Quantum Keel Blocks are in the House!

I'm awake. I was busy catching up on my roll call. We're onto our second thread. They shut down the first part because it was getting so long. And yes, also busy posting Oasis 3 photos. Sigh...why do I do this to myself!? :eek: Anyhow, she is coming along really well!

As for the Quantum-class ships, Nothing new except the photo below. We'll see her live very soon!!! August 3 at ? am/pm.

If you want to see inside photos posted here, will have to wait for renderings, an RCI reveal, or photos by the travel agents that are going out on a two day cruise from Southampton before the eight day transatlantic. There's a part of me that wants to wait until I see her live on November 2 to know what's inside. A small part of me, mind you. :o

I plan on getting photos of the Quantum from the moment I spot her in the water by the Southampton port (My hotel is yards away from the cruise terminal, so she can't sneak by me. :D ) to the day I disembark at Cape Liberty.

fe67c333442bc346ae7db9e15546d608.jpg

Lloyd - I just noticed after another look at this Quantum photo that the area to the left next to the Life Boat winches (looks like blue glass) is that "trellis" area we have discussed here a while back. Thoughts?

fe67c333442bc346ae7db9e15546d608.jpg

Lloyd - I just noticed after another look at this Quantum photo that the area to the left next to the Life Boat winches (looks like blue glass) is that "trellis" area we have discussed here a while back. Thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it is. I'm calling it a glass enclosed shelter now, only because it looks like the smoking shelter outside my office!

Edited by Lloyd555

I'm pretty sure it is. I'm calling it a glass enclosed shelter now, only because it looks like the smoking shelter outside my office!

Lloyd, does that area you are referring to tie in with a space on the deck plans...as in perhaps an entrance (boarding area) onto the ship ?

I wonder if there is one on the other side of the ship too ? :confused:

Lloyd, does that area you are referring to tie in with a space on the deck plans...as in perhaps an entrance (boarding area) onto the ship ?

I wonder if there is one on the other side of the ship too ? :confused:

There is one on the other side. It is next to Jamie's Italian restaurant and may be used as an outdoor eating area or not be connected with it at all. Boarding area ... don't think so.

There is one on the other side. It is next to Jamie's Italian restaurant and may be used as an outdoor eating area or not be connected with it at all. Boarding area ... don't think so.

I had this thought a while ago...that all the "trellis" looking area might be a bar or outdoor area for a restaurant. It's basically as close to the water as you can get without being in the hull.

State-of-the-Art Accommodations for Quantum: Inside Meyer Werft's Cabin Factory

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/424/state-of-the-art-accommodations-for-quantum-inside-meyer-werfts-cabin-factory/

A lot of good shots of the inside of cabins.

Also have a visitor photo from today:

9ecf6725fe60dda3c7359bf61875eb8e.jpg

Edited by Lloyd555

http://www.royalcaribbeanpresscenter.com/video/424/state-of-the-art-accommodations-for-quantum-inside-meyer-werfts-cabin-factory/

Anyone else notice that the round shower door is now clear glass instead of frosted plastic? It also looks like it may be a swinging door instead of slide, hard to tell that detail for sure though.

I wouldn't be surprised if the standard cabins have the phone booth style shower and the higher end cabins have the hinge mounted doors.

Pretty cool to watch that! I think it would probably be better to have as few "swinging" doors as possible on a moving ship though. Especially if they are glass. Just a thought :eek: Perhaps they are not real glass though.

Another dumb question: I am wondering if the electrical outlets on the desk (at least) can stay powered up even if a seapass card is not in the "light switch" near the door? :o

Denise

I enjoyed the video !! I do agree with the doors and all, but being a bigger guy those phone booths are some what trying at times.

My thought on the card in the wall to get power is goto guest services and ask for another sea pass and just leave it in there

I like this photo looking at the forward cabins and bow section of Quantum and along side it the Anthem forward cabin block (sitting in the bottom part of picture) that may be in that very same spot in a few months.

I like this photo looking at the forward cabins and bow section of Quantum and along side it the Anthem forward cabin block (sitting in the bottom part of picture) that may be in that very same spot in a few months.

Nice close-up of the Anthem block on the right that the FlowRider will be inserted into.

Thanks for the great link.

My bet is the phone booth type shower will be in my Studio Balcony :( The door looks like it's on a slide on the floor which disappears into the wall?

