularly cool.

It looks like the propeller is on the other side of the plastic. I wonder why that is? Is it disconnected from the shaft?

What a great photo. We rarely get to see below the level of the dock, so I thought this was particularly cool.

It looks like the propeller is on the other side of the plastic. I wonder why that is? Is it disconnected from the shaft?

I don't think that the propellers have been installed yet. They weren't on the RCI PR tweeted photo (?) from a while back, nor this April photo.

ty7e8uty.jpg