It's really hard to believe there will be any swinging doors anywhere. Imagine accidently walking into a clear door in the middle of the night. :eek:

My JS on the Ex had a glass partition similar to that part of the video but it was definitely stationary.

The 'key card' holder by the door reminds me of a hotel I stayed at in Australia. Once you pulled the card out of the slot to go out, it shut off the a/c. And, yes, any card worked to keep it going while I was out. Crikey, I was in a desert! No way was I going to walk into a 120 degree room!

Thanks for all the great photo's and links!!!

You can use any card you may have in your wallet.

Great I'll bring a used gift card or something. Used one for the safe on Carnival. Most worried about keeping phone and/or camera charged.

Denise

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Edited by DKNYC

That key card by the door seems like a terrible idea. Beyond the possibility of a hot room, what about simply locking yourself out. Happens all the time, someone runs out to do something quick and 20 seconds later we hear banging on the door as they realize they forgot their sea pass card. I spend most of my time alone and go back to my cabin all the time to get something, use the bathroom, or just kill 5 minutes. My sea pass goes in my pocket the moment I get up and remains there until I go to bed. Only time it comes out is to use it and then it goes right back. Have never been locked out (except on Indy when the card had to be replaced 3 times). If I go back to the cabin alone and have to put my card there in order to get light I'm bound to forget it half the time. This then opens up a huge liability as more people get locked out and house keeping starts trusting people and letting them in. Eventually someone will scam someone and steal something.

Seemed like a great idea in concept but not sure it works in reality. Must have been thought of by the same person that put the outlets on Oasis under the desk to open up more counter space.

Edited by DEIx15x8

That key card by the door seems like a terrible idea.

Seemed like a great idea in concept but not sure it works in reality.

The requirement for a card in a slot by the door is quite common in newer European hotels. As long as it placed in an obvious spot (close to the door handle to remind you of it) most folks will not have an issue. In most hotels, some outlets (by the desk) do stay on even when the card is removed.

That key card by the door seems like a terrible idea. Beyond the possibility of a hot room, what about simply locking yourself out. Happens all the time, someone runs out to do something quick and 20 seconds later we hear banging on the door as they realize they forgot their sea pass card. I spend most of my time alone and go back to my cabin all the time to get something, use the bathroom, or just kill 5 minutes. My sea pass goes in my pocket the moment I get up and remains there until I go to bed. Only time it comes out is to use it and then it goes right back. Have never been locked out (except on Indy when the card had to be replaced 3 times). If I go back to the cabin alone and have to put my card there in order to get light I'm bound to forget it half the time. This then opens up a huge liability as more people get locked out and house keeping starts trusting people and letting them in. Eventually someone will scam someone and steal something.

Seemed like a great idea in concept but not sure it works in reality. Must have been thought of by the same person that put the outlets on Oasis under the desk to open up more counter space.

It's not a new concept. NCL has done the card in slot for years with their ships, starting with Epic. As time goes on, you will see that they just leave dummy cards in the slots. If it is like other systems, you can use ANY card. All the card does is trigger a sensor. It's not a nuisance and you most likely won't think twice about it.

You have to remember. Meyer Werft is building Quantum Class. Meyer Werft has been building NCL ships....Meyer Werft builds the cabins. You're likely to have some similar features like the card slot.

Edited by hitaway4

It's not a new concept. NCL has done the card in slot for years with their ships, starting with Epic. As time goes on, you will see that they just leave dummy cards in the slots. If it is like other systems, you can use ANY card. All the card does is trigger a sensor. It's not a nuisance and you most likely won't think twice about it.

You have to remember. Meyer Werft is building Quantum Class. Meyer Werft has been building NCL ships....Meyer Werft builds the cabins. You're likely to have some similar features like the card slot.

Didn't know that. Must be operating smoothly then because I've never seen it mentioned in any of the recent new NCL ship build reviews.

It's not just NCL or ships built at Meyer-Werft, it's an industry trend to conserve energy. I've recently sailed on ROYAL PRINCESS built at Fincantieri in Italy and MSC DIVINA built at STX in France, and both ships had the card slots. Pretty much every new mass-market ship today has this feature regardless of where it's built. As someone mentioned earlier, it's also very common in large European hotel chains.

I should mention that certain things continue to run even with the card out of the slot, such as outlets and the a/c (at a lower speed).

I generally use a grocery store frequent buyer card for the slot and it works just fine.

Edited by eroller

Meyer Werft is the builder but not the navel architect. The card slot being there or not is RCI choice. Meyer Werft may have suggested it.